• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I'll give it a try :).
It's worth it. This was me trying it for the first time:

As with all PSVR stuff, the YouTube vid obviously doesn't convey the full field of view or the 3D aspect (which is a huge part of the experience), but it gives you a rough idea.

Like GTS, it just feels like a regular game making proper use of the PSVR to enhance the existing experience, rather than feeling like a glorified proof of concept or tech demo. It's great. Unfortunately, like GTS it also just makes you wish that there was more VR content within the game, rather than just feeling like a tease.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Just gimme proper engine sounds, VR, and let me convert road into race cars.
Even with "just" 300-400 cars, that's all I wish for.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As someone who started on GT5 and loves Sport, I would like to know what's so special about the earlier releases like GT2.

How different was it from GT5?

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bring back card dealerships with their own music.

yes!

this was my favourite :)

Whilst I have loved pretty much every GT there is something about GT3, in the atmosphere of it, with the sunsets and how the light was used in that game and the colour that set it apart?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I love that they put VR in first place.
VR is a total gamechanger for sim racing. Nothing not even 3 monitor setup come even close to driving in VR. No way im gonna buy racing game that doesnt support VR.
Not only for Sim racing. Wipeout in VR is stellar. I hope we get more full VR support for games next Gen and PSVR2.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who started on GT5 and loves Sport, I would like to know what's so special about the earlier releases like GT2.

How different was it from GT5?

IIRC when it went from GT3 to GT4 they made most of the changes.
I don't remember exactly but everything just felt different, the presentation, menus, the way you upgraded your cars, totally different tracks (I think only Laguna Seca was a real life circuit in GT3, not sure there were any in GT1&2).

GT4 was like a reboot.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is GT4 was amazing as well, especially for those more interested in the motorsport aspect. GT3 was always more open for the less "hardcore" as much as I hate that term.

I think it can be tough to go back to that though, not because of anything to do with games but more about how people feel about cars. People don't care about cars now the same way they did then, younger people especially are far less interested. Also, cars are far less cool nowadays :P

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Fantastic news. Especially hyped that they are taking VR seriously for next-gen.

Can't wait for their next-gen reveal.

OP
OP
SolidSnakex

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
i need deep forest and laguna seca in my life

They're working on Deep Forest for GTS

Thankfully, Yamauchi confirms that it wasn't a conscious uncoupling. "There was no particular reason for it," he explains. "We are already working on Deep Forest; we actually have the data for Deep Forest that runs on Gran Turismo Sport but it does have some problems."

He adds: "The problem that we had with some of the older tracks from previous Gran Turismo games was the scale being off in certain places. The size of the trees are very large, or the width of the curbstones, etc. There were curbstones that were wider than cars!

"If we want to bring that into the quality of GT Sport now, there is a lot that we have to redesign, and it is not that easy."

www.gtplanet.net

Why Trial Mountain, Grand Valley, and Deep Forest Aren't in GT Sport (Yet)

If you spend some time looking around GTPlanet's GT Sport forums, it won't take long until you find a complaint about the track list. It's usually about what's not on it rather than what is. Every main Gran Turismo game to date has featured three core fictional circuits: Deep Forest; Grand Valley

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
The thing is GT4 was amazing as well, especially for those more interested in the motorsport aspect. GT3 was always more open for the less "hardcore" as much as I hate that term.

I think it can be tough to go back to that though, not because of anything to do with games but more about how people feel about cars. People don't care about cars now the same way they did then, younger people especially are far less interested. Also, cars are far less cool nowadays :P
This is true. My father for example told me when Lancia released the Delta Integrale HF Evoluzione... Everyone wanted that car.

Today is just not the same.

maxresdefault.jpg

The Queen.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After spending years waiting for the first PS3 GT, and then years waiting for a much more grounded, focused PS4 GT, I'm actually kinda bummed that this development studio (that's been known to take their time) talk about a game with more scope again with a a new console on the horizon.

Please, whatever you do, release GTSport on PS5 as a remaster with the ability to use VR in all online racing and modes, and the continue to update it as you have been.

Once we get that to tide us over, sure, go ahead with the pie in the sky masterpiece that will get delayed over and over until we half way to PS6, but don't leave us with PS4 GT sport in the meantime.

Jan 10, 2018
Without good AI and a balanced difficulty a campaign mode is just a lengthy time trial where you cruise around and listen to the soundtrack. I really, really hope that they make an effort to give us actual racing in the offline mode. Otherwise it will be a slog to go through, just like before.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty big disadvantage.

