• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

Carolina Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly is retiring at age 28 after eight seasons in the NFL.

Kuechly announced the news in a video posted on the Panthers website on Tuesday.

"Now is the right time for me (to step away)," the seven-time Pro Bowler said in the video. "It's a tough decision. I've thought about it a lot and now is the right chance for me to move on.

Luke Kuechly was a former Defensive Player of the Year and perennial probowler.

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'm a Panthers fan and I'm shocked by this news. But I'm happy for him. Health comes first. Dude did all that he could for the team. He has made bank, they will retire his jersey, a future hall of famer and top 5 all time panther player. Hope he coaches in the future.

Thanks for everything Luke! Wish you got that ring at Superbowl 50.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
I get it with all of his injuries that he had, but it doesn't make it less shocking.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Hope he's saved up money, good for him though. I'd love for Gronk to come back and I'm sure plenty of Panthers will be wishing the same of Luke but these guys destroy their bodies so can't blame them when they decide to hang up the cleats. NFL careers aren't even that long from what I heard so 8 years is still a long time , especially for someone at his position.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
28 and he's already a legend as far as I'm concerned. Lived in NC my whole life and if anyone deserves a statue outside the Panthers stadium, it's Kuechly. Dude put his heart and soul into every game. Sad to see him retire but I'm sure he'll probably get into coaching at some point and he's got his whole life ahead of him. No point in risking his body more than he already has.

Also:

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Good for him
Hope he's saved up money, good for him though. I'd love for Gronk to come back and I'm sure plenty of Panthers will be wishing the same of Luke but these guys destroy their bodies so can't blame them when they decide to hang up the cleats. NFL careers aren't even that long from what I heard so 8 years is still a long time , especially for someone at his position.
Yeah, the average nfl career is 4 years.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
He's the only guy I wanted the Eagles to draft that year. But the Panthers took him before the Eagles did. We got Fletcher Cox, so honestly it worked out for both teams. I knew he was going to be an amazing player and he is.

Good on him for making this decision, it wasn't easy but he's prioritizing his health. At the end of the day, he's happy and healthy.

Ride into the sunset Luke, you're 28. Still got plenty of life left to enjoy!

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the concussions he's had have made me sick of watching the nfl. I'm happy he's focusing on his health.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
He's had a shit ton of concussions that we know of. Hopefully he has a long, healthy post-football life.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
Not shocking, happy for him. Dude had a million concussions in the last few years

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is going to happen more and more that players are retiring young. And it's a wise decision.

Especially players that have a history of concussions like him. The picture a lot of people probably have of him is when he was sitting on the field crying after getting a concussion. That's just not worth it if you've earned enough money to live happily from then on.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Linebacker is a great position for turning your brain into scrambled eggs, good call on his part.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Devestating as a Panthers fan, but I wish him the best.

He told his family he would retire if he ever had another concussion but he hasn't had one in a couple of years, so this is surprising.

NFL careers aren't even that long from what I heard so 8 years is still a long time , especially for someone at his position.

For someone as good as he was though a career twice that long is much more normal.

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same number of seasons as Patrick Willis before he retired. This'll be the norm for non-quarterbacks eventually.

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
This "early" retirement has become much more common recently. This, coupled with Marshawn Lynch's words a few days ago of "take care of your body, and take care of your mental," signal how players are starting to view being employed in the NFL.

I suspect younger players retiring - including stars - to become far more commonplace going forward.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Like Luck, he was one of the best players in the league for a while, but when the injuries (concussions in this case) continually pile up, it's easy to see why these guys would rather retire sooner than later.

Jul 18, 2018
Increase the pay for defensive/line players and let them retire early. They get into so many collisions week after week

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
As a Panthers fan I'm bummed but I'm happy he's looking out for his health. He really should become a coach. His football acumen is insane. He's got a long career ahead of him.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
He has enough money for 5 life times, I'd bail before the brain damage too if I were him.

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still a bit salty about his retirement even if it was for his health. Although I don't think he was as banged up as Luke had been.

These dudes are dealing with issues no regular person can comprehend. Patrick Willis was a fierce competitor: if he walked away from the game, it was for a damn good reason. Same thing with Luke Kuechly - you can see it plainly in his announcement video.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Good on him, he's had so very many public concussions. I hope he gets quality time with the people he cares about.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
That's a huge hit to the league but you can't blame him at all. I'm guessing all those concussions had a lot to do with it and his body has definitely been through some shit.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It really sucks for our defense, but that can't be a consideration when it comes to taking care of one's own body. When I read the news last night, I wasn't shocked by it. He's very concussion-prone, and I understand not wanting to subject yourself to more of that.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Makes perfect sense to me. He was dominant enough to make a case for the HoF somewhere down the line and he has made over 60 million dollars. And the guy still only 28.

Walk away with your wealth and your health and live your best life man. I wish him all the luck in the world.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad for him. Not as devastating of a retirement as Andrew Luck, but pretty high up there. Kuechly has been one of, if not the, best LBs in the game since 2012. I wish him all the best.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Going to be more common with the guys who are superstars early. With all the information out there, it makes no sense to put your brain in a microwave for an extra 5 years just to chase a ring when you've made more money than you can spend in your lifetime.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Good that he got out while he was still young. Those injuries always catch up to you sooner or later.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Arguably the best MLB last decade. Desperately wanted the Giants to trade up for him.

Good for him.

Not a hof'er though.

DROY and DPOY. All Pro 5 times. Pro bowler 7 times, did not make the Pro Bowl his rookie year while leading the league in tackles (164). All that in an 8 year career. If Urlacher is in the HoF, so is Kuechly.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Got a long future ahead of him as an analyst or a coach if he wants it. Smart decision given his history.. but obviously it's an incredibly painful one for him to have made.

Hate the reaction by so-called fans to these guys retiring "early." Many of the replies to the tweet announcement are repulsive.

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This "early" retirement has become much more common recently. This, coupled with Marshawn Lynch's words a few days ago of "take care of your body, and take care of your mental," signal how players are starting to view being employed in the NFL.

I suspect younger players retiring - including stars - to become far more commonplace going forward.

And your chicken!! 78% of NFL players declare bankruptcy 3 years into retirement.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine retiring at 28. Spend most of your life doing whatever you want.
Yeah, but at the same time...

Imagine retiring at 28 having suffered multiple injuries including god knows how many concussions, and risking brain damage and massively increased risk of neurological problems for the rest of your life, which might end up being a lot shorter than it would have been had you not played football for a living.