• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I feel like Seattle has made some obvious missteps in both the draft and free agency but just by virtue of starting at $0 and being able to pluck some good value players/contracts they've got a decent roster with some room to breathe. It's an aging roster, though, and still light on scorers. But they'll roll three pretty good lines with above average defense and goaltending I think?
What have they got so far?
1st line Gourde, Schwartz, Eberle
2nd line Wennberg, Donskoi, Tanev
3rd line McCann, Jarnkrok, Appleton
Defence Giordano, Larsson, Oleksiak, Soucy, Fleury
Goaltending Grubauer, Driedger

That's a solid defence and good goaltending IMO. Grubauer should be considered one of the best in the league and they got him locked up long term. They still have $15M cap space to fill out their forwards and improve on their scrub drafts. I'm not sure which teams have that kind of cap space left so they just might be able to grab one or two of the top UFAs still available. Not bad. Seattle will be fine.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Point got paid. That's a lot of money tied up in Point, Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman and Vasilevskiy.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Seattle has made some obvious missteps in both the draft and free agency but just by virtue of starting at $0 and being able to pluck some good value players/contracts they've got a decent roster with some room to breathe. It's an aging roster, though, and still light on scorers. But they'll roll three pretty good lines with above average defense and goaltending I think?

I feel like Seattle's expansion draft strategy was focused on not helping teams out with their cap issues more than anything.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Edmonton should be done unless there's trades involved. I agree that Holland isn't a good cap GM but the team is better than last year. Ceci replaces Larsson. Keith replaces Bear (Jones was useless). Foegele replaces Khaira. Hyman is a top line winger add without anybody lost. Hyman will be given a big opportunity to produce with McDavid. That's a better team, and they still have their top picks for upcoming years and it's a relatively young team. The oldest forward is 31. Puljujarvi and Yamamoto should improve and hopefully Klefbom is healthy. I'm liking Edmonton going forward.

The key was signing Nuge and Barrie long term. It would have been a terrible offseason if those guys weren't signed.

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton should be done unless there's trades involved. I agree that Holland isn't a good cap GM but the team is better than last year. Ceci replaces Larsson. Keith replaces Bear (Jones was useless). Foegele replaces Khaira. Hyman is a top line winger add without anybody lost. Hyman will be given a big opportunity to produce with McDavid. That's a better team, and they still have their top picks for upcoming years and it's a relatively young team. The oldest forward is 31. Puljujarvi and Yamamoto should improve and hopefully Klefbom is healthy. I'm liking Edmonton going forward.

The key was signing Nuge and Barrie long term. It would have been a terrible offseason if those guys weren't signed.
Ceci is worse than Larsson
Keith is worse than Bear
Foegele is better than Khaira
Hyman helps the top 6 a lot
Klefbom may be healthy now
Some players may improve (Puljus, Yamamoto, Bouchard)
Some players may get worse (RNH, Barrie, Smith)

Yeah I dunno. I'm not seeing it. Poor off-season for the Oilers, I'd say, but maybe their young players can offset the poor moves

Pacific will be interesting. Kings and Kraken are two big unknowns to me. Ducks and Sharks will still suck. Canucks will be near the bottom too thanks to that defense. Vegas will be the obvious favourite with Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton figuring out their placement behind, I'd guess