• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Really happy for X. If there's one FF I'm ok with VII losing to its X.

Already seeing people being stupid on twitter about the Aerith and Tifa placements though so that sucks.

Deleted member 60989

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2019
15. Final Fantasy XII !? 😣

My top 5 would be IX > XII > XIV > VII > VI. Sorry FFX, I don't like you that much.

chroeser

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah, that's what I expected of Japan. XII was never that popular over there. Even though I have to admit that there are objective better FF's than X. It was my first and because of that I'm most thrilled for it's placing.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a scrubquotes for FF?

Post some anyway, I want to read some salt.
someone in this very thread already tried to claim tifa ranking behind aerith was because of the redesign...like come on.
but yeah there really should be a scrubquotes for ff

got 22nd. here's a list of the top30 for all categories
www.finaland.com

Résultat du sondage NHK pour Final Fantasy - Finaland

Votre site de référence sur la saga Final Fantasy et toute l’actualité Square Enix

Dec 2, 2017
I know FFXII is divisive, but under XIII!? Bad Japan. Bad.

At least they showed up for IX. And here I thought Japan was the reason that style was dead and everything had to be Jpop in FF now.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Vivi ranking so high up will finally convince Square Enix to put him even more spin-offs.

Everything else is pretty solid though, outside of no FFXIV music in the top 10. At least the Final Fantasy main theme ranked highly, I think a lot of people tend to sleep on it despite it being extremely good.

I still don't get the hype for To Zanarkand though, it's probably not even in my top 5 FFX songs

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised by Lightning. She ALWAYS ranks high.

Also Aerith ranking is nice! I always forget she is so popular in Japan and deservedly so. My queen Rinoa ranked 35 but I'll take it considering there is a ton of VII characters in the top 20. Also I'm really surprised by the XIV results? It did well in quite a few areas.

Still have to check the rest of the results but I know at least VIII made top 10 and that makes me happy. <3
66fIdZG.gif

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Final Fantasy ranking

1. Final Fantasy X
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Final Fantasy XIV
6. Final Fantasy V
7. Final Fantasy VIII
8. Final Fantasy IV
9. Final Fantasy XI
10. Final Fantasy XV
11. Final Fantasy Tactics
12. Final Fantasy III
13. Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII
14. Final Fantasy XIII
15. Final Fantasy XII
16. Final Fantasy Type-0
17. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicle
18. Final Fantasy II
19. Final Fantasy X-2
20. Mobius Final Fantasy
Swap XV with XII and you've got a good list! 😛

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised at Lightning being so low. Shes trash, but I thought Japan loved her?
Surprised at Zidane being so high.

Yuna and Aerith being 2 and 3 confirms Japan loves mild mannered female leads.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eyes on Me above One Winged Angel, as it should be.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Japan really, really, really likes FFX. I believe it was the highest rated Famitsu game from fans when they did a top 100 list in the 2000s. FFVII came in second there, too.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
FFX as number one?! I love the game but several FFs IMHO are much better. Still, happy to see Lightning get some love and Cloud/ Aerith. I am also a gigantic FFXIV fan and Emet-Selch, while a fantastic villain, is way too high. I think Ardyn should have been there personally.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Surprised to see Emet-Selch ranked this high, being MMO and he's not handsome when comparing to other guys, I thought he has no chance lol. Well deserved though, he's the best villain in a long time. Made the entire 3 last hours of Shadowbringers so heart wrenching.

If you are not already knew about this, I recommend you to read short stories of Shadowbringers. They are great, especially the last two. One of them narrated in his pov.
Tales from the shadow

My prediction for the final character result would be..(not in order) :
Cloud
Zack
Tifa
Aerith
Yuna
Tidus
Lightning
Zidane
Vivi
Cecil

As for the music, To Zanarkand must be in the top 3, I hope Dancing mad made it too. Would be great if any of XIV expansion songs get in the top list (Dragon song or Answer), but I doubted it.

Most popular title would be FF7 for sure.
Lightning being on the list is a disgrace

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFX as number one?! I love the game but several FFs IMHO are much better. Still, happy to see Lightning get some love and Cloud/ Aerith. I am also a gigantic FFXIV fan and Emet-Selch, while a fantastic villain, is way too high. I think Ardyn should have been there personally.

Emet-Selch is an amazing character, really like him. But as a villain I don't think he did much in the game.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Honestly this is a huge poll but some stuff I dont agree with. Overall, i'm happy and Japan has great taste for the most part. Still wouldn't rank npcs that have nothing much in the story over any main character though. Barett being so low like that is disheartening.

Really happy for X. If there's one FF I'm ok with VII losing to its X.

Already seeing people being stupid on twitter about the Aerith and Tifa placements though so that sucks.

Let them fight..... it always happens. And also i'm really glad you are happy about X. :)

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, FFX got the first place is surprising.

Happy to see some recognitions for FFXIV! Ranked 5th against other mainlines is great (though the music category left me disappointed, Soken should be in the top 20)

Emet is Ardyn done right. Most people don't even play FFXV dlc, and Ardyn's motivation and backstory are poorly presented in base game as an unfinished mass.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Honestly this is a huge poll but some stuff I dont agree with. Overall, i'm happy and Japan has great taste for the most part. Still wouldn't rank npcs that have nothing much in the story over any main character though. Barett being so low like that is disheartening.

Let them fight..... it always happens. And also i'm really glad you are happy about X. :)
Ugh you are right about that. But hey, our favorite characters came in first and second!! High-five!

And yeah I love X, it's my second favorite FF. The fact it's still so popular almost 20 years later bodes well for X-3 somewhere down the line which would be AMAZING

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Overall I'm pretty happy with many of the rankings. Some placements like Final Fantasy X winning favorite game aren't that surprising I think. FF X was a huge event when it released and many still hold it close to their hearts. You could say it was the Final Fantasy VII of that generation. Personally, I'm super happy to see VIII making the top 10. Seeing Barret in dead last really is tragic. I didn't expect him to be high, but dead last? Damn, that sucks big time...

Overall it's a list by Japanese fans. Of course there's a difference in taste and more. While some tastes can be universal across multiple cultures worldwide, some are specific for a certain region. That's totally okay. Hell, it's great even. I love seeing those differences. Because in the end, all the fans love Final Fantasy, but it's great to see how diverse that love can be. How certain cultures / regions like other things more or different rather. While some placements would probably be the same if the same vote would've also been held in the west, some others would be entirely different. Seeing some people on Twitter saying rude stuff like "Japan has shit taste" is sad. There's no "superior taste". And honestly, it would be quite boring if everyone's taste would be the same...

Also, I'm pretty sure the Japanese fans are probably discussing some of the same things now, going "wait, why is game / character / song xyz so low / high?", haha...

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

Lightning and a bunch of those newer FF characters can DIAF for all I care. But that's a great selection of music.
Final Fantasy ranking

1. Final Fantasy X
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Final Fantasy XIV
6. Final Fantasy V
7. Final Fantasy VIII
8. Final Fantasy IV
9. Final Fantasy XI
10. Final Fantasy XV
11. Final Fantasy Tactics
12. Final Fantasy III
13. Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII
14. Final Fantasy XIII
15. Final Fantasy XII
16. Final Fantasy Type-0
17. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicle
18. Final Fantasy II
19. Final Fantasy X-2
20. Mobius Final Fantasy

I like that VI is so high but X... really? I guess the experience has really aged well for people?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting reading the data which demographic voted for certain games. Unfortunately, they don't have it for every game. One is definitely clear, though: I never ever want to hear that women aren't playing videogames. It's so tiring, especially since there's already so much data (for several regions) showing otherwise. More women in Japan voted for FF15 by the way. Both FF10 and FF7 are equally liked, with slightly more men voting for the former and slightly more women voting for the latter. And the FF14 data is pretty telling too: 49.2% women, 50.8% men. Especially when you compare it to FF11: 27.8% women and 72.2%. Shows how much of a shift we've seen in the years since it released, which is great to see.

