• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

news.sky.com

Neymar claims he was racially abused by opponent as mass brawl mars PSG-Marseille match

The world's most expensive footballer was among five players sent off and claims he was racially abused by an opposing player.

Footballer Neymar has claimed he was racially abused by an opponent after he was among five players sent off during Paris St-Germain's match with Marseille that ended with a mass brawl.

The world's most expensive player received a straight red card following an altercation with Marseille defender Alvaro Gonzalez as PSG lost 1-0 to their bitter rivals. Neymar was heard telling officials as he walked off the pitch that he had been racially abused, with the Brazilian star later tweeting the racist term he was allegedly called.
Following the match, Gonzalez wrote on Twitter that "there is no place for racism", before adding: "Sometimes you have to learn to lose and take it on the field." Neymar's PSG team-mates Leandro Paredes and Layvin Kurzawa were also shown red cards during the match, along with Marseille players Jordan Amavi and Dario Benedetto.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
"Monkey son of a whore" for those unable to read Neymar tweet.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Will be curious what comes Gonzalez' s way. Personally expecting nothing.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory Thread Derailment in a Topic on Racism
I love the sport of soccer. But I love the embarrassing way the athletes collapse and roll on the ground even more.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
Is that an actual tactic? I know peeps make fun of baseball but I've never seen anything like that lol

Also, I trust Neymar on this one.
Exaggerating contact to draw a foul/penalty is a part of all sports where there is contact. Soccer players in particular fake injuries to try and draw a more severe penalty. In the clip in the OP you see two players grabbing face and rolling around. You rarely see athletes roll around when actually hurt.

Edit: Just thought of athletes that do roll around when "hurt". WWE wrestlers.

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Rationalizing Racism; Prior Severe Ban for Dismissing Concerns on Blackface
Also, I trust Neymar on this one.

I cannot trust Neymar, however I'm contradicticting myself here, but it is very likely that this happened and that guy did call him that.

I just think that Neymar must have said something to the other guy first, Neymar has his dirty history too

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot trust Neymar, however I'm contradicticting myself here, but it is very likely that this happened and that guy did call him that.

I just think that Neymar must have said something to the other guy first, Neymar has his dirty history too

He must have said something to be racially abused? Are you fucking for real?

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
what in the actual fuck am i reading
Neymar loses his temper and ends up insulting his opponents and the referees, this has happened with Brazil, Barcelona and PSG. That's what I'm talking about, also he enjoys diving.

And lastly, although I do not know what happened to that case, he was accused of sexual abuse last year or earlier this year? But as I say I don't what came out of that.

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't both Neymar and Di Maria test positive for Covid-19 just recently? The fuck are they doing out there?

If these allegations turn out to be true it'll be interesting to see what happens. "Kick Racism Out of Football" will probably result in nothing more than a 5 game suspension. Take that, racism!

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't both Neymar and Di Maria test positive for Covid-19 just recently? The fuck are they doing out there?

If these allegations turn out to be true it'll be interesting to see what happens. "Kick Racism Out of Football" will probably result in nothing more than a 5 game suspension. Take that, racism!
Were quarantined and then released a couple of days ago. For Neymar at least.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Grown ass men acting like they've just been shot after a little push will never not be hilarious.

Hope the racist shit draws a harsh punishment, dont need that shit in sports or anywhere at all.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
That's not a brawl lmao.

Compared to baseball or hockey that's pretty much nothing.

I hope the racist players get a harsh punishment though.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Neymar loses his temper and ends up insulting his opponents and the referees, this has happened with Brazil, Barcelona and PSG. That's what I'm talking about, also he enjoys diving.

And lastly, although I do not know what happened to that case, he was accused of sexual abuse last year or earlier this year? But as I say I don't what came out of that.
What does any of this have to do with the topic?

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017

Even if he did say something first, that warrants racial abuse?

Get a grip.

TheLionsDen

Oct 27, 2017
QC/NYC
Doesn't Neymar support the Brazil president who's homophobic and racist? The irony.

en.as.com

Furore after Neymar appears in Bolsonaro and Netanyahu video

The PSG and Brazil striker appears in a video tweeted by Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro where he appears alongside Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu.

Before someone puts words in my mouth. No racism is not okay in any form.
"Support" would be a stretch, from what I read, he taken photos with several Brazilian presidents.Outside of that, he's not very political on his Social medias.

"Support" would be more fitting for Lucas Moura who openly endorses and gets defends Bolsanaro on Twitter.

Lucas plays for the club I follow so I support him on the field and he genuinely seems like a nice guy, but his politics are kind of fucked.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully there exists some good footage to give credible outcome on what happened. At the same time, that brawl was embarrassing and should result in some heavy suspensions.

Tiddy

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Victim Blaming and Inflammatory Thread Derailment in a Topic on Racism
"Support" would be a stretch, from what I read, he taken photos with several Brazilian presidents.Outside of that, he's not very political on his Social medias.

"Support" would be more fitting for Lucas Moura who openly endorses and gets defends Bolsanaro on Twitter.

Lucas plays for the club I follow so I support him on the field and he genuinely seems like a nice guy, but his politics are kind of fucked.

