• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Any of you all on nextdoor? I keep getting a letter in the mail every couple of months but I really do not want to join hearing all the horror stories.

(but then again, there's also this morbid curiosity to know what's being said...)

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I am on it. It's not that interesting. It's basically facebook but now you know that the people who say certain things live within a certain radius of you.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
The Nextdoor community I am in currently spends 75% of it's time and energy debating whether or not someone should feel bad for calling the cops on a homeless person. I don't think you're missing much.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
- should i call cops on these homeless people?
- lost pet
- suspicious person on ring cam not in your area

that's the gist of it

Oct 25, 2017
I've used it for 6 or 7 years. It's quite useful for reports of suspicious activity, watching out for a lost pet, generally being able to ask for or give help, etc.

The drawback is people love finding ways to bicker and soapbox on it. It's not as bad as other social media though and provides a somewhat important service. You'll want to set it up to only show messages in your immediate neighborhood to get the most out of it. The best thing to do though is to to form as many real life relationships on your street as possible.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have it but cannot say I use it. Now and than I will take a look just to see how many people near me are the special kind of stupid, but it's really just boring as hell.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I'm on it, though it features people talking about subdivisions two or three miles away sometimes which I don't really find relevant. Right now I've got like "landscaper recommendations?", "I hate CenturyLink anyone have any internet service recommendations?" "Boxers running up and down Bayou Street" "someone keeps tagging the fence outside our subdivision" etc. Kind of boring stuff.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I think the most active thread in the past year for my neighborhood was about our local Kroger changing out their plastic bags with a thinner material. It was a bloodbath.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have it but don't use it. I live in an affluent area of North Austin and it's not as transparently racist as my parents suburban Nextdoor area. It's generally people reporting drunk drivers (party street) and possible creeps with drunk girls.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
yeah, there are some dipshits on there but there actually are quite a few nice people around who defend the homeless in the many threads where CONCERNED CITIZENS say they want to dismantle the homeless camps

also holy shit people lose a lot of pets

like shut your goddamn door people

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I quit after a bunch of people starting being all proTrump and the admins would delete only the people that called them on it.
I thought the rules were supposed to be no politics? I know in my circle or group or whatever they call it anyone talking politics left or right gets a warning and if they keep it up get booted.

They are also sticklers about following the rules for self advertising businesses.

Of course I am in Massachusetts so nowhere near your part of the country.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lost/loose pets, animals. There is the occasional car chase/cop stuff that pops up. I like it cos if something happens like some loud bang or something suspicious there will be someone who posts about it.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
If you really want to find out how racist and whiny your neighbors are, that's the app. I uninstalled it. It was nothing but complaints about everything. I guess it really does depend on where you live. But my feed was full of garbage.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I use it. Check it once a day mainly from the daily digest email. Found out one of the well known members on this board is in my neighborhood. Messaged them on nextdoor to say hi.

The best most recent post was about a student at one of the unis driving around in their m3 with an aftermarket exhaust at all times. Was supposedly really loud; people found out which school he went, his parking garage, his license plate, left notes on his car, and went to the school to complain. Seems he changed the exhaust now.

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I found it useful during the weather/power stuff going on in Texas recently, but otherwise I tend to ignore it.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
There are multiple Trump and Don't Tread On Me flags on the block so I'm just alright not being on a mini social network with them, though I guess it could be useful for "everyone's internet down / power out?" questions and the like.

I spent a bit of time on that location-based Yik Yak app a while back which seemed to be a similar idea and found it quickly devolved into petty shittiness, and I assume this would wind up being the same

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
I have it and my local area has some pretty nice people who post.

- Free stuff.
- Discount for any work for the locals (plumbing, electric, that sort of stuff.)
- Discounts for locals for shops sometimes.
and more.

I don't use it myself but signed up for covid updates and whatnot.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
I've used it to successfully reunite two lost dogs with their owners in the last month (and never prior to that) so for that purpose alone I think it's a good service.

Like folks have said, it is entirely dependent on where you live. Most folks by me seem good natured, but a few shitheads are guaranteed.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on it after getting the letters a lot. Lot of lost pet posts, lock up your car reminders, and stuff like that. It was useful for when there was a town wide blackout

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I thought the rules were supposed to be no politics? I know in my circle or group or whatever they call it anyone talking politics left or right gets a warning and if they keep it up get booted.

They are also sticklers about following the rules for self advertising businesses.

Of course I am in Massachusetts so nowhere near your part of the country.
They got around it by by claiming the pandemic was BS. Imagine the amount of misinformation that was spread ugh. I couldn't handle it after I called them out on it and they quoted Trump and MY shot got deleted.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm right on the border of two neighborhoods. Like, the border is 50 ft from where I'm sitting. I don't interact with a single soul or do anything in the neighborhood that I technically live in. I do a ton of stuff on the other side of that arbitrary line 50 ft away. Unfortunately, the last time I checked Nextdoor still wouldn't let me interact with the other side of the line and wants proof of address so I have no use for them.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Wife used it to return some dogs we found wandering the street. Other than that it just seems racist.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Without nextdoor.com we wouldn't have @bestofnextdoor, so it was worth it.

ErzoF0uVoAMJ1zK

EvC5zN3VkAEr_Kk.jpg

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Careful. I joked around on mine and a neighbor I barely knew casually mentioned it to me. One of those obvious outcomes but unpredictably uncomfy feelings.

Blitz

Oct 29, 2017
"Why are there 7 police cars around block x?"
"Did anyone hear the helicopter fly by?"
"Here is a pic of this stranger snooping around the neighborhood."
"My package was stolen"
"Someone dump trash / dog poop near my house"
"The water, trash fee, property tax has gone up again"

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
- should i call cops on these homeless people?
- lost pet
- suspicious person on ring cam not in your area

that's the gist of it
This. You'll occasionally get a post on there that will give you a good laugh based on how absurd it is.

Occasionally you'll get legitimately useful posts, particularly helpful in the Texas snowstorm.