• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I can see the argument for most of these, but come on, "an official name?"

Can I get an insider tag if I confirm, right now, that the PS5's successor will (barring any last minute changes) be called the PlayStation 6?

Yeah, I can't go back on this. If they aren't native, hopefully the third party makers get their stuff out fast. Post Elite Controller, I'm not going back to traditional controllers.
Could've called it PSV considering the dev unit V design.
But yeah maybe that wasn't the big news ;P

I just think it was weird to drop these news like this. *pop* From nowhere.
Maybe there was some Ieaks floating around and they wanted to push out the info themselves?
Or maybe they're doing it because of the Stadia launch?
Or maybe MS is about to talk soon?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
The controller stuff is all music to my ears. Better battery is huge. The PS4 controller battery is embarrassingly bad. Haptics and all that sound pretty great, but this kinda sounds like the Switch's HD rumble talk.

Glad I can apparently opt out of installing multiplayer and stuff like that.

Is Sony gonna be stuck naming these PS 5, 6, 7, 8, etc til the end of time?

Oct 25, 2017
The average consumer doesn't care about "justification," they only vote with feelings. It's also clear that people treat these devices very differently from other technologies that they're willing to spend 2-3x more on. When it comes to video games, the average consumer is way more receptive to getting as much as they can for as cheap as they can. I think a PS5 at $499 will sell slightly worse than PS4 at $399, but if you go higher than that, no amount of, "our PS5 is worth $599 because it has X, Y and Z" will be good enough.

Do y'all think they'll include a free month or two of PS Now to get people familiar with that? I can see it.

It would be smart to help to increase the value of what I think will be a higher MSRP. This thing needs to improve PS4 games outta the box.

I think that would be a big selling point for the mainstream. I'd replay all my old PS4 games if the PS5 could seriously improve them.

Still dreaming about 4k 60fps Bloodborne with good AA (though Sony needs to give this one a proper remaster complete with HDR)

The 4k uhd player will also help. Didnt matter much for the XBX this gen but 4k/hdr is still coming into it's own and microsoft garnered too much consumer ill will this gen for it to matter.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Well, I hope you're wrong. But I guess we'll see.

Although I don't know what is needed for licensing. They aren't re-releasing the games, like Nintendo did so with their Virtual Console. It is just designing the system so it can run the older games, licensing wouldn't be needed for that.

Licensing is needed for CD-ROM functionality (PS1). It would only be needed for PS2 in the instance of re-releases (digital). I think it's pretty safe to assume the PS5 will play DVDs, since it's still such a big market, but it would be on Sony to implement a PS2 emulator on PS5, and even then with PS4 it was still case by case (thus, the re-releases of titles on PS4 through the self contained exe packages).

I just think it's incredibly unlikely that Sony goes any further than PS4 as far as native, full BC is concerned. It's additional money they have to spend that they don't really "need" to spend, particularly at a time when tariffs will likely hike the price of the PS5 up beyond their desired price point, either diminishing their profits, or reducing the number of early adopters at the start of the consoles life cycle. It's not a necessary risk for them, financially.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Interesting. Just last night I was saying Sony would likely do another tease/announcement this year but I didn't think it would be this soon.

RIP team #2019 and congrats team #2020. I would love to know the reason(s) why Sony decided to skip 2019 one day.

I like how Sony have confirmed the dev kit outright and referred to rumours about the dev tools/dev kits being late are wrong (anyone have a link about this?).

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO SONY

"PlayStation 5 is coming Holiday 2020" tweet on a random tuesday
9315.jpg

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely using the Roman numeral for all their marketing. Bet.
It's about to be the gen of the V

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Just last night I was saying Sony would likely do another tease/announcement this year but I didn't think it would be this soon.

RIP team #2019 and congrats team #2020. I would love to know the reason(s) why Sony decided to skip 2019 one day.

I like how Sony have confirmed the dev kit outright and referred to rumours about the dev tools/dev kits being late are wrong (anyone have a link about this?).

I dont need to be Sony to answer why PS5 isn't 2019. It's simply not ready yet, from first party games standpoint to BC compatibility as you can read in the other thread.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
So Sony have clarified Holiday 2020...now lets see if Microsoft want to go head to head again in the holidays or go early...interesting times ahead

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I dont need to be Sony to answer why PS5 isn't 2019. It's simply not ready yet, from first party games standpoint to BC compatibility as you can read in the other thread.

