• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Let the series go out with a decently untarnished rep, and let its memory go on with the Netflix show. The Sony rumor just does not make sence. Metal Gear and Silent Hill are PS associated IPs, end of discussion, but Castlevania.... Ehhhhhh.

The only way Sony could consider going for Castlevania is if Bluepoint's game is somehow a Metal Gear remake, and Toyama is indeed doing a SH reboot. Both of those do great numbers, and Sony and Konami say screw it, we might as well try to revive Castlevania as well.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I'd love a 2D game but I feel in my bones that that's not in the cards. Possibly an Igavania collection at best.

So then it'd mean a 3D game. We've had DMC-Vania with Lament and Curse and GOW-Vania with Lords of Shadow and neither captures the SOUL of Castlevania.

I want more methodical combat where every hit matters, I want crushing difficulty with intimidating bosses that will destroy me if I fuck up and importance on interconnected level design of Super Metroid/ SotN/Dark Souls 1 set in Drac's labyrinthine castle. I'd love for them to look at what Souls did, particularly Demon's and DS1, and see where they can go/how they can improve it from there.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, if there's going to be a Bloodstained 2, it's probably that. I don't want a Castlevania equivalent of Contra Rogue Corps.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I feel like the series is pretty much going to be forever bound to the Netflix series and various re-releases of the classic games for the dawn of time. I just played Lords of Shadow for the first time and I feel like while it definitely did have a lot in common with classic-vania (the fair ones at least so Super Castlevania 4 and Rondo), it also had a fair amount of clunk and just did not play very well (unlike the fair classic vanias) and also just failed to restart the series (since its dead now)

I personally would love to see them make new 2d Metroidvania style games (although I fear they would feel soulless without IGA) as well as try to make a new 3d game set in a Dracula's castle scenario entirely, and just make it a game similar to Arkham Asylum but with better combat, more open endedness, more dense areas, and less tedious secrets. I would also want this 3d game to have lots of different puzzles and environmental challenges as well.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love a 2D game but I feel in my bones that that's not in the cards. Possibly an Igavania collection at best.

So then it'd mean a 3D game. We've had DMC-Vania with Lament and Curse and GOW-Vania with Lords of Shadow and neither captures the SOUL of Castlevania.

I want more methodical combat where every hit matters, I want crushing difficulty with intimidating bosses that will destroy me if I fuck up and importance on interconnected level design of Super Metroid/ SotN/Dark Souls 1 set in Drac's labyrinthine castle. I'd love for them to look at what Souls did, particularly Demon's and DS1, and see where they can go/how they can improve it from there.

I think the thing both of those eras of 3Dvanias failed at that the N64 era nailed was atmosphere. Having combat is one thing, but also setting a tone for an adventure is another.

Lament of Innocence was just hallways with enemies. Curse of Darkness tried to add more variety in the areas, but that was about it. And the Lords of Shadow games barely went in on gothic tones because you can say LoS1 only does it a third of the time and LoS2 maybe does it 40% of the time, falling apart into generic mediocrity when they deviated. It was Castlevania 64/Legacy of Darkness that was most consistent with a world that captured the themes and DNA of the series. I know people like saying Bloodborne is 3D Castlevania, but Castle Cainhurst is very "flat," which is a product of a game with no jump button.

Something like the N64 era, with a strong sense of verticality and atmosphere, is what would be ideal in a 3D game. Otherwise it risks being a generic game using the Castlevania name for branding purposes.

Also, Ayami Kojima must be lead artist. A 3D game capturing her style would be remarkable to behold. I want a game to try that look and not fall into too much anime or too much western dark fantasy.

CSPzJHV.jpg

Last edited:

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I think the thing both of those eras of 3Dvanias failed at that the N64 era nailed was atmosphere. Having combat is one thing, but also setting a tone for an adventure is another.

Lament of Innocence was just hallways with enemies. Curse of Darkness tried to add more variety in the areas, but that was about it. And the Lords of Shadow games barely went in on gothic tones because you can say LoS1 only does it a third of the time and LoS2 maybe does it 40% of the time, falling apart into generic mediocrity when they deviated. It was Castlevania 64/Legacy of Darkness that was most consistent with a world that captured the themes and DNA of the series. I know people like saying Bloodborne is 3D Castlevania, but Castle Cainhurst is very "flat," which is a product of a game with no jump button.

Something like the N64 era, with a strong sense of verticality and atmosphere, is what would be ideal in a 3D game. Otherwise it risks being a generic game using the Castlevania name for branding purposes.
Yeah you're right about the CV64 stuff, I should've mentioned that too and I agree they came the closest but also fell apart terribly unfortunately. Legacy of Darkness especially almost got there at times... kinda!
I haven't played BB yet but I know from what I played of Demon's/DS1, something like that crossbred with LoD could resemble what I'd like. Iirc Sekiro had platforming or at least jumping? I wonder if that's closer to the thing I'm imagining.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
If actually like another collection of titles for the games that didn't make it into the previous one. After that I'd like to see a new 2d game. Doesn't have to be a big thing but a small fun game. Think it would resonate really well nowadays as the IP has been on ice for so long. That a new game at the right spot will get tons of eyeballs

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Just give us Order of Ecclesia on modern consoles, doesn't get any better than that anyway

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
The only company i would trust with a 3D Castlevania take would be FROM. Outside of that they should stick to smaller scale 2D / 2.5D games like Bloodstained.

If Konami wants to license out the IP, they shouldn't pick one of the console makers, none of them. Neither Sony, neither Nintendo, neither MS.

For a start, a second collection with the Metroidvania games would be rad.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
All I know is I don't want a Metroidvania. There's ten trillion of them clogging the marketplace these days, and it's time to move on. Even Bloodstained failed to keep me interested.
I also don't want a "Souls" style game. I'd prefer a faster pace

I'd be happier to see Castlevania return as a full on action game like Devil May Cry V, but with great environments. I'd be up for a female lead character wielding daggers and magic.

Only problem is who would develop? I think
it would be smartest to give the license to someone with some deep pockets like Sony, but it should also be multiplatform.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Either sell the license or re-release all the games on all current platforms so more people can play it and i don't have to support Konami on new games.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The should focus again on :
- Castlevania adventure game (indie like game, aka super castlevania)
- Castlevania metroidvana with some extra twists
- Castlavania 3D somehow, but so far different from what they did (because none of them were good enough)

In anyway, use the orginal composer that creates the music or another one that understands and create the same music.
If this is not the case == not interested.
It's the most important thing for me, secondly the gfx.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
What I'd like from Castlevania is many things, as it's one of my favorite series since the original back in the 80's:

I'd like more Legacy Collection releases: the GBA and DS games, please. Or at least gimme Aria of Sorrow re-release. I really liked Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness as well, so I'd like an HD remaster of those.

Then, going forward, I'd like new entries in the series. Bloodborne gave me a taste of what a 3D Castlevania could be, so that'd be cool, but I'm a sucker for Igavania's, and would love more 2D releases. Bloodstained was awesome, so I'd love that as a template for a modern 2D Castlevania reboot.

The animated series was awesome. A reimagining of Castlevania 3 could be awesome, especially since we have the original CV3 in the Legacy Collection already. I don't expect Konami to do any of these things, but it'd be nice.