• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
You..... can't wait for low-resolution / low-framerate titles? I know we're doomed to never escape slideshow games because cinematic, but it's weird to be excited about it.
I am waiting for games that will push the hardware to the max, and actually use assets that will push the visuals even higher by forcing devs to compromise on resolution on THIS hardware. By that time, there will be stronger PCs and stronger [midgen] consoles.

And IMO, native 4K is not needed throughout entire gen, checkerboard/temporal upscale techniques are more than good enough and they allow saving of so much performance.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If the PS5 actually was 9.x TF to the 12 TF XSX, Microsoft would be very aware of it, whether Sony "revealed" or not. Claiming "most powerful next gen console" would be simple, but instead there's the "our most powerful system" qualifier that keeps popping up.

They're simply not sure.
Exactly that, & they can easily change the messaging if the PS5 turns out to be weaker.

Jan 21, 2019
You..... can't wait for low-resolution / low-framerate titles? I know we're doomed to never escape slideshow games because cinematic, but it's weird to be excited about it.
They are saying that they want the best graphics (prettiest pixels) possible on these machines. 4K/60 means less graphical fidelity. It's a fair point and one I can get behind, even though I prefer 60.

I personally am Team never above 1440P. Upscaling techniques with better graphics or framerate is so much more important than native resolution nonsense. Especially considering how awesome upscaling tech is getting.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I would presume people at Microsoft already have access to a PS5 Dev-kit for the inevitable 'Minecraft PS5' port. In which case lawsuits for breaking NDA would go flying if they so much as sneezed a hint at these specs in any marketing materials.
Doubtful. If they have anything it's probably prototype 1 at best.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Microsoft is really forcing Sony's hand here. They look confident enough in their specs to show it while details from your competitor have been scarce. Either the specs caught Sony by surprise and they are doing last-minute changes (RAM count, frequency bump from silicon optimization) or Sony feels it's a little early. I think it's the former.

If Sony's specs are numerically inferior (at least for the ones that MS's publicly now shared) then you can bet your bottom dollar that their strategy will be to feature PS5 titles as tip of the marketing spear.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I would presume people at Microsoft already have access to a PS5 Dev-kit for the inevitable 'Minecraft PS5' port. In which case lawsuits for breaking NDA would go flying if they so much as sneezed a hint at these specs in any marketing materials.

This would not qualify as "breaking NDA" because NDA's don't work that way. You aren't revealing anything about the Playstation 5. Only making a claim about your own system that will either hold up or not when Sony eventually launches their system.

honestly people.

Exactly that, & they can easily change the messaging if the PS5 turns out to be weaker.

That's the thing, if the gap between the systems was 9.x to 12TF, microsoft would be well aware of it. "not sure" means that it's somewhere close- and in that case you don't make definitive claims because they can backfire on you. They certainly CAN change the messaging if the PS5 turns out to be the weaker of the two, but "not being sure" at this point means that whatever the PS5 is, it's DEFINITELY not 9.xTF.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
So series x is using RDNA 2. The rumors that said series x using RDNA 1 or RDNA 1.5 just became wrong.

PS5 most likely using RDNA 2 since it has hardware RT.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. This kills the "PS5 is 9.x TF" argument stone dead.

The PS5 is either stronger than the XSX, or close enough that MS simply isn't sure. That wouldn't be the case with a 9.x TF to 12TF power gap.
Or, they're not being cocky about it? This says nothing about PlayStation but it could also be that they are w slightly weaker machine

Oct 25, 2017
This is an amazing goalpost move, one that completely disregards basic reading comprehension. This isn't unofficial information. Its about the most comprehensive set of information regarding the technical specifications of the machine you can get beyond an actual specs list.

*shrugs* No goalpost has been moved. Sorry, I see two different independent clauses which gives me pause. It's part of my profession to be skeptical of such clauses, so I remain skeptical.

I've already said I'd throw in the towel with something a little bit more definitive. But as of now, I see an official confirmation of unofficial information where my entire basis was on the way the information was presented.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This would not qualify as "breaking NDA" because NDA's don't work that way. You aren't revealing anything about the Playstation 5. Only making a claim about your own system that will either hold up or not when Sony eventually launches their system.

honestly people.

I can already tell in advance that you're one of the people who will struggle more if the PS5 spec's don't line up in the same way.

