• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

If your hand is stuck, you would think you would keep tapping the player's head or any part available and yell to let him know your hand is stuck.

Not try to use your other hand to rip the person's helmet off, and maybe scrape someone's face. Hell you might actually make it worse for your "stuck" hand.

It just seems like Mason maybe held Myles facemask to control him, and tried to use the other hand to rip it off.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
If you really want to punish the Steelers instead of suspending Rudolph force them to play him

Exactly. I don't think Mason is deserving of a suspension, but I was certainly hoping he got suspended for this reason alone. Honestly, Garrett could have indirectly saved our season had Mason been suspended a few games.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If your hand is stuck, you would think you would keep tapping the player's head or any part available and yell to let him know your hand is stuck.

Not try to use your other hand to rip the person's helmet off, and maybe scrape someone's face. Hell you might actually make it worse for your "stuck" hand.

It just seems like Mason maybe held Myles facemask to control him, and tried to use the other hand to rip it off.

Yeah seriously this is indefensible
And yet

Oct 25, 2017
Max Kellerman's a fucking idiot.

Saying Myles Garrett had a right to defend himself.

He did even if he towered over the dude charging him.

But not with a helmet.

Stick to boxing, Max.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
No I'm not saying that at all I'm not saying that what Rudolph did is even remotely comparable to what Garrett did what I'm saying is that Rudolph should still be held accountable for the things that he did do. Because right now the league is not treating him the same as everyone else that was involved.

what he did would have resulted in a 15 yard penalty and maybe ejection with no suspension. What punishment do you think he deserves for grabbing at a face mask and attempting to remove a helmet?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
what he did would have resulted in a 15 yard penalty and maybe ejection with no suspension. What punishment do you think he deserves for grabbing at a face mask and attempting to remove a helmet?
He tried removing Garrett's helmet, kicked him in the groin, and then proceeded to go after him once he got back to his feet. He was not the worst person involved in the escalation of the fight, but he was still apart of it. If Rudolph was a CB or a lineman he would have gotten suspended for a game as well.

But he is a QB so he gets a fine. I don't agree with that.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA

Source: the NFL will fine Steelers QB Mason Rudolph for his part in last night's fracas.

Wouldn't oppose a 1 game suspension but at least he's getting some kind of punishment. The late hit started it all so Garrett started it and ended it, the end was just so excessive and unnecessary. This whole thing is just crazy, if Myles never got that late hit in such a pointless play none of this would've happened.

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

What we will never know is what he was going to do if he got his helmet off. He know what Garrett wanted to do when he got Mason's helmet off and it was nothing good. Overall, this has to be one of the strangest fights in NFL history. Not one, but two guys tried to take the others helmet off, and one was sucessful and the other was not.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
What we will never know is what he was going to do if he got his helmet off. He know what Garrett wanted to do when he got Mason's helmet off and it was nothing good. Overall, this has to be one of the strangest fights in NFL history. Not one, but two guys tried to take the others helmet off, and one was sucessful and the other was not.

We don't know for sure.

If Garrett took his helmet off to disrespect Mason, because Mason tried to do the same... and Mason didn't chase him... then we might not have had this incident.

Now if Mason pulled off Myles' helmet and a pissed off Myles was coming after him... we don't know how Mason would've reacted.

What we do know is that Mason is the one who chose to start the facemask take off contest.

Deleted member 36086

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
And tried to remove another's helmet and attacked a player walking away.

Players grab and yank on each others face mask all the time in scuffles and nothing ever happens other than a personal foul penalty or maybe an ejection. And all rudolph did was run after garret and maybe shove him a little bit which also happens all the time in player altercations and isn't suspension worthy either.

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Not sure how pit players keep getting away with it, but it's clear the Steelers player aggravated him ( not saying what he did was justified). Also, pit is dirty as fuck they keep actively taunting players like against the bengals to get burger going

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Players grab and yank on each others face mask all the time in scuffles and nothing ever happens other than a personal foul penalty or maybe an ejection. And all rudolph did was run after garret and maybe shove him a little bit which also happens all the time in player altercations and isn't suspension worthy either.
Rudolph started the damn thing by trying to yank off Garretts helmet, and then kicked him square in the balls.
Im a pretty calm person, and I would lose my shit at that point as well.

