• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I don't understand why some of you are talking sales and Instagram likes in this thread. Do you like the specs, the direction or potential value? Let these megacorporations with their massive marketing budgets worry about their Instagram likes.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
You are late:

Also: https://www.pcgamer.com/on-paper-th...es-x-is-faster-than-a-geforce-rtx-2080-super/

All the metrics are wrong tbh.
Even if you have a RTX 2080 Super inside a console, with low level API, coding to the metal and console optimisations, you gonna get much more performance. This without counting the GCN to RDNA 1 to RDNA 2 jump so that comparison doesn't make any sense.

Now with RDNA 2.0 being almost twice the GCN (Vega flops) it' safe to assume that even what MS didn't market it in the correct way.

12 Tflops RDNA 2 is around 23 GCN flops without console optimisations so XSX is like over 4 times XB O X power, not just 2.

It just MS were comparing the raw numbers of 12 Tflops vs 6 tflops without considering RDNA2 vs GCN and console optimisations.
Sigh. Huh?
How about we calm down a bit in here regarding weird and impossible cross architectural comparisons that rely on magic.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS' news today has really brought out the chest-puffing, downplaying, and FUD-slinging.

I definitely think some communication from the staff as to when/if the threads will be split would be very welcome. After a point the insistence on keeping the thread consolidated starts to feel a tad prescriptive, and I think, with so many participants here calling for a split, it might be time to do right by your members.
100%
I've been very vocal about wanting a split for a very long time , but at this point, we should be prepared to endure a thread thats simply going to turn into slinging between the companies talking points and market differentiators.
After the Series X reveal... I think the time has come. One console is still speculative, the other has been 99.9% revealed. Both calls for different kinds of threads (actual discussion about the ramifications of what MS has announced VS a PS5 thread still grounded in educated guesses and speculating their aims, strategies, and their hardware)

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
XSX at $499 with GPU and unlimited access to over 250 games is better value than PS5 at $399 with only 1-3 games.

"XSX at $499 with GPU (?) and unlimited access to over 250 games, all of which you can play on hardware you already own" doesn't quite have the same ring to it, though.

Sure, some people will drop half a grand for just a hardware upgrade. But I think most people buy a console because they need it (or will need it) to play a game they want. That's the driver of the upgrade. Those "1-3 games" could make a bigger difference than prettier versions of games they can already play.

And in Microsoft's case, many of the people who are willing to drop half a grand for just a hardware upgrade just did that, two years ago, and might not be keen on doing it again so soon.

I hope Microsoft is successful and I'll buy an XSX because I buy every system, but I'm not confident their strategy is as compelling to the mass market as you seem to think. If Halo Infinite is stellar it could be a sales driver in the same way that BotW boosted the Switch despite being on the Wii U, and I think it's clear that's what Microsoft is hoping for, but I'm not sure that will inspire existing Xbox owners to upgrade in the same way that next-gen exclusive "killer apps" would.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
While a few people are talking about the PS5 dev kit, since oberon is only a very slightly overclocked 5700 why would it need to be so big and have so much cooling?

This is another thing that doesn't really line up with GitHub and Oberon. Sony could simply slap a Zen 2 and 5700 in a case and have a PS5 dev kit good to go. No need for V shapes, huge cases and crazy cooling.

I'm fairly confident, especially with what Matt said about not taking GitHub as gospel re: PS5, that we don't have the whole picture with Oberon.

Whether it's a whole different CU set up, or that PS5 has some kind of separate RT core like the Power VR RTU there is way too much smoke surrounding a PS5 that is stronger than simply a Zen 2 and 5700.

