• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
i still think this is a PR problem more than a hardware problem. their marketing department seems pretty clueless. Dreams selling only 1.5k retail copies in japan and 3.5k in UK would be a huge marketing disaster but sony doesnt even seem to care at this point.
Dreams is a niche and long term plan. Don't think they care about initial sales for it. It wouldn't be a surprise if they send one copy with every new console.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, GDC 2020 is still happening in San Francisco but Facebook and Sony are bailing because of "panic in the streets" and "dogs and cats living together"?

Are these companies going to have employees come into work this year?
Everyone going to be living in a bubble?

Yeah, at this point when do we call the PS5 for next year? It just seems that virus or no virus it's inevitable.

"From an underground bunker in Montana, we present to you the PS5.... Which comes out sometime in 2021..." ;-p
Whats funny is that they cant stop their employees from traveling. there will be devs who will want to go to GDC during March. March is a big spring break week so people will go to the bahamas, florida and mexican beaches. will sony ban all travel? after all, the employees can always bring back the virus to the offices.

this is all so silly. lets make everyone work from home. take kids out of school. ban school trips. ban spring break. ban easter bunnies and all products coming in from china. ban the ps5 because the AMD APU is likely made in china. what if the amazing PS5 cooling solution picks up the virus from the chip and using its amazing next gen fans distributes it all over your living room infecting your kids, your pets and all first and third party studio offices.

this is how the world ends.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a mandate to not go to events. Square-Enix and Capcom have been canceling event showings as well.

Japanese companies are just being extremely cautious right now.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel as though Sony's recent cancellations, while perhaps legitimately wise and cautious, are slowly starting to eat away at their confidently silent image. Between the cancellations and the reports on build price problems and parts shortages, I am slightly starting to lose my faith. Am I the only one that's starting to feel like that stoic, confident market leader silence vibe is slipping into a nervous stalling energy with each new announcement and news story over the past couple of weeks?

I think you're reading too much into it all.

I'm disappointed Sony are skipping GDC. But it's a leap to suggest that there's some nervous energy. I also think you might be too invested if you think Sony were deliberately being stoic/confident, and using language like 'losing faith'.

The really rational explanation is that Sony have a marketing strategy and time-line in place that doesn't align with the Xbox reveals. And based on recent cancelations, doesn't really involve PAX or GDC - or at least, not in a way that would fundamentally impact their reveal strategy. Assuming they are going to do this at their own event, on their own time - there's really not much to take from any of this news except the obvious - Sony aren't ready to show anything.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I had the thread on ignore so I could get some work done. And it worked.

I'm back for the skipping of GDC tho..

Welp, I expect to have new avatar soon. Might as well pass them all out now Transistor.

FullWalter

Mar 13, 2018
They were never going to talk about PS5 at PAX or GDC.

they weren't going to talk about it at PAX, but at GDC I would certainly think so. Not to consumers, GDC isn't a consumer facing show, but to developers I would imagine they were. And either way, not attending all of these shows in combination with negative news stories about not locking down prices yet and parts shortages starts to paint a picture or send a message.

I was someone that thought that people naysaying and making a big deal out of Sony not showing up at E3 were making mountains out of mole hills. The culture and business has changed and E3 is getting left behind. But E3 doesn't exist in a vacuum and all of these skipped shows and shakey news stories together is starting to create a vibe.

I don't mean to exaggerate, I don't think the ship is under water or anything. But I can't deny that it feels like the momentum is maybe just starting to turn.

Feb 10, 2018
at that point, whats the point in worrying anymore? whats done is done, time to move on.

people worry for something bad to happen. now is the time the time to worry, by the time sony announces PS5 is cancelled it will be too late. that would be the time to cry, say your prayers and try your luck on tinder.

True.
Ms + Sony are making 10±tf rDNA with RT, 8 core zen2 , 16gb gddr6 ram and fast SSD beasts, they both have the biggest collection of first party studios ever, we all win!

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Whats funny is that they cant stop their employees from traveling. there will be devs who will want to go to GDC during March. March is a big spring break week so people will go to the bahamas, florida and mexican beaches. will sony ban all travel? after all, the employees can always bring back the virus to the offices.

this is all so silly. lets make everyone work from home. take kids out of school. ban school trips. ban spring break. ban easter bunnies and all products coming in from china. ban the ps5 because the AMD APU is likely made in china. what if the amazing PS5 cooling solution picks up the virus from the chip and using its amazing next gen fans distributes it all over your living room infecting your kids, your pets and all first and third party studio offices.

They are responsible for the health of their employees how is that Silly?

