• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gallant was 118-75-20 with an expansion team in Vegas, made the playoffs both years and made the SCF. Damn good record. Must have been joining in on Montgomery's orgies.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
It is really funny they hired DeBoer though.

As to people wondering how the Knights could be so bold, they are tied with the Jets. That's a bad spot to be for a team as good as they are lol.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Paul Maurice has turned a team of great forwards into the worst puck possession team of the modern era in order to prop up his gutted defense (not his fault admittedly), thereby creating a worst possible system that can only win a hockey game if their goalie stands on his head and he'll never be fired.

I love Maurice for a lot of things. He's funny, thoughtful, great with the media, he seems genuinely invested in his players as human beings (and they love him for it) and he's just a good guy. But damn he's a horrible coach strategically and they'll miss the playoffs this year because of it.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
cYL3Ag0.gif

cYL3Ag0.gif

cYL3Ag0.gif

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gallant gets fired for just sitting on the cusp of a wildcard spot after 2 excllent seasons.

Meanwhile, in Habs land you can oversee several historical losing streaks and miss the playoffs 3 straight years and 4 out of 5, and you'll get extended!

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes, fire your head coach who put you in the Cup and Playoffs back to back and are in the edge of redoing that.

Oct 25, 2017
Knights are literally 3 points out of the division lead and, as has been illustrated, probably the best team in the Pacific despite their record.

I see no reason why DeBoer would do better than Gallant, but maybe a big change can have an affect on PDO. Either way, Pacific division stays stupid and the Canucks get another gift.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Both teams have bad goaltending. Both coaches are really good. End of story. I actually admire Bergevin for keeping Julien, because it's the right move.

I dont believe any GM in history aside from David Poile (and only very recently at that) has hired and fired TWO coaches and survived.

Bergevin is tied to Julien now and he knows that.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Gallant getting fired makes it feel like no coach is safe from a two game losing streak.

Oct 25, 2017
Wings are years away from competing - you need a placeholder coach to suffer the losses, develop their players, and ultimately get fired as a sacrificial goat. You don't bring Gallant in to be that guy

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wings are years away from competing - you need a placeholder coach to suffer the losses, develop their players, and ultimately get fired as a sacrificial goat. You don't bring Gallant in to be that guy

With Gallant, you'd have someone that should get the best out of players during the final rebuild years, and still remain on the upward trend that you won't need to sacrifice to go further. He shouldn't have a plateau just before competing, he'll punch in with the team.

Oct 25, 2017
With Gallant, you'd have someone that should get the best out of players during the final rebuild years, and still remain on the upward trend that you won't need to sacrifice to go further. He shouldn't have a plateau just before competing, he'll punch in with the team.
This strikes me as naive.

Also, how many "rebuild years" do the Wings have left?

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

" The Minnesota Wild are playing with 5 defensemen tonight because they.. forgot to list a 6th one on their lineup sheet."

lolwut?

Bruce Broudeau lineup mistake

This strikes me as naive.

Also, how many "rebuild years" do the Wings have left?

2-3 years 'rebuild'. another 2-3 edge of playoffs/get in as wild card, after that should be competing each year.

Really comes down to lottery this year. Getting #1 / Lafreniere should push the Wings to be on upward trend here on out. (edit: also comes down to finding a goalie. Yes, we need defense but that's coming in the system. Goalies are harder to come by)

If we go out looking for a coach with the mindset of putting up someone for sacrifice in ~3 years, why would anyone even look our direction til then? And if that's the case, we'll be stuck with Blashill til then. However, this guy can't even polish a turd, so that would likely push us back even further in years till competing.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, something stinks in Vegas and it isn't the shrimp cocktail. We may never know.
Earlier this season they were talking extension for Gallant.

Some are thinking it's due to Gallant looking to Free Agency in coaching at years end instead of extending right away. The performance was just an excuse to get rid of him early to get another coach before that coach got 'taken'

Oct 25, 2017
Bruce Broudeau lineup mistake

2-3 years 'rebuild'. another 2-3 edge of playoffs/get in as wild card, after that should be competing each year.

Really comes down to lottery this year. Getting #1 / Lafreniere should push the Wings to be on upward trend here on out. (edit: also comes down to finding a goalie. Yes, we need defense but that's coming in the system. Goalies are harder to come by)

If we go out looking for a coach with the mindset of putting up someone for sacrifice in ~3 years, why would anyone even look our direction til then? And if that's the case, we'll be stuck with Blashill til then. However, this guy can't even polish a turd, so that would likely push us back even further in years till competing.
Just my take as an outsider, but don't count your chickens before they hatch. You've got defense coming in the system? Besides Seider who isn't just a hope and a prayer? McIsaac? Not that none would be NHLers but none that would make a discernible impact. Wings will draft an elite forward even if they don't get Lafreniere, but goaltending will be the biggest issue. You can find someone in free agency, but it's always best to have a couple goalies in the system that can test AHL/NHL waters and develop without a big commitment. I don't think the Wings have anyone like that? Maybe they can find a college or European FA but the good ones always have lots of bidders.

As for the coach, I'm not saying the mindset should be to keep or hire a failure but if Gallant is hired he'll be fired before the Wings are competitive. GMs can only preach patience when the stink of losing hasn't been around that long. Eventually someone gets fired and it won't be Yzerman.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, something stinks in Vegas and it isn't the shrimp cocktail. We may never know.
Earlier this season they were talking extension for Gallant.
Believe it's performance. Vegas are supposed to be elite, but they're currently outside looking in after a 4-game losing streak. Even if Vegas brass know what 'PDO' stands for they may have felt they needed to fire him for optics. Making the SCF in their first season tends to set expectations high and it's something Vegas will struggle with for years.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be shocked if McCrimmon and Gallant didn't see eye to eye on something roster related or whatever, but I doubt it's more mysterious than that. Hell, McCrimmon might just really like DeBoer and saw a chance to nab him.

Status
Not open for further replies.