• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation: *deep breath*.....it's going to be called.....wait for it, this is big..... the PlayStation ...5

The Masses: YEEEEEAAH! OMG Amazing! Take my money!!!!

Xbox: We all knew that was the name!!!! Its NOT news, don't be excited for that! How do they fucking keep doing it?! I feel like I am taking crazy pills!
This is much better than what the Onion came up with today.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
is this the first time both xbox and PS launch in the same year?

If Sony wants to keep alot of those previous Xbox360 gamers who switched over this gen... then Sony better have as much systems as possible in stock. No playing shortage games.

Because if those folks can't find a PS5 to buy anywhere....and there are Next Gen Xboxs available, these gamers might want to scratch their next gen itch with an old familiar friend.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just waiting for the reveal, where they whip out a copy of silent hill 2, slap it in the ps5 and up it boots to thunderous applause.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has it been confirmed yet if BC will only be for PS4?
They only confirmed PS4, haven't said a word about the other generations.

I've no idea how they can do PS3 Cell emulation, maybe it's doable for cheap after 10 years? I definitely it to play Mass Effect, and PS2 for Burnout.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
If Sony wants to keep alot of those previous Xbox360 gamers who switched over this gen... then Sony better have as much systems as possible in stock. No playing shortage games.

Because if those folks can't find a PS5 to buy anywhere....and there are Next Gen Xboxs available, these gamers might want to scratch their next gen itch with an old familiar friend.

Considering xbox launches with halo infinite, i dont think it will be as readily available as you think. Im personally starting with xbox next gen just cause of that.

Last edited:

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Transfer the whole game from HDD to the SSD before you can play it?
Hahahaha.
Be serious. That would be hyper unintuitive to the whole fast booting games.
Barack-Cheesin.jpg

The reserved space on SSD makes alot more sense than having to transfer a ton of data to the SSD before you can actually play the game.
As has been stated game data is more modular on PS5 so when you boot a game even off an external it can transfer whats need for boot to the SSD reserved space, then slowly(as quickly as the HDD can go) fill it up with whats needed for the game. And from there the game can leverage the SSD quick-switching to/from main memory. So for fast travel maybe all the fast travel points are on the SSD when you fast travel thats quick switched into memory and the rest of the area is then loaded into the SSD reserved space.
Transferring the game from an external HDD should be faster than downloading 100GB of data every time you want to replay a game.

It's that, or get used to deleting/downloading the game everytime. And we have a ton of digital pack rats in era.

I doubt you'd be able to play it off an external drive.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
He was relieved to reveal the name is Playstation 5?

Did anyone expect anything else?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Transferring the game from an external HDD should be faster than downloading 100GB of data every time you want to replay a game.

It's that, or get used to deleting/downloading the game everytime. And we have a ton of digital pack rats in era.

I doubt you'd be able to play it off an external drive.

Are you NOT reading my posts or something?

Jul 26, 2018
Given the many questions he's received since, he fears he may have been ambiguous about how the PS5 would accomplish this—and confirms that it's not a software-level fix, which some had feared. "There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware," he says, "which I believe is the statement that people were looking for."

Does the word acceleration mean that it's the full raytracing feature or is it a midway implementation? In other words, is it comparable to an RTX card? (not the implementation itself as it differs from manufacturers, but comparable).

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Because all of this is minor news and would most likely never make it to the actual stage show.

It's like people saying why are they not announcing full BC in this article, THAT is big news and would definitely be presented on stage.
Come on, an official name, a holiday 2020 launch and hardware ray tracing is way bigger news than backwards compatibility.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Weird that they're giving so much drip feed info about most aspects. I guess it may be too late for say MS to change much at this stage.

Maybe just to get the lead on features MS has which are similar or the same and the impact is much less. Like they did with ray tracing.

All sounds super promising though so far.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
They only confirmed PS4, haven't said a word about the other generations.

I've no idea how they can do PS3 Cell emulation, maybe it's doable for cheap after 10 years? I definitely it to play Mass Effect, and PS2 for Burnout.

Ok, thanks.

With how powerful it sounds like PS5 (oh, sorry, Playstation 5) is going to be, I would think they could compensate for the Cell architecture.

I have a huge backlog of PS2 and PS3 games I still need (want) to play and don't know how much longer my BC PS3 will last. So would like a replacement for it.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
It will have a 4K BR player.

Thank you.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
With PSNow potentially going on PS5, and PS4 games confirmed being backwards compatible with PS5, that's a system launching with a heap of quality titles at the ready.

I'm expecting a October/November release window, similar to the PS4.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
I mean I wouldn't say that... anything is possible in today's world. Just looking at that tech.. then again, xbox one X was 499$. I could see them sticking w/ 499 for the PS5.

It wont be $599 dude, you can just let that one go.

the only way i can even see that happening, is if they have a $399, or $499 one available at the same time.

A stand alone $599 console is not happening.No matter what todays world is, or the possibilities.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Does the word acceleration mean that it's the full raytracing feature or is it a midway implementation? In other words, is it comparable to an RTX card? (not the implementation itself as it differs from manufacturers, but comparable).

We won't know without more detail how exactly the acceleration compares.

There also isn't a fixed definition of what 'full' acceleration means. For example, by some people's measure RTX is not 'full' acceleration, by others that's the standard of what 'full' acceleration means.

What we can say is that some or other part or whole of the ray tracing process is accelerated in hardware, but how it compares in the specific, nevermind in performance, is an open question. However, hands down, I think we can assume having 'some' specific acceleration in there is better than the none that was generally assumed prior to the first next-gen console info coming out.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The people bemoaning the lack of show do know it will get one to reveal the final console, price, release date and show games don't they?

All this tech stuff is usually what has to get chased up after the shows to confirm anyway. Then you get numerous articles about that. Then ones to correct those because they got something wrong.

People acting like nothing will be shown at all and you'll have to read an advertisement in Playboy to find out it was already released with Knack 3. Probably the same ones that liked the pie charts and sales talk in E3 conferences.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Varying levels of resistance from the triggers! Yes! Been wanting that for ages. Would be even better if they added it to all buttons but even just having it in the triggers is awesome. Finally!

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
"Even though it will be fairly fast to boot games, we don't want the player to have to boot the game, see what's up, boot the game, see what's up," Cerny says. "Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time. Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like."

I wonder two things

1) will you be able to 'jump' straight into parts of games without any of the boot-up malarky (splash screens) etc. that normally delay immediate play. If so, that would be great. One of the reasons Dreams feels so 'next-gen' to me is the ability to quickly hop between different 'games' with no fuss, and little loading.

2) If so, the relevance of this for streaming. I think that would dovetail nicely for streaming consumers, the ability to speed up the process of actually getting into something playable, from the time you click or tap on the 'start' button from your streaming client.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He was relieved to reveal the name is Playstation 5?

Did anyone expect anything else?
Sure, talking to friends internally the overarching mandate had long been to only call it "next-gen". I'm not sure when the decision to call it the PS5 was finally made, but it wasn't an obvious decision from the start. With that said, I think it was the right one.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably been asked already , so in that case I'm sorry. I've read the OP and it didn't mention if the light and touch pad is still included in the new controller?

Nov 11, 2017
Software
I feel like they wouldn't have selected Bluepoint if their game isn't the big launch exclusive.

Demon Souls works I guess but I feel like it may be an even older game. I still think it will Metal Gear Solid, but idk if that means Sony paid Konami a bunch to make it exclusive or outright bought the IP. It's heavily associated with PS brand and Sony seems to be intent on buying studios now, so an IP isn't out of the question or at least buying a lifetime exclusivity in this particular remake

My guess is Bluepoint has the big launch exclusive, then rest of launch games are cross gen (BGE2 for sure) and in 2021 we get Horizon 2, Gran Turismo 7 or Sport 2.
But wasn't DeS practically confirmed by an industry insider (the one that shall not be named on here. So it's very likely BP is working on that DeS remaster.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm really curious if the file system will change significantly. Hoping that it doesn't, so I can just plug in my PS4 HDD and use those games w/out the need to re-download & re-transfer titles to a new storage device.

You're right, of course. But I can't help it, I will still be disappointed if they confirm no BC (besides PS4).

Fair enough, and I agree I'll be disappointed, but I fully expect it to have no PS3/2/1 BC. PS3 is too complex, and games would only be emulated on a case by case basis. PS2 has a crazy house of license problems going on for each title (mostly audio / music) so that probably would be case by case as well, likely similar to PS4. PS1 probably won't have BC because Sony has shown they don't want to pay the fee per console to read compact discs, and with the trade wars continuing to escalate, I don't expect them to pay extra for this when it won't be used by a vast majority of the userbase.

PS4 BC will likely be the best we'll get, and PS Now will likely be coupled with PS+ at a premium price to allow people to play PS3 games via streaming, with a large library of PS4 games available to download. That's, in my opinion, the most likely outcome.

It's probably been asked already , so in that case I'm sorry. I've read the OP and it didn't mention if the light and touch pad is still included in the new controller?

It is almost 100% certain.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
With PSNow potentially going on PS5, and PS4 games confirmed being backwards compatible with PS5, that's a system launching with a heap of quality titles at the ready.

I'm expecting a October/November release window, similar to the PS4.

This was brought up a few times previously by other posters, but there's good reason to believe the PS5 will be PS3 compatible.
At present, the PSNow Servers are running actual PS3 hardware in order to stream those PSnow games. It's not a viable long term solution if they intend to keep those games on the service, because continuing to manufacture cell processors and RSX's and whatever gets more expensive not less expensive over time.

A single hardware component capable of running PS3/4/5 games makes more sense financially, and the PS5 should be more than powerful enough to emulate the PS3, unlike the PS4.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I am going to remain skeptical of next gen consoles ray tracing capabilities. Nvidia Ray tracing hardware is bespoke and it took a massive part of the GPU die to implement. Hence why GPU size increased significantly for Turing verses Pascal. The performance of ray tracing on RTX cards is not that great either. I just don't see how AMD could come up with a better solution considering how much they are behind Nvidia on this front. On top of all of that, the increase in GPU die will increase cost significantly and more importantly, it will also increase power consumption of the system. I actually could see this gen actually hitting at $499. Will see what happens.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They already announced it in April exactly like this with a random tweet drop

They are slowly giving us more info about it until a full blowout at the reveal
LOL this is hilarious on different levels.

The "point" is you're talking about it, no? Mission accomplished. Your feigned concern is essentially the same as fake news.
Buddy, they had a state of play just a few weeks ago. I'm not concerned for Sony. I just don't like their cockiness recently. It's gonna backfire for them.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
With regards to downloading single player and multiplayer individually, didn't Uncharted 3 provide that option and wasnt it supposed to be available on the PS4? I think I remember an ad showing it.