• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Laine teasing in OT and then gets stripped on a 2 on 1 (with pionk, he wasn't going to pass) but gets the puck back and rips it. I can't remember too many games last season where Laine scored on those insane wristers

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Laine teasing in OT and then gets stripped on a 2 on 1 (with pionk, he wasn't going to pass) but gets the puck back and rips it. I can't remember too many games last season where Laine scored on those insane wristers
I kind of miss that first season where it felt like everyone but the other team knew it was going in before it left his stick. Crazy good game for him tonight, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Markstrom is holding us in.
I remember those days. Can't wait to get shut out by Marky 😃
That goalie interference call on Yamamoto was soft as baby shit.
giphy.webp

Oct 25, 2017
I like the Hawks.

I'm just wondering what the Canucks are supposed to be good at. It isn't goaltending, defense or offense. Elias Pettersen was a non-entity.
You know they played last night, too, right?

I'm not even going to argue that the Canucks are good at any of those things, or that "Pettersen" is an 'entity' (I'm sure he's not), but your timing seems off following a B2B split in Edmonton.

Oct 25, 2017
Connor "Best Hockey Player On The Planet" had a decent night, he could have had the same 3-4 points the night before.

McDavid completely ate the Petterson line alive head to head.
McDavid had 4 points and the Pettersson line wasn't on the ice for any of them, but yeah Pettersson and his line were awful nevertheless. Two crossbars on the PP and that's about it

The real problem:

He was really bad and it was night 2. This schedule is going to turn Edler to dust.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
McDavid had 4 points and the Pettersson line wasn't on the ice for any of them, but yeah Pettersson and his line were awful nevertheless. Two crossbars on the PP and that's about it

The real problem:

He was really bad and it was night 2. This schedule is going to turn Edler to dust.

Lets be honest, anyone who watched that game would tell you ... McDavid was on a different planet from anyone else on the ice and that even includes Draisaitl who's the reigning scoring champion. McDavid could have easily had 2-3 more points than what he had.

When he is on his game, he's on a different level.

Oct 25, 2017
Lets be honest, anyone who watched that game would tell you ... McDavid was on a different planet from anyone else on the ice and that even includes Draisaitl who's the reigning scoring champion. McDavid could have easily had 2-3 more points than what he had.

When he is on his game, he's on a different level.
McDavid is definitely one of the top 3 or 5 forwards in the NHL. There's a reason why he continues to finish in that range in Hart trophy voting. He was excellent tonight. Maybe he has a career year.

If you want someone to exchange masturbatory clichés about your favourite player, try Shroki, Parch, or Cake Boss

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
McDavid is definitely one of the top 3 or 5 forwards in the NHL. There's a reason why he continues to finish in that range in Hart trophy voting. He was excellent tonight. Maybe he has a career year.

If you want someone to exchange masturbatory clichés about your favourite player, try Shroki, Parch, or Cake Boss

I think he's been the best player really since 2016-2017. He just got handcuffed by Peter Chiarelli's stupidity and the team is slowly coming out of that funk.

It's like Mario Lemieux in his first 5 seasons in Pittsburgh if Wayne Gretzky wasn't around. People started to say he wasn't a really great player and couldn't lift a team because Gretzky was doing XYZ ... well no shit, Gretzky had an All-Star team around him, Mario didn't.

Oct 25, 2017
It's like Mario Lemieux in his first 5 seasons in Pittsburgh if Wayne Gretzky wasn't around. People started to say he wasn't a really great player and couldn't lift a team because Gretzky was doing XYZ ... well no shit, Gretzky had an All-Star team around him, Mario didn't.
[EDIT] Not worth it

I will say.... no one is saying McDavid isn't "really great", nor did they say that about Lemieux. Hedid ridiculous things on his own in his first five years, doubling his teammates in points, without a Draisatl by his side. McDavid also isn't destined a Cup, if that's what you're implying. There are 32 teams now and Edmonton is one of the least desirable cities.

Last edited:

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
17ee561616babf1160315872c7e5d874.gif

Who's saying McDavid isn't a really great player? Who ever said Lemieux wasn't a really great player? That's a strange analogy for a few reasons.

Screenshot-20210114-235104.jpg

He also basically dragged them into the playoffs in his fifth season with no Draisatl equivalent. This was understood.

Yes, McDavid has been a great player on shitty teams. But few, if any, are suggesting he can't win a Cup. He's also not destined to win one either. This is a soon-to-be 32-team league and Edmonton is one of the least desirable cities out there.

There was actually a time when people looked at Mario as a loser and not the heir apparent to Gretzky. Not sure what Edmonton as a city has to do with anything.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's hilarious too, when he's on his game, you what watching an NHL game with him is like ... it's basically like when you watch a bunch of 8 year olds playing hockey and for whatever reason one 11 year old is allowed to play with them and clearly shouldn't be allowed to, lol.

I've never seen anyone do the things at the speed he can do them at.

Oct 25, 2017
There was actually a time when people looked at Mario as a loser and not the heir apparent to Gretzky. Not sure what Edmonton as a city has to do with anything.
I understood what you were saying. I just think it's a misrepresentation or at least an overstatement.

And I mentioned Edmonton being shitty because it's going to make it more difficult to draw in free agents, players with NTCs, retain players at good value, etc
It's hilarious too, when he's on his game, you what watching an NHL game with him is like ... it's basically like when you watch a bunch of 8 year olds playing hockey and for whatever reason one 11 year old is allowed to play with them and clearly shouldn't be allowed to, lol.

