• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
why would you do this. It always bums me out when somebody throws it all away like this when they were already set.

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish we could stop arresting people for marijuana already. Dumb to travel with that much pot, even dumber that anyone cares enough to say it's illegal and arrest him for it. It's plant material, not a dead body.

Nov 1, 2017
DFW, Texas
in case your spatial skills are like mine (not from the exact bust) - but here's 160 lbs of grass
5a554d010dbf5.image.jpg

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
By all means, feel free to add something that's intelligent or insightful to the conversation. Marijuana being wrongfully illegal has ruined more lives than 157 pounds of marijuana ever will.

Obviously you can see the difference between someone simply having some weed on them and hiring an unwitting driver to transport 157 lbs. of it across the border.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is so odd.
OK, so you make millions and millions of dollars as a player but you decide you want another stream of income. OK, I get that. Rental properties, fast food, car dealerships are too boring for you. OK, I guess I follow that as well. You decide to start a drug business. I'm still kind of following the logic. Why though would you ever be the one driving. Surely you can find people that you pay who can handle that part of the business and therefore remove much of the personal risk. Stringer Bell would not be impressed.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The more I read in to this case, the funnier and more stupid it gets. They didn't even need to go through Border Patrol!

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously you can see the difference between someone simply having some weed on them and hiring an unwitting driver to transport 157 lbs. of it across the border.
All I have commented on is people taking part in a broken system where demand exists and governments have banned supply. If the system wasn't broken, this situation might not have happened and we wouldn't be looking at yet more ruined lives from a failed war on drugs. The part about using someone who didn't know wasn't in the op, perhaps it should be added for full context? By all means, I will leave the conversation. Clearly I am in the wrong somehow here. I apologize for my stance.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All I have commented on is people taking part in a broken system where demand exists and governments have banned supply. If the system wasn't broken, this situation might not have happened and we wouldn't be looking at yet more ruined lives from a failed war on drugs. The part about using someone who didn't know wasn't in the op, perhaps it should be added for full context? By all means, I will leave the conversation. Clearly I am in the wrong somehow here. I apologize for my stance.
Post 39, which should likely be threadmarked, adds a ton of detail to the story.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Did they not realize that border agents have drug-sniffing dogs or something? Dumbasses. And trying to pin it on a passenger that knew nothing about it? That's going to cost Robinson a few games.
Because some people think drug sniffing dogs won't be able to smell the drugs if it's inside a vacuum seal bag.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Dude wants weed he could probably afford moving to a state where it's legal now, hell if he was living in Ohio he just had to go to Michigan.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Man everybody agrees the war on drugs sucks.

But even in legal states like where I live where there's plenty of legal weed available 157lbs of weed is a lot and it'll get you in a lot of trouble. Fuckin, 157 lbs of oranges would be a lot of oranges to be transporting across state lines, and someone might be like ... "Hey...... noteworthy NFL millionaire...... why are you transporting all these oranges across the country and paying a resident alien to do it for you...?"

I think there's a social justice argument around possession and use of marijuana, but the point of a legal, regulated marijuana industry is that it's regulated by the government and it goes through testing to make sure it's safe and distributed in the right way safely to people who want it or need it. Even if weed were federally legal, it'd be a major crime for Greg Robinson of the Cleveland Browns to be possessing 160lbs of it with clear intent to sell it on a black market. I think we all agree that federal enforcement of drugs has been stupid and has led to this market. But... Greg Robinson is also a fucking idiot here.

It's just so silly, it deserves derision.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Browns are quite a mess. Between Kareem Hunt, Myles Garrett, Antonio Calloway, John Dorsey, Freddy Kitchens, Baker Mayfield, etc.. the team seemed completely out of control last year. I'd be surprised if one year is enough time to clean all that up.

Thank you. I usually assume the op has all the major talking points and don't read through all the other posts before posting myself. I wasn't trying to come off as argumentative or uninformed.
I think we've all done that at times.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MEANWHILE...

www.buzzfeednews.com

America's Whites-Only Weed Boom

Black Americans were disproportionately targeted in the "war on drugs." Now state laws and steep regulatory costs have left them far more likely to be shut out of America's profitable marijuana boom.

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE

Oct 27, 2017
Man everybody agrees the war on drugs sucks.

But even in legal states like where I live where there's plenty of legal weed available 157lbs of weed is a lot and it'll get you in a lot of trouble. Fuckin, 157 lbs of oranges would be a lot of oranges to be transporting across state lines, and someone might be like ... "Hey...... noteworthy NFL millionaire...... why are you transporting all these oranges across the country and paying a resident alien to do it for you...?"