But when you're getting started out, you'll be matched against other new players so your biggest concern will be having a clean race.

Yeah, I just have no idea how to drive manual, especially with a controller.. and it's kind of tough for me to want to learn how. I'd prefer driving with a wheel if I had to do manual. I want to get online but I also don't want to deal with so many good racers that are destroying me with their manual.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
I certainly hope it's online modes are not limited to Sport mode. While I loved GTS and appreciated what they accomplished with Sport mode, it leaves out many players who just want some quick casual racing fun (not via user lobbies).

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Without good AI and a balanced difficulty a campaign mode is just a lengthy time trial where you cruise around and listen to the soundtrack. I really, really hope that they make an effort to give us actual racing in the offline mode. Otherwise it will be a slog to go through, just like before.
Amen, brother!

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Will be weird to see Aloy in a Ferrari

I laughed.

Yeah, I just have no idea how to drive manual, especially with a controller.. and it's kind of tough for me to want to learn how. I'd prefer driving with a wheel if I had to do manual. I want to get online but I also don't want to deal with so many good racers that are destroying me with their manual.

The better players have wheel setups, it's just much easier to hold a sweeping turn with a wheel. Super GT did a video on it where he shows that using a controller ends up greatly increasing your tire wear.

That being said, the motion control option for the DS4 works decently. I recommend that you at least give it a try over using thumbsticks for steering.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Any interpretations on what Past, Present, and future actually means? Like what kind of combination is this? I understand present line, considering VR and Online, but what about past? Future i think more customization could be used

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
For over 20 years now i have been confusing Gran Turismo with Grand Theft Auto. I was just thinking how neat it would be to get 3 different versions in time of one city.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I laughed.

The better players have wheel setups, it's just much easier to hold a sweeping turn with a wheel. Super GT did a video on it where he shows that using a controller ends up greatly increasing your tire wear.

That being said, the motion control option for the DS4 works decently. I recommend that you at least give it a try over using thumbsticks for steering.

I'll give that a try! Thanks!

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
The last 2 generations have been shit due to the lack of a proper CARRPG being offered by anyone.

I might dust off my ole PS2 and GT4 now.

Nov 7, 2017
Try it, i just started learning manual on a controller and it makes racing 100x more fun. Im using the gear shifter on the right stick. It will only take a few days to get the hang of it

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The thing I want the most in the next GT is a return to real time passage of day and dynamic weather. Having fixed TOD in GTS was a huge step back.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
After spending years waiting for the first PS3 GT, and then years waiting for a much more grounded, focused PS4 GT, I'm actually kinda bummed that this development studio (that's been known to take their time) talk about a game with more scope again with a a new console on the horizon.

Please, whatever you do, release GTSport on PS5 as a remaster with the ability to use VR in all online racing and modes, and the continue to update it as you have been.

Once we get that to tide us over, sure, go ahead with the pie in the sky masterpiece that will get delayed over and over until we half way to PS6, but don't leave us with PS4 GT sport in the meantime.
People exaggerate their development times. Between GT4 and 5 was 6 years, sure, but in between they had Tourist Trophy, GT PSP, GT HD(this was their original vision for GT PS3 until it changed), and GT5 Prologue. GT6 was only three years after and GTS was to be three years until it got delayed. So a new GT next year or first year of PS5 puts it in line with their typical release schedule.

All the cars now are being made to be used next gen anyway so no completely starting over.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017

The long wait for GTSport was because Sony stupidly decided to create GT6 for PS3, releasing it a month after the PS4 had already come out. Should have been obvious to us transitioning their engine and development workflow from PS3 architecture to PS4 was going to take some time. PS5 will be backward compatible with GTSport anyway, no need for them to waste time on a remaster, and Polyphony already working on the next Gran Turismo for PS5 means they already have a notable head start compared to what happened with GTSport being in development only after the PS4 released.

The thing I want the most in the next GT is a return to real time passage of day and dynamic weather. Having fixed TOD in GTS was a huge step back.

Yeah, dynamic transitions need to make a return next-gen. I suspect VR forced them to go back to static conditions for PS4. Driveclub VR required Evo rewriting their lighting to a forward renderer, remove dynamic lighting and rain. Polyphony having to create different renderers for GTS at launch would have caused even more delays.

MortosDer

Oct 27, 2017
How smoked will I get if I am driving in automatic?