I've never seen anyone do the things at the speed he can do them at. He can go from a casual glide to full tilt tornado in a blink of an eye, it's unbelievable.
He's the most talented/gifted player in the NHL. Easily.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understood what you were saying. I just think it's a misrepresentation or at least an overstatement.

And I mentioned Edmonton being shitty because it's going to make it more difficult to draw in free agents, players with NTCs, retain players at good value, etc

He's the most talented/gifted player in the NHL. Easily.

You don't become a top team through UFA signings though almost no great team is built that way. Chiarelli clear as day mismanaged a wealth of assets and opportunities gifted to him, but they are starting to get some things go their way.

Yamamoto looks really good.

A lot of times "winning the UFA sweepstakes" isn't a great thing either ... like Lucic, lol. They did get Tyson Barrie to take a discount from what the reports were, the Canucks offered more money.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think anyone can deny that Connor McDavid is the most talented, most explosive player in the league. I'm not really phased by a Canucks fan calling him a "top-3 to top-5" forward based on some nonsense about his defensive foibles. There is an overwhelming consensus behind the obvious truth that he is the best player in the league, forward or otherwise and the Canucks have never had a player as good as he is.

And don't come at me with Pavel Bure.

Oct 25, 2017
You don't become a top team through UFA signings though almost no great team is built that way. Chiarelli clear as day mismanaged a wealth of assets and opportunities gifted to him, but they are starting to get some things go their way.

Yamamoto looks really good.

A lot of times "winning the UFA sweepstakes" isn't a great thing either ... like Lucic, lol. They did get Tyson Barrie to take a discount from what the reports were, the Canucks offered more money.
My dude, what are you even talking about?

I didn't say "you become a top team through UFA signings" and you ignored what I did actually say. Location matters to players and complementing your team with free agents, trade targets and signing good contracts generally can be complicated when the location is Edmonton. Building through the draft is always the way to go, but not on its own.

Also congratulations on Tyson Barrie? Or was that supposed to support your Lucic argument?

I'm not really phased
Quote me a third time, unsolicited, and repeat your calmness, to really drive the point home!

Goodnight, Oilers faithful. Let's do this again - maybe 7 more times?

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Quote me a third time, unsolicited, and repeat your calmness, to really drive the point home!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I quoted you once. To laugh at the stupid thing you said that would get you side-eye from just about any hockey person.

But sure, we'll do this another 8 times. I like watching actual superstars walk the Canucks for like 3 points each every game.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My dude, what are you even talking about?

I didn't say "you become a top team through UFA signings" and you ignored what I did actually say. Location matters to players and complementing your team with free agents, trade targets and signing good contracts generally can be complicated when the location is Edmonton. Building through the draft is always the way to go, but not on its own.

Also congratulations on Tyson Barrie? Or was that supposed to support your Lucic argument?

All Canadian teams have a problem with signing big ticket UFAs ... taxes are higher, the travel is worse, the weather is generally worse, and you can't go most public places without being bothered.

But even so, you look at Tampa, Pittsburgh, etc. are teams pretty much all built through drafting and development, and yes some high end lottery picks. UFA signings are generally a pretty shit way to build a team and most teams end up regretting the big money they spend on UFAs (hello Loui Erikkson).

Tyson Barrie didn't have a great year last year in Toronto, don't think that was the best fit for him given they already have Reilly, but dude is among the highest scoring defenceman in the NHL over the last 4-5 years and can move the puck reasonably well for 1 year 3 mill-ish, you're not gonna find much more on the open market.

Location doesn't really matter in terms of building a winner. Your GM definitely does though, doesn't matter how great a player is, they need help from a GM. Even arguably the greatest team athlete of the last 30 years (Michael Jordan) couldn't get anything done until Bulls management finally hit pay dirt on a couple of draft picks (Pippen and Grant) and basketball is a sport where a star player has far more impact than a hockey player can.

Last edited:

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
and just like that I bring the thread back to its old "elevated" discussion status just how Mike Works remembers it..

Your welcome. 😁

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I dreamed it, but no, the Bruins did actually win a shoot-out last night for the first time since February 2019

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
Glad to see Killer is back to his old self. Dude missed 2 years from breaking a kneecap. Him and Zboril will bring that much needed snarl that we have been missing on D.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised by those Barrie heat maps, particularly on the PP for someone relatively vaunted in that area. Micah does make the point he is very inconsistent however.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017

that's pretty on point lol

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
I think he's been the best player really since 2016-2017. He just got handcuffed by Peter Chiarelli's stupidity and the team is slowly coming out of that funk.

I wish we lived in a reality where Chiarelli wasn't the GM. Not even an Oilers fan, but I think the team was just as loaded as the 80s Oilers up front and was and set up to win multiple cups before he made several awful trades (Hall, Eberle & 2015 1st round pick).

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Edmonton can attract FAs, and both McDavid and Draisaitl eagerly signed long term contracts. And Edmonton now has arguably the best NHL facilities in the league. The history, the tradition, the rink. Edmonton is a hockey town. Players have no problem being an Oiler.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The Canadian division is going to provide us with so much salt, just as predicted.
It's going to be interesting. The natural rivalries are now happening for an entire season. There's also a ton of offense in the Canadian division. There will be no shortage of wild games and rowdy craziness.