The same article says "I hope God uses Bolsonaro to help our nation and that the will of God is carried out".

Either Neymar's pretty ignorant or he just does it for the money.

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
User banned (1 month): Inappropriate off-topic commentary, Victim blaming a target of racial abuse
Love the guy who got slapped and then proceeded to roll like 10 feet on the ground. I like soccer, but watching players act like they got shot is infuriating.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Nice to see people in this thread choosing to comment on not liking football or Neymar, rather than discussing the racism accusations.

There's some pitch-side footage of Neymar shouting at the OM players and accusing them of racist comments before he took the swing, but looks like no footage of the actual incident. This needs properly investigated and if racist comments were said, time for French football to put its money where it's mouth is. There should be severe punishments for this shit, not just a 3 match ban and an insignificant fine to a multi-millionaire. Get it out of the sport.

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
Lets not suspend players because the opposition claimed they said something racist without definitive proof.

There may not be definite proof (i.e. a recording or even other witnesses) players can say things on the pitch without them getting picked up by cameras. All we know for now is that Neymar reported the incident to the referee and assistant as soon as it happened and no sort of investigation appeared to take place.

Does anyone know if Ligue Un have stated that they would investigate the same?

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is so fucking weird

Why people aren't talking about the racism instead of going "I don't like football/Neymar"

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We had a former president just last week on TV drawing a direct line between the word monkey (in an unrelated context) and the n word, asking if he was allowed to say monkey anymore, so yeah, this country is a racist shithole that loves to view itself as enlightened. No surprises this would trickle down. It's systemic and way too many people are comfortable with this.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man just move along if all you've got to talk about isn't the accusation of racism. Some of y'all in this thread are weird.

Anyway, it's fairly easy to believe Neymar is telling the truth considering he reported racist insults to an assistant as soon as it happened in the first half, well before the altercation at the end of the game, Alvaro González has a history of antagonizing players, making fun of Messi's height in the past, and his response to the incident was to pose with his black colleagues to say "I'm not racist, I have black friends.".

Fuck Alvaro and fuck his team. Neymar doesn't deserve the punishment and if racism has no place in football then neither does Alvaro.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
When Neymar was still playing for Santos he was interviewed and asked if he had ever suffered racism and he said "No I have not, because I am not even black..."

Turns out he just needed to move to Europe to learn that

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Neymar says his only regret was not punching Alvaro in the face. Fair comment, if hes gonna get sent off for punching a racist it would have been nice if it was a proper punch instead of what he got sent off for. Fuck Alvaro, you would have thought with all the stuff that is happening around the world right now, someone in the public eye like he is would check himself. Disgrace.

theworldgame.sbs.com.au

Neymar regrets not hitting Alvaro in the face after red card | The World Game

Neymar said his only regret was not hitting Alvaro in the face after being sent off in Paris Saint-Germain's loss to Marseille.

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
When Neymar was still playing for Santos he was interviewed and asked if he had ever suffered racism and he said "No I have not, because I am not even black..."

Turns out he just needed to move to Europe to learn that

Isnt that a thing in Brazil were black means Wesley Snipes black and mixed race dont refer to themselves as black?

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neymar is full of shit imo. They were at each other all game and he comes in with a sucker punch to the back of the head at the end. Just looks like he's trying to save face.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Isnt that a thing in Brazil were black means Wesley Snipes black and mixed race dont refer to themselves as black?
If you ask people if they are black, you might get lots of mixed race as 'no I am not black' but at the same time in real life they are probably suffering the same racism that the "black black" suffer. I might be wrong but maybe it is a case of people themselves being racist and negating their own origins?

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
In England, Luis Suarez was banned for 8 games for racially abusing Patrice Evra even though there was no actual evidence.

Meanwhile, England captain John Terry was banned for 4 games after admitting to putting black before a swear word that starts with a C and aiming it at Anton Ferdinand on the pitch.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Neymar is full of shit imo. They were at each other all game and he comes in with a sucker punch to the back of the head at the end. Just looks like he's trying to save face.
Trying to save face, which is obviously why he alerted the ref's assistant to it early in the match right?

Shut your bitch ass up and fuck off.

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
If you ask people if they are black, you might get lots of mixed race as 'no I am not black' but at the same time in real life they are probably suffering the same racism that the "black black" suffer. I might be wrong but maybe it is a case of people themselves being racist and negating their own origins?

Like I said I think that it is more of Brazilian culture as I read it in a piece from a south american journalist. Im sure Neymar is well aware of his origins but would be classified differently there.

In England, Luis Suarez was banned for 8 games for racially abusing Patrice Evra even though there was no actual evidence.

Meanwhile, England captain John Terry was banned for 4 games after admitting to putting black before a swear word that starts with a C and aiming it at Anton Ferdinand on the pitch.

I mean there was evidence of Suarez abusing evra, there was footage and the FA drafted in a lip reader (i believe) and translator, as well as Evra statement. The argument was that the translation was messed up because porque means 'beacuse' and 'why' which would put a different spin on the phrase (although for me still wouldnt be great.)

As for JT, the FA are gonna FA