• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy_KiD_169

Jun 21, 2018
So far we can all agree that MS is running the show with way more info...

I stopped trying to guess Sony strategy but I'm starting to think that there are internal problems (sdk, supplies, weakish gpu)
you can also conclude that Microsoft are making sure to get some positive PR before the more powerful ps5 gets announced. At the end of the day the conclusion people are coming up with depends on their bias towards their favorite console.
The only real logical conclusion you can come with is that Sony is just keeping their current schedule, and not adjusting it according to what Microsoft is doing.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
So does anyone feel like that Kojima tweet points to anything next week? Or is it grasping at straws again

Masyer89

Dec 9, 2019
User Banned (3 days): trolling and platform warring
you can also conclude that Microsoft are making sure to get some positive PR before the more powerful ps5 gets announced. At the end of the day the conclusion people are coming up with depends on their bias towards their favorite console.
The only real logical conclusion you can come with is that Sony is just keeping their current schedule, and not adjusting it according to what Microsoft is doing.
Dont be delusional the ps5 will not be more powerful I dont even know how you could think this when they wanted another $300 box to transition customers to quickly and with xbox one x showing Microsoft was fine with 500 from beginning of build maybe more

Joo

May 25, 2018
This was the biggest goal post moving I have ever seen. Goal post move of the year so far.

Well I think it's a fair point as we still really haven't seen any next-gen gameplay. There's no way to spin it or definitely know how hellblade 2 looks and plays for example. I'm not saying it can't look like the trailer, but we've seen this "in engine" stuff many times before and it usually isn't representative of the final product.

If MS were to show gameplay demos of all those games you mentioned in your previous post, wouldn't it make a big difference? You're talking like it wouldn't and I just don't understand why.

Crazy_KiD_169

Jun 21, 2018
Dont be delusional the ps5 will not be more powerful I dont even know how you could think this when they wanted another $300 box to transition customers to quickly and with xbox one x showing Microsoft was fine with 500 from beginning of build maybe more
you just proved my point you truly have a bias for Xbox. I didn't say the ps5 will be more powerful or the Xbox weaker. I was giving an example of what conclusion you can reach base on your bias. You seem so sure of yourself from very vague comments from Sony, but i'm the delusional one. Lol

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Well I think it's a fair point as we still really haven't seen any next-gen gameplay. There's no way to spin it or definitely know how hellblade 2 looks and plays for example. I'm not saying it can't look like the trailer, but we've seen this "in engine" stuff many times before and it usually isn't representative of the final product.

If MS were to show gameplay demos of all those games you mentioned in your previous post, wouldn't it make a big difference? You're talking like it wouldn't and I just don't understand why.

Isn't this what E3 is for?

I personally think their roll out has been great so far...get the Series X stuff out leading up to E3 and then show off all the games.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
I just think back to 13 and Sony revealing first and MS being quiet only for negative rumors to propagate then the reveal fiasco. Idk why Sony is quiet but if it's anything like 2013 and kind of 2016 be ready for a weaker console.

(this doesn't mean bad console)

Joo

May 25, 2018
Isn't this what E3 is for?

I personally think their roll out has been great so far...get the Series X stuff out leading up to E3 and then show off all the games.

Yeah. I definitely agree. My viewpoint was more on the fact that we don't know too much on next-gen games and how they will play.

MS has had a great roll out thus far and imo there's also nothing wrong with Sony not announcing anything yet. They can announce everything close to E3 and it absolutely won't have any negative impact compared to releasing the info now.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Yeah. I definitely agree. My viewpoint was more on the fact that we don't know too much on next-gen games and how they will play.

MS has had a great roll out thus far and imo there's also nothing wrong with Sony not announcing anything yet. They can announce everything close to E3 and it absolutely won't have any negative impact compared to releasing the info now.

Hey fair enough...I agree with what you're saying.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
Some Eras said MS shows spec and SONY lags behind. But it's not very different between them, because Sony also shows almost the same amount. The only specific value of XSX is "12", and nothing more. NO GPU clock/CU number, no RAM type, no CPU speed, no SSD detail at all. Besides, MS only admits XSX and no info about that so-called Lockhart.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Why would you change a working formula? Out of a very successful gen letting your direct competitor getting the spotlight.

