• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Seen far too many horror stories of artists go by on Twitter. Either artists whose work were just plucked from their Beyond/DeviantArt/portfolio and put on the marketplace, or NFT artists whose work were simply right click > save as'd by someone else and then sold on different marketplaces.

DeviantArt now even got a tool that scans for your artwork on them NFT sites to warn you about art stealing :p

www.vice.com

DeviantArt Is Now Using AI to Spot People Selling Stolen Art as NFTs

Art theft is a major problem online, with blockchain collectibles as the latest frontier. Now, DeviantArt is striking back with machine learning.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I actually adopted character designs like a normal person than some "you own it but don't" nft stuff, spun off from the very reason why I had to spend a month to give my $900 for a 3080

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an NFT version of the "criticising Capitalism whilst owning an iPhone" comic yet?

yeah, matt bors (the comic's artist) minted it and got quite a dunking on for doing it because NFTs are very stupid. i don't blame folks who have had content they create go super viral wanting to be financially compensated but otoh NFTs are not it so

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Only NFT's I have were given away for free by an artist I know when you buy their physical product. I dont know what they are, what they do, or what the point of them is. Whole concept is dumb af to me. I got the physical product, why do I need a jpeg of it.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Like, if I pay $5 for a jpg in some random gacha mobile game, I have bought into something that has A. A tangible purpose, and B. Cannot be replicated within the context of that purpose by someone else without themselves buying it. We can debate how good or useful of a purchase it was, but there's no question as to whether or not I "own" it (within the bounds of what digital ownership means) within that game.

People can't just simply right click and save my specific digital item for use in their copy of the game. The central authority (the game publisher) is what verifies the authenticity of my ownership.

The lack of central authority in these blockchains, given they are like that by design, is what makes NFTs fail. Because your "certificate of authentication" is only proof that you paid money, to someone. There is nobody to actually back up your assertation that you own any given thing, because there "is" no one who can. All you can do is have all your friends (or strangers on the internet) "verify" that you spent money on "something". No one can actually authoritatively declare you "own" it, or that whoever you bought it from even had the legal right to distribute it.

Sirpopopop

_ _ _ w _ _ _
Oct 23, 2017
It's also this, I think.

eipugIu.jpg

NFTs are far past that stage…

Sirpopopop

_ _ _ w _ _ _
Oct 23, 2017
Like, if I pay $5 for a jpg in some random gacha mobile game, I have bought into something that has A. A tangible purpose, and B. Cannot be replicated within the context of that purpose by someone else without themselves buying it. We can debate how good or useful of a purchase it was, but there's no question as to whether or not I "own" it (within the bounds of what digital ownership means) within that game.

Sounds exactly like NFTs. I have my token that operates as proof of ownership as it is a unique numbered token according to the standard of that specific blockchain.

People can't just simply right click and save my specific digital item for use in their copy of the game. The central authority (the game publisher) is what verifies the authenticity of my ownership.

I can take a screenshot of that digital item. There - now we are on the same level as the NFT.

The lack of central authority in these blockchains, given they are like that by design, is what makes NFTs fail. Because your "certificate of authentication" is only proof that you paid money, to someone. There is nobody to actually back up your assertation that you own any given thing, because there "is" no one who can. All you can do is have all your friend "verify" that you spent money on "something". No one can actually authoritatively declare you "own" it.

I own the token. Therefore I own the jpeg.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, matt bors (the comic's artist) minted it and got quite a dunking on for doing it because NFTs are very stupid. i don't blame folks who have had content they create go super viral wanting to be financially compensated but otoh NFTs are not it so
Sad thing is, if Matt didn't, someone else would've. It's sort of like companies/artists reserving their name on new social media platforms the moment they go live. Except dumber.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017

The lack of central authority in these blockchains, given they are like that by design, is what makes NFTs fail. Because your "certificate of authentication" is only proof that you paid money, to someone. There is nobody to actually back up your assertation that you own any given thing, because there "is" no one who can. All you can do is have all your friends (or strangers on the internet) "verify" that you spent money on "something". No one can actually authoritatively declare you "own" it, or that whoever you bought it from even had the legal right to distribute it.

I don't follow ? It's not just the act of sending money, in addition to that metadata that identifies the NFT is sent to the purchaser so that is your verification you actually own the NFT. And the transaction can be fully traced back to the payment you sent, and the account of the artist on ETH or whatever blockchain you are using.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what if i want the most environmentally unfriendly blockchain?

