• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
The Athletic projects how much cap space each team will have, as well as how much of that will be allotted to RFAs:

0fVzTXi.png

Trading away a Vezina and Jennings award-winning goaltender for literally nothing.
They traded him for cap space.

Vegas needs cap space, and goaltending is an obvious place to cut costs -- Fleury is great, don't get me wrong, but he's also 37, and his contract is up next year, whereas Lehner is 30 and his contract lasts another three years.

Now, I do question getting so little, but I suppose there's a somewhat limited market for a $7 million goalie in a flat cap environment.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Can't really argue with the price on that one. It'll be good to have MAF to mentor the younger goalies too.

Crazed

Oct 25, 2017
Once again, this offseason continues to be quite entertaining, we'll see what free agency open season is like tomorrow.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
New rumor is MAF will nope out and retire if true.

He's also 2 or so seasons away from overtaking Roy's #2 position on the all-time wins list. And he just won the Vezina. I would find it odd if he retired even if he's not happy about the trade.

I wonder if this could potentially be part of a 3-team trade or something? The other details just haven't come out yet?

also how does a player find out about something like this through Twitter? Wouldn't MAF's agent have to be involved? or not necessarily?

Wouldn't MAF's agent have to be involved? or not necessarily?
No, they don't have to be involved. MAF's contract only has a modified no trade clause, so as long as the Blackhawks weren't on his list (and evidently they weren't) the team that owns his contract can do whatever they want with it.

Now, in practice it's often good to involve the player if you want them to actually play.

calder

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, you say Tampa will be good again next year and I say can anyone hope to slow down the powerhouse Hawks in the playoffs? Probably not.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Siri, google "Ho-Sang" and "fresh start" for me, then collate into pivot table so I can determine the freshest possible start.

OP
OP
Gunstar Legend
Oct 26, 2017
The Piss Knights dumped Gallant at the first sign of trouble, so getting rid of MAF probably shouldn't be as surprising as it is.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
This Vegas news has me positively glowing today. They take their most beloved player, who was critical to their ridiculously successful start to the franchise, and unceremoniously dump him off to a team with no interest in competing right now. An absolute insult to a guy basically everybody loves.

It's just great when the teams you already hate go out of their way to look bad.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
5 more years for Ovi basically confirms he is going to play until he beats Gretzky's all time goals record. Hell yes.

Basically needs to average 33 goals a year to get there.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Poor MAF, and I never thought anyone would get me to say that ever. Definitely lost a lot of respect for Vegas with that move.

5 more years for Ovi basically confirms he is going to play until he beats Gretzky's all time goals record. Hell yes.

Basically needs to average 33 goals a year to get there.
Good. I want him to do it so badly.