You misunderstand. From the first talk/hints of PS5 back in mid-2017 it was the plan to launch in 2019 per Matt. Then late last year/early this year Klee said he heard it was to add BC but that is unconfirmed. I would like the full story as I'm nosey....

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I couldn't care less for a new generation. I'm really not feeling it.... I play games since 1989.... I don't know why but they really need to create new ways to interact with game. I'm much more interested in the new PS VR2.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Exciting news on the controller. I hope this brings back some novelty, something I haven't experienced since playing GT2 with the Dualshock controller for the first time.

I just hope my ps4 lasts until PS5 releases. I have already opened it up twice due to overheating...

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It won't, not just for the cost, but there's also PlayStation Now to sell.

this is a weird take. The PS5 is launching in 2020. The PS3 is a 2006 console that was discontinued in 2015.
Wouldn't the selling point for PSNow going forward into next gen be the back catalogue of *PS4* games, not PS3 games?

If so, why does the PS5 have PS4 backwards compatibility? Doesn't Sony have PSNow to sell?

excluding PS3 compatibility while including PS4 compatibility doesn't really make much sense in that context.

as for cost- as mentioned previously Sony still has to use actual PS3's to run games via PSnow. It's cheaper for them to just have one device that can do PS3/4/5 games than it is to keep obsolete hardware like the Cell and RSX in production for people to stream PS3 games.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna need to hear about BC before I can be interested. Otherwise I'll just wait a few years for it to be on sale and enjoy the exclusives at a discount as well.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that it is confirmed its coming next Holiday, I am definitely saving for it from now until launch. Time to set up a Day One Fund.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
Some ps4 games have the option to install MP or sp 1st. The difference here is that it's not up to the devs to implement that feature anymore. It's part of the os this time.
The download single or multiplayer first feature on PS4 is part of the PlayGo system which was standard in the SDK and OS from day one but optional for developers to implement and implement well.

Hopefully all the feature additions for PS5 are made as easy as possible to implement for developers and dangling them like a carrot now (to us) adds a bit of pressure for them to be implemented properly and consistently.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
I'd definitely just settle for ps4 BC to ease the generation transition and allow me to not buy any of next years game and save them for launch titles for ps5

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So ready for this. This has been the worst year in gaming of the past two generations.
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • RE2make
  • Apex Legends
  • DMC
  • Division 2
  • Metro Exodus
  • DMC5
  • Sekiro
  • Days Gone
  • A Plague's Innocene
  • Mortal Kombat 11
  • Control
  • Gears of War 5
  • Astral Chain
  • Borderlands 3
  • Death Stranding
  • Star Wars The Fallen Jedi
  • CoD Modern Warfare
  • Zelda Links Awakening
This year has been fantastic.

Jul 26, 2018
We won't know without more detail how exactly the acceleration compares.

There also isn't a fixed definition of what 'full' acceleration means. For example, by some people's measure RTX is not 'full' acceleration, by others that's the standard of what 'full' acceleration means.

What we can say is that some or other part or whole of the ray tracing process is accelerated in hardware, but how it compares in the specific, nevermind in performance, is an open question. However, hands down, I think we can assume having 'some' specific acceleration in there is better than the none that was generally assumed prior to the first next-gen console info coming out.

It's more or less what I thought, there's at least some hardware acceleration but we don't know if it's "fully fledged" or just a partial thing.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • RE2make
  • Apex Legends
  • DMC
  • Division 2
  • Metro Exodus
  • DMC5
  • Sekiro
  • Days Gone
  • A Plague's Innocene
  • Mortal Kombat 11
  • Control
  • Gears of War 5
  • Astral Chain
  • Borderlands 3
  • Death Stranding
  • CoD Modern Warfare
  • Zelda Links Awakening

Also Greedfall

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • RE2make
  • Apex Legends
  • DMC
  • Division 2
  • Metro Exodus
  • DMC5
  • Sekiro
  • Days Gone
  • A Plague's Innocene
  • Mortal Kombat 11
  • Control
  • Gears of War 5
  • Astral Chain
  • Borderlands 3
  • Death Stranding
  • CoD Modern Warfare
  • Zelda Links Awakening
I'm pretty hyped for Fallen Order and need to check out Borderlands but I've only picked up Zelda out of all of those, that list just doesn't interest me. Especially compared to last year when he had so many GOTY-worthy heavy hitters like God of War, Spider-Man, Odyssey, and RDRII.