• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Man I don't even know what the fuck Ray Tracing is. I've googled it before and I still don't get it lmao.

I won't understand how much of a leap next-gen is until I see a gameplay demo.

Look up videos of Control turning it on and off, it's pretty obvious. Basically emulates light and reflections super realistically, which makes everything look better.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Can't really win.

Save everything for one show it would be "What's with all this boring tech talk? Show us the games, console, price and date"

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds pretty good. I can't wait for more info on it.

My guess: November 13th or 20th, depending on if Sony is supersticious. :P

I'm hoping we see SW Battlefront 3 launch with this next year. Then we can see some real Rey tracing.

giphy.gif

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna remain hopeful that legacy BC (PS1-3) is something they're waiting for an official reveal event to confirm.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
While it is nice to get any info on next gen consoles, a serious question for the die hard Sony fans. I see some saying how cool it is to just drop additional info in a Wired article on a random Tuesday, but wouldn't fans actually enjoy or get more hyped if Sony had done some of this type of thing during a 25 year PlayStation anniversary event this fall? I am just saying regardless of PR techniques it doesn't seem that a big fan would prefer this approach.
The average consumer doesn't give a shit about a lot of these details. By doing this they give themselves more time to focus on games and service at their reveal event. This also keeps ps5 in the conversation without really showing your hand too much and save money as well.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Why should they do one big dump while they can trickle and have multiple newscycles about the new info throughout the year?
They did that for PS4 and it worked out for them. I am finding it weird they are releasing bit's of info on random day. Casual fan's won't be following site's for bit's of info while big conference would have gotten their attention.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the link. Also a big deal and large selling point for me honestly.

That makes two of us. I've watched videos and I have no fucking clue what it is and does unfortunately.

Fuck yeah...

It's like for example better, more realistic reflections in water and stuff from what I've seen (I don't know much about it either lmao)

Feb 10, 2018
It just seems weird to me that Sony would give away the price advantage that worked so well for them with the PS4. I guess we'll find the price out soon.

I think a $399 would not produce a console with a sufficient leap, there are diminishing returns in hardware power to graphics ratio.

I'm other words to get a decent next leap requires a bigger jump in hardware then in the past.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Shocking name. Controller sounds great and option to install only single player or multiplayer part of any game is very welcome.
We need info how BC will works.. is it bare bones or we can expect something like One X BC?

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
All that that info about in game stuff like missions, rewards and the like at the OS level just seems completely unnecessary, at least to me. Waste of resources and more work for devs.
Don't really see how. It's like a web link really. How hard can that possibly be for a developer to create a link to a specific level or mode in their game..? It's also what Google are talking about with Stadia, see a streamer playing an online game and literally hit a link and load up and join in with them. Immediacy is the key and developers are going to want to include that sort of functionality, especially the Fortnite style games where engagement is key.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I love the fact that Sony is releasing this info on twitter just like that. Man i love the way they are spreading the info. No need for a conference to confirm things. just simple tweets and it builds hype. Its as if Sony is the master of building hype man. this is crazy! Im so excited!!

And maybe when they actually reveal the thing we won't have to spend an hour on specifics.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If the PS5 is as small, quiet and pretty as the PS4 Slim very likely I will get one no early than Holidays 2021... unless if (the long dreamed) Demon's Souls remake was a launch title. I would bite just for that.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Too all the people moaning about it just being a article for an announcement, it was done this way because PS just sent out a batch of the new controllers to third party devs, so getting ahead of leaks I suppose.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
This is how you should reveal this stuff. Costs nothing, nerds will spread the word, then use all those millions you saved not having an event to buy ads close to launch.

Sony is so done with these big shows and the traditional way the industry has done things. It's less exciting, but the end result is likely better for them as a business.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Any word on backwards compatibility?

We know it's BC with PS4 software. There's nothing new added in the Wired article or blog post.

Gonna remain hopeful that legacy BC (PS1-3) is something they're waiting for an official reveal event to confirm.

I wouldn't be too hopeful... there's a technical challenge there on the PS3 side, and the business case they've made around PS4 BC doesn't seem to apply so readily to previous gen software.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017

I'd be totally cool with PS1/PS2/PS4 BC and then PS Now for PS3 if that's the only way.

That fricken Cell processor really bit Sony in the ass didn't it? Still feeling its effects.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice detail and this one is something I also thought about everytime someone mentions SSD not being much of a change which makes absolutely no sense knowing that games now have to design around the current limitations which is apparent in game design in a lot of areas.

It's going to change so many things

- almost no pop in or texture loading
- faster start up times on big open world games like GTA
- faster saving
- virtually no more loading screens in the majority of games
- no more delaying the player to load in the next area (think Last of Us and it's pallets, or slow door opening sequences)

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They did that for PS4 and it worked out for them. I am finding it weird they are releasing bit's of info on random day. Casual fan's won't be following site's for bit's of info while big conference would have gotten their attention.

It is already all over social media and every single gaming site is posting about it

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
It will make the PS5 easy to ignore in my opinion

I don't get why people want to start a new gen with a remaster

Don't you want as many new games and some new IP as is possible?
Do I want new IPs/new games on a launch console? Sure!

Should we expect a lot of new IPs/ new games on a launch console? Absolutely not. A remaster and a new game plus knowing what's on the pipeline is good enough for me to buy a new console.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Not really the 2070 Super is on par with with a 5700xt in non RT games,

So it would be a 9 - 10tflop console with 2070 Super level RT, its a great leap, but it's not unrealistic
People in the next thread are predicting 12 - 14 tflops and 2tb ssd.

499 with a 2070 Super-like GPU and 1tb SSD? You're dreaming
I expect 2060 Super/Vanilla and 500 GB, if that's the price