• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very happy to have confirmation on XSX specs. The console is a weapon and I'm expecting truly awesome things.

I am excited to see what the PS5 ends up being. I'm expecting XSX to have the edge, but all of the insider rumours also leave me thinking there's a small chance PS5 comes out with similar (if not stronger) specs.

Most importantly, can't wait to see some games.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
You don't plan to shutter a studio like Lionhead and cancel a AAA game to fund your next-generation hardware development. That doesn't make any sense at all.
I understand that MS doesn't have unlimited funds for Xbox. There is no blank check. You invest money in areas you think will improve the business and cut funding in areas that you feel are money losing ventures. Cancelling Scalebound, closing press play and lion head were business decisions. Ramping up spending in One X, game pass, and development of new IP, future acqusitions and expanding teams were others. Overall net is MS funding Xbox even more than ever in 2017 is my belief. There was a ramp up in spending. Maybe we should ask Panello if Zhuge tweet had some truth in it. I'm for it.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I think the PS2 was weaker than the Xbox and still annihilated it. Of course MS has strong 3rd party support now, but it'll all come down to the exclusive games and how effectively Sony can deliver them over the next 2-3 years. Also if multiplat games have significant differences in performance and PS5 is at the same price that could be problematic.

Why do people keep bringing up the PS2?? The PS2 was amazing in the 1999-2000 season whereas original Xbox came out in 2001-2002 season. Not even the same comparison as of right now.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I am excited to see what the PS5 ends up being. I'm expecting XSX to have the edge, but all of the insider rumours also leave me thinking there's a small chance PS5 comes out with similar (if not stronger) specs.

Most importantly, can't wait to see some games.

Can't wait

Screenshot_20191014-232407.png

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Why do people keep bringing up the PS2?? The PS2 was amazing in the 1999-2000 season whereas original Xbox came out in 2001-2002 season. Not even the same comparison as of right now.
Also, media was not what it was now. I 100% believe a power disadvantage can hurt marketing more today than back then, as Twitter and YouTube will make it more well known. Not unrecoverable or anything like that, but its a bigger advantage now than then.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Also, media was not what it was now. I 100% believe a power disadvantage can hurt marketing more today than back then, as Twitter and YouTube will make it more well known. Not unrecoverable or anything like that, but its a bigger advantage now than then.

People were doing the same thing back 20 years ago. The difference is the internet wasn't 24/7.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
If gamepass came out in June 2017, and project xcloud was well advanced as well as XSX, why would Nadella shut down xbox? Billions of dollars gone done the drain...not how Nadella operates. Plus xbox makes its own money...not some vanity project
Nadella killed the Surface Mini right after he took over, weeks before it was supposed to ship and he killed off the entire Microsoft Mobile division, formerly Nokia, and wrote billions off. He's an enterprise guy and if your product doesn't live in the cloud, specifically on Azure, or doesn't help Azure in any way, it won't have a long shelf life under him.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
That's because it is.

I am betting that we'll have games that'll look and animate like this:

You are still stuck in insanely low expectations???

www.gematsu.com

Project Awakening demo Project Awakening: Arise rated in Europe

The Pan European Game Information board has rated Project Awakening: Arise for PlayStation 4, which the description labels as a “trial version” of Cygames-developed action RPG Project A…

You have already 2 next-gen games representative of next-gen that most of you chose to neglect and intentionally not consider:

And they are neither the much lower quality non next-gen level Rebirth and Heretic demo, nor the cross gen games, let alone the current gen mess many are alluding to.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Billions of dollars gone done the drain...not how Nadella operates.

I mean, he shut down pretty much all of Microsoft's mobile OS/hardware efforts really quick. That's billions of dollars down the drain. There is something about not throwing good money after bad.

They invested a ton in Xbox One and it clearly didn't pay off the way they expected to. I can see Nadella & Co. being unconvinced that spending tons more money for another round with a newly dominant Sony was unlikely to go any better, and they had good reason to think it would go worse.

What was missing before Game Pass was a potential upside that would make the gamble of increased Xbox investment worth it.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Only Sony knows that.

Power isn't everything. Should Sony be far behind in power, then I'm sure Sony will come out swinging with reveals of plenty of next gen games. Microsoft seems to have the services (and at this point, power) but at the end of the day it's the games that will matter.

This is the simple point that seems to get lost in the endless back and forth how preposterous it would be, or what a disaster it would be if (for example) the PS5 was the ~9.2TF that was in that Github leak.

That's a smaller gap percentage-wise, than the 6TF <> 4.2TF of the One X and PS4 Pro, and as far as I can tell the One X wasn't hailed as some decisive strategic victory for Microsoft. Sony kept putting out their games, and those games were fantastic, and people kept buying PlayStations as much as they did before.

And beyond that, in many cases the PS4 Pro and One X version of games continued to be very similar in visual fidelity aside from the odd resolution bump here, or a slightly more stable framerate there. What games were hailed as some of the most visually stunning of this past year alone? Were they all Xbox One X games?

Raw specs are only a small piece of the puzzle. Things like price and games are bigger ones and both companies know that.

Last edited:

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It's bigger than 9.2, and if Sony is 9.2, they want to scream 12 from the rooftops.

Of course. But it seems odd they're flaunting it around without knowing what's in the PS5.

They would look pretty foolish making so much noise about how the Series X is 12 TF only for Sony to come out on Wednesday and reveal a PS5 with a 13 TF RDNA 2 GPU.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
remember when people thought these weren't possible on consoles? they're running on hardware weaker than the Series X

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
remember when people thought these weren't possible on consoles? they're running on hardware weaker than the Series X

Those are stuff you can expect if games were made with PS4 Pro and XB OX harwdare in mind. read my post above and everything I said befofore.
There is nothing ground breaking in those demos that screams next-gen, no RT, no advanced physics advanced hair, advanced cloth physics etc.
Also Megascans are used even on current gen. So...

I kept saying this many times but no one listened to me...

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I mean, he shut down pretty much all of Microsoft's mobile OS/hardware efforts really quick. That's billions of dollars down the drain. There is something about not throwing good money after bad.

They invested a ton in Xbox One and it clearly didn't pay off the way they expected to. I can see Nadella & Co. being unconvinced that spending tons more money for another round with a newly dominant Sony was unlikely to go any better, and they had good reason to think it would go worse.

What was missing before Game Pass was a potential upside that would make the huge gamble of increased Xbox investment worth it.

Spencer himself acknowledged in that big Gamespot interview he did post-E3 last year, that Nadella basically asked Spencer after becoming CEO of Microsoft, to explain to him why they were in the gaming space, and Spencer said there was a real possibility that Microsoft could very well no longer be a gaming company.

Spencer went back to him and made the case, and the rest is history. They spent a ton of money on Mojang, ditched the Kinect, got to work making the One S, started cleaning up their brand image, created Game Pass, etc. etc. etc.

These days Nadella apparently trust's Phil's vision enough that he's on Nadella's senior leadership team and reports directly to him.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
I think the most realistic possibility is that the XSX will do some things better than PS5 and PS5 will do something better than XSX.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
> Wakes up
> Wow 30 new pages in next gen thread something massive must have happened!
> Oh my, another 30 pages in the main forum in a new thread
> ...
> itsfuckingnothing.gif

Phil has stomped the dreams of the "Yes I'll concede it is 12TF but actually, only in GCN terms!" doubters. I'm surprised there was so many here on team GCN!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those are stuff you can expect if games were made with PS4 Pro and XB OX harwdare in mind. read my post above and everything I said befofore.
There is nothing ground breaking in those demos that screams next-gen, no RT, no advanced physics advanced hair, advanced cloth physics etc.
Also Megascans are used even on current gen. So...

I kept saying this many times but no one listened to me...
Rebirth hit 60fps on a 1080ti while Heretic was running on a 5700XT at 1440p. at reduced fidelity, maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.