• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
That's absolutely possible on a technical level. A publisher just has to choose to support that feature.

With next gen, if someone buys a PS4/XB1 version of a game, it'll be compatible with the PS5/XSX, so isn't it the case that every game would technically be cross buy? Or do you think publishers will have different features available to the PS5/XSX versions of a game vs. the BC version? It would seem pretty annoying for developers to have to deal with that.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I seriously doubt Rockstar will give out free upgrades to RDR2, or any of their currently released tittles.

Also, has it been confirmed that it's mandated by MS? For all we know, it could just be an initiative by CDPR.

And finally, it's not directed at you, but people should differentiate between remakes , and remaster. They're entirely different animals, just look at SOTC, or MediEvil, and compare them to their original release.
It is not mandated by Microsoft. If you read their blog post it says it will be standard on all Microsoft Game Studio games and that it will be an option for third parties. CD Project Red just became the first third party studio to confirm their game will take advantage. Such a pro consumer move, I really hope more studios will jump on the bandwagon.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
4K performance is relevant because consoles will target 4K, also these cards tend to be more CPU limited at 1440p, testing 37 games will involve a lot of non GPU intensive games, which will be CPU limited at 1440p and the margins will be closer. 4K separates the wheat from the shaft.

If RDNA 2 is just RDNA 1 + RT + VRS, then Turing comparisons are relevant.

Bro... If VRS gets you a 10-15% boost that already closes the gap.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Let me get this straight, MS announces at 9AM EST this morning and you think the silence in the last 4 hours speaks for itself? Unless the communication plan was to have the announcement ready to go when MS announces this is senseless. What did Microsoft's silence up to this morning speak to?

These are large corporations, not gas stations competing across the street.
Silence wasn't the best word. The lack of detailed information about PS5 is what speaks for itselfs. I know they have their own plan and that there are probably multiple reasons for why they do things the way they do, but that doesn't change how I feel about it. Which was the intent of my post, to describe how I feel about Sony's approach this time around.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It is not mandated by Microsoft. If you read their blog post it says it will be standard on all Microsoft Game Studio games and that it will be an option for third parties. CD Project Red just became the first third party studio to confirm their game will take advantage. Such a pro consumer move, I really hope more studios will jump on the bandwagon.

Ah okay that clears up my confusion with MS highlighting this. They aren't forcing developers/pubs.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Here's a thought.

There is no gap for Sony to close.

XSX is at 12TF. We don't know what the performance of the PS5 is at.

It is all good. Some people are scrambling to close some gap no one knows exists.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
As a PlayStation fan these specs makes me giddy about next gen. Hopefully the PS5 specs are similar.

Question to XBox fans here, honestly if Sony tomorrow announced that the PS5 is a 13TF machine with little bit better specs than Series X would even be bothered?

I'll be getting both but no, I wouldn't change my primary system over 3 entire TF. Controller and ecosystem determine my #1 platform. The other one is for exclusives not available on PC.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I just dont understand why one of these insiders/leakers can't come out and say "___is more powerful than ___" straight up. Why all the vague teasing? Will they be hunted down and assassinated by Sony/MS hitmen if they say something? Or do they just like stringing people along because they enjoy knowing something others don't?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
With next gen, if someone buys a PS4/XB1 version of a game, it'll be compatible with the PS5/XSX, so isn't it the case that every game would technically be cross buy? Or do you think publishers will have different features available to the PS5/XSX versions of a game vs. the BC version? It would seem pretty annoying for developers to have to deal with that.
You can play an XBO game on the SX, but it unless you own the SX version of the game (either through Smart Delivery or buying it separately), you won't be playing the SX version, just the BC XBO version.

Muhammad

Mar 6, 2018
Turing with VRS = 10% ahead of RDNA1
Turing with VRS = 0% ahead of RDNA2

Does that help contextualize?
First: that margin is not just 10%, it's like 20%, a 9TF NVIDIA Turing beats a 9.7TF AMD GPU by 10%, that's 10% and another 10% from the TF difference, which is 20%.

Second: Truing is 20% ahead of RDNA1 WITHOUT VRS, with it that margin extends to 30%.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On the PS4 disks and digital licenses have separate metadata, that's why your disk install can't just turn into a digital install.

Xbox One doesn't have this problem because the system was designed from the beginning for the disk to just be another install medium for the same exact digital copy. It's a leftover benefit of their original "no used games + always online" design.
It is also the way the package files are delivered. You can't just receive the digital eboot to make it a digital version. It can work the other way around though. Digital copies can be turned into physical ones.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I just dont understand why one of these insiders/leakers can't come out and say "___is more powerful than ___" straight up. Why all the vague teasing? Will they be hunted down and assassinated by Sony/MS hitmen if they say something? Or do they just like stringing people along because they enjoy knowing something others don't?

Maybe the answer is complicated? A TF number wouldn't tell the entire story to begin with

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
They aren't sure. Even Digital Foundry is not sure, and they've always got people telling them stuff when it's out there in the development community. We'll know soon enough though. Sony can't keep that info bottled up for too much longer. My guess is around GDC time we know the PS5 specs.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Announcing something is a very different thing than commenting on, confirming, or hinting at something for many, many reasons.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Actually, you know what, since I don't visit this thread, there's no point in me maybe getting tagged a month or so down the line for my take.

I wholly concede the 12TF nonsense. I was absolutely and completely wrong. I expected beastly 10-11TF consoles but MS went above even those expectations. Kudos to them.

Ricky Ricardo zedox and whoever else I missed.
Your entire argument was premised on Microsoft using GCN figures when they made the two times calculation. That eas something that Bosch similarly argued and then there was the conversion if I remember correctly.

Today, you have moved goalposts even when there was a statement that it was 12TF RDNA2.
hmqgg was wrong about RDNA2 unless you want to believe they completely changed architecture in a few months
About the only thing he has got wrong. Similar to how so many insiders on here were wrong about Lockhart being cancelled.
You think they were shit on any more than Reiner and Klee who said PS5 was more powerful? Do you remember this place after Reiner's statements?
Let me state this again. If you are an insider, spill the beans or keep your mouth shut if the information is sensitive. People have their preferred platforms, and that is what they are rooting for. This vague stuff is what brings bad faith debate on this topic.

I also stated that if you have information and you widh to share, what happens? You source flrom different people before you post. Either way, we will soon know who got it wrong and who got it right.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Now that we officially know the power of XSX, I wonder if what Albert Penello knew about Microsoft's plan from years ago is actually still confirmed, or maybe he is also surprised how strong the new Xbox will be, because so much has changed since he left. As I very much appreciate his information about the internal console design processes, I had the impression that Albert himself does not believ that Microsoft (and so Sony) will be able to deliver a console with such strong parameters as one of these companies has just confirmed... 12 TF RDNA2... Wow.

What was announced today was exactly the plan.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Would love to know -- how in the hell are Xbox not going to bother with VR with a console as powerful as that.

Forza VR would be stunning.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know why people crying for.

Xbox needs the power game and well done to MS. I am happy Spencer seems to be leading them back to the glory 360 days and now for games please.

Sony can release a less powerful console as long as the gap isn't huge and price is lower they will still be market leaders.

Last gen was a cluster fuck with MS. They literally insulted their whole fanbase with the used game fiasco, forced Kinect and being less powerful but more expensive. I doubt Sony will make any of those mistakes. If the PS5 is slightly less powerful and less expensive then it's going to be hard for those nearly 100 million PS4 users to jump ship to X. MS have done well getting most the specs out the way. But games will be deciding factor and the exclusive output from them needs to be a lot better than it was this gen.

TLT GAMING

Apr 9, 2018
i am saying MS will have the most powerful console, but will hold itself back with their play anywhere policy and they're development pipeline for current gen, next gen and Pc at the same time.
While Sony will have the weaker console, but will offer carefully crafted and optimized games for the hardware that will be better than bruteforcing games with resolution that were developed to run on hardware form Xbox one s to a pc with a 1050 ti...

it is because of that that GOW is better on a base ps4 than anything Ms has on Xbox one X.
Santa Monica optimized all assets, animations, lighting, to use the most out of a single system.

WHAT.....?????🤨

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019

Mind you this is just for next gen comparisons to Turing. I'm sure next gen NVIDIA will up the ante but that's expected. For now we can safely say XBOX Series X performs on par with a 2080S.
Turing is average 15% ahead of rdna1 WITHOUT vrs

Karate Kid

Banned
Jan 29, 2018
He doesn't even have MS inside info anymore.

"Insiders"

ERj4YtPXUAAapEw

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

No, not really. It does not make much sense at all!
Mind you this is just for next gen comparisons to Turing. I'm sure next gen NVIDIA will up the ante but that's expected. For now we can safely say XBOX Series X performs on par with a 2080S.
We actually do not know at all how RDNA 2 stacks up to Turing 12nm. Especially regarding the ever so important RT performance!

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
i am saying MS will have the most powerful console, but will hold itself back with their play anywhere policy and they're development pipeline for current gen, next gen and Pc at the same time.
While Sony will have the weaker console, but will offer carefully crafted and optimized games for the hardware that will be better than bruteforcing games with resolution that were developed to run on hardware form Xbox one s to a pc with a 1050 ti...

it is because of that that GOW is better on a base ps4 than anything Ms has on Xbox one X.
Santa Monica optimized all assets, animations, lighting, to use the most out of a single system.
Now to address your claim, developing for modern hardware is not the same as, say, PS2 or Sega Saturn, where you have to design your code toward specific hardware. Nowadays game developers works on much higher level of abstraction and game engines are designed to scale, otherwise it's dead on arrival since game engine are huge software projects and an engine with no reusability is a hug waste of effort for the team.

Why do Santa Monica Studio and Naughty Dog games look so good on supposedly weak hardware? It comes down to the simply fact that they have some of the industry's most talented artists, designers and engineers. For short, they are really good at what they do.

So yeah
tenor.gif

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So you can't comment or hint at which one you believe to be more powerful?
Well if you know something for a fact, you can't really "guess" it.

Ask any journalist in any field how much easier it is to find someone that will simply confirm information you already have vs. telling you something you don't already know.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
...?

"BC" version just means not the SX version if there is one and you don't own it for one reason or another.
If you buy a game that is released on any Xbox One platform and the Series X (and maybe Lockhart), the game delivered to you is the game native to the platform depending on the platform you own (starting with Halo Infinite for 1st party).

It only is "BC" if you play a game on the Series X or Lockhart that is not patched up to the Series X/Lockhart.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but Reiner and Klee did just that and they were harassed into shutting up.

Status
Not open for further replies.