Companies change working formulas all the time. Why did MS change what they did with the 360? The market is ruthless and every company wants to grow and do better, even if they were successful in the past, and sometimes the changes work and sometimes they don't.

Revealing things piecemeal is strange. They have never had a new console reveal where they talked system, and started sharing things about it in a staggered manner. The original Xbox, where was it revealed? It was GDC.

The 360 was revealed via MTV. The Xbox One via a dedicated event. That IIRC came after a private reveal to some reporters at Xbox campus.

Microsoft have always followed with games running on actual hardware later. What are they going to show at e3 if they blow their load today?

More games, Lockhart, price details, xCloud, next evolution of Game Pass, etc. I expect the initial event (before E3) to focus on new hardware/ecosystem features, show a couple games, and perhaps confirm Lockhart exists without giving details. That would leave a lot for E3.

PS4 Pro have actual hardware blocks from Vega architecture. Those blocks give the Pro those Vega features. How are Microsoft getting (leveraging) RDNA2 features on Series X APU ? Until we know that, as far as we know, their RDNA2 statement is just there for the PR and marketing.

Lyin' Phil, we call him.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I see we've made a lot of progress through 11 OT's.

WVtmCwE.gif

Well we can confirm the XSX is 12TF so that's one down.

Progress to me :D

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
MS isn't running anything. They are making all the noise because they have to. They are trying to clean up the mess this gem was.
By the time PS5 is revealed MS has already told most of what there is to tell.

We're still in February and people still say Sony is delaying things, is too late, etc. Incredible.
Console gaming enthusiast mindsets in general are really strange.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I don't even think that's a logical conclusion. I think that the only real logical conclusion we can surmise is we don't know what Sony is up to, they could be internally reacting to what MS are doing or they could not. We don't have any indication for what their plans are other than they are not showing anything right now*. They could show something tomorrow. My brother jokes around about Sony announcing something at the end of every hour but it's true. They can say something today.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Nothing really matters until:
- We know a lot about both consoles
- Both consoles are available for pre-order

All this noise is just people mostly showing their bias lol

I just want these consoles to be close in power.. and architecture. Best case scenario for devs and consumers.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Some Eras said MS shows spec and SONY lags behind. But it's not very different between them, because Sony also shows almost the same amount. The only specific value of XSX is "12", and nothing more. NO GPU clock/CU number, no RAM type, no CPU speed, no SSD detail at all. Besides, MS only admits XSX and no info about that so-called Lockhart.

MS has had multiple presentations, dieshots, console pics, specs.

Sony gave us a logo..

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
That's because to the outside world Lock hart doesn't exist or isn't suppose to. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only outward indication that they were working on multiple SKUs is when Phil said the word "consoles" on stage, everything else is rumors so you can't really say their are being stingy with info on lockhart when they haven't event said they are working on 2 consoles.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
So does anyone feel like that Kojima tweet points to anything next week? Or is it grasping at straws again

If there is one thing I have learned from years of being a Kojima fan, it's to never get excited when he or Kojima Productions teases anything, as it is usually something dumb like Doritos being in his game.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
More games, Lockhart, price details, xCloud, next evolution of Game Pass, etc. I expect the initial event (before E3) to focus on new hardware/ecosystem features, show a couple games, and perhaps confirm Lockhart exists without giving details. That would leave a lot for E3.

If Lockhart isn't a retail product this year (and I personally don't think it is), I don't think they acknowledge it's existence until E3 2021, for a release that fall.

Even confirming Lockhart's existence as a thing could adversely affect Series X sales, if people decide to wait for a lower priced option they now know is coming.

As a knock-on effect, this is also why I don't think the Series X costs more than $499 no matter what - because Microsoft won't want their only console SKU for an entire calendar year to be $599 or more.

groganos

Jan 12, 2018
Ohhhhiiiiyyyoooo
So I I spent about 20 minutes catching up on the thread and not gonna lie it went places so let's see umm I'm starting to think the ps5 and ps5 pro were made by super fanboys that had "sources" because I guess they're like worried that the ps5 could be weaker. It's not known at all but I'm guessing to some people these aren't well designed boxes to entertain but they are LIFE for some. Can you imagine being so invested in a box we use to play games on and watch Netflix that your whole life could be ruined if one box was stronger than the other?
Personally I think we all need to calm down and take a breath its getting way too bonkers with the silence from Sony and personally I think everyone is just pushing out random rumors to keep themselves happy in their box. The ps5 is gonna be dope, the series x is gonna be dope, the new nvidia ampere cards should be dope, and finally the switch is probably gonna have some dope stuff.
Edit: I said personally way too many times but just saying it's gonna be alright and both boxes will be solid.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
So I I spent about 20 minutes catching up on the thread and not gonna lie it went places so let's see umm I'm starting to think the ps5 and ps5 pro were made by super fanboys that had "sources" because I guess they're like worried that the ps5 could be weaker. It's not known at all but I'm guessing to some people these aren't well designed boxes to entertain but they are LIFE for some. Can you imagine being so invested in a box we use to play games on and watch Netflix that your whole life could be ruined if one box was stronger than the other?
Personally I think we all need to calm down and take a breath its getting way too bonkers with the silence from Sony and personally I think everyone is just pushing out random rumors to keep themselves happy in their box. The ps5 is gonna be dope, the series x is gonna be dope, the new nvidia ampere cards should be dope, and finally the switch is probably gonna have some dope stuff.
I agree with this. Personally, Xbox coming out with how awesome their box is gonna be only makes me think that Sony's will be just as awesome. Silence makes the mind race so people are jumping to conclusions. No, their silence doesn't mean Series X is better. No, their silence doesn't mean the PS5 will be better. We will just have to wait and see.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
If Lockhart isn't a retail product this year (and I personally don't think it is), I don't think they acknowledge it's existence until E3 2021, for a release that fall.

Even confirming Lockhart's existence as a thing could adversely affect Series X sales, if people decide to wait for a lower priced option they now know is coming.

As a knock-on effect, this is also why I don't think the Series X costs more than $499 no matter what - because Microsoft won't want their only console SKU for an entire calendar year to be $599 or more.

It does exists, and has been co-developed with the series X so hard to see why it would launch together. But there are some interesting implications of were staggered - but I think MS is just leading with their halo effect console in marketing much like a car is shown in top trim versus entry level.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020

it would sellout for that year no matter what the price, even moreso if supply constrained by corona so why not price it whatever they want for the high end. It wouldn't even make sense to take a loss in year one

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
That's because to the outside world Lock hart doesn't exist or isn't suppose to. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only outward indication that they were working on multiple SKUs is when Phil said the word "consoles" on stage, everything else is rumors so you can't really say their are being stingy with info on lockhart when they haven't event said they are working on 2 consoles.

The discussion around Lockhart is funny, because everyone thinks they know exactly what it is, and what it's meant to be - a lower-cost alternative to the Series X. And yet, for all intents and purposes, it officially still doesn't even exist. There has even been cries that this unannounced, non-existent thing will hold back the next generation of games, lol.

The entirety of our knowledge of it, is basically the project name, a (single?) rumour about it's specs, and Phil using the plural "consoles" at E3 once (which he went on to say was referring to the Xbox One family of consoles - maybe true, maybe not). First it was thought to maybe be an xCloud receiver. Then Lockhart was rumoured to be shelved. Then it was rumoured to be back. Then the power rumour went from 4TF to around 7TF.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Ms definitely could have shared more specs, but they confirmed gddr6, some features like dynamic input lag, vrs. And some new OS features.

They also have shown the controller and outlined all new features for it. For ps5 we don't even know if it will keep the lightbar or if they will make the paddles a standard feature. Or the console itself and the case which was also important to outline how the machine was designed to go above expectations.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
The discussion around Lockhart is funny, because everyone thinks they know exactly what it is, and what it's meant to be - a lower-cost alternative to the Series X. And yet, for all intents and purposes, it officially still doesn't even exist. There has even been cries that this unannounced, non-existent thing will hold back the next generation of games, lol.

The entirety of our knowledge of it, is basically the project name, a (single?) rumour about it's specs, and Phil using the plural "consoles" at E3 once (which he went on to say was referring to the Xbox One family of consoles - maybe true, maybe not). First it was thought to maybe be an xCloud receiver. Then Lockhart was rumoured to be shelved. Then it was rumoured to be back. Then the power rumour went from 4TF to around 7TF.
That's what I'm saying, how can people be mad about not getting info on something that doesn't officially exist? it's madness that only comes around a new console generation.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I just think back to 13 and Sony revealing first and MS being quiet only for negative rumors to propagate then the reveal fiasco. Idk why Sony is quiet but if it's anything like 2013 and kind of 2016 be ready for a weaker console.

(this doesn't mean bad console)
What you describe doesn't make any sense though. First of all, you put too much importance on the TF number. There is no way a company delays a reveal just because someone else has a more powerful console. Every company's messaging relies on many other factors as well. Second of all, when a rival reveals sth then the other company has to wait for the info to settle before making their own announcement (so MS's reveal strategy in 2013 was perfectly fine). Proof of that was the fact that nothing during MS's 2013 reveal implied that they were afraid/worried of anything. If anything, they were super cocky and bold and that carried over their E3 presentation as well. Their strategy just backfired.

PS. I don't consider any next-gen info that MS or Sony have provided as a reveal. General specs and even a box aren't a reveal of anything. Gameplay is.
PS2. If anything the info that MS has provided should have made people even more excited about Sony's console since MS has shown stuff that most of us considered a wet dream a few months back.

Last edited:

groganos

Jan 12, 2018
Ohhhhiiiiyyyoooo
I agree with this. Personally, Xbox coming out with how awesome their box is gonna be only makes me think that Sony's will be just as awesome. Silence makes the mind race so people are jumping to conclusions. No, their silence doesn't mean Series X is better. No, their silence doesn't mean the PS5 will be better. We will just have to wait and see.
Ditto my internet hombre, nobody knows what is happening besides the series x has a pretty rock solid gpu and sony said some stuff about ssd and theyll use zen2/rdna. It reminds me of NFL free agency or the summer transfer period in euro football. When nothing is said and we have no concrete info then idiots on the internet make stuff up to fuel speculation and to throw as much out there as possible so if buy any chance they get one tiny detail right they can internet brag on how they "leaked" it.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
MS has had multiple presentations, dieshots, console pics, specs.

Sony gave us a logo..

Exclusive: What to Expect From Sony's Next-Gen PlayStation - From - 04.16.2019

A lot of details revealed. Followed by:

Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5 - From - 10.08.2019
Even more details revealed.

Both articles have loads of qotes from Cerny himself. Besides the Teraflops announcement i actually think we have more info on the PS5 than the next Xbox.

If you only saw a logo from Sony, it's on you.

CrazyNomad

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
The two Wired articles gave us more details about the PS5 than what we know about the Series X. We've just actually seen with our eyes more with the Series X, actually seeing the form factor.
this podcast gave more details about the XsX than the 2 ps5 wired article together

and plus we have this

www.xbox.com

Xbox Series X | Xbox

Discover the fastest, most powerful Xbox ever with the Xbox Series X.

Last edited:

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

At minimum, I'd think the wise wager is on the Series X having the higher TFLOP number now. These kinds of media and PR actions aren't taken lightly, so if Microsoft are outright flexing about TFLOPS (and they were on social media), then it's a fair bet that they are highly confident they've got the PS5 beat - even if only on that specific spec point.

You don't do something like that, if you think there's even a small chance that Sony could come out 24 hours later and embarrass you by having a higher number, leading to a media cycle about how Sony windmill dunked on Microsoft's announcement. But again - this only applies to the 12 TFLOPs. And it could still mean the PS5 falls anywhere between 1 and 11.9 TFLOPS.

On the other side, Microsoft not speaking about other specs (such as their SSD), could equally mean they are less confident about where they sit on those fronts relative to the PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.