The great thing about NFTs is that the most environmentally intensive blockchain cannot mint them (Bitcoin).

The main platforms for NFT are all proof of stake meaning that new assets are minted by people holding onto coins in their wallets. No real world work is done. The one exception to this is Ethereum.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Sounds exactly like NFTs. I have my token that operates as proof of ownership as it is a unique numbered token according to the standard of that specific blockchain.

1.I can take a screenshot of that digital item. There - now we are on the same level as the NFT.

2.I own the token. Therefore I own the jpeg.
1. And that screenshot is worthless while the digital item remains in its NFT-less system of ownership. A screenshot of a skin does not allow you to equip it.
2.Who enforces this? what stops somebody from selling your jpeg?

* I don't even know if ur pro or anti nft lol

OP
OP

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well although this thread has derailed a bit, I figure I try to get it back on track by showing an NFT I'm currently bidding on. Hopefully I win:

QmUh6wyh1RuiS6EieVR2je9Qq1vBwdsXCu96YFhARquNRZ

Kcarstel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (permanent): Linking to very NSFW image
Mod edit: [Pic removed]

here's mine :) no where near as cool as yours op

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
DeviantArt now even got a tool that scans for your artwork on them NFT sites to warn you about art stealing :p

www.vice.com

DeviantArt Is Now Using AI to Spot People Selling Stolen Art as NFTs

Art theft is a major problem online, with blockchain collectibles as the latest frontier. Now, DeviantArt is striking back with machine learning.
Yeah beyond the environmental issues, a lot of us in the artist community hate them for how rampant art theft has become with them

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I don't get the JPEG NFTs but I am loving the Rarity NFT game on Fantom. I have 11 characters (1 of every class) and send them out to do dungeons and on adventures everyday. I think it's really cool watching all the different teams building out this metaverse where my characters exist on and can travel between things without being bound to it's creators.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I can take a screenshot of that digital item. There - now we are on the same level as the NFT.

So if you go take a screenshot of a skin in Fortnite, you've now been granted the rights to use that skin within Fortnite?

Epic will just look at your screenshot and go "oh yeah you definitely own that sure".

That's the problem with digital ownership. NFTs, by themselves, do nothing to actually confer ownership of the object in question to you. You're not buying a painting. You're not even buying a photocopy of a painting. You're buying a window to a copy of a photocopy sitting on a shelf, that can just as easily disappear one day, and the only one you have to back up your proof that you own anything, are the other people who bought into the same thing.

Someone joked earlier these looked like someones POG collection, but even then you could argue that you owned the physical, tangible POG that the images were printed on. NFTs confer less ownership to you of an object than fucking POGs

C.B.

Oct 26, 2017
England
Independent digital artists can't sell "originals" like traditional artists. So the main alternative is selling thousands of books and prints, which you literally can't do without the logging to make the paper and the fossil fuels to ship them all over the country/world. So let's not pretend like NFTs are unique in being bad for the environment lol

I really -really- dislike this line of thinking because it's the same tired excuse NFT collectors keep using to say "well there's literally no other way i can give you bucket loads of money". Just fucking commission me. Give me the bucket loads of money without making me invest in whatever shit it is you want me to use. Give me the money I want and I will make you a picture, that is yours entirely and exactly how you want it - or you can just commission me to do whatever I want! Literally JUST GIVE ME THE MONEY! We can have a contract, signed by both of us that says you are the owner of the art. Its literally that easy! I don't want to buy some new shit to make money for the service I'm already providing you. You want my art? Then meet me in the middle by giving me the cash in the currency I desire. Don't make me pay to auction it some where. Just pay it up front. And guess what, we can keep it all digital if you dont want to use up any paper. The concept of owning digital art is not new. I've been selling digital art and working with clients for over a decade. The only thing new is suddenly NFT people want me to invest in some shit so they can pay me.

Sirpopopop

_ _ _ w _ _ _
Oct 23, 2017
1. And that screenshot is worthless while the digital item remains in its NFT-less system of ownership. A screenshot of a skin does not allow you to equip it.
2.Who enforces this? what stops somebody from selling your jpeg?

* I don't even know if ur pro or anti nft lol

1. Exactly. Just like your screenshot of my jpeg is worthless. You don't own the NFT. You just own some jpeg.
2. They aren't selling your jpeg. They aren't selling your token. They are selling some screenshot of it.