While I was only theorising of course, saying "our specs will be the highest this winter" is absolutely making a statement that some lawyer somewhere would try and claim is based off having access to sensitive information - because otherwise, how would you know?

Doubtful. If they have anything it's probably prototype 1 at best.

Minecraft is one of the biggest games on PlayStation. That's why I would theorise that Microsoft have access to a dev-kit already. How on earth do you qualify your statement? And what's that got to do with whether there'd be an NDA around it or not?

Last edited:

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Both competitors know the ballpark of their systems by now. Many, many many people are aware- they're just not going to broadcast that information publicly.

Again- it's nonsensical. This is business, not high school sports. If there's a marketing advantage to be had, you leverage it. And saying "The XSX is the most powerful next gen console" isn't "revealing Sony's specs."

Yes, it IS business. And like all businesses, if your lawyers push back on claims like this you have to scale them back. I've literally been in meetings where our house counsel made us alter expensive marketing materials because we made claims about a competitor's product that we KNEW were true but they hadn't announced yet. There's nothing definitive about carefully qualified statements... yet.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Yep. This kills the "PS5 is 9.x TF" argument stone dead.

The PS5 is either stronger than the XSX, or close enough that MS simply isn't sure. That wouldn't be the case with a 9.x TF to 12TF power gap.
This seems like some wishful thinking. Microsoft might have a good idea, but not be certain, so they're going to choose their words carefully for now. Microsoft is trying to show humility these days. The last thing you're going to see from them is loud and aggressive boasting about how great they or their box are.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
*shrugs* No goalpost has been moved. Sorry, I see two different independent clauses which gives me pause. It's part of my profession to be skeptical of such clauses, so I remain skeptical.

I've already said I'd throw in the towel with something a little bit more definitive. But as of now, I see an official confirmation of unofficial information where my entire basis was on the way the information was presented.
Multiple official Xbox Tweets have confirmed 12tf...how much more definite do you want to get?

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
MS confirmed a lot today, in a good way, and still Sony is silent since months.

Moreover, they withdraw from PAX East and more importantly from GDC. I was wondering since some weeks now, but I was still pretty sure they would reveal the PS5 before any news from MS... I'm not so confident about the PS5 specs anymore, especially now that we have the confirmation XSX is an absolute beast.

In the end, games will matter the most, but if remaining silent was not so bad until now, I really think they need to reveal something sooner than later to break the "MS momentum".

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it IS business. And like all businesses, if your lawyers push back on claims like this you have to scale them back. I've literally been in meetings where our house counsel made us alter expensive marketing materials because we made claims about a competitor's product that we KNEW were true but they hadn't announced yet. There's nothing definitive about carefully qualified statements... yet.

Yet they did that very thing with XBOX X before PS4pro was official or out .

OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
That is one damn beefy console, and I'm not gonna lie, I kinda like the shade thrown about "transparency."

Makes my little contest all the jucier.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
Let's see if Lockhart is still at 4TF.

zPEsFnG.png

TooLive

Jan 28, 2019
If the PS5 actually was 9.x TF to the 12 TF XSX, Microsoft would be very aware of it, whether Sony "revealed" or not. Claiming "most powerful next gen console" would be simple, but instead there's the "our most powerful system" qualifier that keeps popping up.

They're simply not sure.
Supposition! Your logic is flawed...

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is really forcing Sony's hand here. They look confident enough in their specs to show it while details from your competitor have been scarce. Either the specs caught Sony by surprise and they are doing last-minute changes (RAM count, frequency bump from silicon optimization) or Sony feels it's a little early. I think it's the former.
tbh, they have been doing this since 2018. they have been super confident through out and the game award reveal was something straight out of sony's book. ballsy, confident and bold. releasing specs in february when everyone else was expecting something from sony is just the cherry on top.

they have really turned their PR game around. its time to show off the games now.

as for Sony. i really dont want to get banned on such a momentous day.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
In what world is that toxic masculinity?
It's a figure of speech
In this world.
You can't hide behind "figure of speech". Most of them are full of rascisms and sexims, that's THE problem.
In that sepcific case, this is toxic masculinity because that implied "boys" are in charge, this is them who step up.
Don't get me wrong, that's far from the worst, but this is still part of the problem. Now you know, the choice is yours to continue using it or not.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Again, I'll point out he said the TF number AFTER multiple MS insiders had already been yelling it from the rooftops for weeks including our very own Tom Warren who was not believed at the time. Until, for some reason, an anonymous insider (Klee) also said it was the case. If anything, the 12TF comment from Klee was the one I would point to FIRST as an educated guess out of anything he's said.

I could be mis-remembering but I don't recall anyone other than Klee saying the TFs are actually very slightly higher than 12 other than Klee. Yes I know this came after others were saying 12 TFs, all I'm saying is that IF that were to be confirmed and it's a bit higher than 12 TF on the dot, that would lend some additional credibility to him. Again it wouldn't necessarily mean it validates every little thing he's said.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
To me (and let me emphasize, to me) this officially ends the "silently confident Sony".

One of the big players are very transparent, confident in their product, sharing new concrete information about it while the other says they're not ready to share yet.

I can't help myself, but feel Sony will fuck up this time.

On the other hand, I'm glad the Series X will be this powerful of a machine as that means I probably won't have to build a PC (I will wait and see Nvidia's offering though) and just buy the xsx.

Achillias

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Holy fucking shit, well fucking done Microsoft. I don't care how much it will cost, definitely going to get one on releasedate. 12 TF FTW 😄.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
So like every sensible person thought, the Series X is 12TF.

lol rip GCN comparisons

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, both consoles could be within a TF of each other and it wouldn't matter; they'd both be so powerful that either one would be a solid choice because we're not having to decide which one is the lesser compromise. That said, if PS5 was similar or more powerful, they wouldn't be pulling out of conferences and saying nothing at all. They would've put out little tidbits to steal Microsoft's thunder already.

Still, I gotta say: clicking "show ignored content" and reading through the last half dozen pages has been the most entertaining thing I've seen on site in months. Never change, speculation thread. Never change.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I can already tell in advance that you're one of the people who will struggle more if the PS5 spec's don't line up in the same way.

This is not something I'm all that invested in, outside of the intellectual exercise. I'm buying the PS5 either way. The XSX almost certainly not no matter what the specs are.

While I was only theorising of course, saying "our specs will be the highest this winter" is absolutely making a statement that some lawyer somewhere would try and claim is based off having access to sensitive information - because otherwise, how would you know?

The specifications of both machines are common knowledge by everyone making next gen games and has been for months now. Our "insiders" were having conversations with devs a very long time ago that confirmed this. Gaming journalists were having conversations that confirmed this. Microsoft wouldn't need "access to sensitive information" to know if there was a significant power gap between the two systems, it would be common knowledge.

None of these people are going to write an article or post that info on a message board, but claiming microsoft would have "no idea" that the PS5 was significantly less powerful than their own system by now is a strange assertion.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Can you give a name of a game as an example?
I generally play my games on PC 1440p/120. The games are just way more responsive and smooth. Going back to 30fps hurts.

Be it open world - AC Odyssey, Action Horror - RE2, or Souls - DS3.
Phantom pain for example feels much better at 30. At 60 or higher it feels as though you are skating on ice. The controls feel far too loose.

The movement also looks really artificial.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
tbh, they have been doing this since 2018. they have been super confident through out and the game award reveal was something straight out of sony's book. ballsy, confident and bold. releasing specs in february when everyone else was expecting something from sony is just the cherry on top.

they have really turned their PR game around. its time to show off the games now.

as for Sony. i really dont want to get banned on such a momentous day.

So Sony talking about there next gen system first while there old one selling good is not showing them being confident ?
I want more info from Sony just like everyone else but MS has more to prove than them and they making the right moves.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Minecraft is one of the biggest games on PlayStation. That's why I would theorise that Microsoft have access to a dev-kit already. How on earth do you qualify your statement? And what's that got to do with whether there'd be an NDA around it or not?
Why do they need a PS5 DevKit if it needs to run on PS4, Switch, etc?

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Time for some reflection.

When next gen talk started, people were saying 8TF GCN was the most realistic scenario, and no ssd.

What a pleasant turn of events. 😋

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston

I am an attorney who regularly deals with confidentiality clauses. I like nearly everyone on this forum have no idea what Sony's specs are. However, if MS was my client, and they did have access to confidential information, I would caution them from doing anything that could be construed as a leak because depending on the terms, it could be a breach of contract. That is assuming there is some type of development deal with Sony concerning Minecraft and PS5. With all that being said, I think it would be more likely they got info from a 3rd party and would not want to burn that developer, or maybe they really just don't know. Let's just wait to see what happens with Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.