• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
As a guess I would be pretty surprised if you had to purchase TLoU2 or GoT or other Sony PS5 titles separately from their PS4 SKUs, but that will be Sony's business decision. The technical capacity is there for any publisher that wants to use it.
PlayStation crossbuy is great, I used it for many games.

If I'm not mistaken, Cross-buy has so far worked only with digital purchases, but that was the consequence of PS4 not having the ability to load discs from old consoles. Many digital games were offered as PS3-PS4-Vita crossbuys.

But now, PS5 can also read PS4 discs. Sony needs to confirm if those old disc games will get a license for a download of PS5 version. Will PS4 games be able to be automatically patched for full PS5 use?

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, you know what, since I don't visit this thread, there's no point in me maybe getting tagged a month or so down the line for my take.

I wholly concede the 12TF nonsense. I was absolutely and completely wrong. I expected beastly 10-11TF consoles but MS went above even those expectations. Kudos to them.

Ricky Ricardo zedox and whoever else I missed.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
PlayStation crossbuy is great, I used it for many games.

If I'm not mistaken, Cross-buy has so far worked only with digital purchases, but that was the consequence of PS4 not having the ability to load discs from old consoles. Many digital games were offered as PS3-PS4-Vita crossbuys.

But now, PS5 can also read PS4 discs. Sony needs to confirm if those old disc games will get a license for a download of PS5 version. Will PS4 games be able to be automatically patched for full PS5 use?
That's absolutely possible on a technical level. A publisher just has to choose to support that feature.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
That is awesome! I really hope more third party developers choose to go this route. Depending on my money situation this fall I might not be able to afford the Series X (I'm trying to save enough!) and this would mean I can still purchase the games I want without having to double dip. Awesome!

Ubisoft is going that route.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
It's just Cross-Buy, they have had the option available to publishers for a long time now, and it will be available for PS4 to PS5 if a publisher wants to use it.
Do you know why they can't use this to convert disc installs to digital licenses? I feel like every aspect of digital licenses, cross saves, PS2 to PS4, etc are so clunky on PSN. I own so much digital PSN content and have little faith in Sony handling this well.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Question: Since we know Series X has a HDMI 2.1 (and PS5 will likely have it as well), what exactly does that mean for HDMI 2.0 and lower users? Will the consoles simply lower the output to the maximum data transfers those port versions allow?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
As a guess I would be pretty surprised if you had to purchase TLoU2 or GoT or other Sony PS5 titles separately from their PS4 SKUs, but that will be Sony's business decision. The technical capacity is there for any publisher that wants to use it.

Understood, thanks for the clarification on that.

I feel like a ton of third party developers will absolutely be doing this, we know MS definitely will because they're now comitted for at least a year. I'm sure Sony could do a remaster on PS5 and it'd probably sell just as well as anyone could imagine, but I'm hoping they give customers an inch here and do free upgrades for games coming out within this year at the very least. It's honestly what has me questioning whether or not to make purchases on their upcoming titles; I'll avoid buying it twice by waiting if I can.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Question: Since we know Series X has a HDMI 2.1 (and PS5 will likely have it as well), what exactly does that mean for HDMI 2.0 and lower users? Will the consoles simply lower the output to the maximum data transfers those port versions allow?
Yes. Just like HDMI 2 works just fine on HDMI 1.4. You will not have Variable Refresh Support, and you will not have 4k/120+ fps support. Everything else should be fine.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Alex and John.

IIRC, I am pretty sure I said something like: "will this thing really be 12 TF?" "If that is what 2x performance means that means we are dealing with an unprecedented console (compared with the most recent generations) in terms of thermals and wattage".
Richard then confirmed 12 TF right afterward.

Unprecedented Xbox Series X is.

Looking forward to what guys at DF have to say the new info that's been released, keep up the good work!

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Do you know why they can't use this to convert disc installs to digital licenses? I feel like every aspect of digital licenses, cross saves, PS2 to PS4, etc are so clunky on PSN. I own so much digital PSN content and have little faith in Sony handling this well.
This is one area where the XBO shines.

It's completely seamless. AFAIK, you have to redownload the entire game again on PS4.

Luck

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Now that we officially know the power of XSX, I wonder if what Albert Penello knew about Microsoft's plan from years ago is actually still confirmed, or maybe he is also surprised how strong the new Xbox will be, because so much has changed since he left. As I very much appreciate his information about the internal console design processes, I had the impression that Albert himself does not believ that Microsoft (and so Sony) will be able to deliver a console with such strong parameters as one of these companies has just confirmed... 12 TF RDNA2... Wow.

BranFlakes

Nov 5, 2017
"Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required."

I wonder what ps4 BC on ps5 will look like. I hope it will be something like xbox is doing where the games automatically take advantage of the new hardware.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
On the PS4 disks and digital licenses have separate metadata, that's why your disk install can't just turn into a digital install.

Xbox One doesn't have this problem because the system was designed from the beginning for the disk to just be another install medium for the same exact digital copy. It's a leftover benefit of their original "no used games + always online" design.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
It depends on the resolution and framerate how much data will go though the cable, if its more that the port can handle it will simply give a black screen. The ps5 or XbsX sees what port you have so its not like you get a black screen.

But tbh i kinda doubt we will see AAA 4k120fps games ( now or ever in the generation). Tv's with a hdmi 2.1 port are kinda rare, most 2020 tv's dont even have a 2.1 port. So most devs will go for more advanced AI, distruction and better graphics in native 4k than a framerate above 60fps.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, you know what, since I don't visit this thread, there's no point in me maybe getting tagged a month or so down the line for my take.

I wholly concede the 12TF nonsense. I was absolutely and completely wrong. I expected beastly 10-11TF consoles but MS went above even those expectations. Kudos to them.

don't worry my man we'll get it next time

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
On the PS4 disks and digital licenses have separate metadata, that's why your disk install can't just turn into a digital install.

Xbox One doesn't have this problem because the system was designed from the beginning for the disk to just be another install medium for the same exact digital copy. It's a leftover benefit of their original "no used games + always online" design.
I figured this, it's a leftover benefit of their orig plans.

I've said before....they weren't all bad.....

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
"Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required."

I wonder what ps4 BC on ps5 will look like. I hope it will be something like xbox is doing where the games automatically take advantage of the new hardware.
Per GitHub leak, PS5 has two backward compatibility modes which down-clock the GPU to match base PS4 and PS4 Pro's performance. But I think even if that's true, enabling next gen support should be relatively trivial for the developers.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Absolutely. Consoles have been inferior to a gaming PC for ages, and it's nice for them to be actually very competitive. I was going to upgrade my 1070 in the next few months, but now I'm having second thoughts. Just getting XSX at launch sounds much more attractive now.

To be fair its on par with a card that released last year. By the time these consoles are out there will be cards that are far and away above what's in these boxes. Obviously they'll be more expensive but the power gap will not change for those who want to invest.

Gdourado

Oct 1, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
So basically you're saying PS5 will hold Series X back?

i am saying MS will have the most powerful console, but will hold itself back with their play anywhere policy and they're development pipeline for current gen, next gen and Pc at the same time.
While Sony will have the weaker console, but will offer carefully crafted and optimized games for the hardware that will be better than bruteforcing games with resolution that were developed to run on hardware form Xbox one s to a pc with a 1050 ti...

it is because of that that GOW is better on a base ps4 than anything Ms has on Xbox one X.
Santa Monica optimized all assets, animations, lighting, to use the most out of a single system.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
i am saying MS will have the most powerful console, but will hold itself back with their play anywhere policy and they're development pipeline for current gen, next gen and Pc at the same time.
While Sony will have the weaker console, but will offer carefully crafted and optimized games for the hardware that will be better than bruteforcing games with resolution that were developed to run on hardware form Xbox one s to a pc with a 1050 ti...

it is because of that that GOW is better on a base ps4 than anything Ms has on Xbox one X.
Santa Monica optimized all assets, animations, lighting, to use the most out of a single system.
tenor.gif

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
Am assuming nothing from MS until E3 now since they have dumped most of the system info today.
We've been using Xbox Series X in our internal Takehome program and are energized by the feedback we've been receiving. At Xbox we value being open and transparent with you, and I'm proud to be able to share details about some of the technologies we are enabling for the next generation, and look forward to boldly sharing more as we head towards E3.
news.xbox.com

What You Can Expect From the Next Generation of Gaming - Xbox Wire

The future of gaming has never been more inspiring. Creativity in games is flourishing. New services empower you to discover more games—and bring you closer to the games and creators and streamers you love. The cloud creates a massive opportunity to stream console-quality games and play with the...

I expect more at GDC. https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/games/events/gdc-2020

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

It's all good dude. It's just games. We guess and we get things wrong (I get my predictions wrong). And to be fair about this whole thing, neither MS nor Sony is using "RDNA"... these are custom chips using features from those technologies. These aren't straight up PC chips. The same thing when they were "GCN"...

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Did MS release an actual spec sheet? I feel like I'm totally missing what everyone is gushing over.

Nothing new as far as I can see. But it's proper confirmation on things that were vague or not 100% confirmed.

That's a good thing as people like to twist vagaries to their own narrative.

(That's not the right use of vagaries but you get my jist)

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

Guess that's something I can say, too. I wasn't convinced about the 12TF number until MS confirmed it, and they did. So there's that 👍

WesleyShark

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I'm trying to follow what you're saying here, but I'm feeling pretty lost lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.