• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Well, this is interesting:

For those who don't understand: Halo Wars 2 shows an UNSC Fleet engaging a Banished Fleet in the proximity of Tantalus (3rd picture). Tantalus, is a planet (human colony) which is located in the same system (Epsilon Eridani) as Reach. This could possibly mean that Halo Wars 2 was foreshadowing this book.

Please let this mean Atriox comes to Infinite. The Banished is one of the best things story-wise to come out of 343.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting enough Halo 5's intro cinematic takes place in Castle Base aswell.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, I'm a little sad to see Bungie's superior art style called "Infinite-style".

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I'm a little sad to see Bungie's superior art style called "Infinite-style".

It's definitely not any Bungie style, of which there are arguably 2 if not 3 distinct "Bungie" styles anyway.

Takes a lot of cues from Reach, a lot of cues from Halo 3, but there's definitely some 343 Halo 4/Legends in there.

Ultimately it's not just a bunch of styles duct taped together though; all the ingredients + some new stuff makes it look fairly distinct from what we've seen so far, while also feeling familiar to Halo.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is interesting:

For those who don't understand: Halo Wars 2 shows an UNSC Fleet engaging a Banished Fleet in the proximity of Tantalus (3rd picture). Tantalus, is a planet (human colony) which is located in the same system (Epsilon Eridani) as Reach. This could possibly mean that Halo Wars 2 was foreshadowing this book.

The Banished being the Covenant force of Infinite is like my number 1 hope for the campaign.
It's definitely not any Bungie style, of which there are arguably 2 if not 3 distinct "Bungie" styles anyway.

Takes a lot of cues from Reach, a lot of cues from Halo 3, but there's definitely some 343 Halo 4/Legends in there.

Ultimately it's not just a bunch of styles duct taped together though; all the ingredients + some new stuff makes it look fairly distinct from what we've seen so far, while also feeling familiar to Halo.
Yeah, it has a bit of everything in it but looks distinct. I would describe it as an amalgam artstyle, but a really well done one. Hopefully there is more cohesion with artstyle between games and other stuff going forward now that we have this style.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Banished being the Covenant force of Infinite is like my number 1 hope for the campaign.

Yeah, it has a bit of everything in it but looks distinct. I would describe it as an amalgam artstyle, but a really well done one. Hopefully there is more cohesion with artstyle between games and other stuff going forward now that we have this style.

interestingly, the Grunt, Jackal, and Elite figures we've seen look very normal covenant. I expect/hope we get Brutes/Banished, but it seems they wouldn't be the only covenant style faction in the game

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
interestingly, the Grunt, Jackal, and Elite figures we've seen look very normal covenant. I expect/hope we get Brutes/Banished, but it seems they wouldn't be the only covenant style faction in the game
The Grunts and Elites in The Banished look pretty typical Covenant and we've not seen any Banished Jackals yet. Ultimately the Banished aesthetic is more for the Brutes, Brute weapons and vehicles.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Grunts and Elites in The Banished look pretty typical Covenant and we've not seen any Banished Jackals yet. Ultimately the Banished aesthetic is more for the Brutes, Brute weapons and vehicles.

I suppose you are somewhat right, I guess an FPS game Banished faction might not literally be all red. I know they use some older armor sets for the elites in Halo Wars 2, but I also thought they had somewhat of a unique look to them with some of their other armor.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose you are somewhat right, I guess an FPS game Banished faction might not literally be all red. I know they use some older armor sets for the elites in Halo Wars 2, but I also thought they had somewhat of a unique look to them with some of their other armor.
The Grunts were straight up the Reach ones, the Elites were an original design but they were still sleek, so I don't think they were supposed to fit with the Banished aesthetic.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about it, I don't think the alien faction on Reach is The Banished, the Seraphs on the cover look like Reach Seraphs, while all Banished vehicles up to the size of a Scarab have a different design than the old Covenant. The Banished could still be the Covenant force in Infinite, but I don't think they are in this book.
However it being a different faction in this book makes me think that this will serve as an introduction to the Covenant faction that is in Infinite, which would mean no Banished in the game. If there are no Banished in Infinite I hope that whatever the Covenant faction is they have Brutes and the Brute sandbox. I need my Brute Shot, Spiker and Chopper!

It would be a shame for them to introduce a different Covenant faction in Infinite after they made such an effort to make a big deal out of The Banished, especially since The Banished were pretty well received.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Infinite Style indeed.

My guess is that this will wrap up a lot of loose ends so the next game can start off a fresh as possible. That makes me worry about Blue Team's fate though. Fingers crossed that they will still be around.
LIke, I think would be playing Halo 5 right now whenever it gets to PC if it was all about Blue Team.

Actually, will Blue Team be in Infinite?

And watch Blue team not even be mentioned in Infinite.
:(

c043y

Oct 25, 2017
I've read Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike and The Ghosts of Onyx (and Contact Harvest) - does anyone know which other books in the series I would need to read to be caught up for the story in this one?

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's been awhile since I've dabbled with any Halo books. I read a good chunk of the early lot but can barely remember them at this point.

If I wanted to pick up a few, maybe a trilogy - at least to start with - what am I best going for before this and Infinite?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So has anyone read this yet? I've been wanting to get into the Halo novels, and while I do still plan to go back and read stuff like The Fall of Reach, I was wondering if this might be a decent jumping-on point as something that's more related to the current events of the games, or if it relies too much on previous novels. I know the marketing said that it's meant to be accessible to first-timers, but... well, you know how marketing can be. (Not that I'm a first-timer to Halo; I've played all the main games, just haven't given the extended universe much of a shot yet)

Oct 27, 2017
This showed up on my doorstep on Thursday, plan on diving in soonish although with Infinite delayed the urge isn't quite the same to do so. Just feels like pouring salt in the wound similar to all these Halo marketing commercials, etc for Xbox Series X.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So has anyone read this yet? I've been wanting to get into the Halo novels, and while I do still plan to go back and read stuff like The Fall of Reach, I was wondering if this might be a decent jumping-on point as something that's more related to the current events of the games, or if it relies too much on previous novels. I know the marketing said that it's meant to be accessible to first-timers, but... well, you know how marketing can be. (Not that I'm a first-timer to Halo; I've played all the games, just haven't given the extended universe much of a shot yet)

I actually finished reading it last night. It was quite good!

As for first timers..?

Ehhhhh. It does explain quite a few things again but I feel like it also assumes you've read and played up to Halo Wars 2.

And if you've never read one of the books, how Chief talks in the book is going to be an incredibly large whiplash. Chief talks more in the first few chapters than almost all of Halo 1 - 5. Which if you've read the previous books then that isn't shocking since he's always been more talkative. Not like different personality, just not silent.

There's also quite a few call backs to Troy Dennings other books, Last Light, Renegades, Silent Storm, and Oblivion.

Last edited:

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Yeah, you'll have to adjust to the fact that book Chief is an actual person who says stuff, lol.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
So has anyone read this yet? I've been wanting to get into the Halo novels, and while I do still plan to go back and read stuff like The Fall of Reach, I was wondering if this might be a decent jumping-on point as something that's more related to the current events of the games, or if it relies too much on previous novels. I know the marketing said that it's meant to be accessible to first-timers, but... well, you know how marketing can be. (Not that I'm a first-timer to Halo; I've played all the main games, just haven't given the extended universe much of a shot yet)

It's somewhat accessible, but honestly, I'd definitely at least read the Fall of Reach, because it introduces Blue Team and the origins of their relationship.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I actually finished reading it last night. It was quite good!

As for first timers..?

Ehhhhh. It does explain quite a few things again but I feel like it also assumes you've read and played up to Halo Wars 2.

And if you've never read one of the books, how Chief talks in the book is going to be an incredibly large whiplash. Chief talks more in the first few chapters than almost all of Halo 1 - 5. Which if you've read the previous books then that isn't shocking since he's always been more talkative. Not like different personality, just not silent.

There's also quite a few call backs to Troy Dennings other books, Last Light, Renegades, Silent Storm, and Oblivion.
It's somewhat accessible, but honestly, I'd definitely at least read the Fall of Reach, because it introduces Blue Team and the origins of their relationship.
Thanks y'all. I'll go ahead and read The Fall of Reach first.