• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a proper 12 tflops, my friend. Doesn't matter if they were wrong, I'd be happy to be wrong about this if I was them. This is amazing news, holy crap - We really needed this. Microsoft is capatilizing on Sony's recent bad news (depends on how you view it).

Okay cool. Just feels like some people need to downplay next gen as much as possible. It's usually from a subset of hardcore PC gamers. Disappointing tbh.

Console and PC are going to be closer than ever next gen with the 4x CPU boost leading to many more 60fps titles 😊

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
I stand corrected. Perhaps then only Benji's deleted tweet was the only one that mentioned dev kit having 12.9TF (presumably GCN).
Honestly any devkit using GCN is bullshit, it's the same argument people used on Series X, when they revealed 2x one x performance.

It never was GCN. Next gen consoles are RDNA architecture.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
So, it seems games will be one sku, with an upgrade depending on which system you are playing it on(1x/xsx). That's nice, but I hate the thought of downloading massive amounts of data for one game. Just give me the option to buy the xsx sku. 😔
I was under the impression the system would only download the correct version with their Smart Delivery, so while there's one SKU you'd only download the data for the system you're playing on. I can't begin to guess at how the disc version will work though.

And after re-reading the article it's not clear, only implied by the name. Oh well, if it doesn't work like that I'm sure it will later after Xbox One discs are cleared out of the retail channel.

I am glad the XSX is doing multi-game suspend/resume, I speculated that the Playstation 5 would have that after they confirmed the SSD.

Jun 23, 2019
He said the devkit, at that time, was slightly stronger. If the difference is minimal, the power crown could go either way for the final specs.

He then clarified later after all the other MS insiders were coming out saying 12TF was that he knew about it and that it still didn't change his initial statement about PS5 being slightly stronger.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
So given what we know about the XBX specs, is it possible to create an estimate for how much a similiarly-powerful PC would be to make from scratch?

Oct 31, 2019
As you are relatively new to the OT I recommend to read some of my remarks in the last OTs I provided with my predictions that explain why I prefer to use (legit) data (Github) instead of word of unknown sources. Unfortunately I post a lot. Hope you will find it.
no time fo dat unfortunately
image of chip=legit smoking gun, Github=might be legit but lacking any context doesn't mean the thing you think it does, it might as well be a chip for PS4 Pro Super Slim on a lower nm fab.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
So I think that only RDNA 2 architecture has RT in it and finally all the vestigial parts of GCN removed. So if MS is using RDNA 2 it is literally not possible for Sony to use RDNA 1 or 1.5 or whatever it's internal name was for 5700 GPUs.

So if MS is 12 TF, then it renders the argument for 9 or 9.x TF of PS5 moot. It is impossible for a console to have a last gen architecture in this day and age if they are both supplied by the same source ie. AMD.

Colbert I don't know what pushes you to believe GitHub as gospel god's honest truth and base your prediction on that but please come to your senses.
Why would it be impossible though? We still don't know Sony's priorities/design thinking. AMD already has GPUs on the market using RDNA and Sony might have preferred a cheaper deal from AMD and somehow older architecture gives them that. It's all about priorities and we won't know who placed the winning bet until after both consoles are on the market.

Also, similar to MS during Xbox One's design, Sony might place the wrong bets. If for example, rising secondary component prices end up making a set price point prohibitive, you could end up in a situation where GPU price savings from using older technology don't really matter (so basically an inverted situation to what happened between the PS4's and One's final BOMs where Sony was lucky with GDRR5 prices going down).

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Smart Delivery is the feature that haven't been revealed yet that devs are excited about?

But MS already does this, right?

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
I mean, I guess it works. But feels weird knowing that no one is sitting there. It would be better with some comfy couch and a small panel?

They had to improvise it quickly enough for the Xperia
We can imagine that they work a little more for the reveal of the PS5 if it were to be done thus, by inviting for example some employees on the spot to give the illusion of an audience.

Do we know for sure they meant similar to PS4 and not PS4 pro?

We are sure, he was talking about PS4.

The PS4 Pro had a reveal very close to the release because it was only an upgrade of the same console reading the same games.

For PS5, they must allow time for third-party publishers to advertise their PS5 games or PS5 versions correctly

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Klees comments were so vauge, I'm not sure exactly what he said. And I think that's the point.
They weren't though... He was right about a lot. Now most recently this. He not only tried to dispell any notion of it being GCN based, he specifically said not only 12, but slightly above 12 tflops (about 12.1) and again, RDNA.

Being right about the PS5 as well, would be amazing. I think he will be! 😊

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
For the Smart Delivery, I would imagine that the retail versions would either be the X1 or Series X versions packaging, with the corresponding version on the disc. If you have the X1 version disc and put it in the Series X, I would imagine that it would have to download the entire Series X version and vice versa. I don't think the SSD version would be able to reuse the same assets from the "normal" X1 version.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif
Lmfao

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Honestly any devkit using GCN is bullshit, it's the same argument people used on Series X, when they revealed 2x one x performance.

It never was GCN. Next gen consoles are RDNA architecture.

You could be right. But the earliest prototype dev kits don't generally have final silicon. And the first generation Navi tops of out 40CU and 9.75TF at peak clock.

So, given the timeline of events (iirc), big Navi wasn't even a thing (presumably beyond the planning and design stage) when Benji's tweet came out. As for first Navi of 40CU, it'd have to be clocked at 2.51GHz.

Of course, I could very well be wrong and the semi-custom nature of GPU means that some forward looking prototypes were fabbed for dev kits in late 2018 that got iterated over the years.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
VX1 said:
Lockhart will launch together with Series X, as most of us expected:

?

Where exactly is the info confirming Lockhart is launching alongside XSX??

