• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
i will never know how Barnett wasnt ejected.
He was leading with his shoulder, with his right arm tucked. The head contact was incidental.

The helmet to helmet on the kick return immediately before was much more egregious, but the carrier knew it was coming and his head had room to move/wasn't flush up against another players body with nowhere to go, which helps a lot when it comes to injuries with this sort of thing.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
He was leading with his shoulder, with his right arm tucked. The head contact was incidental.

The helmet to helmet on the kick return immediately before was much more egregious, but the carrier knew it was coming and his head had room to move/wasn't flush up against another players body with nowhere to go, which helps a lot when it comes to injuries with this sort of thing.

Nah the Barnett hit on Williams was WAY more egregious because it was completely unnecessary. The play was over. Forward progress had been halted. There was literally no need to try and hit him at all let alone lay into him like he did.

That shit was obscene.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
NFL players should get paid more
So many rough hits this game, it's just barbaric. The rewards should match that.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A few years ago Danny Trevathan of the Bears pulled the exact same shit, flying in with a headshot well after forward progress had been stopped. It was the exact same situation, Davante had to get taken off on a stretcher.

The NFL gave Trevathan a two ge suspension for this which was later appealed and reduces to one game, I expect the exact same punishment for Barnett.

On the flip side though the diagnosis for Davante was just a concussion and he was back the following week, my suspicion is Williams will be back next week as well.

The stretcher is mostly just precautionary,

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
On the bright side, playing Fraudgers at home should be an easy win now.
I'm pretty sure he does okay in Dallas. Historically. As in, has never lost there.

But, given their terrible run D and the possibility of being down Bulaga, Williams, and Adams, they can't beat the Cowboys. Unless they're frauds, too. Haven't played anybody until Sunday.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
70951434_3115011085240495_1331012800276856832_n.jpg

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This loss exposed the packers and the win made the eagles have a worse pick to their lost season. Lafleur is one of the worst second half coaches Ive ever seen.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How is 2-2 a lost season? lol
They literally are canceling practices because of how many injuries theyve sustained (continued into tonight) and dont have that great of a team in the first place. Barely beat the redskins, lost to the lions and falcons, and barely beat the packers. All theyre doing is playing themselves out of a better draft pick. Theyre not going anywhere this season.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They literally are canceling practices because of how many injuries theyve sustained (continued into tonight) and dont have that great of a team in the first place. Barely beat the redskins, lost to the lions and falcons, and barely beat the packers. All theyre doing is playing themselves out of a better draft pick. Theyre not going anywhere this season.
Lost extremely winnable games, BARELY, due to dropped passes and a depleted corps. Most of the injuries will be coming back in the next four to six weeks, the offense is finding a great rhythm, and a trade for Jalen Ramsey can help shore up the weakest part of their defense.

Eagles could well be four and oh right now, minus some bad luck. It's insane to say the season is over and that they aren't a good team.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lost extremely winnable games, BARELY, due to dropped passes and a depleted corps. Most of the injuries will be coming back in the next four to six weeks, the offense is finding a great rhythm, and a trade for Jalen Ramsey can help shore up the weakest part of their defense.

Eagles could well be four and oh right now, minus some bad luck. It's insane to say the season is over and that they aren't a good team.
I mean just as easily you could say they could be 0-4 and the only team theyve played of any note was the packers, tonight.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I mean just as easily you could say they could be 0-4 and the only team theyve played of any note was the packers, tonight.
Unlike the Cowboys, who're totally awesome and running away with the division
tK981xs.png

For four games into the season, they're fine. If they had a weapon other than a neon-flashing-let-everyone-know-the-target Zach Ertz for the last two weeks, they'd be a lock for at least 3-1, but even dropping both the way they did, they're alive and have beaten basically as legitimate of a team as there is in the league at this point. They have an extended break week and the Jets afterwards. We're not gonna know if they're even in pressure mode until after the Cowboys 3 games from now.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The game against the Redskins didn't come down to a play or two, so I think the worst you can say is 1-3.

The point is, any team with the easy capability of being 4-0 minus a few rough plays, and a highly unlucky injuried-riddled start to the season, may not necessarily be the best team in the league, but you can't say "they suck the season is lost". That's ridiculous.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The Pats have a cupcake schedule every year for existing in the afc east, and the cowboys have played three of the worst teams in the league, yet everyone's ready to anoint them already before week 4 is even over. So hearing comments about the eagles schedule difficulty is laughable.