I think there's a social justice argument around possession and use of marijuana, but the point of a legal, regulated marijuana industry is that it's regulated by the government and it goes through testing to make sure it's safe and distributed in the right way safely to people who want it or need it. Even if weed were federally legal, it'd be a major crime for Greg Robinson of the Cleveland Browns to be possessing 160lbs of it with clear intent to sell it on a black market. I think we all agree that federal enforcement of drugs has been stupid and has led to this market. But... Greg Robinson is also a fucking idiot here.

It's just so silly, it deserves derision.
Right on. Thank you for helping me reevaluate my perspective on the situation. I just naturally get defensive for those arrested for marijuana. It hurt my life when it happened to me and I hate to see it ruin others, but yes it is rather silly now that I sit and think about how much weed this dude had. The oranges comparison made me laugh.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish we could stop arresting people for marijuana already. Dumb to travel with that much pot, even dumber that anyone cares enough to say it's illegal and arrest him for it. It's plant material, not a dead body.
This and what most people are locked up for are vastly different. With this amount this is considered for distribution not for individual use. These people are also rich (or should be) so they didn't need to do this to make a living.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Dude was just wanting to help all those Ohio football fans who were denied citing their shitty teams as a reason for medical marijuana use.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How dumb do you have to be to try to cruise on through a border checkpoint with duffel bags full of weed?
This checkpoint is not on the border, it's on the I-10, an interstate that goes east-west. I think many people just don't realize the US has border checkpoints inside the country and that they can search you and your car without a warrant in them (thanks Obama).

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit...

AoEpef7.png

vvY2Ux0.png

From that tweet.

They hired an uber driver to drive them all over America, eventually taking them to Louisiana, not telling the driver that they had 157 lbs of weed in the truck bed. They also told the driver to tell law enforcement that the driver was a US Citizen, which the driver was not but a legal resident. Then said they'd pay the driver if they took the fall for the two, which the driver declined having not even known there was weed in the truck bed.

The intent of this was clearly to take the marijuana from their grow house in California and take it to Louisiana to sell. But they're also pieces of shit for hiring a resident alien to drivee them across country with 160lbs of weed in their rented truck through fucking borderlands where theres tons o drug sniffing dogs. Resident 2, the uber driver, isn't being charged but Robinson and Bray are risking his/her livelihood and resident alien status with that type of shit.

What in the goddamn sam hill....

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit...

AoEpef7.png

vvY2Ux0.png

From that tweet.

They hired an uber driver to drive them all over America, eventually taking them to Louisiana, not telling the driver that they had 157 lbs of weed in the truck bed. They also told the driver to tell law enforcement that the driver was a US Citizen, which the driver was not but a legal resident. Then said they'd pay the driver if they took the fall for the two, which the driver declined having not even known there was weed in the truck bed.

The intent of this was clearly to take the marijuana from their grow house in California and take it to Louisiana to sell. But they're also pieces of shit for hiring a resident alien to drivee them across country with 160lbs of weed in their rented truck through fucking borderlands where theres tons o drug sniffing dogs. Resident 2, the uber driver, isn't being charged but Robinson and Bray are risking his/her livelihood and resident alien status with that type of shit.

You know it's going to be a good story when Kenner, LA is involved.

... I don't know a good way to work in "Kennah brah" into this... damn.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
By all means, feel free to add something that's intelligent or insightful to the conversation. Marijuana being wrongfully illegal has ruined more lives than 157 pounds of marijuana ever will.

There's a fundamental difference between some weed and 157 pounds of marijuana, I mean that is an insane number. On top of that "just some plants" or however you worded it is a really fucking dumb way of wording things. It goes right along with "it's natural!" yeah a ton of drugs are "all natural" you should not be transporting heavy massive loads of "just plants" that can kill people. Now in the case of marijuana you're not going to kill yourself or even hurt yourself with weed (for the most part). I think it's absolutely asinine that drinking alcohol is so socially acceptable and legal, while weed is demonized... that being said if you're carrying absurd amounts with intent to distribute, you're creating a dangerous situation. Drug Dealing for the most part doesn't get deadly when it involves things as simple as weed, but it still creates a dangerous situation. It's incredibly short sighted of you to compare 157 pounds of marijuana to just "some plant material". I don't think you'll find a single person on this site who will argue for illegal marijuana or argue against its morality, but you'll be hard pressed to find somebody who is cool with moving absurd amounts like this.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
According to Google Robinson had a $6.4m contract. Even taking away for taxes and agency fees, etc, he'd still earn more in one year than the vast majority of Americans would in their entire lives.

