• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
The XSX being 12 pretty much defeats the whole PS5 9TF "leak". Why would both Sony and MS be working with the same architecture, yet somehow PS5 loses 3TF?
I am not saying who is right and who is wrong here, but you can get the same model cars with the same engines with different horse powers..

Both sides need to calm down until sony shows their hand.

renx

Jan 3, 2020
Alex and John.

IIRC, I am pretty sure I said something like: "will this thing really be 12 TF?" "If that is what 2x performance means that means we are dealing with an unprecedented console (compared with the most recent generations) in terms of thermals and wattage".
Richard then confirmed 12 TF right afterward.

Unprecedented Xbox Series X is.

Hey, Alex. It's been 3 hours already. Where's the video with the three of you talking about this? :P

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Alex and John.

IIRC, I am pretty sure I said something like: "will this thing really be 12 TF?" "If that is what 2x performance means that means we are dealing with an unprecedented console (compared with the most recent generations) in terms of thermals and wattage".
Richard then confirmed 12 TF right afterward.

Unprecedented Xbox Series X is.
This is exactly how I remembered it. As always DF is doing a great job putting things into context. Can't wait for the video where Richard is showing off some of the GPU comparisons with the new specs in mind (like he did just recently).

TLT GAMING

Apr 9, 2018
Even $700 is considerably more than what people are used to in the console space.
Hence why I'm not clear on why you think that those saying that you can't fit 12TF into a regular console price this year were wrong.
I myself will be pleasantly surprised if MS will be able to sell XSX with such specs at $499 at launch. I'm expecting more than that currently.

PS5 is surely 13.08TF then.

....and the cost? With all the talk of Sony being concerned with price the PS5 needs to be more powerful or spec matched with the Series X to justify something greater than $500 IMHO.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New node process are more expensive not less and xsx looks quite more impressive even than xox in 2017
good thing they have more than $100 to play with this gen because they no longer have to include a $75 kinect with each console at launch and are willing to take a loss this gen. of course its more impressive than the xox in 2017, that was a made for profit mid gen refresh. these new consoles will be sold for a loss now that they are getting millions of online subs every month and 30% of digital revenue from 50-60% of all games sold. that was not the case last gen.

they were both going to push each other on specs this time around. which meant taking a loss. we were always going to get far better specs from last gen. sub 10 tflops was a joke.

Yep some people seem to have short terms memories that don't last more than a few months.
Everything that team realistic said was not possible and sometimes mock people about end up being true .
Some people were saying this is the sort specs we would get 2 plus years ago and give there reasons .
It okay to say you don't think some thing possible but how they went about it was rude sometimes to other member's.
this. it was all supposed to be fun and games but soon predicting double digit tflops became something akin to a political stance. lines were drawn and people were mocked as inferiors. also, klee was driven out over this shit.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I'm not trying to push the "Sony is doomed" traind, because that's a stupid notion, but in my opinion, their silence speaks for itself.
Would be happy to be wrong though.

Let me get this straight, MS announces at 9AM EST this morning and you think the silence in the last 4 hours speaks for itself? Unless the communication plan was to have the announcement ready to go when MS announces this is senseless. What did Microsoft's silence up to this morning speak to?

These are large corporations, not gas stations competing across the street.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Really impressive. I'm getting a PS5 but seriously if Microsoft can do this console with the Live/Gamepass monthly subscription for £30 a month 2 year contract or less I would absolutely get this at launch. Gamepass would give me probably every game on the system I'd want to play. If the Flight Sim game is out within the first year then I'm on that train.

Jun 23, 2019
I am not saying who is right and who is wrong here, but you can get the same model cars with the same engines with different horse powers..

Both sides need to calm down until sony shows their hand.

lol PS fans are just sitting here waiting for news while other people are running around saying everything from PS5 is 9TFs to Sony can't match MS power and money wise to everything in between. This forum has been the equivalent of Squidward looking outside his window while Patrick and Spongebob play outside.

Crazy_KiD_169

Jun 21, 2018
Let me get this straight, MS announces at 9AM EST this morning and you think the silence in the last 4 hours speaks for itself? Unless the communication plan was to have the announcement ready to go when MS announces this is senseless. What did Microsoft's silence up to this morning speak to?

These are large corporations, not gas stations competing across the street.
If anything this could mean that Sony will reveal the specs soon as well. But they are sticking to their plans. Sony is not going to change their schedule based off what Microsoft is doing.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
The XSX being 12 pretty much defeats the whole PS5 9TF "leak". Why would both Sony and MS be working with the same architecture, yet somehow PS5 loses 3TF?
What were the companies gunning for when they designed the consoles? If you looked at the mid gen refresh, Sony was looking for something that could hit $400 and do something that mimicked 4K. Microsoft was looking to hit native 4K, but that came at a cost.

It all depends on what tje design goals are, what bets are being made, and what is the target price that a company is looking at.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
So very curious about PS5. Really don't know how it's going to play out, power-wise. I'm anticipating it being less powerful than Series X, but by how much? Who knows. And maybe it will end up equal or more powerful. Who knows.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Wonder if we'll get what's after the decimal point at gdc...

There is a budget and where that budget gets spent changes the end result. The Xbox isn't cheap to make and a lot of the money went into the chip itself. Sony is spending some of their budget on things like new controller features etc. They have different priorities it doesn't mean one or the other fucked up.

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying the drip feed of Xbox Series X news. Confirmation that at least one major publisher plans to allow cross-buy across generations is also awesome news.

I have no doubts that PS5 is going to be a well engineered machine. But as far as marketing strategy, if they were more powerful than 12 TF, they would have nothing to lose and everything to gain by announcing that ASAP. Xbox drip feed of news, especially on power, would lose impact if we had confirmation PS5 is 13 TF for example.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Why would Microsoft care about ruining Sony's reveal? If you have the most powerful system on the market you don't hold back on claiming that. This has been true for every system released since the 16 bit era. Hell, you can even look at the marketing behind the One X. Microsoft was screaming from the rooftops about how powerful that thing was.
The difference is that the PS4 Pro was already on the market. Starting that they had the more powerful system in the One X was just a factual statement at that point. Nobody knows what the PS5 looks like GPU wise yet. You don't go around crowing about how much better your system is when the competition hasn't put out any numbers yet!

Oct 27, 2017
lol PS fans are just sitting here waiting for news while other people are running around saying everything from PS5 is 9TFs to Sony can't match MS power and money wise to everything in between. This forum has been the equivalent of Squidward looking outside his window while Patrick and Spongebob play outside.
Lol, when the cat is away, the mice will play.

I want the sony specs so that threads can be separated. It is time

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Yup, at this point there is no need keeping TF numbers a secret. Andnowallf a sudden sony's silence on specs seems purposeful.

The logical conclusion is that they are not as powerful as the XSX, hence why they aren't talking about it.

Its one thing to not talk about any specs, its another thing to talk about some and leave some out.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
....and the cost? With all the talk of Sony being concerned with price the PS5 needs to be more powerful or spec matched with the Series X to justify something greater than $500 IMHO.
I'm fairly certain that Sony will aim at a lower priced but slower console this time around. MS has Lockhart for the budget minded market, Sony doesn't so they really can't put PS5 above XSX if they want to sell this thing in any quantities.
It will be interesting for sure but tbh this is how things were since XBX launch really and I'm expecting the gap between PS5 and XSX to be smaller than it is between Pro and XBX.
I do wonder if Sony would be better off with two PS5 SKUs as well, though.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Form factor and TDP -> nothing we've ever seen before in the console world.
405mm^2 die on a 7nm node -> probably x2 more expensive than the PS4 APU.

The XSX isn't a given, it's a wonder.
we have seen GPUs and CPUs take well over 400mm2 in consoles before. Xbox 360 was 438mm2 for the discrete cpu, gpu and edram. ps2 was 519mm2 for both the cpu and gpu. ps3 was 493mm2.

i remember posting this many many times.

ps3 routintely hit over 200w during gameplay.

this was all discussed over and over again. just because MS came up with a big design doesnt mean that was a miracle of engineering or something no one couldve foreseen. we have been saying wide and slow for over a year now. its not rocket science, just some users refusing to look past their blindspots.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The difference is that the PS4 Pro was already on the market. Starting that they had the more powerful system in the One X was just a factual statement at that point. Nobody knows what the PS5 looks like GPU wise yet. You don't go around crowing about how much better your system is when the competition hasn't put out any numbers yet!

The PS4 Pro was not on the market .
When MS said they had the most powerful console at E3 time the PS4 Pro was not even official announce .

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Yep some people seem to have short terms memories that don't last more than a few months.
Everything that team realistic said was not possible and sometimes mock people about end up being true .
Some people were saying this is the sort specs we would get 2 plus years ago and give there reasons .
It okay to say you don't think some thing possible but how they went about it was rude sometimes to other member's.

Reading team realistic's predictions now is pure comedy.

Weren't the very original Anaconda specs 12tf?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yup, at this point there is no need keeping TF numbers a secret. Andnowallf a sudden sony's silence on specs seems purposeful.

The logical conclusion is that they are not as powerful as the XSX, hence why they aren't talking about it.

Its one thing to not talk about any specs, its another thing to talk about some and leave some out.
Anything is possible; neither product is available for pre-order.. that's really the only "deadline" anyone has.

Sony could be preparing a hype killing announcement for right near pre-order availability.. or they could be being quiet hoping to wow people with actual game footage but not specs.

Crazy_KiD_169

Jun 21, 2018

Or they are sticking to their schedule, your conclusion is far from logical.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly certain that Sony will aim at a lower priced but slower console this time around. MS has Lockhart for the budget minded market, Sony doesn't so they really can't put PS5 above XSX if they want to sell this thing in any quantities.
It will be interesting for sure but tbh this is how things were since XBX launch really and I'm expecting the gap between PS5 and XSX to be smaller than it is between Pro and XBX.

Making 2 SKU's really would be some last minute panicking on Sony's part and I cant see them doing that.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

at this point, i almost want it 9.2 tflops to be true because at least that would make some sense out of this bizarre marketing strategy by Sony.

if they were more powerful like the insiders suggested, they would've/should've been screaming it at the top of their lungs like MS has been.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

The last time they gave a us new info was last year Oct .
Since then they have not talk about anything new other than showing off a logo.
So what are they leaving out when MS was only clear about there specs today and they still some info missing ?

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017

Now I expect the PS5 to be less powerful than the Series X but also quite significantly cheaper, like at least 100$.
Sitting in the middle of Series S and X isn't that bad of a place to market, best bang for your buck and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.