• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2018
Pre edit only companies that couldn't get local reps to attend (Chinese) and Facebook for some reason.
Post edit yes a lot of their staff is Asia centric but that doesn't stop them from sending the American division to GDC or PAX. They know their company better I just fine it odd is all.

I'm confused by your pre edit stuff, the stuff before my edit was a mistake, disregard it.

For all we know American staff for Sony could be overseas.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So, why should we fear and be so concerned? Why should we just cancel everything and live underground in Montana?

Point to one person who has said you should be afraid, that everything should be cancelled, or that we should live underground. You can't because they aren't. Yours is a classic straw man argument because what you're trying to get upset about is actually quite mild and reasonable as a temporary precautionary measure.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
I'm confused by your pre edit stuff, the stuff before my edit was a mistake, disregard it.

For all we know American staff for Sony could be overseas.
why would their American staff well over a few thousand be oversees? That seems like a leap mate. They have a HQ within walking distance of GDC why not send some people most of their big studios are US based as well. It's a weird take to assume they're out of country.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Sony is averaging around one SoP per quarter. In 5 days, we'll enter the second biggest gap between events. End of April would mark the longest wait ever.

www.playstation.com

State of Play | PlayStation

Catch up with all of the PlayStation news and announcements from the latest State of Play broadcast.

Feb 10, 2018
why would their American staff well over a few thousand be oversees? That seems like a leap mate. They have a HQ within walking distance of GDC why not send some people most of their big studios are US based as well. It's a weird take to assume they're out of country.

I never said all of them, and has it not occurred to you that the people they wanted to send to these events are overseas and they did not want to expose them to extra risk? They could send other people to these events but they decided to cancel instead.
I mean what other reasons could there be?

Crazy_KiD_169

Jun 21, 2018
no one has leaked anything yet. no one is going to leak anything at GDC. devs dont break NDAs just so era users can have their 12 tflops confirmations.

if they wanted to leak the specs, they wouldve told Jason and Tom Warren already. they clearly dont want to risk their careers over this bs.

I wasn't talking about directly leaking to someone, isn't a lot of stuff at gdc leaked because of devs talking to each other in line? then someone over hears them?

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Point to one person who has said you should be afraid, that everything should be cancelled, or that we should live underground. You can't because they aren't. Yours is a classic straw man argument because what you're trying to get upset about is actually quite mild and reasonable as a temporary precautionary measure.

I would not expect a response, he has a tendency to ignore posts or parts of a post to which he has no answer.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A convention that excludes attendees from the epicenter country, that is in a location with checks at border entry for possible signs, coupled with standard hygiene and the risk is tiny.

The whole problem with Corona is that you are contagious before you ever show symptoms. There's no "possible signs" to screen for. By the time you're symptomatic you have been spreading the disease for days.

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
What everyone should do is try to get Sony's marketing department to leak the specs for the PS5 to put everyone out of their misery. ;-p

Maybe find someone that is leaving anyway in their marketing department. ;-p

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
I never said all of them, and has it not occurred to you that the people they wanted to send to these events are overseas and they did not want to expose them to extra risk? They could send other people to these events but they decided to cancel instead.
While that may be possible I find it unlikely given the studios who would likely present ads from the US. You're free to believe it's the right decision just as I'm free to believe it's overly cautious and a bit of an over reaction. Sony is free to make their decision anyway they want I just find it odd that they're canceling in place where risk has been limited by the local government and the venue itself.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People panic to easily these days I understand being precautious but this is a bit overblown like idk what to say. Wash your bands, sneeze into your shirt rather than the open, use sanitizer, etc or is the CDC lying and none of that will save us? A convention that excludes attendees from the epicenter country, that is in a location with checks at border entry for possible signs, coupled with standard hygiene and the risk is tiny.
Again I'm not saying Sony is dumb I'm saying they're overblowing the situation especially with an office within walking distance. Are those employees not going to work either? I interact with 1000s every day should I not go to work? All I do is carry a bottle of hand sanitizer and wash my hands regularly. A far more common flu hasn't affected me in decades because of rhar. Precaution good fear is bad. Just my opinion.

So you saying there's still a risk? I mean it's very unlikely for anyone to pick up the virus in these events but it only takes one person to spread it around. I mean it's not overblown if there's a tiny chance you have to take some precaution, and it's not just Sony and Faceook, AT&T and IBM are pulling out of a big cybersecurity event in San Fran also.

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
So you saying there's still a risk? I mean it's very unlikely for anyone to pick up the virus in these events but it only takes one person to spread it around. I mean it's not overblown if there's a tiny chance you have to take some precaution, and it's not just Sony and Faceook, AT&T and IBM are pulling out of a big cybersecurity event in San Fran also.

there's a risk of breaking your leg getting out of bed in the morning. This is getting a bit too much for my likening are we really saying a risk even if it's say 1% chance of contracting the virus should reaulr in canceling a multinational organizations attendance at an event? PersonallyI find any company cancelling these events in the US a bit much but again I interact with thousands daily so my perspective is different.

