• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know they still make these. What's the purpose of them(being so big)?
Well if you want to have large floorstanding speakers in your home they need an amplifier to drive them.

I've got that Sony amp and a pair of Q550 speakers.
uk.kef.com

Q Series

KEF Q Series HiFi speakers bring cinema-quality sound to your home. Powerful yet balanced, stylish yet complementary, the Q Series bring detail and depth.

Of course there's stupid money speakers but the difference in sound quality between standard cheap speakers and a set of good ones are night and day.

These Amps are designed usually to support amplifying 7 speakers for 7.1 surround sound. So imagine driving all those at a loud volume. Is going to generate heat.

Also amps do passthrough of HDMI. So you plug your HDMI devices into the amp and then the amp connects to the TV.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
These things draw a lot of power and thus generate a lot of heat to drive those big ass amps inside.
I see, I'm kinda surprised that speakers nowadays still rely no external amp.
Well if you want to have large floorstanding speakers in your home they need an amplifier to drive them.

I've got that Sony amp and a pair of Q550 speakers.
uk.kef.com

Q Series

KEF Q Series HiFi speakers bring cinema-quality sound to your home. Powerful yet balanced, stylish yet complementary, the Q Series bring detail and depth.

Of course there's stupid money speakers but the difference in sound quality between standard cheap speakers and a set of good ones are night and day.

These Amps are designed usually to support amplifying 7 speakers for 7.1 surround sound. So imagine driving all those at a loud volume. Is going to generate heat.

Also amps do passthrough of HDMI. So you plug your HDMI devices into the amp and then the amp connects to the TV.
Holy crap that looks sick

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Hmm,Hynix calls that big Navi leak fake news,this looks like a parody post:

Official statement on recent fake news:

"Regarding recent fake news about SK hynix's memory specifications and info sheet on AMD's next generation GPU, on which some media have reported since February 24 (PST), SK hynix hereby announces that the company has not created and distributed such specifications as well as the document asserted to be leaked by an internal source.

We ask you not to distribute or make a false report on this from now on. We can assure you that SK hynix will take every necessary measure against such media, including all available legal actions, to ensure that such wrongful/illegal activities will be stopped immediately and to protect and defend our customers, business partners, and ourselves. For the avoidance of doubt, SK hynix reserves all rights."

LOL

cc DrKeo , anexanhume , Colbert

Last edited:

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
I have been away for 4/5 days and needed 2 days to read through all the post in here and my God what on earth is happening/happened here.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
tenor.gif

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think that in the end their line of reasoning will be pretty similar: "What will net us the most amount of money?".

Which is why I don't expect one to slack off while the other is being competitive. Too much money to be made to not take it seriously.

The calculus is very difficult for an outside observer to gauge. But in terms of motivations as 'underdog' or 'incumbent/dominant', I would point out that it's the latter that motivated the largest loss-leading we've seen to date (in the PS2 -> PS3 transition). On this front I don't think we should assume the appetite for loss-leading generated by the desire to 'catch up' is greater than the desire of an incumbent to protect their business.

For the current transition, though, it's hard to speculate the relative appetites for loss leading. Nobody outside MS or Sony knows their respective numbers and projections better than they do.

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
Well, it's that time again folks. It's avatar time! I'm a little unsure of whether or not I should go with a theme for tonight's avatars. Jim, what do you think?

tumblr_pecd8ikKZ81xch6xgo4_400.gifv

Indeed it is. But let's not dwell on that. 2Blackcats, Nickerbocker98, Toler Supreme, Logan Hardy. Please step forward. For the crimes of failing to guess the correct reveal date for the PlayStation 5, I hereby sentence you to have the following avatars.

2Blackcats, sometimes a drawing of a happy taco just goes wrong.

E1etKLB.png

Nickerbocker98, ever wanted your food to be happy that you were about to eat it?

Vusmavo.png

Toler Supreme, you gotta get new sock, man.....

np5GBfB.png

Logan Hardy, have a nightmare, courtesy of me!

GGFDoSO.png

Whaddya think of that one Jim?

tumblr_owjjezs9pk1u501aoo4_400.gifv

Ummmmmm. G'night folks.
Thank god my avatar is not as bad:p

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
The calculus is very difficult for an outside observer to gauge. But in terms of motivations as 'underdog' or 'incumbent/dominant', I would point out that it's the latter that motivated the largest loss-leading we've seen to date (in the PS2 -> PS3 transition). On this front I don't think we should assume the appetite for loss-leading generated by the desire to 'catch up' is greater than the desire of an incumbent to protect their business.

