• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

Fightful said:
WWE's return to Saudi Arabia is set.

Fightful has learned that WWE's next event in Saudi Arabia will take place on Friday, May 3.
WWE received heavy criticism from the mainstream media and fans for choosing to return in November for Crown Jewel after it was reported that the Saudi government was involved in the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Despite criticism, WWE moved forward with the event as scheduled. References to Saudi Arabia prior to the event were removed from WWE's website and no mention of the location was made on television.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
9 more years of this.

giphy.gif

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
can't wait to see people pretend to boycott the company again, maybe they'll last longer than a month this time.

Oct 25, 2017
Mariah Carey went there so now it's okay, the WWE should just take inspiration from her statement

"As the first female international artist to perform in Saudi Arabia, Mariah recognises the cultural significance of this event and will continue to support global efforts towards equality for all and looks forward to bringing inspiration and encouragement to all audiences."

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Think they'll have a Women's Tag Title defense there?

... no?

Oh. Dang.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Fuck this company

I cancelled my WWE Network subscription when the WWE decided to move forward with Crown Jewel in November and haven't watched any WWE since then

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
For a second, I legit though this was actually going to be called "Blood Money".

Hurry AEW. You're our only hope!

pentagon-jr-002.gif

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Um, OP, I'm pretty sure the event is taking place in the great nation of Crown Jewel. What is this Saw-dee Aray-beeya place you mention? Never heard of it.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I don't understand WWE's logic. They say they're going there to foster change yada yada.

But if Saudi Arabia is getting everything it wants right now without changing anything. What incentive is there to change?

Its like rewarding a child for bad behaviour. Forgive me if I'm wrong but didn't boycotts and being banned from sporting events work for apartheid South Africa?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that on the same weekend as AEW's Double or Nothing PPV in Vegas?

Edit: Nevermind. Later that month. But the Saudis are paying for an inferior version of the product since the Women's division is far better than anything the men have done from those who are willing to go (Daniel Bryan & John Cena).

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The Greatest Royal Rumble was decent coming off the heels of Mania. Crown Jewel was not and honestly I predict these Saudi events are going to have a lot of duds vs. MOTY candidates. So if they want it to be a money grab, than it is what it is and hopefully the talent phones in their matches too.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
isn't it bank rolled by his dad?

Shahid is the lead investor and owner of the promotion
His dad moved to America in 1967. Went to school here, and then became a self made billionaire doing business here. He's an American.

Pakistan the country sucks, but the stereotyping you're doing is pretty fucking shitty. Stop it.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
For a second, I legit though this was actually going to be called "Blood Money".

Hurry AEW. You're our only hope!

pentagon-jr-002.gif
Call the event Cero Miedo

The Greatest Royal Rumble was decent coming off the heels of Mania. Crown Jewel was not and honestly I predict these Saudi events are going to have a lot of duds vs. MOTY candidates. So if they want it to be a money grab, than it is what it is and hopefully the talent phones in their matches too.
It's absolutely going to be phoned in, they are already getting garunteed money off the event so the wrestlers/producers are going to worry way more about being safe then any kind of match quality.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure I mean by then they'll probably have killed a quarter million Yemeni's so they could actually just build the ring out of human bones to make it as grotesque as possible.

Go full bore with supporting these monsters it's not like the rest of the country gives a shit considering we allow probably the wealthiest people on earth to prop up this farcical country with our guns and oil money.

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It's absolutely going to be phoned in, they are already getting guaranteed money off the event so the wrestlers/producers are going to worry way more about being safe then any kind of match quality.

And also I think the fans and more importantly those in charge over there are so hungry that right now they are just happy about the big names. They could work the most boring match and the crowd will be hot because they get two major events a year.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
How many people pretending to be offended by this will be talking about Smackdown tonight and NXT tomorrow.

You can't just not watch the saudi show and pretend you aren't supporting their bullshit. If you watch WWE in any capacity at all, you are supporting a pro genocidal dictatorship company.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Isnt the contract for ten years? They're not backing out of it. I do wonder if they will just stop advertising it on western TV though. They had some huge programs for the first two, but you don't need it everytime especially if you're trying to hide that you're doing it.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 day): inflammatory generalisations of a community
Honest question as i know nothing about this but isn't aew bank rolled by a pakistani? Pakistan is a huge ally of saudi arabia, what makes you think they wouldn't go there if offered.

Just asking questions?

How many people pretending to be offended by this will be talking about Smackdown tonight and NXT tomorrow.

You can't just not watch the saudi show and pretend you aren't supporting their bullshit. If you watch WWE in any capacity at all, you are supporting a pro genocidal dictatorship company.

This right here. WrestleEra is full of cowards and apologists. I'm so glad I left that community.

Status
Not open for further replies.