I thought the latest rumors said it was likely coming in 2021 or beyond (if they don't cancel it)..which I think is the much better strat then trying to launch two skus.

Gdourado

Oct 1, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
This 12 tflops sound really great and the console will be impressive from the hardware perspective.

but at this time, I fear that if the ps5 is weaker at around 9 tflops, that will hurt Xbox series X.

multiplatform games will have to be developed with the weakest common denominator in mind.
Much like today with pro and X.
Games will be developed for the ps5 and just have a resolution increase for Xbox.
first party MS games will not take real advantage of the hardware also.
First because Ms won't have next gen exclusives for the first two years.
Second because MS doesn't have platform exclusives at all since all their first party games will also be on PC, which is the most fragmented gaming platform in existence.

On the other hand, even with just 9 tflops, Sony will have Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Insomniac... all producing AAA platform exclusives that will be crafted and optimized solely for the ps5 hardware.

that's why I am feeling that MS will have a lot of wasted potential when it comes to actual games and gaming experiences.

Jun 23, 2019
They weren't though... He was right about a lot. Now most recently this. He not only tried to dispell any notion of it being GCN based, he specifically said not only 12, but slightly above 12 tflops (about 12.1) and again, RDNA.

Being right about the PS5 as well, would be amazing. I think he will be! 😊

ResetEra servers will not survive the PS5 unveiling

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Just looking back, and this was my first prediction on anything next gen, which I believe was for PS5? Can't really remember. Made November 2, 2017

www.resetera.com

PS5 and next Xbox launch speculation - timing and specification

I want them to get the hardware design a bit better, and their OS end in terms of security stuff. I hear about Pro consoles being loud as ass and aesthetically I think they rushed that thing out too damn quick, it doesn't look like they were ready to get it out the door. It's worth mentioning...

I'm thinking November 2020 for $399.

3TB HDD

13TFlops
24GB RAM
3.2GHz CPU

I might get half of it right! Didn't think we'd get SSD's, and I was unfortunately optimistic on RAM.

My general predictions for next gen was to double the Xbox One X in practically every category. GPU did, CPU looks to be right on the money if not even a bit higher, and an NVME SSD is massively ahead of any HDD.

Quite pleased with the tech in the Series X.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This 12 tflops sound really great and the console will be impressive from the hardware perspective.

but at this time, I fear that if the ps5 is weaker at around 9 tflops, that will hurt Xbox series X.

multiplatform games will have to be developed with the weakest common denominator in mind.
Much like today with pro and X.
Games will be developed for the ps5 and just have a resolution increase for Xbox.
first party MS games will not take real advantage of the hardware also.
First because Ms won't have next gen exclusives for the first two years.
Second because MS doesn't have platform exclusives at all since all their first party games will also be on PC, which is the most fragmented gaming platform in existence.

On the other hand, even with just 9 tflops, Sony will have Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Insomniac... all producing AAA platform exclusives that will be crafted and optimized solely for the ps5 hardware.

that's why I am feeling that MS will have a lot of wasted potential when it comes to actual games and gaming experiences.

Well, first off extra resolution is nice. Its not just less jaggies, its more detail in every texture and environment (you literally have more detail comprising the scene). So even just higher resolution is not a bad thing. It could also mean more RayTracing and other things though. One X vs PS4 have some nice differences in the One X department and that is all the bare minimum upscale already.

Jan 21, 2019
No they are NOT.
The 2070 Super is a 9TF GPU that is 15% faster than 5700XT which is 9.7TF GPU, that is more than 10% difference.
www.techspot.com

GeForce RTX 2070 Super vs. Radeon RX 5700 XT: 37 Game Benchmark

Today we're looking at how the $400 Radeon RX 5700 XT and $500 GeForce RTX 2070 Super compare head to head in a massive 37 game benchmark....

It's more like 6% on average. Where the hell did you get the 15% figure?

From that 2% margin at launch, we now find that the 5700 XT is 6% slower at 1440p with 37 games. Not exactly an earth shattering change but a change nonetheless. While the 5700 XT is roughly $100 (20% cheaper) than the 2070 Super, it was never 20% slower at 1440p.

And as another poster has pointed out, if you consider the wattage, they are even closer in TF count.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not something I'm all that invested in, outside of the intellectual exercise. I'm buying the PS5 either way. The XSX almost certainly not no matter what the specs are.

The specifications of both machines are common knowledge by everyone making next gen games and has been for months now. Our "insiders" were having conversations with devs a very long time ago that confirmed this. Gaming journalists were having conversations that confirmed this. Microsoft wouldn't need "access to sensitive information" to know if there was a significant power gap between the two systems, it would be common knowledge.

None of these people are going to write an article or post that info on a message board, but claiming microsoft would have "no idea" that the PS5 was significantly less powerful than their own system by now is a strange assertion.

My favorite part of this entire thing as someone buying both consoles when they drop is you claim to not be invested yet then go on to state you're only buying a PS5 and will never touch an Xbox. Sure my guy, you are invested or defending what's been rumored for PS5 because you are fanboying it's purely for intellectual discussion Smfh.

Microsoft has been hitting home runs so far on how they are presenting it, the specs, etc. Sony's game has been rain delayed and if it takes a lot longer might be rescheduled (not in console release date but analogy wise) dragging their feet can either work in their favor or very quickly against them and the longer it goes the more the latter seems likely

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
This helped me decide I'm getting XSX. Just need to see if I'm getting PS5 too.

Legit query:

Isn't this platform agnostic issue though? Given the architectural similarity, this forward conversion seems like it would be more a publisher to publisher choice (where MS have already stated their own business model).

Of course, that said, I think the implication here is loss of potential revenue from license sold per unit for the platform holders which is why Sony would explicitly have to agree to this model.

Status
Not open for further replies.