Sirpopopop

_ _ _ w _ _ _
Oct 23, 2017
So if you go take a screenshot of a skin in Fortnite, you've now been granted the rights to use that skin within Fortnite?

Do you own my token if you take a screenshot of my jpeg?

Epic will just look at your screenshot and go "oh yeah you definitely own that sure".

Anyone in crypto can do the same thing by looking at your wallet.

That's the problem with digital ownership. NFTs, by themselves, do nothing to actually confer ownership of the object in question to you. You're not buying a painting. You're not even buying a photocopy of a painting. You're buying a window to a copy of a photocopy sitting on a shelf, that can just as easily disappear one day, and the only one you have to back up your proof that you own anything, are the other people who bought into the same thing.

There are risks in everything. Your painting can easily disappear some day. Someone can rip up your painting. My proof of ownership is on the blockchain. It's on my wallet. I can go to my network explorer, enter my wallet address and see my proof of ownership.

Someone joked earlier these looked like someones POG collection, but even then you could argue that you owned the physical, tangible POG that the images were printed on. NFTs confer less ownership to you of an object than fucking POGs

Huh? If I own the token, I own the piece of art. Not sure what you are talking about here.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really -really- dislike this line of thinking because it's the same tired excuse NFT collectors keep using to say "well there's literally no other way i can give you bucket loads of money". Just fucking commission me. Give me the bucket loads of money without making me invest in whatever shit it is you want me to use. Give me the money I want and I will make you a picture, that is yours entirely and exactly how you want it - or you can just commission me to do whatever I want! Literally JUST GIVE ME THE MONEY! We can have a contract, signed by both of us that says you are the owner of the art. Its literally that easy! I don't want to buy some new shit to make money for the service I'm already providing you. You want my art? Then meet me in the middle by giving me the cash in the currency I desire. Don't make me pay to auction it some where. Just pay it up front. And guess what, we can keep it all digital if you dont want to use up any paper. The concept of owning digital art is not new. I've been selling digital art and working with clients for over a decade. The only thing new is suddenly NFT people want me to invest in some shit so they can pay me.

The killer app with NFTs is that they are programmable as well. An artist could set it up so their NFTs generate a portion of revenue for them upon a secondary sale. So if you sell a painting or a book or an album for $10 and it blows up, you won't get a portion of the proceeds when the new owner sells it. But what if you could? You could even set it so that 2% of the proceeds go to you but only after 10 sales. Or maybe 2% goes to a water charity.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
I own the token. Therefore I own the jpeg.
I'd argue you own the (or a) receipt telling you where the jpeg lives. But you can't change where it lives, nor modify the original. Like you can't "damage" (or improve) the jpeg by drawing a little moustache on it. There's also very little preventing the author to change the location's jpeg with a dickpic or whatever…

Atleast, I'm unaware of coins that allow you to, or either store the work directly on the blockchain.

C.B.

Oct 26, 2017
England
I'm an actual good artist, I can make great paintings for you guys with your huge amounts of money if you want to pay me in £££

DM me and you can commission me! I'll paint you an original, and we can sign some papers to say you own the image. You'll get really cool art if you give me your awesome buckets of money! No need for investments, no need for auctions no need for NFTs!

C.B.

Oct 26, 2017
England
The killer app with NFTs is that they are programmable as well. An artist could set it up so their NFTs generate a portion of revenue for them upon a secondary sale. So if you sell a painting or a book or an album for $10 and it blows up, you won't get a portion of the proceeds when the new owner sells it. But what if you could? You could even set it so that 2% of the proceeds go to you but only after 10 sales. Or maybe 2% goes to a water charity.

Or you could just pay me what you think the art is worth. Rather than me having to HOPE that my art blows up by chance, just give me the large sum of money NOW if you think the art is really worth the investment. And also, we can still donate to charities without having to set anything up. Charites already have lots of ways to make it easy for us to give them money (like their own website). It is not fair to make artists feel hopeful that their work -might- blow up and make them money. Pay them fairly NOW.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Locking this thread temporarily for a reboot.

www.resetera.com

NFT Collectors of ERA, show off what you have here.

This isn't a crypto thread. My crypto accounts are all paying out staking rewards gave me some extra money to invest in the world of NFTs so I started dipping my toes into that space recently. I only started so I'm not as knowledgeable as I'm sure many of you are so I didn't spend much money on...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.