Also because if all Sony has to counter XSX is a 5700 with RT bolted on then they done gone messed up big time.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
So obviously I wasn't in the room for these talks or anything, but my understanding was always when Nadella took over he made it clear to Spencer that he was only interested in staying in games if the business could actually be a profitable one, hence the more reserved Xbox we had for a few years. Then the Game Pass "Netflix for games" strategy was fully formed and pitched, and that business plan was what made MS open up the wallet again and go back to not worrying too much about more immediate returns.
I see, makes sense. I even recalled one interview that Phil said something like being able to hit 10bln in revenue was some sort of milestone for xbox and eye opener for Ms.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Like I've said before, I can't wait to see both consoles up and running. I think gamers are in for a real treat with this coming generation. Proper competition will drive up quality this time round (both games and hardware) and I'll be buying both.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't expect that this time around. That was a one off thing. The PS5 is weaker no doubt, it's just how much and I believe the 9 TF github leak.
If the Github leak was true.. I think we would have heard about this gulf in specs by now. Last gen we heard devs lamented having only 4GB of ram in PS4s dev kits, when MS had 8GB nearly 2 years before PS4 was even announced.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While a few people are talking about the PS5 dev kit, since oberon is only a very slightly overclocked 5700 why would it need to be so big and have so much cooling?

This is another thing that doesn't really line up with GitHub and Oberon. Sony could simply slap a Zen 2 and 5700 in a case and have a PS5 dev kit good to go. No need for V shapes, huge cases and crazy cooling.

I'm fairly confident, especially with what Matt said about not taking GitHub as gospel re: PS5, that we don't have the whole picture with Oberon.

Whether it's a whole different CU set up, or that PS5 has some kind of separate RT core like the Power VR RTU there is way too much smoke surrounding a PS5 that is stronger than simply a Zen 2 and 5700.

Also because if all Sony has to counter XSX is a 5700 with RT bolted on then they done gone messed up big time.
You're making too much damn sense!
Yes to all of this.
And Jason, probably the most credible and thorough guy investigating out there said both consoles are powerful, similar and very close in specs. Some here think Sony has 9TFlops RDNA or CGN up against 12TF RDNA2.. I mean, that sounds highly improbable in light of Jason's tweets.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
The PS5 is weaker no doubt

screen-shot-2016-02-11-at-2-27-05-pm.png

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
If the Github leak was true.. I think we would have heard about this gulf in specs by now. Last gen we heard devs lamented having only 4GB of ram in PS4s dev kits, when MS had 8GB nearly 2 years before PS4 was even announced.

No, we really wouldn't. The reasoning is that Sony has control over their first party and their first party would be the only ones that have the newer development kits that show the difference.

The third party studios would have older kits until later this year. This would be to keep security in check. You can't leak the correct specs if you don't even have them in the first place.

You guys keep harping on the 4 which became 8 gigabytes of ram to be some kind of savior, I think you are overestimating things here, by a lot.

Conmex

Banned
May 19, 2018
Yes to all of this.
And Jason, probably the most credible and thorough guy investigating out there said both consoles are powerful, similar and very close in specs. Some here think Sony has 9TFlops RDNA or CGN up against 12TF RDNA2.. I mean, that sounds highly improbable in light of Jason's tweets.
im betting sony wont even release detailed specs. i think its pretty obvious by now that xbox has the edge.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran

What if Sony comes with 13tf gpu plus separate rt cores.

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
Yes to all of this.

It would be so big and require so much cooling because it uses VEGA. There you go!

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
No, we really wouldn't. The reasoning is that Sony has control over their first party and their first party would be the only ones that have the newer development kits that show the difference.

The third party studios would have older kits until later this year.

You guys keep harping on the 4 which became 8 gigabytes of ram to be some kind of savior, I think you are overestimating things here, by a lot.

I think most are dismissing the Github specs because they're going by the numerous insiders who have said the PS5 and XSX are very close in power, and those insiders who gave figures ranging from 12 to 13 TF for the PS5. Plus Matt who indicated we should move past the Github info.

Jan 20, 2019

The third party studios would have older kits until later this year. This would be to keep security in check. You can't leak the correct specs if you don't even have them in the first place.

That is funny you are saying is overestimating things after right this

Also, keep in mind that Xbox Series X is using a "customized" version of RDNA 2.0, so the gains could even be further than that in theory of course. :-)

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
I think most are dismissing the Github specs because they're going by the numerous insiders who have said the PS5 and XSX are very close in power, and those insiders who gave figures ranging from 12 to 13 TF for the PS5. Plus Matt who indicated we should move past the Github info.

I choose to ignore the insiders. Not that I am a hater, but if they are using third party sources, then it's irrelevant at least for me because they would be using an old development kit.

Look how cagey Sony is acting right now, they can't control third party developers like they can first party developers so they probably have old devkits that are based on "VEGA" GCN specs and that's why the devkits are loud and obnoxious.