For the current transition, though, it's hard to speculate the relative appetites for loss leading. Nobody outside MS or Sony knows their respective numbers and projections better than they do.

100% agree with this.

Now Sony obviously would never want a repeat of the PS3 but to say that Sony is not willing to take a loss because they were the topdog this gen is just stupid.

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
Late to the party: 12 tflops in a fucking console and that too on a rdna2 architecture fuck me that's awesome. Hope ps5 follows suit because that would be what i'll buy . Also klee is redeemed in my eyes. iirc klee was the first one to confirm double digit navi tflops...and here we are with the 12tf xsx. Klee only was wrong about supposedly feb event but that was before the corona virus and sony has pulled out of two major events. So , i believe feb event was moved.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
PS Plus games however this is now on the verge of them trolling us and making light of our expectations....
Not to mention:
c0fd2efc82db6af8df4e0e4a592406d8.png

Just look at the whole thread.
twitter.com

ᙖ👀վąҟą™ on Twitter

“@PlayStationDE Ihr könnt mir auch gerne ne PN mit den Specs und nem Bild schicken wenn ihr es den anderen nicht verraten wollt. Ich sag’s auch ganz bestimmt niemandem weiter. 🤓🤣 https://t.co/Ade9FeimwF”

It's not a fun time right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever you stream, the GPU has to draw. SSD will play a role, but there are limits to what can be accomplished with it.

It is not the hail Mary so many describe.
And I never said anything different.

Saying the SSD will play a more notable role =/= it has no limit and that it is a "hail mary"

Leveraging SSD for extra CPU power is nonsense, when the CPU does computation at peak efficiency the data doesn't even leave the CPU die, it stays within registers and caches. When the data doesn't fit in the cache (or the organization of your data reduces temporal and spatial locality), CPU performance tanks significantly. Now that you know DRAM is slow, SSD is even a few magnitudes slower.

The inverse, however, is true. At load time, faster I/O can keep the CPU fed, hence maximizing the overall efficiency.
Whichever way you want to put it, it helps with the CPU. That was the point.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I like this theory. i think this is how it all went down.

reddit leak comes out in january, confirms 12 tflops anaconda , 4 tflops lockhart and an 8 tflops ps5. sony freaks out. they know MS has them sandwiched or boxed in. Heads roll at sony. Sony CEO kodera and Shawn Layden are fired for creating that fraud of a console. Jim Ryan comes in and gives Cerny two orders. increase the clocks to get to 9 tflops, and send out devkits with a radeon 7 to fool devs.

As cerny struggled to get a 2.0 ghz gpu in a console, Jim's plan to fool devs worked flawlessly as Andrew Reiner and he who shall not be named both got confirmations of a 13 tflops gpu. little did they know they had fallen for Jim's ingenious plan.

Meanwhile, Klee meets his source on a sunny afternoon late June on the sunny beaches of california. the sea was angry that day my friends, but klee got his source drunk enough to get some insider info. Klee's source told him about the monstrous lie. Jim had been playing us all along. there is no double digit rdna tflops, there is no hardware rt, no vrs, and then he cried for betraying him. "I am forced to code on a 9 tflops console that doesnt have hardware ray tracing.", he cried in anguish.

Klee was devastated. His trust now broken. He went back in time to create an era account to mislead Sony fans for months. "I want them to feel what i felt." he said to himself as he methodically leaked false info to era members thirsty for any news from Sony. Some users saw through it all. they soon realized Klee was a fake insider and coordinated a brave resistance. they fought klee on all many fronts. era, twitter, and discord. And then one day through sheer persistence, a miracle happened. They called it Miracle On Icera. On a dark and frigid afternoon in the snowy mountains of Alaska, Klee realized the monster he had become, and banned himself by committing soduku. Viva La resistance.

Cerny seeing everything crashing down around him, is in hiding. You see, he had also lied about hardware rt in the ps5 gpu and now found himself on the cusp of the PS5 announcement with no RT and no double digit tflops to show for. Sony's lies finally caught up to them.