People said the same shit in 2017. This team can find a way to win more games if they learn from their mistakes and show up on big moments like they did last night.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
OMG THAT WAS AN AMAZING FINISH TO A CRAZY ASS GAME!!!

I fully expected to be super depressed, thinking the season is over, cause I gave the Eagles zero chance to win this game. And the way they started off, I had zero reasons to believe I was wrong. The offense again was terrible to start and the defense got ripped as the Packers just marched down as they pleased.

Offense:
But then our ST finally made a play when Sanders returned it to midfield, giving the offense a jolt. I can't say enough about how Sanders bounced back. From two fumbles and costing the Eagles the game against Det to his ST play and the carries he got, he was great! Same with Jordan Howard! I know run the ball is old school thinking but last night boy did the Eagles need that. The OLINE opened up huge lanes and I was so worried that Doug and Groh would still revert to just pass pass pass. Thankfully they didn't and they stuck with the run game. It was amazing to watch. And the polar opposite of what the Packers were doing on offense.

In fact, what the Packers did, getting super cute when they got to the goalline (2x) in the 4tth quarter reminded me so much of what Doug usually does. I have to give tons of credit to Doug, for at least this season cause what I see is that when they get that close, they don't try to do something super creative. They have a great OLINE and they give the ball to Howard and let him power it in. This is why he was brought here. And on top of that what I am loving is that when they get to a 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1, they don't play around. They have Wentz, who injury worries aside, is a big dude and they just fall forward each time for a 1st. They are 5 for 5 this season when he keeps it for a QB dive. Almost like the Pats do with Brady. It is efficient. Heck, the Packers win last night if they try the same with Rodgers at the goal line.

From an offensive point of view, I loved our game plan, and the players, for the most part, executed it perfectly. Sanders and Howard were great running the ball. We even got some screen passes sprinkled in. TE Goedert is super underrated as a run blocker and of course, had a few key catches including the TD. Having him back and fully healthy was just as big as Alshon.

About the only complain I still have are the slow starts. The offense is supposed to be the dominant unit of this team. We cant start the games with 0 points and down by two scores each game. It is just not sustainable and puts tons of pressure on everyone but esp the defense. They really need to figure this out cause the Eagles should be scoring in the first quarter when you have your first 15 scripted.

Defense:
They did what they could with what they have. The problem is I think they held up as much as the Packers allowed them to. The Packers had no run game to speak of outside of the rushes by Rodgers. So while the Eagles Run D held up, they constantly looked lost and out of their responsibilities whenever Rodgers took off. They are going to see more and more mobile QBs, esp now with Daniel Jones starting for the Giants, and they just have to be better. This is a focus, attention to detail, and effort issue not talent.

What is a talent issue though is our secondary. I have tried to be patient with these corners. They were all high picks or relatively considered midround steals but for 3 consecutive seasons, they have all either underperformed, gotten hurt, or worse yet both at the same time. Its week 4 and our secondary is already depleted to last year's levels. And Jalen Mills and Blanc were already hurt and not playing.

• Darby - I had high hopes and continued to believe but he is always always always hurt. 3rd consecutive season he is missing significant time. I don't even know how to judge him cause I never know when he is healthy. Either way, he is on a 1 yr contract and I doubt we see him back next year.
  • Jones - he was supposed to be an elite prospect who only slid to the Eagles in the 2nd round cause he tore his Achilles during the draft combine. Everyone raved about his instincts and talent and most analysts had him as the top CB in the draft before his injury. He misses all of his rookie season, comes back last year, never really flashed, and then missed the majority of the season nursing an often injured/pulled hamstring. And now again last night, he is getting beat left and right by Davante Adams and then pulls his hamstring. I don't get it. To this point all Jones has proven is that he is consistent at getting hurt. Same as Darby how do we even evaluate him considering we never know when he is a full go? But unlike Darby I don't see the team moving on from him cause he was a high pick, is super young, and for now very cheap to keep. I am rooting for the guy to live up to potential but at this point, it is looking more and more like he is a bust.
  • Maddox - at this point he is our best corner but that says more about our CBs than about him. I like him. He seems to have a natural instinct and for a 4th rd pick, he has overperformed. But again the injury bug. Now last night was the helmet hit and I pray he is ok as that was super scary. We need him BAD cause at least he is somewhat reliable. A good 2nd or 3rd CB but shouldn't be your top CB.
  • Douglas - Also a mid rd pick and for the most part plays well but he doesn't have any speed and can't cover fast WRs. Wins with technique and is a sure tackler. Agains a good depth rotational CB but can't be your start.
I mention all this to basically come to a conclusion we all came to weeks ago. The Eagles need a major upgrade at CB. I don't know what the plan is but they should have done everything to pick up Minkah Fitzpatrick, instead the Steelers get him.