If you get your sources from a first party PlayStation "dev" team from "today", then those sources are more trust worthy.

Later this year the newer development kits will come out and everyone will have one, but until that time I am holding to actual information and not because my uncles cousin's brother works as a Janitor at Electronic Arts.

Conmex

Banned
May 19, 2018
you know sony is quiet because they lost the spec race this round. its not a big deal.

sony still has more talented developers by miles.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I think MS have Sony beat only in regards with being able to tout 12TF which is why it is pretty much the only hard number they are sharing. Sony are probably higher in every other aspect as far as numbers are concerned.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands

I said this back when the github stuff first leaked but I can see the PS5 having around 9tf with a seperate chip for RT.

A 9tf GPU plus a seperate chip (powerVR?) for RT would probably be on par with a 12tf GPU that has to do the RT itself.

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not gonna lie I didnt expect series X to actually be 12tf of rdna2. As Phil only said its twice the power of the 1x so I thought he may just been playing with words a bit.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
I choose to ignore the insiders. Not that I am a hater, but if they are using third party sources, then it's irrelevant at least for me because they would be using an old development kit.

Look how cagey Sony is acting right now, they can't control third party developers like they can first party developers so they probably have old devkits that are based on "VEGA" GCN specs and that's why the devkits are loud and obnoxious.

If you get your sources from a first party PlayStation "dev" team from "today", then those sources are more trust worthy.

Later this year the newer development kits will come out and everyone will have one, but until that time I am holding to actual information and not because my uncles cousin's brother works as a Janitor at Electronic Arts.
I see... You choose to ignore people handling the devkits and form your own opinion based on a specific narrative. Makes sense I guess...

/s

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
What facts? Do you know the performace of rdna2 ?

Console warrior coment is very funny since is the only thing you have done since arriving.

Truth is a console warrior attribute?

I was talking about the cusomizing of the chip, not the performance. The performance is because they did a lot of tuning with Xbox Series X, so it makes sense that they would continue doing that with the next one.

Facts like "the PS5 is weaker no doubt"? Because that sure looks like conjecture to me.

GitHub is more than conjecture as it was correct for the Xbox Series X, so it's probably realistically going to be the same for PS5.
Do you seriously think they can magically change the chip this late in the game? No, not likely.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
Well, it was right on the money for Xbox Series X, sooooooo.... Also to change this late would be impossible.
Yes and no... we do know there were several revisions of Oberon and Ariel coming back in the spotlight. Not too sure how to take these.
What it certainly points at is that the Xbox Series X chip did not move much from the time of the GitHub leak.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Honestly hope that Sony releases system specs. The amount to which people hang onto certain statements is amazing.

We would also know which insiders got it wrong, whether DF and the Github leak are old data.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
GitHub is more than conjecture as it was correct for the Xbox Series X, so it's probably realistically going to be the same for PS5.
Do you seriously think they can magically change the chip this late in the game? No, not likely.
Until Sony themselves reveal the official specs it's all speculation and guesswork. Not seeing any facts here yet.

Have i missed something while asleep? We have the official ps5 specs?
G i t h u b

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands

You Can't be more transparent dude. Anyways how is Sony being "cagey"? Because they haven't released new info yet? Or because you are still suspecting that Sony cancelling stuff like PAX East due to the Coronavirus is some conspiracy because they just want to hide their weak PS5?

And loud and hot vega devkits? Please tell me where you got this information from because you seem so sure.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Man, a little news comes and people lose their heads.

Just remember, if it's available to MS it's available to Sony. Over and over we hear it's extremely close specs. One has the edge or the other. But it not going to be by much.

There's no way one has 36cus and the other has 50. Common.

It's much more likely one has higher clocks than the other. And that's something sony can play with at this stage, since ms showed their hand.

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
I see... You choose to ignore people handling the devkits and form your own opinion based on a specific narrative. Makes sense I guess...

/s

No, what I said what I think makes the most amount of sense. You can't have things both ways. You can't have something that's both 12 TF and 9 TF. Unless you have two consoles or you are using GCN Vega development kits to hide the real specs.

Come on man.

Status
Not open for further replies.