• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's interesting they got developers, including EA, to contribute comments to this article. Like a very swift/timely rebuttal to that rumour last week. I wonder if that was planned all along (I'm sure the article has been planned a while), or if they parachuted those dev bits in more recently.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Can't wait! The rumble sounds similar, but better than what's on the switch.

Maybe it's the same thing, and it will come down to developers actually using it.

And that doom and gloom was garbage. What a surprise!

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
While it is nice to get any info on next gen consoles, a serious question for the die hard Sony fans. I see some saying how cool it is to just drop additional info in a Wired article on a random Tuesday, but wouldn't fans actually enjoy or get more hyped if Sony had done some of this type of thing during a 25 year PlayStation anniversary event this fall? I am just saying regardless of PR techniques it doesn't seem that a big fan would prefer this approach.

This is all part of Sony's plan as that rumor suggested. That they're building PS5 hype until full announcement. We are still getting a full conference reveal.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Very interested to see what they do with the controller. The DS4 was probably the biggest downside of the PS4 for me. So I hope they don't just leave it as is.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the reveal of this thing, they should have Cerny have a 'one more thing' moment.

*The camera zooms in on his face* Cerny: ''Whisper quiet''.

That's the mic drop moment.

Ironically, dropping a mic causes a lot of noise.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
They just tweeted it out? Man, what happened to the romance? The ceremony? The pomp and circumstance? This just straight efficiency is much less fun.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
While it is nice to get any info on next gen consoles, a serious question for the die hard Sony fans. I see some saying how cool it is to just drop additional info in a Wired article on a random Tuesday, but wouldn't fans actually enjoy or get more hyped if Sony had done some of this type of thing during a 25 year PlayStation anniversary event this fall? I am just saying regardless of PR techniques it doesn't seem that a big fan would prefer this approach.
Na I'm fine with this. They'll do their big reveal next spring where they reveal the box and that'll be their big hype moment. Only thing I found odd is them not waiting until the holiday is over to announce the date.

Nykyrian_Q

Oct 27, 2017
So... I should cancel my Death Stranding PS4 Pro order? What have they said about backwards compatibility?

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
ooooooohhhh.... I just realised. I got my PS4 about when my son was born. He's 6 years old and the PS5 will be his first "Next Gen console.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be too hopeful... there's a technical challenge there on the PS3 side, and the business case they've made around PS4 BC doesn't seem to apply so readily to previous gen software.

Yeah the only thing keeping me hopeful for PS3 was that patent from a while back.

But I'm not super knowledgeable on the technical side of things, so I'm not sure how much more feasible that patent actually made it.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like they don't make it clear HOW the haptic feedback works. Is it just fancier rumble?

What's in the grips sounds like 'fancier rumble', but perhaps also feedback that can be transmitted specifically through or to the base of the thumbsticks to modify their 'feel'.

What's in the triggers sound more like actual force feedback, as far as I understand it - as in, with the triggers, the game can change the resistance of them. Speculating here, but that might also mean they can lock them at a certain point, or pull/push them in and out programmatically. So while you're pulling a trigger the game can be applying opposite pressure on it, for example. Either case, that's something more akin to actual haptics than to rumble.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I am imagining a group of 30 men in suits around a table workshopping a name and when it's 6 o clock saying "fuck it, lets get some pizzas and name it the PS5.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Sony announcing PS5 like;
120831045637-rnc-bts-clint-eastwood-00011029-story-top.jpg

Their strategy is so weird.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say prepare for it not to happen, because it likely won't.
I'd say it's an eventuality. You can already download PS4 and PS2 games from PS Now, and if they're serious about expanding the service I think it's only a matter of time before PSX and PS3 (when emulation is ready enough) gets added. PS Now has obvious holes (no PSX, PS3 is streaming-only) that should be filled.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
They just tweeted it out? Man, what happened to the romance? The ceremony? The pomp and circumstance? This just straight efficiency is much less fun.
This is to get out ahead of rumors. They'll still do a media blowout with hands on, this just saves them some money. It's smart and gets people excited for it. We have a full year left.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the only thing keeping me hopeful for PS3 was that patent from a while back.

But I'm not super knowledgeable on the technical side of things, so I'm not sure how much more feasible that patent actually made it.

Just look at the current PS3 emulation and imagine that with full PS3 documentation and PS5's beefy specs

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
None of this is suprising so probably best to just float it out there under the radar.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
God damn E3 gonna be bonkers

Are you feeling it mr krabs?

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this means a price drop for the PS4 Pro soon. No way i'm buying a PS5 within its first year.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
I think a $399 would not produce a console with a sufficient leap, there are diminishing returns in hardware power to graphics ratio.

I'm other words to get a decent next leap requires a bigger jump in hardware then in the past.
Yep. Also when you factor in inflation isn't a 399$ console in 2013 roughly the same as a 499$ console in 2020? I'm too lazy to check on that.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
guess we know who has good and who has shit sources now

And what does Schreier tweeting this negates anything said in the other thread?

Different sources, different devs. Sony doesn't treat all devs equal, see the cross-play situation.

But you know what, believe what you want. Arguing in this case seems pointless.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So with the resistant trigger they will be able to control how "difficult" it is to pull the trigger back basically? Or am I reading that incorrectly.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Day one. Force feedback on controller and demons souls remake. I don't care what others are doing day one. Can be 599 I don't care.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
And what does Schreier tweeting this negates anything said in the other thread?

Different sources, different devs. Sony doesn't treat all devs equal, see the cross-play situation.

But you know what, believe what you want. Arguing in this case seems pointless.

If Sony is able to provide proper support and tools on time to one third party dev, why wouldn't they be able to deliver the same to other third party devs?