Seeing the age is pretty interesting too. Not just for the older, but also for the newer games. Especially for the newer games. The main demographic is between 20 and 39 years old.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting reading the data which demographic voted for certain games. Unfortunately, they don't have it for every game. One is definitely clear, though: I never ever want to hear that women aren't playing videogames. It's so tiring, especially since there's already so much data (for several regions) showing otherwise. More women in Japan voted for FF15 by the way. Both FF10 and FF7 are equally liked, with slightly more men voting for the former and slightly more women voting for the latter. And the FF14 data is pretty telling too: 49.2% women, 50.8% men. Especially when you compare it to FF11: 27.8% women and 72.2%. Shows how much of a shift we've seen in the years since it released, which is great to see.

I recently went to a FF fan convention in the UK and it was probably a 50/50 split between men and women attendees. In fact, there might have been more women now I think about it. So it's not even just the polling that puts to bed that old myth, you can outright see it in person.

The franchise is huge across all demographics and I'm excited to see how it grows from here.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I recently went to a FF fan convention in the UK and it was probably a 50/50 split between men and women attendees. In fact, there might have been more women now I think about it. So it's not even just the polling that puts to bed that old myth, you can outright see it in person.

The franchise is huge across all demographics and I'm excited to see how it grows from here.

That's awesome! Sadly I never was able to go such a fan event, but I definitely would want to go to one. I remember seeing impressions from the FF15 launch event and if I remember correctly it was pretty equal there too. And yes, I totally agree: It's fantastic to see that and I'm very much looking forward to seeing how it grows from here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
FFXIII was criticized for it's poor writing.

And plenty of people like the game/disagree with that, despite the vocal people on message boards.

It's also possible to think the game as a whole isn't written well but that certain characters are. It's not a black or white situation. I think a number of characters in XIII have great arcs, despite the messy writing of the overall plot. (This of course gets a bit crazy after the first game but the majority of people are voting based on their experience with the original XIII nothing more.)

It's perfectly fine to not like the character but don't try to make up your own reasons as to why others do, simple because you disagree.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
And plenty of people like the game/disagree with that, despite the vocal people on message boards.

It's also possible to think the game as a while isn't written well but that certain characters are. It's not a black or white situation. I think a number of characters in XIII have great arcs, despite the messy writing of the overall plot. (This of course gets a bit crazy after the first game but the majority of people are voting based on their experience with the original XIII nothing more.)

It's perfectly fine to not like the character but don't try to make up your own reasons as to why others do, simple because you disagree.

So what about Lightning was well written? She was never praised for it back at launch and not since then.

She was basically written as a guys idea of what a: "Strong Female Character" is. The sterotype of making female characters cold, tough, and distant with very little outside of that?

People joked that Cloud was "emo and dour" when in the original FF7 he was actually quite snarky among other things. She was written like what people's perception of Cloud was. And it's bad.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So what about Lightning was well written? She was never praised for it back at launch and not since then.

She was basically written as a guys idea of what a: "Strong Female Character" is. The sterotype of making female characters cold and tough with very little outside of that?

People joked that Cloud was "emo and dour" when in the original FF7 he was actually quite snarky among other things. She was written like what people's perception of Cloud was. And it's bad.

I enjoy her arc, which is very similar to Cloud, of being closed off to opening up to the people around her by the end. It's a trope that's been done time and time again and I think it's done well with Lightning.

Again, you can disagree. Just don't act as if your opinion is factual or make excuses as to why others have a different opinion than you. It's silly.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
FFX at #1. I guess it's a great "made for the general public" game, but it's a miserable Final Fantasy game.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
It's also ok to like a character just because they look and act cool. Not every character has to have some epic quest of deep development to make them 'good' or likable.

I'm so so on Lightning myself but her portrayal and design are a refreshing change of pace for women in the series.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well you could at least argue why Lightning is a better character than most FF character.

Other than people saying: "she has an arc" no one has explained why she is a good character. Having an arc doesn't suddenly make a good character.
Don't know haven't played any XIII game yet, I just find it incredibly petty and childish to go "the character you like only got high because of her looks she's not REALLY popular nuh nuh."

Like get over it. People like things you don't, but your just looking to spit on their good time because you gotta prove how your taste is objective or something like that.

It doesn't even matter if they do explain it because you'll probably just go "nuh uh!" anyway. It's called taste an it's subjective.