And now Jalen Ramsey is requesting a trade. Maybe the Jags won't trade him and they are trying to convince him to stay but as of this morning, per Adam Schefter, he still wants out of Jax and it has more to do with his relationship with Coughlin and Marone than it does with $$$. Considering how bad our secondary is and how depleted they are now, they need to make this happen if Jags are going to trade him. I know the price is going to be high but this could be the best CB in the league and exactly what you need. Adams just ate this secondary up. We still have to face Cooper 2x, the Vikes WRs, the Pats, and other good to great WRs all of whom will destroy these corners.

The DLINE is also in a similar boat, underperforming and injured. I am less on them because at least their run D has been dominant, they got pressure on Rodgers (just couldn't contain him), and forced the big turnover. But they can't really get pressure or sacks if the corners are so bad that QBs are getting the ball out before the DLINE has a chance. Again all the more Ramsey is needed.

So while I am pumped they won and how they won, I just don't get what's going with this training staff and the injuries. It also is the same guys with the same injuries over and over. Yes, they are a talented bunch and could easily be undefeated if not for drops, but also can be 1-3 cause the Packers gave this game away at the end last night. Howie and team really need to decide what they think this team is this year, and if they do want to contend, they can't rely on the same guys who haven't lived up to the hype and are also always hurt.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe the greatest QB of all time threw into triple coverage on the goal line to end the game and threw Four times in a row on the 1 yard line earlier..

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Well said.
I agree with everything here.

Hope Howie finds a way to make Ramsey happen

As it is, it was a season-saving win. I see Dallas beating the Saints so they will be 4-0 and the Eagles would have been 1-3. Now a welcome mini bye week to recover and ponder what is and isn't working. Until the offense figures it out early in games, they should rely heavily on the run game.

Very curious to see the injury updates on Cox (he was playing hurt by the end), Maddox, Jones, Darby, and even Jalen Mills.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Zeke's gonna run for like 800 yards against the Packers.

I sort of chalk yesterday's loss up to LaFleur being an inexperienced head coach. He tried to get too cute at times, like never running on the 1 yard line for example. Also some of the blame should fall on Rodgers because that 3rd and goal play where he threw it away immediately, and never audibling to a run during that goal line situation.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017

I sort of chalk yesterday's loss up to LaFleur being an inexperienced head coach. He tried to get too cute at times, like never running on the 1 yard line for example. Also some of the blame should fall on Rodgers because that 3rd and goal play where he threw it away immediately, and never audibling to a run during that goal line situation.

Dallas always performs the opposite of what should be expected. Packers run D will bottle up the run game for Dallas and Dak will have a mediocre game but maybe squeeze by with a win

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
It's hilarious to me everytimeI hear about QB numbers. Marino throwing for 5K and 48 TD's in 84 is like 6k 60+ TDs today.

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Please Giant-Era, remove Jay Gruden from my life this weekend.
Gotta be the hottest seat in the league. I think he's the only coach that'll get fired mid season.

I think him, Marrone, Quinn, Rivera, and Fangio (Elway will get fired) are all gone at the end of the season. I could see Gase getting fired too if the Jets finish worse than 6-10. Shannahan too but that's obviously way less likely since they're 3-0.

Probably get at least one "surprise" fire too, thinking it could be Tomlin or Zimmer.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Mills isnt eligible to return until week 7 I believe so I doubt we get any update on him for a while.

Yeah just checked and you are right. So that would be after the Vikings game. So count him out for a while longer.

Gotta be the hottest seat in the league. I think he's the only coach that'll get fired mid season.

I think him, Marrone, Quinn, Rivera, and Fangio (Elway will get fired) are all gone at the end of the season. I could see Gase getting fired too if the Jets finish worse than 6-10. Shannahan too but that's obviously way less likely since they're 3-0.

Probably get at least one "surprise" fire too, thinking it could be Tomlin or Zimmer.

I really don't get what DC is doing and how Gruden fits moving forward? They drafted a new QB so are they expecting to compete for a playoff spot this year? If so, did they really make the moves to solidify the offense? They seem completely directionless and IMO should be well into a rebuild that involves starting Haskins already. What they are getting out playing Keenum I can't tell.