Hawkijustin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Iowa
Rudolph started the damn thing by trying to yank off Garretts helmet, and then kicked him square in the balls.
Im a pretty calm person, and I would lose my shit at that point as well.
He tried for like half a second then stopped because he isn't a raging psychopath unlike Garrett and some people on this forum who think yanking on a helmet is somehow comparable to actually ripping it off and bashing another guys head with it.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
He tried for like half a second then stopped because he isn't a raging psychopath unlike Garrett and some people on this forum who think yanking on a helmet is somehow comparable to actually ripping it off and bashing another guys head with it.
Why are you dismissing the 2nd part where he kicked him in the boys?

Oh and go back and watch it again, he damn near had his helmet off.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
I don't think Mason is deserving of a suspension

I don't know how it's possible to come to this conclusion. It's weird, most sports leagues don't want these altercations to take place, yet the players that initiate them are rarely punished. He tried to take Garrett's helmet off for no reason, then kicked him in the groin, then charged at him as other teammates were engaged with him. Those acts on there own are worthy of a suspension, but the fact that those actions led to all of the ensuing suspensions should also be factored in to his punishment.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

He didn't stop because of restraint .. He "stopped" because he was overpowered by the Garret (who's like twice Rudolph's size), then he was separated from Garret by his teammates.

But He didn't actually stop there though, he followed Garret for 10 yards trying to reengage. He only stopped when he got hit with a helmet.

Stop coddling this guy who was asking for a fight and got one. The idea that he isn't culpable Is a white-washing. the fact that Rudolph gets a fine while everyone else gets suspended Is a joke.

Miles was dead wrong for what he did. But it never escalates to this level if Rudolph doesn't 1) react violently to a common, difficult to avoid, pass rushing penalty 2) reinitiate a fight after it was broken up.

Rudolph tried to reinitiate a fight with a man twice his size, moments after that same man drug him across the turf like a rag doll. How is Rudolf not also a raging psychopath in this scenario? The physical outcome of his decision making was NEVER going to end in his favor.

Rudolph should definitely be sitting at home without pay if Larry Ogunjobi is. Anything other outcome is laughable and shows extreme bias.

Last edited:

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've seen a lot of unbelievable things posted in this thread and the like. People actually complimenting Garrett and defending him. Absolutely insane.

Garrett is a dirty player. He had, what, three personal foul penalties within the first couple weeks of the year and one them cost another player his season.

If you watch the play, Garrett wraps Mason up well after he releases and continues to drive him into the ground. It was clearly a late hit. I am not surprised Mason got pissed. Is reaching for another dude's helmet a bad move? Yeah, probably, but I can't fault a dude entirely for being upset about being driven into the ground well after the play had materialized downfield. Besides, Garrett tried to violently pull Mason's helmet off and obviously succeeded as Mason is trying to get up, which could have been dangerous for Mason's neck.

Should Mason have backed off after getting his helmet violently ripped off? Maybe. But for a 275 pound dude to violently swing a blunt object of that weight at a guy's exposed head...that's impossible to defend.

The guy literally could have been killed on national television in the era of head injury concerns. The guy deserves the harshest of punishments and should be really concerned about his own temperament if something like this came so easily to him while playing a game.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you watch the play, Garrett wraps Mason up well after he releases and continues to drive him into the ground. It was clearly a late hit.

This isn't true, Garrett is about to wrap Mason up as Mason flips the ball away. You might want to review the "drive him into the ground" part too. Mason is pulled down on top of Garrett. Everything after this moment is unacceptable.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This isn't true, Garrett is about to wrap Mason up as Mason flips the ball away. You might want to review the "drive him into the ground" part too. Mason is pulled down on top of Garrett. Everything after this moment is unacceptable.
Ok, driven down on another dude then? What does it matter? It was unnecessary.