And he likely threw it all away to sell weed.

Sigh

Oct 27, 2017
There's a fundamental difference between some weed and 157 pounds of marijuana, I mean that is an insane number. On top of that "just some plants" or however you worded it is a really fucking dumb way of wording things. It goes right along with "it's natural!" yeah a ton of drugs are "all natural" you should not be transporting heavy massive loads of "just plants" that can kill people. Now in the case of marijuana you're not going to kill yourself or even hurt yourself with weed (for the most part). I think it's absolutely asinine that drinking alcohol is so socially acceptable and legal, while weed is demonized... that being said if you're carrying absurd amounts with intent to distribute, you're creating a dangerous situation. Drug Dealing for the most part doesn't get deadly when it involves things as simple as weed, but it still creates a dangerous situation. It's incredibly short sighted of you to compare 157 pounds of marijuana to just "some plant material". I don't think you'll find a single person on this site who will argue for illegal marijuana or argue against its morality, but you'll be hard pressed to find somebody who is cool with moving absurd amounts like this.
I was in the wrong with my original arguments. I'm sorry.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I was in the wrong with my original arguments. I'm sorry.

It's totally fine and I appreciate this post. I got what you were going for. The "it's just plants" argument is super common and it's amazing to me that weed is a problem for anybody at all, it's genuinely shocking given how awful alcohol is for people and how lethal it can be to others as well. Hopefully we get a win in november and we can put an end to the fuckery with all the lives ruined by a little weed.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is so odd.
OK, so you make millions and millions of dollars as a player but you decide you want another stream of income. OK, I get that. Rental properties, fast food, car dealerships are too boring for you. OK, I guess I follow that as well. You decide to start a drug business. I'm still kind of following the logic. Why though would you ever be the one driving. Surely you can find people that you pay who can handle that part of the business and therefore remove much of the personal risk. Stringer Bell would not be impressed.

I hate that this is EXACTLY how I thought about this.

Like, why would you be ANYWHERE near that truck, man? You already hired a damn lackey to drive, so why are YOU in the whip? You rent the car, put a tracker on it, plan the route with the least amount of heat, send a well paid driver out to do the job. Fuck, with that much weight, why wouldn't you either use a commercial truck, or a plane?

So, so dumb. Fucked up a career that so many people only dream of getting, because they wanted to play drug dealer.

Oct 27, 2017
It's totally fine and I appreciate this post. I got what you were going for. The "it's just plants" argument is super common and it's amazing to me that weed is a problem for anybody at all, it's genuinely shocking given how awful alcohol is for people and how lethal it can be to others as well. Hopefully we get a win in november and we can put an end to the fuckery with all the lives ruined by a little weed.
A big turning point in my life happened when I was arrested for a small amount of marijuana. I still wonder to this day what my life would be like if that hadn't happened. Shortly after I began having severe anxiety and panic attacks. I lost trust for authority and have felt like an outcast ever since. It's humiliating having to go pay to pee in a cup in front of strangers. Sitting through classes that focused exclusively on the dangers of drinking even though I hate drinking because they really don't have anything on the dangers of marijuana. People are treated like animals that need cages for liking weed. That's why my initial responses were emotional more than rational. This thread was the wrong place for that and I'm glad ya'll are kind and understanding.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that this is EXACTLY how I thought about this.

Like, why would you be ANYWHERE near that truck, man? You already hired a damn lackey to drive, so why are YOU in the whip? You rent the car, put a tracker on it, plan the route with the least amount of heat, send a well paid driver out to do the job. Fuck, with that much weight, why wouldn't you either use a commercial truck, or a plane?

So, so dumb. Fucked up a career that so many people only dream of getting, because they wanted to play drug dealer.
Im going to be as vague as possible here...I know a pretty big dealer in my city. Only tangentially but I'm familiar with his operation. They actually purchase in CA and have it shipped to various states, including mine, in those large moving/storage pods. I'm not sure how they package it in the actual pod itself but basically they pay someone to fly out to Cali and sign their name for the pod then have it shipped to a state as if they're moving there. Then they sign for it back in said state and they're done. It usually pays between $10k and $40k to sign for one of the pods. So basically some unwitting uhaul pod person does all the heavy lifting.

Of course these guys wouldn't know how to do all this but they could have just paid someone they trusted and done a longer trip by going up above Texas. So much stupidity here they deserved to be caught lol

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Dude was traveling from Cali to Louisiana. And decided to cross the border. Everyone on Twitter was wondering why we didn't stay in the country.