• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
www.halowaypoint.com

Shadows of the Former

<p>ISSUE 107 *wipes dust off* So uh, hey there! I feel like it’s been a little bit, no? If you’re new to these features, Canon Fodder is a long-standing look into lore-related elements of the Halo universe. Our last issue took a deep dive into the narrative elements of last summer’s Outpost...

Our prime piece of real estate today is to announce the next adventure in Halo's deep and enriching extended universe – Halo: Shadows of Reach. Penned by Troy Denning, Shadows takes place after the events of Halo 5: Guardians. For a bit more information, let's take a gander at the official description:

October 2559. It has been a year since the renegade artificial intelligence Cortana issued a galaxy-wide ultimatum, subjecting many worlds to martial law under the indomitable grip of her Forerunner weapons. Outside her view, the members of Blue Team—John-117, the Master Chief; Fred-104; Kelly-087; and Linda-058—are assigned from the UNSC Infinity to make a covert insertion onto the ravaged planet Reach.

Their former home and training ground—and the site of humanity's most cataclysmic military defeat near the end of the Covenant War—Reach still hides myriad secrets after all these years. Blue Team's mission is to penetrate the rubble-filled depths of CASTLE Base and recover top-secret assets locked away in Dr. Catherine Halsey's abandoned laboratory—assets which may prove to be humanity's last hope against Cortana.

But Reach has been invaded by a powerful and ruthless alien faction, who have their own reasons for being there. Establishing themselves as a vicious occupying force on the devastated planet, this enemy will soon transform Blue Team's simple retrieval operation into a full-blown crisis. And with the fate of the galaxy hanging in the balance, mission failure is not an option….

Yes please.

Of course, a return to Reach wouldn't be complete without a ridiculously cool cover to adorn the adventure, and once more, talented artist Chris McGrath has delivered the goods. It's honestly one of my absolute favorite Halo book covers, I must say. Make sure you click for the full wrap!

cf_halo_shadows_of_reach_front_cvr-10f4442c637148308220feb8eb04248d.jpg

Blue Team is looking real good.

Oct 26, 2017
cf_halo_shadows_of_reach_cvr-186e6d8fe7964aec80db0d847e906c5f.jpg

Full wrap, and also it's interesting how they don't refer to the "powerful and ruthless alien faction" as the Covenant

Also, Fred, Kelly, and Linda have only gotten helmet redesigns while their base armor is identical to Chief's (except for Linda's shoulder and Fred's back) as well as Linda and Kelly having their Halo 5 signature weapons not remodeled at all like the Assault Rifle. Not sure what that implies for Infinite

Last edited:

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
They look pretty good. Also the first look at the shotgun/sniper designs for Infinite? Not sure if that's a covenant dropship in the background.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Infinite Style indeed.

My guess is that this will wrap up a lot of loose ends so the next game can start off a fresh as possible. That makes me worry about Blue Team's fate though. Fingers crossed that they will still be around.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I just started reading the Halo books this year to prep for Infinite. I just finished First Strike(the 3rd book in release order), and enjoying them all so far. So hopefully I'll be up to this book by the time it comes out. The expanded universe for Halo is a lot more intriguing than I thought it would be.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Also, Fred, Kelly, and Linda have only gotten helmet redesigns while their base armor is identical to Chief's (except for Linda's shoulder and Fred's back) as well as Linda and Kelly having their Halo 5 signature weapons not remodeled at all like the Assault Rifle. Not sure what that implies for Infinite

While it's just art so it could mean anything- I wouldn't be shocked if Halo Infinite see's a mix of old and new designs.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
God I'm so happy they went back to the OG Halo artstyle with Infinite (at least for Chief). 4/5 everything looked so indistinguishable and like generic power rangers boys.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I just started reading the Halo books this year to prep for Infinite. I just finished First Strike(the 3rd book in release order), and enjoying them all so far. So hopefully I'll be up to this book by the time it comes out. The expanded universe for Halo is a lot more intriguing than I thought it would be.
The first book in the forerunner trilogy was really interesting, second was complete garbage, and the third was good.
Fall of Reach is pretty great, and The Flood was terrible. Haven't read any of the others. Maybe I should read this new one...

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Halo's EU is quite interesting. Really enjoyed the first set before 343 took over and have enjoyed some of the books since then actually. The Greg Bear Forerunner trilogy is outstanding. Ghost of Onyx is the one I enjoyed the most though.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh, EXCITE. Set after Reach, Blue Team starring, written by Troy Denning. Can't wait.

Gotta be the Banished that have taken Reach.

They look pretty good. Also the first look at the shotgun/sniper designs for Infinite? Not sure if that's a covenant dropship in the background.

It's the Nornfang and Oathsworn from 5.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
The first book in the forerunner trilogy was really interesting, second was complete garbage, and the third was good.
Fall of Reach is pretty great, and The Flood was terrible. Haven't read any of the others. Maybe I should read this new one...
If you like Fall of Reach then you should give Ghost of Onyx a read, you will enjoy it.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No Nylund ;_;

I don't think I've enjoyed any other Halo book like I did the Nylund ones.

I'll still probably give it a try via Kindle sample, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
If you like Fall of Reach then you should give Ghost of Onyx a read, you will enjoy it.
First Strike is great too!
Maybe it's the Banished?
Are those the guys from Halo Wars 2? I should probably play that.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Have they given the story reason for reverting back to the gen 1 style of armors?

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
That would make sense to help further tie Wars 2 to other stuff.

Yeah, they have to bring Atriox and the Banished back in somewhere, they were too well received to just leave dangling.

No Nylund ;_;

I don't think I've enjoyed any other Halo book like I did the Nylund ones.

I'll still probably give it a try via Kindle sample, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Have you read any of Denning's stuff? Definitely worth a read for a fan of Nylund's stuff if not. Last Light picks up some of the threads of Nylund's trilogy.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I really need to read The Fall of Reach one day.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell yes. Can't wait! Troy Denning has done a really great job with his recent Fall of Reach-era books (Silent Storm and Oblivion, which just came out late last year), so I can't wait to read this!

The Halo books are possibly my favorite series of novels connected to a game universe, there's so much good stuff.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I just seriously hope that they don't kill of Blue team or anything before Halo Infinite. I want Blue Team in Infinite as well, but that's beside the point.

Also, wasn't Cortana "born" on Reach? Maybe this group is defending something that may destroy her, and Blue Team is trying to get something that can help destroy her as well? I don't know though, I am not as big of a Halo guy as I was a few years ago

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Have they given the story reason for reverting back to the gen 1 style of armors?

Just like how they justified chiefs armor in 4 as: "Nano machines, son." They'll likely say something like: "For Gen 3 MJOLNIR we decided to go back to an old school style, give people that hope they saw when a Spartan rushed in to save them from the Covenant" or something.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's the Banished?
It's a possibility, but I'm not sure why they'd be on Reach or working with Cortana. Most likely the Covenant has reformed under Cortana and the AI.
Best theory people have come up with is that the UNSC reverted to earlier designs that were not as compatible with advanced AI since they may be able to compromise the Gen 2 armor. Same goes for all the other tech.

Last edited:

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just like how they justified chiefs armor in 4 as: "Nano machines, son." They'll likely say something like: "For Gen 3 MJOLNIR we decided to go back to an old school style, give people that hope they saw when a Spartan rushed in to save them from the Covenant" or something.
I truly hope not. The handwaving away of Chief's armor change irked me. It's not a huge deal but it seems like lazy writing.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Christ those designs are a lot better than whatever H4/5 was. But yeah.. Cortana still being a villain... just reboot this shit already.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like how our preview of Halo 5's art design has been solely from other media outside of games.

That said, it looks good. Halo is back to looking like Halo.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
It's a possibility, but I'm not sure why they'd be on Reach or working with Cortana. Most likely the Covenant has reformed under Cortana and the AI.

Best theory people have come up with is that the UNSC reverted to earlier designs that were not as comparable with advanced AI since they may be able to compromise the Gen 2 armor. Same goes for all the other tech.

The synopsis doesn't say they're working with Cortana, though. Could just be using a depopulated planet as a base, or scavenging.

They're really sticking with Cortana being the biggest bad guy of them all huh? 😑

I highly doubt this will be the case.

I like how our preview of Halo 5's art design has been solely from other media outside of games.

That said, it looks good. Halo is back to looking like Halo.

You mean 6 :P

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Best theory people have come up with is that the UNSC reverted to earlier designs that were not as comparable with advanced AI since they may be able to compromise the Gen 2 armor. Same goes for all the other tech.
That's what I keep thinking about too. It's a quick, easy reason to have done so.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
While it's just art so it could mean anything- I wouldn't be shocked if Halo Infinite see's a mix of old and new designs.

The AR is not redesigned. It's a new model. It is based on the MA37 from reach. I assume that since the UNSC essentially got taken over by AI, you have to make do with whatever you can scrounge. A good excuse for bringing back old classic weapons that people liked like the SPNKR while keeping the new designs people preferred like the shotgun.

Oct 26, 2017
The synopsis doesn't say they're working with Cortana, though. Could just be using a depopulated planet as a base, or scavenging.
I was speculating, if CASTLE base holds any technology that could be damaging (or even useful) to Cortana, then she would need ground troops to secure it. Also, I think she's already on record beginning to make alliances with some races within the Covenant.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
No one on the cover is sprinting. There's hope yet my friends.

Also #TeamDontBotherExplainingArtStyleChanges

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
cf_halo_shadows_of_reach_cvr-186e6d8fe7964aec80db0d847e906c5f.jpg

Full wrap, and also it's interesting how they don't refer to the "powerful and ruthless alien faction" as the Covenant

Doesn't imply much. They probably just used chiefs infinite body as an art reference.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I was speculating, if CASTLE base holds any technology that could be damaging (or even useful) to Cortana, then she would need ground troops to secure it. Also, I think she's already on record beginning to make alliances with some races within the Covenant.

Well the unggoy willingly joined her. Prepare your butts for tons of Goblins in Infinite.

I foresee there being something of a three-way fight on Reach; Blue Team dispatched to search CASTLE base, find the Banished, Cortana becomes aware and sends armigers/a guardian. Something along those lines.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Oh hell yes. Can't wait! Troy Denning has done a really great job with his recent Fall of Reach-era books (Silent Storm and Oblivion, which just came out late last year), so I can't wait to read this!

The Halo books are possibly my favorite series of novels connected to a game universe, there's so much good stuff.
So his style is similar to Nylund?