C'mon

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Well since my vote was riding on Sony collaborating with Wired on another PS5 article to stave off the GDC leaks and control the narrative, I am now pretty sure that my vote will now be wrong. Oh well, I just hope I have a really stupid and funny new avatar

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What's silly is taking any unnecessary risks, and the world will really end if everyone thinks like that.

FullWalter

Mar 13, 2018
I think you're reading too much into it all.

I'm disappointed Sony are skipping GDC. But it's a leap to suggest that there's some nervous energy. I also think you might be too invested if you think Sony were deliberately being stoic/confident, and using language like 'losing faith'.

The really rational explanation is that Sony have a marketing strategy and time-line in place that doesn't align with the Xbox reveals. And based on recent cancelations, doesn't really involve PAX or GDC - or at least, not in a way that would fundamentally impact their reveal strategy. Assuming they are going to do this at their own event, on their own time - there's really not much to take from any of this news except the obvious - Sony aren't ready to show anything.

I think maybe I'm not articulating myself well. I do believe that these coronavirus precautions are for the best and I do believe they are being done with their employee's health in mind and I applaud that.

but none of this exists in a vacuum and news stories of trade and industry pull outs along side other news stories about supply chain problems and Sony themselves being unsure of aspects of the launch (namely price) are starting to pile up. These news stories and pull outs in absence of any concrete or reassuring news is starting to wear on Sony's perceived stoicism and confidence that many have applauded or used to put their silence into perspective up until now.

Again, I don't think there's reason to panic or read into things hugely, but I do think there's starting to be the beginnings of a bad or unsure energy or vibe.

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Crazy to me they're canceling all these events with the WHO saying outside of China there is less than 1% mortality rate (0.68%). 7 total deaths outside of China.

I still expect leaks out of GDC however

Crazy_KiD_169

Jun 21, 2018
You can still expect leaks out of gdc if Sony doesn't reveal before. Devs know the target specs already, so they don't need Sony to be there to talk.
I think the reveal of the PS5 will not be live though, hopefully it's soon.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can still expect leaks out of gdc if Sony doesn't reveal before. Devs know the target specs already, so they don't need Sony to be there to talk.
I think the reveal of the PS5 will not be live though, hopefully it's soon.
no one has leaked anything yet. no one is going to leak anything at GDC. devs dont break NDAs just so era users can have their 12 tflops confirmations.

if they wanted to leak the specs, they wouldve told Jason and Tom Warren already. they clearly dont want to risk their careers over this bs.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They are literally thinking of moving the Olympics because of Corona....the Olympics!

These cancellations are nothing to do with ps5. Jeeeez

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Hmmm... ok, now I am getting slightly concerned. Why is sony pulling out of GDC(in San Francisco no less) due to coronavirus?

Its even stranger when MS is at every single one of these events sony is pulling out of.

Surely coronavirus should b taken into account or our bets lol. If sony can care or their employees, the least Era can do is care for its members!!!

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Isn't there still a chance for PS5 (also Xbox Series X ) specs to leak at this conference? [I'm very desperate for news.... its sad]

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm... ok, now I am getting slightly concerned. Why is sony pulling out of GDC(in San Francisco no less) due to coronavirus?

Its even stranger when MS is at every single one of these events sony is pulling out of.

How do you know MS won't pull out? I'm sure they're monitoring the situation.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Might have to rely on the amazon product page to reveal the PS5. Tweet it out after E3, "head over to amazon.com right now" #PS5.

They've got the image selector, a little video player and large description space catered for with a pre order button if you like what you see.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy to me they're canceling all these events with the WHO saying outside of China there is less than 1% mortality rate (0.68%). 7 total deaths outside of China.

I still expect leaks out of GDC however
You realize that an international convention has ... international guests, right? It doesn't matter if that convention is in China, Germany, Brazil or the US.
The WHO has also recommended to avoid international conventions if possible btw.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Surely coronavirus should b taken into account or our bets lol. If sony can care or their employees, the least Era can do is care for its members!!!
The Playstation Headquarters in San Mateo is literally 30 minutes by car (20 miles) from the GDC convention center.

playstation-careers-campus-photo-01-us-19mar19

if i worked there, i would use this as an excuse to work from home for the next few months.

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
I would be more surprised if microsoft didnt pull out tbh.

I would be surprised if they actually did.

You guys are watching the YouTube videos from the american doctor updating his vlog and talking about these things and being educated about this virus, right?

Yes, it's a big virus, but it's not been called a pandemic yet, nor is it spreading fast outside of China and it appears to be slowing down now a little bit in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.