• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2019
It was Game Pass, not the One X. "Netflix for games" is the dream they are pursuing, consoles are just one part of that.
It is never quite cut and dry as you seem to imply as one and not the other, it was both. As they couldn't sell only software ie Game Pass a.k.a. games a la carte Netflix style if they are not catering the hardware themselves, and with the original numbers it would be a hard pitch to sell with their console sales forecast.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
That didn't age well at all. Not even close.
At the time of that tweet, Xbox had pretty much just these games in development.

Halo Infinite
Gears 5
Forza 7
Forza Horizon 4
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
Crackdown 3

Forza 7 was a month from launch, and those last 3 games were all delayed from their original release dates. All of those titles started development in 2016 or before.

Xbox was in serious shit a few years ago. They had nothing besides those titles, and had SoT, SoD, and CD3 all made their original launch dates, Xbox would have gone into 2018 with only

Halo Infinite
Gears 5
Forza Horizon 4

In development.

Literally Halo Gears Forza.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Do you have any indication that the actual lag induced by the wireless connection is anywhere close to that?

Seems like an empty bullet point to me.
Not close to 60-80ms but that's not what they are saying.

It seems more (specially considering what they previously wrote about the feature) some kind of interrupting the current rendered frame to start over when an input happens and shave a few ms from rendering the current frame and then pooling the new input.

Perhaps that will be coupled with VRR to not become a tear fest

Edit: 16ms is just the amount of time there is in a 60fps frame. It would be the minimum lag you would face if you pressed a button right when the new frame started

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It is never quite cut and dry as you seem to imply as one and not the other, it was both. As they couldn't sell only software ie Game Pass a.k.a. games a la carte Netflix style if they are not catering the hardware themselves, and with the original numbers it would be a hard pitch to sell with their console sales forecast.
But the X did not make the kind of impact on One sales that you are implying. It did well in it's own right, but it didn't change the One's story.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
At the time of that tweet, Xbox had pretty much just these games in development.

Halo Infinite
Gears 5
Forza 7
Forza Horizon 4
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
Crackdown 3

Forza 7 was a month from launch, and those last 3 games were all delayed from their original release dates. All of those titles started development in 2016 or before.

Xbox was in serious shit a few years ago. They had nothing besides those titles, and had SoT, SoD, and CD3 all made their original launch dates, Xbox would have gone into 2018 with only

Halo Infinite
Gears 5
Forza Horizon 4

In development.

Literally Halo Gears Forza.
What about Ori, Minecraft dunegeons, age of empires, etc You are forgetting lots of games there. Also talks of acquisitions.

DIEHARD

Dec 6, 2019
No, but I would appreciate if you lighten up on all that console warrior tripe you've been spewing.

Go back to gaf if that's what you want to discuss.
Don't know what "tripe I'm spewing" your referring too. Its seems some peoples feelings are on edge and little too sensitive. Been watching both Restera & Gaf looking for news. Is their some turf war going on between the two forums I don't know about? If so leave me out of it. Just posting what I SEE. By the way posters who want to know: This "Tommy Fisher" is inferring that positive thing are instore for the PS5 (bombs coming). But hey "III-V" you stay classy, I promise things WILL get better. 😘

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
What about Ori, Minecraft dunegeons, age of empires, etc You are forgetting lots of games there. Also talks of acquisitions.
The point is that this would be the release schedule for Xbox until 2020

2018 - Forza Horizon 4
2019 - Gears 5

That would be it. The budget was a serious concern in 2017.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
The point is that this would be the release schedule for Xbox until 2020

2018 - Forza Horizon 4
2019 - Gears 5

That would be it. The budget was a serious concern in 2017.
So MS ramped up in spending hundreds of million (billions) in building out new hardware, talks of acquisitions, new game development, expansion of teams, new teams all just to go belly up and quit. nah I don't see it.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Before the Game Pass pitch, it was very possible the Xbox biz was not a path MS would have wanted to continue long-term. The X was a gamble to change the narrative and get some wind back in their sails.

This isn't even a secret, it's been talked about publicly.
I'm not sure the timeline of what's been talked publicly matches this.

Xbox had to pitch itself and gaming for Nadella but that seems to have happened when he took over. X and other stuff was already an execution towards the path and strategy they defined back then.

Oct 31, 2019
But the X did not make the kind of impact on One sales that you are implying. It did well in it's own right, but it didn't change the One's story.
And how exactly do you know, do you have the 'non-numbers'? Power difference over PS4 Pro is a big part of their story that you say didn't change. They wouldn't just gamble an all-in for next gen if they didn't plan a play that changed their forecast this gen and see it's real effects. We don't have numbers on premium consoles alone and no metric alone can discern it's impact on their Game Pass service. It's only viable if they can also sell the hardware comparably as well as the rival console.

Edit: Added quote

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

I think you could argue the X changed the current public opinion of how MS is approaching console gaming.