I see a quarterback getting rushed, releases it, then wrapped up, get turned around and then brought down. That's a late hit.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
People just want Rudolph suspended because of what Garrett ultimately did. Your classic blame the victim scenario. Fact remains that no suspensions were coming for anyone until Garrett attempted to crush another man's skull with a helmet.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a lot of unbelievable things posted in this thread and the like. People actually complimenting Garrett and defending him. Absolutely insane.

Garrett is a dirty player. He had, what, three personal foul penalties within the first couple weeks of the year and one them cost another player his season.

If you watch the play, Garrett wraps Mason up well after he releases and continues to drive him into the ground. It was clearly a late hit. I am not surprised Mason got pissed. Is reaching for another dude's helmet a bad move? Yeah, probably, but I can't fault a dude entirely for being upset about being driven into the ground well after the play had materialized downfield. Besides, Garrett tried to violently pull Mason's helmet off and obviously succeeded as Mason is trying to get up, which could have been dangerous for Mason's neck.

Should Mason have backed off after getting his helmet violently ripped off? Maybe. But for a 275 pound dude to violently swing a blunt object of that weight at a guy's exposed head...that's impossible to defend.

The guy literally could have been killed on national television in the era of head injury concerns. The guy deserves the harshest of punishments and should be really concerned about his own temperament if something like this came so easily to him while playing a game.

I've seen exactly 0 people defend what Garret did. But I see a ton of people, like yourself attempt to understate what Rudolph did.

First of all Garrett is a pass rushing DE- among the most penalized position groups in the sport. Not because of dirty play, but because their primary task is to hit QBs Doing this before they throw the ball is difficult, and often, they don't even know whether or not the ball is thrown.

Garrett's tackle on Rudolph was not dirty. Garret hit him within a step of the ball being thrown, and he brought him to the ground about as gently as you'll ever see it happen in the sport.

You can try to argue that he should have let go once he knew the ball was out... But he had no way of knowing the ball was out. His head was to Mason's non-throwing side, the play was still live. Mason could have pump faked, Mason could have fumbled, the running back could have fumbled etc. With the information he had, Garrett did what he trained to do and what the rulebook allows. There's a reason a flag didn't come out for the hit, despite a judge sitting right there, looking exclusively at the hit.

The very first infraction was committed by Rudolph, this is indisputable. It's unheard of for a QB to react this way to being tackled, even if believes he's hit late.

But there's nothing wrong with this defensive play.

Last edited:

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Rudolph should And will get a fine for trying to rip Garrett's helmet off. And if Garrett had just ripped off Mason's helmet and threw it to the ground, that would be worth a fine too.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Not American so I won't comment on the NFL stuff, but as a MD I'm glad that a giant dude like this didn't get a good hit in, he could've put the other guy in body bag. Yikes.

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
The league will always protect the QB above else, so Mason not getting suspended shouldnt be a surprise, not to mention the fact tha Browns were head hunting the entire game with 2 dirty hit on Steelers playerrs head that end in concussion, one that was so vicious the guy was bleeeding from his ear, Garret driving Mason into the ground with 8 second left only escalated thing to what happened at the end.

Deleted member 36086

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
He didn't stop because of restraint .. He "stopped" because he was overpowered by the Garret (who's like twice Rudolph's size), then he was separated from Garret by his teammates.

But He didn't actually stop there though, he followed Garret for 10 yards trying to reengage. He only stopped when he got hit with a helmet.

Stop coddling this guy who was asking for a fight and got one. The idea that he isn't culpable Is a white-washing. the fact that Rudolph gets a fine while everyone else gets suspended Is a joke.

I'm starting to think all yall thinking rudolph should get suspended because "he started it" don't watch the NFL enough. Every week players get into altercations with each other and hardly anyone gets suspended. Penalties and maybe and fines at most.

Take for example Aquib Talib/Crabtree suspension. Talib snatched Crabtrees chain which got crabtree mad and they both got into a fight. Like these dudes were trading blows and Talib yanked off crabtree's helmet too. Both ended getting suspended for only 1 game and you guys think rudolph should get one game for just tugging on a helmet?

By yours and other peoples logic, Talib should have also received a harsher penalty since he started the fight. I've seen plenty of times where one guy "starts it", the other guy retaliates and the guy who retaliates gets ejected and the guy who started it stays in the game. It doesn't matter who "starts" a fight, players are punished based on the actual physical actions they take.