Depends on if the Track/car combination suits you. Managed a top 10 qualifying time for the Americas on a Saturday in the RedBull Junior a couple of weeks ago. And I drive full automatic. Also farmed my way to A+ DR spamming Autopolis with the Super Formula cars a month or so ago.
Point being, you can be fairly competitive even on automatic.

EDIT:
Also, if you don't have a wheel PLEASE try the motion control steering in the DS4.
I tried them and never went back. I refuse to play simcades using the analog sticks, which kinda sucks because I own a couple of them on pc. But I just can't do it. That's how good tilt controls felt to me. One day I'll get a wheel, but they're kinda expensive where I live, sooo.

Last edited:

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
People exaggerate their development times. Between GT4 and 5 was 6 years, sure, but in between they had Tourist Trophy, GT PSP, GT HD(this was their original vision for GT PS3 until it changed), and GT5 Prologue. GT6 was only three years after and GTS was to be three years until it got delayed. So a new GT next year or first year of PS5 puts it in line with their typical release schedule.

All the cars now are being made to be used next gen anyway so no completely starting over.
I actually doubt this, I think they're likely going to continue to build the models at the caliber they have, and start working on legacy cars, a robust campaign mode, and expanding Sport Mode.

I think their next entry will actually be closer to GT4 in terms of content and focus (history).

HEHEHEHE where did i hear this before ?
R-RIGHT
The car list has already been "solved" already in Sport. And it is quite possible that the GT7 already has all the cars of the Sport, since they confirmed that the cars are now modeled in a much larger resolution and receive a "downgrade" to run on PS4.
HEHEHE

""The level of precision we've achieved [in GT5] is actually more suited to the next generation of machines. The detail that goes into a premium model [has] gone beyond the level of the current PlayStation." "

Lmao dont believe any of this.

Let me tell you this. Kazunori Yamauchi is never satisfied with current work. When PS5 arrives he wont again like cars they made and start all over. Supposedly GT5 and GT6 cars were future proof and they said premium cars will translate to PS4 but that shit never happened and they created all cars from scratch again.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, dynamic transitions need to make a return next-gen. I suspect VR forced them to go back to static conditions for PS4. Driveclub VR required Evo rewriting their lighting to a forward renderer, remove dynamic lighting and rain. Polyphony having to create different renderers for GTS at launch would have caused even more delays.

Hopefully it was not just a decision they made because of online races. They absolutely need to come back to full dynamic and this time for all tracks.

""The level of precision we've achieved [in GT5] is actually more suited to the next generation of machines. The detail that goes into a premium model [has] gone beyond the level of the current PlayStation." "

Lmao dont believe any of this.

Let me tell you this. Kazunori Yamauchi is never satisfied with current work. When PS5 arrives he wont again like cars they made and start all over. Supposedly GT5 and GT6 cars were future proof and they said premium cars will translate to PS4 but that shit never happened and they created all cars from scratch again.

Except they didn't build all cars from scratch for GTS. The premium cars from GT6 only received an additional layer of detail in GTS.

Nov 8, 2017
Proper VR support is the only thing that really matters to me. I'm ideally positioned for this; I have my PlaySeat + T300 + PSVR just sitting here waiting for something other than DriveClub VR and Dirt Rally to come along, and yet I never actually bought GTSport due to the low effort on VR support.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Proper VR support is the only thing that really matters to me. I'm ideally positioned for this; I have my PlaySeat + T300 + PSVR just sitting here waiting for something other than DriveClub VR and Dirt Rally to come along, and yet I never actually bought GTSport due to the low effort on VR support.

I wouldn't call it low effort. You have to understand that the limitations of the PS4 are pretty real, and I think they made an honest effort. By many accounts above, and my own experience, the VR experience in GTS is actually pretty awesome -- so much so that people only want more of it.

There's an episode in the new X-Files where one of the Lone Gunmen who now lives in a computer simulated world describes his existence, and he expresses something along the lines of "Everything looks real, but I can't feel the sunlight."

Well, I was using GTS with VR, in some regular car (not a sports car) on a track with hills and dips (I think Sardegna), and I can attest that I actually could feel the sunlight. There's something about the lighting that makes it feel really good. And once you've driven a few laps in the game with the car in VR, you will be pining for a complete game. So it's not half-hearted, but I would say "full-hearted, but there are tech limitations".

Both Driveclub and Dirt Rally made an effort with VR, but I feel with GTS, what you get is an experience that somehow makes the "simulation" feel quite credible. And I want more.

What I'm saying is, don't hold out on GTS VR just because you have some preconception that it is "incomplete".

Last edited: