• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Any chance there will be PS5/Scarlett versions of FromSoft's Elden Ring?

I get the feeling that Elden Ring might not release in March/April/May 2020. It's either going to be Fall 2020 or March/April 2021.

I think the later the release date, the more likely it could be a cross-gen game on PS4/XBO, PC and PS5,Scarlett.

You understand they're backwards compatible right ? You can be certain the recent games will also come with dedicated ps5 patches like the ps4pro did.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
I hear Shawn Layden wanted to call it the Playstation 3 Part 2 and that's why he was forced out

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
None of this will matter unless MS also has it, it will just be ignored because dose the mS have some parity thing?

I think I recall something from the next-gen speculation thread about MS patent applications around force-feedback triggers. So I think there's good hope devs may be able to spend time on this with the justification that multiple platforms can make use of it.

Racos

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the PS5 will have a blue theme like the PS4, or will it have a different color.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm surprised no one has made a thread revolving solely around that Schreier tweet yet. It flies right in the face of that article from a week back about how disorganised Sony were with the PS5 and third-party studios.
more proof that article was tales from someone's ass regarding that 3rd party devs are scared bit. as soon as i read that i was like "nah"

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Getting some of the basics and core gamer-facing tidbits out there this way is smart. Builds buzz and captures the news cycle ahead of the more in-depth blowout(s) next year while costing them nothing.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed that they're not offering asymmetrical sticks on the DS5 (or the option to change it as you please). My biggest complaint about the controller by far. Its fine in games you don't have to aim in, but that's the majority these days.

Iceman83

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
20191008_091728.jpg

Confirmed hardware accelerated Raytracing is nice

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picking and choosing which part of a game to install is pretty new. Wonder how much smaller RDR2 would be without multiplayer touching my drive.

New for Sony, but Microsoft has been working on that for a couple years now, and some games already allow it. With the game sizes skyrocketing I always assumed Sony would bring that next-gen as well.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Most of the games I've gotten haven't made inside artwork a priority. It's mostly the warning labels that go in there now. Oh how I long for the days of an actual manual.

Sony does inside artwork and some other developers do too. But not many.

With black cases Sony wouldn't be able to do it anymore. Unless the cases are slightly transparent.

I'm with you on the manuals. Would love for those to return.

This is the way it used to be - old school. Back when you used to get an info-dump on new hardware in magazines, it was the coolest thing. To be honest, I'm kind of impressed that they're going this route rather than some fancy conference.

Conference is still happening.

Like the old school magazine feel too though.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
You understand they're backwards compatible right ? You can be certain the recent games will also come with dedicated ps5 patches like the ps4pro did.

I know that. I'm not talking about PS5 or Scalett's backward compatibility with ZoS4/XBO games.
I mean, just like there will be PS5/Scarlett versions of Cyberpunk 2077 and other games. I don't believe every single developer will just do free upgrade patches for every game. Some will do separate SKUs like usual in a cross-gen period of 2-3 years into the life of a new generation.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Reminds me of the question what MS will name their next console.
Xbox Infinity is too long
Xbox Neo maybe, now they also announced the Surface Neo?

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
And still no mention of what kind of SSD they're using. I'm not talking about the size here, but the actual standard. Is it NVMe?

A SATA SSD is nothing revolutionary, and the way they're talking about the PS5 makes it sound like it'll be using at least PCIe 4.0.

If so, can we even realistically expect a 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD inside a $500 box? With game installs occupying 100GB each, 512GB isn't gonna cut it. So many questions.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're living in fantasy land if you think PS5 will have a 1TB SSD with a 2070 Super equivalent for $499.

The 7850 was less than $200 when it launched in 2012. It was a cheapo GPU.
True, but remember, we were coming off of the 2008 financial crash and we were still in a recession, PS3 lost Sony a ton of money throughout the preceding decade, and people were very unsure about whether there was going to continue to be a console industry at all. The Wii was also the leading console of the gen and was positioned as a budget device. So Sony was probably threading the needle very tightly to get costs down.

Things are a lot different today and Sony is in a much different position coming off the PS4 and then testing the waters with the PS4 Pro. There's a chance they'll future-proof the system from a specs perspective a bit more this time around than what the PS4 offered for its day. I'm not seaying they will include a $500-equivalent GPU or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went with something higher than $200-equivalent range they went with last launch.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
True haptic controller?? Best news! I hope Sony finally fully embraces their history and offers full bc from every previous Playstation

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope revamped UI doesn't mean they are going to build something from scratch and then develop it over time.

It was kind of awful having to waiting months and in some cases years for a bunch of standard quality of life issues to be patched into the OS.

Also not sure I'd trade haptic feedback for having to buy new controllers. Hopefully the controllers are backwards compatible

nss

Apr 10, 2018
"Either way, physical games for the PS5 will use 100GB optical disks, inserted into an optical drive that doubles as a 4K Bluray player."

Star Wars: Battlefront II is already 105GB (!), so seeing this norm from AAA games will be interesting.

my understanding is that many games currently employ data redundancy to help reduce load times. With an SSD I imagine the need for data redundancy to be mitigated, which should help to offset some of that.

Oct 25, 2017
Can I assume the switch to SSD and the addition of single-player/multiplayer install options will mean I don't need 180GB of free hard drive space to download a 50GB game?

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
New for Sony, but Microsoft has been working on that for a couple years now, and some games already allow it. With the game sizes skyrocketing I always assumed Sony would bring that next-gen as well.
Sony has been doing it for some of their games for a while. I think Killzone Shadowfall did it.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Disappointed that they're not offering asymmetrical sticks on the DS5 (or the option to change it as you please). My biggest complaint about the controller by far. Its fine in games you don't have to aim in, but that's the majority these days.
I don't think I have a preference between symmetrical vs asymmetrical sticks. Curious to see if I've ever noticed a difference in gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
sounds good so far. Keep the USB C train rolling too.
On a side note, this is making me rethink my plans to buy a 5700XT since obviously hardware ray trading is gonna be a thing for certain. Might have to spring for a 2070s to at least keep me somewhat up to date.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The installation and controller info is very intriguing. That with the load times are making me very excited for next gen.

Nowifenolife

Oct 28, 2017
Sand felt slow and sloggy; mud felt slow and soggy. On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding.

The thumbsticks have auto varying resistance? Surely I'm reading it wrong?

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
It makes perfect sense, 10 is higher then 5 and therefor superior in consumers eyes.

Please stop, just stop for your own good! :)

On topic, PS5 is locked and loaded and all the information in OP sounds great! Now all I need is full legacy BC and hope for a megaton drop at the reveal event. I want at the end of the reveal to say in his smooth voice "Oh one more thing, we have been listening and PS5 will have full BC with PS 1 to 4".