Agree on Marrone, Quinn, Rivera, maybe on Fangio, and def no on Gase. The Jets gave too much power to Gase and then hired his buddy as the GM. Who is firing him? Joe Douglas? Gase bought some time by throwing the previous GM under the bus. None of the moves or picks are tied to Gase or Douglas, who just got there.

Plus with Sam having mono, he at least gets 2 years, if not the 3-5 most teams give. That said, I just don't see anything from Gase and his offense, not now or in Miami, that screams this guy is a good HC and an offensive guru.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
The Eagles probably bring back Orlando Scandrick who was with the team during TC and Preseason.

They should also look into Xavien Howard and to see if Miami is willing to trade him. I mean they traded away Minkah so might as well inquire.

And of course, Jalen has to be a top priority.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
The Eagles probably bring back Orlando Scandrick who was with the team during TC and Preseason.

They should also look into Xavien Howard and to see if Miami is willing to trade him. I mean they traded away Minkah so might as well inquire.

I'll be pissed is Jalen ends up with the Eagles, because I like Jalen and will have to hate him.

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah just checked and you are right. So that would be after the Vikings game. So count him out for a while longer.

I really don't get what DC is doing and how Gruden fits moving forward? They drafted a new QB so are they expecting to compete for a playoff spot this year? If so, did they really make the moves to solidify the offense? They seem completely directionless and IMO should be well into a rebuild that involves starting Haskins already. What they are getting out playing Keenum I can't tell.

Agree on Marrone, Quinn, Rivera, maybe on Fangio, and def no on Gase. The Jets gave too much power to Gase and then hired his buddy as the GM. Who is firing him? Joe Douglas? Gase bought some time by throwing the previous GM under the bus. None of the moves or picks are tied to Gase or Douglas, who just got there.

Plus with Sam having mono, he at least gets 2 years, if not the 3-5 most teams give. That said, I just don't see anything from Gase and his offense, not now or in Miami, that screams this guy is a good HC and an offensive guru.

I'm probably just being hopeful on Gase. The play calling has been horrific, literally just as bad as last year (if I see one more badly setup screen or 3 yard out route on 3rd down I'm going to kill myself). I didn't know Joe was close with him though, I was thinking Joe might rip the team apart if we go 4-12 like it's looking.

I thought it was odd they kept Gruden too. I guess he's getting by on being "mediocre" and because he lost Alex last year. Maybe they just didn't like any of the HC candidates last year, probably also didn't think they'd pull Haskins at the middle of the first round. Can't help but think this team is about to get blown up in the offseason though.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017

They extended Howard in the preseason, he's pretty much their only unmoveable piece besides their rookies

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
I'm probably just being hopeful on Gase. The play calling has been horrific, literally just as bad as last year (if I see one more badly setup screen or 3 yard out route on 3rd down I'm going to kill myself). I didn't know Joe was close with him though, I was thinking Joe might rip the team apart if we go 4-12 like it's looking.

I thought it was odd they kept Gruden too. I guess he's getting by on being "mediocre" and because he lost Alex last year. Maybe they just didn't like any of the HC candidates last year, probably also didn't think they'd pull Haskins at the middle of the first round. Can't help but think this team is about to get blown up in the offseason though.

Yeah Gase and Douglas are close from the 1 yr they spent together with the Bears. Douglas was always rumored to go to the Jets GM because of their relationship. Gase is safe for at least another season or two.

They extended Howard in the preseason, he's pretty much their only unmoveable piece besides their rookies

Right but they have to move salary and get more picks, he might be made available.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man, real bummed about that loss, we had every chance to win that game but blew it on a number of levels.

In addition to that there was a number of significant injuries, Adams is for sure gonna miss some time and who knows about Bulaga, Williams, and Kevin King who were all knocked at out some point.

Here is an interesting breakdown on that third down play

It was an RPO and Rodgers kept it

He threw it away because the safety was bearing down on him because he did a poor job of selling the option.

He probably should have just handed it off with the way the blocking turned out but its easy to see why he didnt given the DE bearing down on the play (who probably couldn't have made the tackle anyways). It gets frustraing when folks question playcalling with hindsight (I'm guilty of this myself), its so easy to say "they should have done this" when what they did didn't work but if they connect on that 4th and goal pass to Graham I don't think anyone is questioning the playcalling down there because quite frankly the eagles played the run excellent yesterday.

Last edited:

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
So, after reviewing the final Packers play (the interception)... why wasn't it reviewed for defensive pass interference at all? It was a turnover play and under 2 minutes so you'd kind of assume it would be an automatic review, and looking at it again it sure looks like MVS was getting hit early.