• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
The partnership returns NFL games to 2K, which is behind the NBA 2K and WWE 2K franchises, for the first time in over 15 years. 2K previously published the NFL 2K series from 1999-2004. The NFL has had a deal with Electronic Arts' EA Sports publishing label dating back to 2004, resulting in the popular NFL Madden franchise.

The new 2K, NFL games are described as "non-simulation football game experiences" and specifics on developers, exact titles and release dates are yet to be revealed. However, current projects are already in early development and are slated to launch sometime in 2021.

"We're thrilled to be back in business with the NFL in a partnership that will span multiple video games centered on fun, approachable and social experiences," David Ismailer, president of 2K, said. "It's exciting to bring together 2K's expertise in creating award-winning sports games with the NFL's renowned status as a world-class entertainment and sports organization."

www.hollywoodreporter.com

NFL, 2K Games Ink Multiyear Partnership for Numerous Future Titles

The NFL has entered into a new multiyear partnership with video game publisher 2K Games that will encompass multiple upcoming titles. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, absolutely yes

Some competition in this space is so sorely needed, I'm very excited for this as an infrequent Madden buyer.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
they specifically say these are non-simulation nfl games so i wouldn't assume nfl 2k as we know it is coming back

it could be like nfl manager or something

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
'Non-simulation football game experiences' = not NFL2K21, sadly.

But still, an exciting development in the world of NFL games that desperately needs something other than Madden.

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
re reads and sees non simulation

giphy.gif

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh none of the EA Sports games are sim like anyway. Madden is more so than Fifa but they are still pretty arcadey. 2k5 is still more realistic than Madden is 15 years on.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Happy that there appears to be more scope for NFL games in the future. I find there's too much going on in Madden to be enjoyable so the idea of a simpler non-sim version with all the licenses is very appealing.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
If the new game(s) (for now) are "non-simulation", then I figure that they might consist of arcade-style action games (something like NFL Blitz), or some kind of NFL-themed card or puzzle games for mobile devices.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost glad they immediately clarified it won't be a straight up NFL 2K22 given 2K's awful business practices in recent years. The company that released the fantastic NFL 2K5 at bargain prices to undercut Madden and provide a real alternative is dead.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Happy that there appears to be more scope for NFL games in the future. I find there's too much going on in Madden to be enjoyable so the idea of a simpler non-sim version with all the licenses is very appealing.

I wouldn't assume they mean non-simulation as in the sense of, like, the sim-to-arcade continuum of "realness", because how would you even legally define that

I think it's going to be, like, a not-controlling-players-running-around-with-the-ball type of thing

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Pandora's box has been opened.

THE KING HAS RETURNED!

djgsigjiwojgwefjopejfpojefqeofgjowighehfpoj40 n4h489hn 8hnc 892hc8mqhoihnuiwuodafuiohvsiovh YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

FishHookFPC

Feb 17, 2020
I'd be happy with a new arcade-style football game on consoles. But I'd assume mostly mobile games are going to come from this partnership.

EA's contract with the NFL expires relatively soon too, I think it's next year? This could be the NFL shopping around for a new exclusive partner, opening up to the idea of ending their exclusivity deal, or at minimum using 2K to leverage EA into a more league-favorable deal come next year.

Oct 26, 2017
They should somehow do a remaster of NFL 2K5 for all systems at max res at 60fps for their respective platforms (1080p for Switch, 4K for the others, etc) with no changes or additions (so free of MTX garbage). It'd be a huge goodwill move if they can.

TheForgotten

Oct 27, 2017
Well its 2K so even if it was a new 2K NFL they would make it like the NBA 2K games and go all in on the card games where they can sell packs and make everythign else a afterthought or painful grind.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No interest in a non simulation football game. Kind of a bummer. We need a real 2k football game back.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Oh man, please let this also be the case for the NHL. Give me any NHL game other than this dogshit EA turns out every year.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
They should somehow do a remaster of NFL 2K5 for all systems at max res at 60fps for their respective platforms (1080p for Switch, 4K for the others, etc) with no changes or additions (so free of MTX garbage). It'd be a huge goodwill move if they can.
This and NHL 2K5 for $20 each at launch was amazing. Not sure if they did that with NBA that year or not.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Time for more 2k kurrency and bullshit from the devs.

Gotta prey on more children for lootboxes

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
LOL what's the point if it's not a return to NFL 2K? I can't believe 2K even agreed to this. They are still locked out of making simulation games, that's so trash. Sure, we might get NFL Blitz or something similar out of this, but Madden is literally the only sim game in town due to contracts.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Either an arcade game or a management game?

Either way, about damn time NFL spread the license around

chilleverest

Jul 24, 2019
You move FIFA. I'm tired of EA's bullshittery, not that 2k have been any better, but their gameplay has been miles better.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waste of time. A lot of people on message boards like this that hate sports games might try it, but these will flop. Real sports fans want simulation games.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Thank you lord!!!!!! Finally we can get something that's not the same old madden experience.

Between this and The Show coming to other platforms, we are getting blessed.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Waste of time. A lot of people on message boards like this that hate sports games might try it, but these will flop. Real sports fans want simulation games.

I'm a "real sports fan" (specifically NHL) and I just want good games that are fun. I don't care if it's simulation or not. Don't gatekeep.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
I haven't ever played the NFL 2K games, so how non-simulation are they compared to NFL Blitz?