Attempting to pull a helmet off is the equivalent of yanking on a facemask. If a player got heated because another player yanked on his facemask and started throwing blows then he's getting suspended, not the player who yanked on the facemask.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to think all yall thinking rudolph should get suspended because "he started it" don't watch the NFL enough. Every week players get into altercations with each other and hardly anyone gets suspended. Penalties and maybe and fines at most.

Take for example Aquib Talib/Crabtree suspension. Talib snatched Crabtrees chain which got crabtree mad and they both got into a fight. Like these dudes were trading blows and Talib yanked off crabtree's helmet too. Both ended getting suspended for only 1 game and you guys think rudolph should get one game for just tugging on a helmet?

By yours and other peoples logic, Talib should have also received a harsher penalty since he started the fight. I've seen plenty of times where one guy "starts it", the other guy retaliates and the guy who retaliates gets ejected and the guy who started it stays in the game. It doesn't matter who "starts" a fight, players are punished based on the actual physical actions they take.

Attempting to pull a helmet off is the equivalent of yanking on a facemask. If a player got heated because another player yanked on his facemask and started throwing blows then he's getting suspended, not the player who yanked on the facemask.

I watch football every week, I also played it for 15 years.

You're talking about grounds for ejection which is based on what referees see - A completely different topic than grounds for suspension, which is based on a review of the incident after the fact.

Rudolf didn't just start try to pull his Miles' helmet off, he threw blows, kicked Miles in the groin, then charged and grabbed miles Mile's in an aggressive manner after the ref and two O-linemen had separated the two. (Reinitiating a fight is often grounds for ejection btw, even if no egregious shots are landed.)

I agree, the punishments should be based on the physical actions they take. Based on this, Mile's season long suspension is just and adequate given the actions he took. Mile's fine is not.

because he didn't rip a mans helmet off and try to cave his head in with it. Are you for real?

So you measure rage and soundness of mind solely by whether or not someone hits someone else with a helmet?

Aggressively Charging a man who is twice your size, moments after he just mopped your ass up and removed your head protection, is pure, anger-induced insanity. i.e. raging psychopathy. Honestly, I'm glad he got a glancingly blow from the undersides of a helmet instead of a solid punch to the face, though I wish more than anything that he would have just walked away when Mile's was retreating.

Even if the helmet wasn't used as a weapon, Rudolph's rage and poor decision making wasn't going to do him any favors here. In fact, without his rage and lack of sound mind, none of this would have happened. Are you for real?

Last edited:

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
This thread is strange. Trying to take someone's helmet off isnt new. Fighting isnt even an automatic suspension. Hitting somone in the nuts? Not even strange.

Taking a shot at another man's unprotected head is crossing a line.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not as bad as when Maradona did a Tiger Knee on a dudes face (google it) but pretty bad.

I also completely understand WHY he did it and Im not sure I would do it differently given the context but as a professional you gotta have a higher standard.

Then again, Im no NFL fan to begin with.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both were at fault. One disproportionately. Both have been punished proportionately. One of them just threw away his entire career and future. I wish both of them had just woken up on the right side of the bed.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Both were at fault. One disproportionately. Both have been punished proportionately. One of them just threw away his entire career and future. I wish both of them had just woken up on the right side of the bed.

Myles Garrett is one of the best young defensive players in the league. He has absolutely not thrown away his future. Every team in the league would take him tomorrow, and would pay handsomely for the privilege.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

Who's future do you think is thrown away? Miles will be back next year without a doubt. Rudolf might have a limited future, but that's because he's not very good.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Garrett will be made an example of.

In a league sensitive about brain injuries, you can't wave off slamming someone in the head with a helmet.

We'll see him maybe in another year or so.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
Myles Garrett is more than likely going to become the highest paid defensive player ever when he's due for a contract extension. People will forget about this whole thing in a week.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is strange. Trying to take someone's helmet off isnt new. Fighting isnt even an automatic suspension. Hitting somone in the nuts? Not even strange.

