• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has really turned around the Xbox brand. Sony has been my go to for years (despite also owning Xbox systems) but with killer hardware, services and building a large first party output... they certainly have my money an attention.

Month after month I remained shocked that the only news coming out of Sony these days is what event they will cancel next. I really hope they step it up soon because I am definitely interested to see what they are cooking up. Seems really strange to continue to let Microsoft steal the show for so long.

Sony effectively dominate console gaming.

They have what might be one of the best years for any platform ever, and that's just what we know about, and i'm only talking about exclusives here.

Microsoft are desperate to leave this gen behind, they have to get out in front with all this info, they want that mindshare, they want you to focus on the Series X... and not the fairly ho-hum final year that Xbox One is going to be having.

People bring up PS3 and how Sony was talking about PS4 at this same point despite Last of Us still to come out, but it's not the same situation at all.

They had no idea how TLOU would do critically nor comercially, they were very eager to jump into next gen just like Microsoft is now, and they didn't have the most robust line-up that they do this year

A lot of folk think Sony can't wait until after E3 to even say anything, but I fully disagree. Their current gen games will do all the talking they need until they feel ready to reveal their new console.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever happens, I will get the PS5 day one. I mean, I lived through the PS3 generation, I'll survive this too.

However I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit concerned after reading through the past few pages in this thread. I hope Sony has built a console that won't lag behind what the XSX seems to be capable of, while at the same time delivering a polished user experience.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah some of the stuff going on is cringe worthy embarrassing. Hope they drop the FF7 demo on the 3rd so I can skate past all the nonsense easier.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
It's also interesting that their tech seems to work quite a bit differently and, according to them at least, more efficiently than NVIDIAs:

https://www.imgtec.com/blog/coheren...racing-the-benefits-of-hardware-ray-tracking/

I do think that a power VR RTU being in the PS5's GPU as a special sauce is unlikely, but it definitely isn't impossible and would be exceptionally interesting.

Seeing a 9.2TF CU RDNA + Power VR RTU GPU go against a 12TF RDNA2 one would be very interesting, because I don't think the 12TF RDNA2 one would necessarily perform better especially if you made heavy use of RT.

In this scenario couldn't the RTU also act as the secondary processor for the custom SSD. Thinking of it like this, it could be used for a host of secondary console functions.

Oct 27, 2017
I very much wouldnt put my hopes into anything like that.

Its not the PS2 era anymore. Sony doesn't have the GPU expertise to do that.

Sony still have the ICE Team and extremely talented "close to the metal" developers that help with tools and intelligent techniques to overcome limitations. Also checkerboard rendering is one example of Sony (and Cerny) coming up with a solution to a shortcoming.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Since Xbox already release their core spec of 12 TF. Sony should just come out with it already. Whether its higher or lower, there's gonna be lots of noise regardless when they do it.
"Insiders"

ERj4YtPXUAAapEw
That didn't age well at all. Not even close.

Oct 26, 2017
Sony can wait until whenever since the start of a console or the amount of hype for it doesn't matter much.

It's just going to be a pretty boring reveal if it's after e3 as all the launch and near launch games for PS5 and Xbox will have already been shown outside of a couple of Sony games. Won't matter much but would be a pretty boring event.

DIEHARD

Dec 6, 2019
All that harassment for the Sony engineer just because one poster on here had to misconstrue his words...
Wonder if the tables were turned and an ex-Xbox Engineer started asking questions out load on Twitter about Sonys' next gen solutions, how would people react? 🤔Any different or worse. Questions, questions, questions.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Since Xbox already release their core spec of 12 TF. Sony should just come out with it already. Whether its higher or lower, there's gonna be lots of noise regardless when they do it.

Exactly, If it's not looking good specs wise then they are releasing the information too close to launch and it will be all about the underpowered specs. For me personally it's just about transparency.

they same level of transparency they used to take this generation is the same level of transparency I expect with whoever is my primary console next gen. It has nothing to so with brand loyalties.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Sony can wait until whenever since the start of a console or the amount of hype for it doesn't matter much.

It's just going to be a pretty boring reveal if it's after e3 as all the launch and near launch games for PS5 and Xbox will have already been shown outside of a couple of Sony games. Won't matter much but would be a pretty boring event.

I have a feeling something is coming. Soon.

I feel like this release of information from Microsofot occurred first thing on a Monday morning to preempt an expected PS5 reveal on their end. And if that's not the case, then surely this release by Microsoft will in turn dial up even more pressure on Sony to get moving.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Wonder if the tables were turned and an ex-Xbox Engineer started asking questions out load on Twitter about Sonys' next gen solutions, how would people react? 🤔Any different or worse. Questions, questions, questions.

it's not the same situation in the least because you are getting official communications from corporate heads. The only reason people are harassing this guy is because they have no outlet or avenue to the information they want from Sony themselves. It's suck, but the scarcity of communication problem is something Sony themselves are creating.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Depends on the context, if is revealed and it knocks my socks off as a consumer I'll review it. If it's revealed and it's underwhelming then it's a signal to me that they didn't have confidence in their product and I'm not going to have confidence in purchasing it right off the bat.

I'm just assuming they have a rough plan and are sticking to it, I don't think trust and whatever comes into it really, I'm not sure trust comes in to it unless they are pushing the hardware really hard, then I'm going to see what reliability is like before jumping in.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What?!? Attack a guys career?!?? What the hell are you talking about? Interesting because I've never heard of him until today. First time I see his page it says he works there. See colberts tweet, go back and look and it says former.

Then someone here shows he stopped working there this month. That's a wild coincidence to me. How you read that as an attack on someones career is beyond me. That's a hell of a reach!
typically when someone posts wow. what a coincidence, they are being facetious. like wow, no wonder that guy got fired.

thats how i read your post. if that wasnt the case then i apologize. no harm no foul.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I don't see it at all especially since One X was announced just few months prior to that tweet. Not to forgot all the other announcements and games.
www.polygon.com

E3 2017: All the trailers from Xbox’s conference

From Crackdown 3 to Metro Exodus

Plus Xbox has never ever had a blank check.
Before the Game Pass pitch, it was very possible the Xbox biz was not a path MS would have wanted to continue long-term. The X was a gamble to change the narrative and get some wind back in their sails.

This isn't even a secret, it's been talked about publicly.

renx

Jan 3, 2020
it's not the same situation in the least because you are getting official communications from corporate heads. The only reason people are harassing this guy is because they have no outlet or avenue to the information they want from Sony themselves. It's suck, but the scarcity of communication problem is something Sony themselves are creating.

We never knew a thing until E3 (or close to E3) over any holiday's new generation release, with the only exception of PS4, which was only partially unveiled by february 2013.
So I believe fans are quite a bit more anxious than they were in the past, demanding answers, yet Sony isn't particularly late in providing information.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I'm just assuming they have a rough plan and are sticking to it, I don't think trust and whatever comes into it really, I'm not sure trust comes in to it unless they are pushing the hardware really hard, then I'm going to see what reliability is like before jumping in.

trust and shame are a huge part of Japanese culture. I should know. /s

But really Sony has to do what's best for them and the things that convinced me for the PS4 were power, price, transparency, and innovation in things like PSVR and PSNow.

MS is taking the same playbook and running with it entering this coming generation and so they have my attention. That's what I value and where I will spend my money. I'm not saying Sony can't turn it around but right not there's nothing to trust them on because we have very little that we know for sure. They earned last generation and they will need to do the same this coming one to retain me as a customer. I'm not just going to give them money based on a brand name.

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
typically when someone posts wow. what a coincidence, they are being facetious. like wow, no wonder that guy got fired.

thats how i read your post. if that wasnt the case then i apologize. no harm no foul.
Ahhh.. yeah, I'm a fanboy for sure. But I don't like if people are fired or let go or any of that kind of stuff. That's a whole other level of wildness. Cheers.

Oct 31, 2019
This is around the time they stopped reporting unit sales. Hopefully the conclusion Zhuge made is painfully obvious to most.
We do not know in numbers perhaps but I believe One X started to turn things around for MS and made future plans viable enough to release another console, let alone two (Series X and Lockhart) and go all in for at least one of them.

One X is where the've learned that going for more power is a gamble worth pursuing so much so that they may eat into some of the PC landscape as well, maybe not high end or enthusiast class but people who doesn't care about 'can I run this on my rig with this config' while still providing high res and performance than rival manufacturer's premium console.
So Series X is going all in from what they've learned this gen and amplified by not being hamstrung with Kinect 'you are the controller', Xbox watch TV, snap to NBA, a.k.a. Mattrick Box

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
We do not know in numbers perhaps but I believe One X started to turn things around for MS and made future plans viable enough to release another console, let alone two (Series X and Lockhart) and go all in for at least one of them.

One X is where the've learned that going for more power is a gamble worth pursuing so much so that they may eat into some of the PC landscape as well, maybe not high end or enthusiast class but people who doesn't care about 'can I run this on my rig with this config' while still providing high res and performance than rival manufacturer's premium console.
So Series X is going all in from what they've learned this gen and amplified by not being hamstrung with Kinect 'you are the controller', Xbox watch TV, snap to NBA, a.k.a. Mattrick Box
It was Game Pass, not the One X. "Netflix for games" is the dream they are pursuing, consoles are just one part of that.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see it at all

Xbox was a Ballmer-era product, and selling consumer gaming hardware was increasingly removed from Nadella-era Microsoft's focus of enterprise/cloud software. As the Xbox One continued to…not be the market leader, it is not an exaggeration to say that there were serious discussions within Microsoft as to whether they even wanted to be in the console business.

What saved Xbox was the pitch to turn it into a more subscription-focused business, like most of Microsoft's other SaaS businesses.

This is well documented, so it's a curious thing to doubt.

Plus Xbox has never ever had a blank check.

It's an expression.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
We never knew a thing until E3 (or close to E3) over any holiday's new generation release, with the only exception of PS4, which was only partially unveiled by february 2013.
So I believe fans are quite a bit more anxious than they were in the past, demanding answers, yet Sony isn't particularly late in providing information.

nah I'm just going to debunk this myth as I was well into gaming during this time period.

PS3 was publicly revealed 18 months before its release back in May 2005 and didn't release until Nov 2006. PS2 was reveal more than a year before launch.

The PS4 was the shortest reveal to launch period we've had from them, but it looks like the PS5 could be even shorter so no, this may be very late for a reveal for a PlayStation console.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Picture it now...

Shock and horror as Sony reveals via Carrier pigeon that PS5 is only 9.2 TF RDNA 0.5 with only 300 Megarays compared to XSeX 9 Gigarays and RDNA 2.

But wait, what's this?

18.4 FUCKING TERAFLOPS OF PURE CELL 3 POWER?

And what's that?

ANOTHER 18.3 TF CELL 3 FOR 36.8 TERAFLOP POWER?

And what's that?

BECAUSE OF THE POWER OF THE CELL IT PREFORMS MORE LIKE 77.2 TERAFLOPS?

And what's this?

32 GBs OF HBM2E MEMORY AND A ZEN 3 CPU?

Microsoft declares bankruptcy the next day, Papa Phil sets the Microsoft HQ on fire.

What is this stream of consciousness? LMAO

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I think you need to listen to what Phill as said already.
I have.

from gamespot:
A few months later, Spencer took over as head of Xbox. Whatever jubilation he felt was short-lived; a few weeks into the job, he got a call from Satya Nadella, Microsoft's new CEO. "I don't actually know a whole lot about why we're in gaming," Nadella told him.
Spencer tried to work out what to say to Nadella. He looked at where Xbox had failed, and how the brand could be saved--if at all.
It seemed like a good time to ask that question. Spencer was facing a lot of internal scrutiny from his own team. Many developers who had worked on the Xbox One felt let down by Microsoft's big vision; it was, as some told Spencer, not in line with "the soul" of what Xbox was. "Satya was transparent that there could be a future where gaming isn't a business that Microsoft should be in," Spencer told me. "But it's better to have it above the table than below the table, right?" Spencer tried to work out what to say to Nadella. He looked at where Xbox had failed, and how the brand could be saved--if at all. When he finally called Nadella back, it was to say this: "If we're going to stay in the gaming space, then let's make sure we're all-in. The last thing I wanted to do was run the gaming organization here as kind of an afterthought of the company and kind of half-in, half-out. Let's go fix who we are."

I'm wondering when the period was where Xbox funding was cut. Since we know looking back. During that time XBox was actually ramping up working on One X and probably future of Scarlet architecture. Also not forgetting backroom talks of future acquistions were occuring at this time. etc Doesn't make sense. But whatever. Ill leave it at that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.