• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Yeah? You schedule the team for an east coast or / west coast trip. Otherwise there are likely multiple days off in between. It'snot really a new concept in sports. East coast teams have west coast trips often.

They do that infrequently, and they only face non conference opponents like twice a year as a result. There's a good reason for that.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Infrequent? Almost every time the Ass played someone in the east they'd play 3 or 4 road games in a row.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Or we could just keep things as they are. I don't know why you want this so badly lol

Location wise it makes sense to have the divisions as they are, for the most part. That's your answer.
Well, the only counterpoints have been "Travel" and "No". Again, I like the concept but ultimately it's not going to change my opinion on the sport.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Well, the only counterpoints have been "Travel" and "No". Again, I like the concept but ultimately it's not going to change my opinion on the sport.

To be fair, it's all just kinda arbitrary. If the higher ups wanted these divisions, they'd find a way to make it work and justify it.

It's a hard ask when only the Canadian division has 7 teams though. We need another Canadian team

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah? You schedule the team for an east coast or / west coast trip. Otherwise there are likely multiple days off in between. It'snot really a new concept in sports. East coast teams have west coast trips often.
Yes, infrequently. Because of the amount of travel. Like Abylim said.

But if you're already scheduling multiple games back-to-back in the same city, it knocks off the need to repeat visits.
Let's focus on this. Because if this is what you believe, then it sort of explains why you're confused.

1) They're not going to do this again. The only reason is because of covid and the incredible amount of travel. The NHL doesn't want to have B2Bs in the same city.
2) If the NHL were content with B2Bs in the same city, then they could do it with geographic-centric divisions as well and reduce travel by an incredible amount. But they're not going to do that, regardless.

You only need one counterpoint. Travel. It precludes any other reason for an 82-game schedule where a team like Vancouver would play multiple times in cities like Toronto (3364 km), Ottawa (3552 km), and Montreal (3693 km).

LA, San Jose and Anaheim are half that distance.

Not to mention that Seattle is joining next season.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I remember those days. Can't wait to get shut out by Marky 😃
Matthew-McConaughey.gif

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
I would take Spezza over Paquette just for the face offs alone. Especially if he can help our young guys with the face offs thats an extra.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Panthers allowing fans up to 25% capacity in their arena. I thought it was their normal crowd at first.

Seriously though. Fuck any team allowing fans into buildings.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Hey, the Penguins won a game. Cool?

Caught the highlights. Jesus Christ the defensive circus and coverage on two of Washington's goals. It's going to be one of those years.

Last edited:

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Having Miller back already just reminds me of players being "cleared to play" during the playoffs when they're clearly not. Is it privilege and/or money? The fact he was so cagey about it is also suspicious.

Oct 25, 2017
Welp. Varly may have busted his jaw.
Not sure where you got that from

Varlamov (jaw) is available to play Monday against the Bruins, per coach Barry Trotz, Arthur Staple of The Athletic reports.

Varlamov was injured in warmups Saturday when he took a puck to the jaw, but the Russian netminder appears to have gotten over the injury. Trotz hasn't named a starter for Monday's game yet, but there's a good chance Varlamov will get the nod over Ilya Sorokin now that he's healthy.