While it certainly didn't flip the script in regards to sales numbers, it at least changed the narrative that MS didn't care about power and was more focused on entertainment which is something that plagued them up until the Xbox One S, which is right around when Phil took over.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Xbox had to pitch itself and gaming for Nadella but that seems to have happened when he took over. X and other stuff was already an execution towards the path and strategy they defined back then.
There were two different main inflection points as far as I'm aware.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

Yes, 1X and GamePass were already in the planning and strategy plans back in 2014-2015 stage...but it just wasn't fleshed out. Phil talked about XGP being in the planning stages or something along the lines (I don't remember the exact wording) ~3 years ago (it was in some interview back when it launched, I don't remember which).

EDIT: It was gamepass and xcloud (different interviews)...Phil mentioned that they already had xcloud running internally but the economies of scale didn't work back then so they basically had to wait. A lot of this stuff was in planning right when Phil took over. It was just that he was still under Terry Myerson and Windows and internal stuff changes (even if you have projects going on in the back) based off of who is your boss.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I think you could argue the X changed the current public opinion of how MS is approaching console gaming.

While it certainly didn't flip the script in regards to sales numbers, it at least changed the narrative that MS didn't care about power and was more focused on entertainment which is something that plagued them up until the Xbox One S, which is right around when Phil took over.
I don't disagree with any of this, but it's not the impact of the X that made MS really double down, it's Game Pass.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to think the first RDNA 2 product announced is the Series X.

When does AMD typically hold their second half of the year release event? July?

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
And how exactly do you know, do you have the 'non-numbers'? Power difference over PS4 Pro is a big part of their story that you say didn't change. They wouldn't just gamble an all-in for next gen if they didn't plan a play that changed their forecast this gen and see it's real effects. We don't have numbers on premium consoles alone and no metric alone can discern it's impact on their Game Pass service. It's only viable if they can also sell the hardware comparably as well as the rival console.

Edit: Added quote

You both seem to think I'm talking about changing the public perception of Xbox. I'm not, I'm talking about the business case made internally as to why games are a field worth doubling down on. That argument was based largely on Game Pass and the potential in owning the "Netflix for games", not the sales of the One X.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if the tables were turned and an ex-Xbox Engineer started asking questions out load on Twitter about Sonys' next gen solutions, how would people react? 🤔Any different or worse. Questions, questions, questions.

Yeah, that's what matters...the what ifs. Never mind that Tim and that blue person are some hard core Xbox fanboys.

Wonder why Colbert's question was answered differently? No matter what his console preference is his question didn't come off as fan boyish.

It's not what you say, but how you say it.
No, but I would appreciate if you lighten up on all that console warrior tripe you've been spewing.

Go back to gaf if that's what you want to discuss.
Couldn't agree more.

I can only imagine what it's gonna be like in a few weeks....

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree with any of this, but it's not the impact of the X that made MS really double down, it's Game Pass.

Oh absolutely. I think Phil being able to point to the success of Netflix and even Office 365 as successful subscription models is hugely impactful to getting support from Amy Hood and Satya Nadella.

DIEHARD

Dec 6, 2019
Perspective is needed. In the coming week/months "True Gamers" will be ecstatic about the new next gen consoles from Sony and Microsoft. Good & exciting times ahead. And for those who GET BOTH system will be even more happier. The ONLY losers here will be is "saucy fanboys" and your wallet. You don't have to be an "insider" to know this. Buying both ensures "no more tears". I love win/win situations. GAME ON people!

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I believe they were when Nadalla took over, and when Spencer sold them on the Game Pass strategy (and when he got elevated to MS's ELT).

It going to be really interesting to see the gaming land scape in the next ten years .
Netflix is not what people thought it was going to be years ago with everyone setting up there own services .
With gaming there even more issues since there F2P and companies will set up there streaming service much faster than what happen in movie\tv land.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Ori and Age of Empires are modestly budgeted external projects and Minecraft Dungeons is a modestly budgeted internal project. You're sort of proving their point by using those as your examples.

So MS ramped up in spending hundreds of million (billions) in building out new hardware, talks of acquisitions, new game development, expansion of teams, new teams all just to go belly up and quit. nah I don't see it.

"Well documented history…nah, I don't see it!"

Consider that many within Microsoft might have been keen to avoid the major expense of developing new hardware, given how the Xbox One panned out. Maybe it wasn't a given that Microsoft would "ramp up in spending" to develop a new Xbox.

You mention "new teams" but by the midpoint of this generation Microsoft was cancelling games and shutting down teams, including major teams like Lionhead.

You keep mentioning the "talks of acquisitions" but it's worth noting when those acquisitions occurred. Did they occur gradually, over the entire Xbox One era? Or did they announce a bunch of acquisitions all at once? Microsoft's "spending spree" marked a fairly clear turning point for the division, a point where Microsoft changed their strategy and re-committed themselves to staying in the race for the long haul. This is important, because by saying there wasn't a period before that where Microsoft had scaled back their willingness to invest in Xbox, you're essentially saying that this turning point didn't exist, which is amusing because it was so apparent to even casual observers of the company (and indeed "We've changed! next gen will be different!" is the unspoken subtext of their last few E3s).

