• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Neymar is full of shit imo. They were at each other all game and he comes in with a sucker punch to the back of the head at the end. Just looks like he's trying to save face.
Honestly, you should take some time to question your relationship to soccer, and how toxic it is, if when someone says he received racist abuse, your reaction is to question it.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like Alvaro Gonzalez had some interesting likes in the past

(Vox is the far right party in Spain)

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Disgusting and doesn't belong in the game. People like him and Suarez should be permanently banned from the game but watch Marseille make supporting t-shirts for this asshole.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Disgusting and doesn't belong in the game. People like him and Suarez should be permanently banned from the game but watch Marseille make supporting t-shirts for this asshole.

Suerez is a huge piece of shit who should have been banned for life since the Patrice Evra incident (without even mentioning other bigoted or homophobic incidents he has), he is an animal.

Also pretty embarrassing in this thread discussing Neymar instead of the insult he got.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sad how little traction this is gaining here on Era.

If you had a case of a white player in the NBA being racist to a black one there would be calls for his head on a spike (rightly so), but I guess Latin America player (that many people hate) being at the receiving end of racism and in a sport so ingrained with "tough it up" mentality doesn't gain much traction.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's sad that officials just let this shit go. It's fucking shameful that someone is allowed to use racial slurs and get away with it.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
If it's true, then Gonzalez needs to be banned and taken into any type of class that helps him see what he did is shit. Fuck off with those attitudes.

Same with Di Maria. You just got out of quarantine, and you have the guts to spit onto somebody's face? Fuck off with those attitudes as well.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018

If you had a case of a white player in the NBA being racist to a black one there would be calls for his head on a spike (rightly so), but I guess Latin America player (that many people hate) being at the receiving end of racism and in a sport so ingrained with "tough it up" mentality doesn't gain much traction.
There isn't really anything to add until an investigation confirms the allegation.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
It happens multiple times in most soccer matches. Makes it impossible to watch the sport for me sadly.

while it does happen in soccer, multiple times in most soccer matches is a wild exaggeration.

this is no dig at you, but start running at full speed and get a friend to chase you down at full speed and have them nudge you. The slightest push will absolutely trip you up and and have you falling and rolling over like some sniper shot you in the leg.

the speed and distance that soccer players play at is underappreciated. some of these footballers could easily have decided to be track and field athletes

But Neymar is not black .../s

its pretty normal for people of colour or minority groups to push away the thing that most of the world defines them with

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There isn't really anything to add until an investigation confirms the allegation.
Where have I heard this before...
I think this is the biggest part of it.
Yep, I also don't like Neymar as a football player, but sport is a sport. Racism is racism. And if people here would get clouded by "I hate Neymar's antics" and just shrug it off the racism accusations, tells a lot of some folks over here.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I didn't pick up on the abuse yesterday while watching the game, and just thought Neymar's actions were a combination of frustration over losing, terrible refereeing, and just general petulance. Before the fight at the end, he pushed over a player out of bounds because the player was taking too long to deliver the ball to the keeper. So I thought the scrum at the end was just more of that, Neymar being Neymar.

But I was clearly wrong, and Alvaro is a complete asshole who should be punished.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Brazilian here who clearly doesn't like Neymar. Whatever.
Being victim of racism is godawful wrong and yes I'd like to see him kick the shit out of alvaro. Fuck this shit. Now everyone questions Neymar because he's a diver?

We're not talking football, were dealing with RACISM. What does a sport have to do with it? Fuck his diving but fuck a billion times more this racist POS.

Oct 28, 2017
Beerse, Belgium
User Banned (1 Month): Concern trolling around racism
Honestly, you should take some time to question your relationship to soccer, and how toxic it is, if when someone says he received racist abuse, your reaction is to question it.

Is there proof of this racist abuse? They lose 0-1 at home, might be something else and Neymar is someone who drops to the ground at the slightest touch.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there proof of this racist abuse? They lose 0-1 at home, might be something else and Neymar is someone who drops to the ground at the slightest touch.
To be really blunt, you're all getting really nice replies for people whose first reaction is to cast doubt on such claims. Do you go around every such thread whining there's no proof?

When someone tells you he's been called a monkey, answering "do you have proof" or making sidebars about diving in soccer isn't a great look.

This thread is a fucking embarrassment.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty wild end to the game hopefully they investigate his allegations properly.

Ah yes players diving makes them likely to lie about racial abuse I've read Oxford studies related to that.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
We all know Neymar loves to exaggerate a lot, however racism is not something we should take lightly. They have cameras all over the places, other players were around. The French FF should ban the player for the rest of the season if guilty. I believe Neymar here, but I still believe the FFF needs to find evidence and punish him harshly.

You should see the Eighurs threads, just few people talking. Unless something happens in the USA nobody in this forum cares. I feel this forum is incredible becoming to USA centered. Trump threads 24/7...

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
Ligue 1 disciplinary committee meet tomorrow although further findings could take several weeks

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Neymar is one of the player I hate most in soccer, he is a dumbass but I also think that he would never be lie about something that big and delicate like racism

So in this occasion I believe him, fuck González

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
Neymar now being accused of using a homophobic slur against Alvaro by the Spanish press:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
In the meantime, it is shown what seems to have been the first element in the confrontation. Di Maria spitting towards Alvaro, which lead to Alvaro cursing Di Maria.

Which means Di Maria can expect a heavy suspension, talking about 6 duels potentially.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Monkey isnt just a racist slur, but a xenophobic slur as well, it is a common slur used even against white Brazilians by Argentinians. It islike the most offensive slur you can call a black Brazilian

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even the ones prefacing a defense of a presumed víctim of racism with "EVEN THO I FUCKING HATE THIS GUTS" are embarrasing themselves.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah , you can also hear Neymar saying "Puto maricon " ( the equivalent of "fucking fa%$ot")

What a deplorable situation, the sad part is that this is very common for the sport, specially in Europe.

I know that the French derby provokes high emotions (like any derby) but holy shit.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
The problem isn't that a football player was offended by another player, the problem is that racial epithets have no place in sports.
Even if Neymar is a bigot himself, it does not stop the other player being completely out of line and needing to be punished.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
First set of suspensions are in. Neymar got a two game suspension which is low, Kurzawa got six and Paredes three. At Marseille side, Amavi got three and Bennedetto three but one of them is probationary. Di Maria and Alvaro are still being investigated.

Oct 25, 2017
Article links this video as well

Holding Neymar accountable here is necessary because it would demonstrate to him, and people like him, why it's unacceptable and that there are consequences. But for me there's also an important distinction between calling a straight person "puto maricon" and calling a black person a monkey. Both terrible and harmful, but the latter has much clearer intent and specificity.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holding Neymar accountable here is necessary because it would demonstrate to him, and people like him, why it's unacceptable and that there are consequences. But for me there's also an important distinction between calling a straight person "puto maricon" and calling a black person a monkey. Both terrible and harmful, but the latter has much clearer intent and specificity.
Both are unforgivable and shouldn't be tolerated.