Feb 10, 2018
While that may be possible I find it unlikely given the studios who would likely present ads from the US. You're free to believe it's the right decision just as I'm free to believe it's overly cautious and a bit of an over reaction. Sony is free to make their decision anyway they want I just find it odd that they're canceling in place where risk has been limited by the local government and the venue itself.

Well whatever the location of the people they are trying to protect, the reason they are doing this is to try and prevent there employees getting and spreading the Corona virus.
You do have a point though, the risk of Corona in USA is very very low and Sony do have lots of staff in the USA, but if there not just being really cautious why else would they do it?, you think it's like some conspiracy that Sony are using Corona as a scapegoat to cancel there appearences because of some larger strategic play?

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Well whatever the location of the people they are trying to protect, the reason they are doing this is to try and prevent there employees getting and spreading the Corona virus.
You do have a point though, the risk of Corona in USA is very very low and Sony do have lots of staff in the USA, but if there just being really cautious why else would they do it?, you think it's like some conspiracy that Sony are using Corona as a scapegoat to cancel there appearences because of some larger strategic play?
Not at all I just think they're being too cautious

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there's a risk of breaking your leg getting out of bed in the morning. This is getting a bit too much for my likening are we really saying a risk even if it's say 1% chance of contracting the virus should reaulr in canceling a multinational organizations attendance at an event? PersonallyI find any company cancelling these events in the US a bit much but again I interact with thousands daily so my perspective is different.

Mentioning chance of breaking you leg getting out of bed in the morning to a virus that can easily devastate families around the world when WHO advise to limit travel, I mean really?

These companies don't care about your liking, as you mentioned they're free to do what they think is best. It's an yearly event, just skip this year and come back next year, what's the big deal? They might even cancel the Olympics for god's sake.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

There are perfectly valid other reasons: your employees normally interact with the same group of people from their local area, minimizing the likelihood that they'll be exposed to novel contagions and making it easier to slow the spread of anything they do contract. Mandating that they attend a conference that takes thousands of people from all over the world, puts them on airplanes with notoriously poor air circulation with a bunch of random strangers, and then puts all of these travelers together in a crowded conference space is not like sending them down the block to pick up office supplies.

Yes, the risk is still relatively low. It's still not zero, but it's also largely avoidable since this kind of show is optional in a world of pervasive electronic communication. Conferences are notorious for spreading infectious disease, so this is one of the things we can do to minimize personal risk and slow the spread of something new. It's neither rocket science nor a conspiracy theory.

Nov 20, 2019
It really amazes me that developers are able to create something like this with Jaguar cores, 5400 RPM HDDs, and 5 GBs of usable RAM.

The PS5 and Series X are gong to raise the bar in such a massive way. I don't think most of us can even realize yet the incredible scope and scale of future games that will be built for these new consoles.
exactly, only people that understand tech will.

OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
We have a thread to discuss Sony's lack of presence at GDC and PAX due to the Coronavirus. Let's keep that conversation to those threads, mmkay?

Feb 10, 2018
There are perfectly valid other reasons: your employees normally interact with the same group of people from their local area, minimizing the likelihood that they'll be exposed to novel contagions and making it easier to slow the spread of anything they do contract. Mandating that they attend a conference that takes thousands of people from all over the world, puts them on airplanes with notoriously poor air circulation with a bunch of random strangers, and then puts all of these travelers together in a crowded conference space is not like sending them down the block to pick up office supplies.

Yes, the risk is still relatively low. It's still not zero, but it's also largely avoidable since this kind of show is optional in a world of pervasive electronic communication. Conferences are notorious for spreading infectious disease, so this is one of the things we can do to minimize personal risk and slow the spread of something new. It's neither rocket science nor a conspiracy theory.
Then tell Croat this, not me.
I agree with what your saying I don't know why you are quoting me about it being rocket science or conspiracy theory.

I mean do you think it's a conspiracy theory or something? That's crazy.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Neither is COVID-19 if you wash your hands. It's not an airborne contagion.

Washing your hands is gonna do fuck all if someone happens to cough in your direction/face. And alot of stuff gets contaminated: door handles, desks, keyboards and controllers. People giving you a hand etc etc. Even if you wash your hands often and cough in your elbow does not mean that others do the same. You are also gonna need a ton of hand-sanitizer if you want to clean your hands after every single interaction.

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Someone call the papers! CROAT_56 solved communicable diseases!

as commendable as that may be I didn't come up with basic hygiene or basic Preventable care agains non airborne viruses I do suggest you direct that praise to the fine folks at the CDC and other world bodies.

ok done with this in here don't want transistor to get all banhammwry on anyone as I enjoy talking to most of you peeps.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Where do we discuss Sony's lack of presence in the mind of The Gamer?
Can we hurry up and give this man an award please?

Edit: ...and the winner for most time spent flying under the radar ... check notes anexanhume

giphy.gif

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
We should totally have an outrageous award ceremony in late 2020 after this whole charade has finished. Now THAT would be fun :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.