Taking a shot at another man's unprotected head is crossing a line.
This comment is strange .Literally no one disputes that Garret crossed a line.

But there's already precedent for suspending players for nut-kicks and inciting brawls

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a stretch to say that he could have killed him with the helmet.
was he really attempting murder on the field? I think we know if he wanted to do more than bop him for being an asshole, he could have.
he knows better and should face punishment, but lets look at this entire event from start to finish.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You're talking about grounds for ejection which is based on what referees see - A completely different topic than grounds for suspension, which is based on a review of the incident after the fact.

Rudolf didn't just start try to pull his Miles' helmet off, he threw blows, kicked Miles in the groin, then charged and grabbed miles Mile's in an aggressive manner after the ref and two O-linemen had separated the two. (Reinitiating a fight is often grounds for ejection btw, even if no egregious shots are landed.)

I agree, the punishments should be based on the physical actions they take. Based on this, Mile's season long suspension is just and adequate given the actions he took. Mile's fine is not.

So you measure rage and soundness of mind solely by whether or not someone hits someone else with a helmet?

Aggressively Charging a man who is twice your size, moments after he just mopped your ass up and removed your head protection, is pure, anger-induced insanity. i.e. raging psychopathy. Honestly, I'm glad he got a glancingly blow from the undersides of a helmet instead of a solid punch to the face, though I wish more than anything that he would have just walked away when Mile's was retreating.

Even if the helmet wasn't used as a weapon, Rudolph's rage and poor decision making wasn't going to do him any favors here. In fact, without his rage and lack of sound mind, none of this would have happened. Are you for real?

So your saying it was a Rudolph's fault because he was asking for it?

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
was he really attempting murder on the field? I think we know if he wanted to do more than bop him for being an asshole, he could have.
he knows better and should face punishment, but lets look at this entire event from start to finish.

Was he intentionally trying to kill him? No.

He was definitely not going for a "bop" on the head. He fully extended his arm as he made a arc from back to front, over his shoulder. Not sure how you can look at the video and think he was holding back on that swing.

Deleted member 36086

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Lets say garrett rips off rudolphs helmet and instead of clocking him they end up shoving and jawing with each other the most that would happen is they both might get ejected and you know it. But instead garrett clocks rudolph and now rudolph should be suspended? cmon dude.

Again, using my example of talib/crabtree. Talib snatched crabtree's chain (which instigated the fight), pulled off crabtree's helmet and threw punches and he got only one game. No way in hell does what rudolph did deserve the same punishment that talib and crabtree got.

Oh and finally, garrett "reinitiated" the fight because he hit rudolph.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
So your saying it was a Rudolph's fault because he was asking for it?

No. Nice straw man. I'm saying Rudolf should be held responsible for his actions, just like Miles.

I dont think Rudolph asked to be hit in the head with a helmet. But I do think he asked to get into a fight... Twice. That fact shoulnt't be lost on those issuimg discipline

Yeah, 30k fine is insufficient

Lets say garrett rips off rudolphs helmet and instead of clocking him they end up shoving and jawing with each other the most that would happen is they both might get ejected and you know it. But instead garrett clocks rudolph and now rudolph should be suspended? cmon dude.

Again, using my example of talib/crabtree. Talib snatched crabtree's chain (which instigated the fight), pulled off crabtree's helmet and threw punches and he got only one game. No way in hell does what rudolph did deserve the same punishment that talib and crabtree got.

Oh and finally, garrett "reinitiated" the fight because he hit rudolph.

Garrett's actions don't retroactively mitigate Rudolph's actions. Period

Did you watch the fight? Garret took Rudolph helmet and walked away. Rudolf then followed Garrett into the endzone and grabbed him by the collar before being struck with a helmet. I'm not sure how you can argue anyone other than Rudolph reinitiated.

Kicking a player should always result in a minimum 1 game suspension. Especially the groin.

As far as your hypothetical situation - suspensions are always dished out after review. If not for Garret whacking Rudolph with a helmet, none of this would have Been revisited. That doesn't mean Rudolph wouldn't have been deserving of a suspension, it just means people would be unaware of what he did so he wouldn't have any scrutiny.

Last edited: