• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtel

Oct 29, 2017
Am assuming nothing from MS until E3 now since they have dumped most of the system info today.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
None of this is relevant considering the CPU, SSD and RAM (in relative terms to the resolution) are the same. This is NOT the same thing as the Switch. The Switch is trying to hit the same resolution as the PS4 while having a totally different architecture, 1/7th of the memory bandwidth, half of the available memory and most importantly a weaker CPU than the 360. If it resembles anything, it's actually the Switch in dock VS undock mode which is exactly XSS VS XSX, the exact same console with the exact same architecture only with a lower TF GPU running the same game in lower resolution. Will developers need to optimize? Sure, but it's all a game of balancing graphics. Gameplay and level design have nothing to do with it.
I'm sorry but this just doesn't make sense. Did you read the post you responded to? There are huge performance differences between Lockhart and the XB1X, and it will not be a substitution in any sense. Lockhart will have something like 4x the CPU and 40x the storage performance - I don't see how that's comparable. And the XB1X is being replaced by the Series X as the premium, 4K version of the console. Lockhart is replacing the XB1S as the mainstream, 1080p option.

The cross-gen games thing is also a red herring. In November 2019 Matt Booty said "over the next year, two years," which means the time period only runs to about November 2021, and of course this only applies to MS first party games. So the only games affected by that policy are first-party games coming out after Series X launch (let's guess November 2020) but before November 2021. Here's the entire list of games affected by that policy:

Confirmed 2021:
- Grounded

Unannounced but could reasonably launch before November 2021, given usual dev times for the franchise:
- Forza Motorsport 8
- Forza Horizon 5

Could theoretically ship between next-gen launch and November 2021, place your bets:
- Everwild?
- Playground RPG (Fable)?
- Undead Labs new game?
- Maybe some little Double Fine thing we don't know about?

And that's pretty much it.
That reasoning would be true for a flat video stream, where the GPU computation is just defined by a pixel ratio, a color depth and a linear stream of datas. But in a 3D videogame it appears linear to the end-user only because devs had defined a baseline, an envelop where the game has to fit in. Here the resolution alone doesn't define how much a game weights on the GPU.

When Mark Cerny said 8TF would be needed to push PS4 games to native 4K, but in the meantime the One X achieves it with 6TF - did he lie or was he wrong ? None of the two : it's because of the different TF baseline between platforms (1.8x/1.3x). And just because you would need four times more TF to push a 1080p games to 4K native doesn't mean that the differential couldn't be used for something else with an higher baseline.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Also with them getting the specs out the way they can show off stuff games and other things come next time they have a show or doing PR\marketing .

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Wow 12TFlop RDNA 2.

Dear Sony, Phil is out here making you look like a fool.

"At Xbox we value being open and transparent with you, and I'm proud to be able to share details about some of the technologies we are enabling for the next generation, and look forward to boldly sharing more as we head towards E3."

Time to put on your big boy pants and reveal something Sony.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I do fear XSX will be $599 now though, especially with the corona making parts scarce.

Honestly Sony needs to start dropping something, even if they have the worst case scenario 8TF box.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
How are they gonna power a gpu more powerful than a 2080 super in such a small form factor at 499?

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Wow 12TFlop RDNA 2.

Dear Sony, Phil is out here making you look like a fool.

"At Xbox we value being open and transparent with you, and I'm proud to be able to share details about some of the technologies we are enabling for the next generation, and look forward to boldly sharing more as we head towards E3."

Time to put on your big boy pants and reveal something Sony.
Don't start console wars please.
Don't start toxic masculinity behavior too please.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
How does this compare to nvidia offering?
5700XT is rated at 9.9TF, but it usually operates a bit under.
2020-02-2415_21_17-amw2jjz.jpg

12TF should place it easily above 1080Ti [my old "wishlist power level" for nextgen consoles], and probably somewhere between 2080/2080Super. But we don't know what RDNA2 is bringing - architectural gains, clock/heat levels, RT speed, etc.

Console developers will do wonder with this hardware. I can't wait for mid/late gen sub-4K 30fps games, tech and visuals will be wild.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
1440X1600 is actually 10% higher than 1080p per eye, it isn't ideal but it's pretty good. I haven't tried any 1440x1600 headsets myself so I have no idea if that's enough or if Sony needs to chase higher resolutions :)

No no, what I'm talking about is the Cinematic Mode that functions like a personal cinema for all non-VR content - a virtual screen in a virtual cinema or a black void. Since the screen has to be sitting away from you, only the middle of each screen can be used. The result is that the cinema mode resolution is probably about a quarter of the total resolution. So while the PSVR has a 1080p screen, you first cut that in half to 960x1080 per eye, and then you use the middles of those screens for a 16:9 image - so the resolution would most be about 480-540p or so per eye. The 1440x1600 screens would then be able to do about 720p per eye. It would take a 4K screen - or 2 of the screens I was reading about which are 2160x2100 - to nail that "effective 1080p cinema mode" goal.

Japi

Banned
Oct 14, 2019
They won't say that until they're 150% sure. I believe it has more TF than PS5. Now, we need to see the cost of both consoles.

Why would you believe that when xbox itself doesn't know, or cannot make a calculated claim? they are not saying "THE MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE" for a reason, there is nothing to indicate it, so why even say you believe?

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I assume this is meant to be getting ahead of GDC but I hope this means Sony is also about to open a lid soon regardless of any specs haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.