Cerny spent a lot of time in japan and i dont know what you know about japanese culture, but Cerny is an expert. you see, after lying to wired and sony fans for a year, honor and shame finally caught up to Cerny. PS5 Principal Engineer walks into Cerny;s office with tears in his eyes. "Promise me, promise me everything you said about hardware RT in the PS5 was true." he asked Cerny knowing what the answer was going to be. Cerny looks at his watch, as the github leaks flash before his eyes and lies, "I promise."

Cut to black.
Gunshot.

Late, but I must commend this excellent posting!

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Im going to make a prediction here. My last prediction was in Jan when I predicted that in Feb that CP2077 would be delayed to fall.

Something is not right with Sony right now.

1) They are off the timeline that they had leading up to PS4 launch. No Feb reveal this time may not seem like a big deal but they hit a grandslam with the PS4 and Im sure they would want to follow a very simular path to launch if they could.

2) They are pulling out of every major conferance PAX GDC and E3. Now you could say that due to Coronavirus.

3) Coronavirus its hitting Japan hard rightnow and is already effecting manufacturing in China.

4) MS just set a very very high bar for nextgen. XSX is an absoulute beast. How can a smaller company match those specs and come close to breakeven on HW.

I think you know where Im going with is. Hate to say it but......

PS5 will be delayed to spring 2021.
You predicted CP2077 would get a delay......god damn,could I get this weeks lottery numbers please,lol.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
I think even if the PS5 is weaker, waiting much longer to talk about it won't help them. I think the sooner people know the sooner they'll get used to the idea and instead look to the games rather than the specs in the long term up to launch.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
It's their secret (OK not so secret) weapon. If Sony announces $399 for PS5, Lockhart will be announced at $299. If PS5 is $499, then Lockhart will be shelved.
Nah I'd still keep lockheart honestly. Consumers are smart enough now to understand two products in a release cycle. Just message that's is the perfect gamepass box and it's digital only

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
I think even if the PS5 is weaker, waiting much longer to talk about it won't help them. I think the sooner people know the sooner they'll get used to the idea and instead look to the games rather than the specs in the long term up to launch.
I'm starting to think they're waiting (or preparing) to reveal the final design along a bunch of games. After all, specs in themselves are interesting to us, gamers, forum users but they do little for the wider audience. My gut says the final box isn't ready yet and they want to show that as well.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
It's their secret (OK not so secret) weapon. If Sony announces $399 for PS5, Lockhart will be announced at $299. If PS5 is $499, then Lockhart will be shelved.

Seems unlikely to me that Microsoft are going to wait for a price announcement from Sony before making a decision on whether or not to launch a new product. What if Sony decided not to reveal the price until September?

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

Why did Sony lose as much on the console? They had mistakes feom here to Pluto.

1. They gambled that Blu Ray was going to replace DVD and ensure that there would be revenues and royalties for the ages would flow. They ended up running into issues coming up with enough laser diodes. If I remember correctly, other companies had to come in and help.

2. Their initial plan was to have two cell chips handle CPU and GPU tasks. That did not pan out and they had to go to nvidia for RSX.

Sony leveraged their gaming business on a future where physical media was king, and they were willing to make a loss on their gaming business to see it come to fruition.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
I'm starting to think they're waiting (or preparing) to reveal the final design along a bunch of games. After all, specs in themselves are interesting to us, gamers, forum users but they do little for the wider audience. My gut says the final box isn't ready yet and they want to show that as well.
I think after the Xbox One launch, it's not impossible for the general audience to make a big deal about a weaker console (granted there were a lot of other highlighted mistakes that came with it). They probably don't care about the specifics. Just the idea that it's weaker.

Aside from that, what you said could be the case. They could just be waiting for the complete package to drop on the hungry fans.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
What I was thinking about is that back then, why didn't they show PS4 at the Feb reveal? Was it because they wanted to wait with it till e3 or perhaps because the design wasn't final? (I remember shade was thrown at them for not showing the actual thing)
If the latter is the truth, that could very well be the reason they're not revealing it yet.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I think the 9TF rumours are true but the plot twist is Sony will use 2 of them for 18TF in the PS5, one for each screen in PSVR2. It literally explains everything....

/s

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I think after the Xbox One launch, it's not impossible for the general audience to make a big deal about a weaker console (granted there were a lot of other highlighted mistakes that came with it). They probably don't care about the specifics. Just the idea that it's weaker.

Aside from that, what you said could be the case. They could just be waiting for the complete package to drop on the hungry fans.

The original X1 was an absolute joke spec-wise. It was huge, I believe it even had a power brick, the controller came with AA batteries, a big portion of the games wasn't even able to hit 1080p, but 720p (a resolution we already had on the previous generation) and the best (or worst) part: it was more expensive due to a mandatory accessory nobody cared about.

I'm pretty sure less people will care if PS5 is 2/3 TF's lower and equally priced or lower. Especially when games like HZD2, GoW2 and Spider-Man 2 will inevitably hit, with PS5 patches for the first games also coming.

Some people here are really underestimating Sony. I'm even seeing terms like "MS can give the final blow by doing this and that". The final blow for what, exactly? They have never won a generation sales-wise and Sony's first party output is stronger and better than ever.The last 4 generations, Sony provided the 2 best selling home consoles ever. In the top 8, all of their consoles ranked higher than the best Xbox console, the 360. Being more powerful does absolutely nothing significant.

Wii released 1 year later than X360 and is way more weaker, yet it sold significantly more. Nintendo Switch launched 4(!!!) years later than Xbox One and is way more weaker, yet it is also outselling Xbox One.

1. PlayStation 2 – 159 million*
  2. Nintendo DS – 154.02 million. ...
  3. Game Boy/Game Boy Color – 118.69 million. ...
  4. PlayStation 4 – 106 million.
  5. PlayStation – 102.4 million. ...
  6. Nintendo Wii – 101.63 million. ...
  7. PlayStation 3 – 87.5 million* ...
  8. Xbox 360 – 85 million* ...
This may come of as a Sony fanboy, but I'm just using common sense and facts here. Some people here really need a reality check.

The Series X is a beast of a console and MS is doing a really good thing since Phil took over with stuff like GP, but it's gonna need the games to back it all up if it wants to stand the slightest change against PS5. And I'm not even taking BC with PS4 in account.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Why did Sony lose as much on the console? They had mistakes feom here to Pluto.

1. They gambled that Blu Ray was going to replace DVD and ensure that there would be revenues and royalties for the ages would flow. They ended up running into issues coming up with enough laser diodes. If I remember correctly, other companies had to come in and help.

2. Their initial plan was to have two cell chips handle CPU and GPU tasks. That did not pan out and they had to go to nvidia for RSX.

Sony leveraged their gaming business on a future where physical media was king, and they were willing to make a loss on their gaming business to see it come to fruition.

My point wasn't that the situations around bom aren't different, clearly they are, but that Sony was willing - and in hindsight, able, even if it compromised earnings for a while - to take a large loss in order to keep their platform as far as fiscally possible, competitive and a going concern. Obviously it was an extreme situation that won't be repeated. But coming from a position of dominance only induced greater loss leading rather than discouraging it, in that case.

What I'm saying is, the flipside of being an underdog is having something major/important to protect. The PS business is now as important to Sony as Blu-ray ever was, for example. I wouldn't assume a higher motivation re. loss-leading just because of a catch-up posture. Major loss leading isn't a situation anyone wants to get into, but if I think both companies have obvious pressures to be competitive in terms of price/perf ratios and affordability even if the pressures come from different market positions.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
This is the one thing the X1 got right, IMO. Hoping they don't force internal batteries on me next gen, although I fear they will.

At least my trusty V1 Elite will still work.
It's horrible for the environment. Millions of people buying disposable AA batteries.

And a small subset using rechargeable ones.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't sound like MS have spent that much to me:

www.gamespot.com

Xbox Series X Will Stay As Quiet As Xbox One X, Says Phil Spencer

Here's how the Xbox Series X has a new cooling solution to keep all its high-end hardware cool without sound like a jet engine.

Wasn't Arden listed in the same set of files with 5X (can't recall the exact number) CUs?

Arden was listed seemingly as a placeholder, no testing had been done on it or is contained within the files. I do not believe it was in-house at the time of testing. We know Ariel dates back to 2017 and earlier references of Oberon late 2018. Arden simply wasn't there.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
Cerny once declared to do native 4K at PS4 quality, you need 8TF.

I simply cant see a scenario where Sony are happy with a next-gen machine pushing out PS4 level graphics at 4K (architectural efficiencies aside). Just makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.