Last edited:

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Ori and Age of Empires are modestly budgeted external projects and Minecraft Dungeons is a modestly budgeted internal project. You're sort of proving their point by using those as your examples.

"Well documented history…nah, I don't see it!"

Consider that many within Microsoft might have been keen to avoid the major expense of developing new hardware, given how the Xbox One panned out. Maybe it wasn't a given that Microsoft would "ramp up in spending" to develop a new Xbox.

You keep mentioning the "talks of acquisitions" but it's worth noting when those acquisitions occurred. Did they occur gradually, over the entire Xbox One era? Or did they announce a bunch of acquisitions all at once? Microsoft's "spending spree" marked a fairly clear turning point for the division, a point where Microsoft changed their strategy and re-committed themselves to staying in the race for the long haul. This is important, because by saying there wasn't a period before that where Microsoft had scaled back their willingness to invest in Xbox, you're essentially saying that this turning point didn't exist, which is amusing because it was so apparent to even casual observers of the company (and indeed "We've changed! next gen will be different!" is the unspoken subtext of their last few E3s).
So when did MS cut funding on Xbox. What period of time. Zhuge made the tweet August 2017 which doesn't jive with what I've already discussed. Monday morning quarterbacking here. Xbox was actually ramping up in spending.

revben

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Yes, 1X and GamePass were already in the planning and strategy plans back in 2014-2015 stage...but it just wasn't fleshed out. Phil talked about XGP being in the planning stages or something along the lines (I don't remember the exact wording) ~3 years ago (it was in some interview back when it launched, I don't remember which).

EDIT: It was gamepass and xcloud (different interviews)...Phil mentioned that they already had xcloud running internally but the economies of scale didn't work back then so they basically had to wait. A lot of this stuff was in planning right when Phil took over. It was just that he was still under Terry Myerson and Windows and internal stuff changes (even if you have projects going on in the back) based off of who is your boss.
vrzone.com

Microsoft streams ‘Halo 4’ through the cloud on Windows and Windows Phone

Microsoft is building a cloud-based gaming service, and used Halo 4 to demonstrate how the service can be utilized on Windows and Windows Phone. Microsoft's cloud gaming service is still in its infancy, and Microsoft has

2013...stream Halo 4 to windows phone

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I believe they were when Nadalla took over, and when Spencer sold them on the Game Pass strategy (and when he got elevated to MS's ELT).
I had the impression those two happened at around the same time.

And if I had to chose one single reason gamepass would definitely be it, but I think what may really have sold them is how wholesome the xbox strategy ended up being.

Like catering the business side with gamestack, selling xbox live and other frameworks. Using xcloud as both a consumer focused platform but that they can use to expand cloud business (and apparently they landed Sony as a client which was a huge get). Improving the windows store adoption rate with renowned focus on games and gamepass coming to pc, plus previous initiatives such as play anywhere. It just all ties together with the many fronts Ms wanted to tackle.

Oct 25, 2017
it's not the same situation in the least because you are getting official communications from corporate heads. The only reason people are harassing this guy is because they have no outlet or avenue to the information they want from Sony themselves. It's suck, but the scarcity of communication problem is something Sony themselves are creating.
Not announcing detailed specs ~9months from release isn't the problem. It's not like pre-orders are running out before you know what you're buying.

The problem is that people are entitled jerks.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Wew. XSX is a beastly system and at the upper ends of my ranges for a reasonable possibility. Can't wait until they really start showing us more stuff.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Wait what?
Well remember those old PS5 leaks talking about PS5 specs and PSN+ Premium with better offers?

Well when talking about XSX Smart Delivery, he said he heard for quite some time stuff about PS Plus Premium offering enhancements for PS4 games on PS5 when subscribing to such service, that is why MS Is offering their Samrt delivery for free to counter that:

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I had the impression those two happened at around the same time.

And if I had to chose one single reason gamepass would definitely be it, but I think what may really have sold them is how wholesome the xbox strategy ended up being.

Like catering the business side with gamestack, selling xbox live and other frameworks. Using xcloud as both a consumer focused platform but that they can use to expand cloud business (and apparently they landed Sony as a client which was a huge get). Improving the windows store adoption rate with renowned focus on games and gamepass coming to pc, plus previous initiatives such as play anywhere. It just all ties together with the many fronts Ms wanted to tackle.
So obviously I wasn't in the room for these talks or anything, but my understanding was always when Nadella took over he made it clear to Spencer that he was only interested in staying in games if the business could actually be a profitable one, hence the more reserved Xbox we had for a few years. Then the Game Pass "Netflix for games" strategy was fully formed and pitched, and that business plan was what made MS open up the wallet again and go back to not worrying too much about more immediate returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.