• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

groganos

Jan 12, 2018
Ohhhhiiiiyyyoooo
All members should really watch the latest DF - Direct video and their take on pricing. It really makes a lot of sense what they suggest and the different scenarios they point out.
After watching yeah it makes a lot of sense and even if the "december 2019 amd leak" is true the ps5 is gonna be 8x(for the gpu) the base ps5 so if that is preferred console than you shouldnt be upset if one has a few more tflops because its gonna be a super nice box.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Yes but 2GHz on N7 node must be on the ragged edge of that silicon especially if they have Zen 2 cores on the same die, must have been for limited production for the initial V shaped dev kits (I wonder how loud they are). Even the stock 5700 XT anniversary edition does not boost to that released at a similar time. I mentioned close to 13TF, that is what it will need to be if it is better performing than Series X like some insiders are suggesting. Oberon leak is too early to determine final PS5 specs, they could probably hit that clock speed for retail with N7P but does not make sense to wait until Holiday 2020 release. They must be planning something mega given they had the audacity to do a 2GHz chip so early on. Given Gran Turismo team are looking at hitting even 240Hz, CPU, GPU, memory and IO performance must be really impressive to even have such thoughts especially if at 4K.

Interesting. Hope you're right.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
After watching yeah it makes a lot of sense and even if the "december 2019 amd leak" is true the ps5 is gonna be 8x(for the gpu) the base ps5 so if that is preferred console than you shouldnt be upset if one has a few more tflops because its gonna be a super nice box.
As was always said. Compared between the generation and excluding the mid-cycle updates a console above 9 TF is a generational leap. If the Xbox would be just be predicted at 10 TF nobody would care and less people would question Github. As mentioned very often now, 12TF for Xbox is beyond my own initial expectations.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I can totally see Lockhart not being within the launch window in the worst case. i.e. Spring 2021 release. A later release is nonsensical.
Absolutely. I think that's sensible. Series X should be available on shelves by Spring, then you start to sell Lockhart. No sense in dropping two SKUs when you're going to sell everything you make. You want to entice the got-to-have-it-now people with the premium SKU.

Gdourado

Oct 1, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
If there is a difference in specs and power with Xbox being 12 tflops and ps5 around 9, will this make a difference on actual games?
I mean, all of MS first party games will be developed for the Xbox, but also Pc, with allot its fragmented hardware configurations.
In opposite, Sony first party games will only be developed and tailored to the hardware the ps5 will have.
So I am wondering if the rumored 12 tflops of the Xbox will only be used to bruteforce games and not actually be used to full effect.

Do you think MS strategy of first party games for both PC and Xbox can hurt their games potential?

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
If there is a difference in specs and power with Xbox being 12 tflops and ps5 around 9, will this make a difference on actual games?
I mean, all of MS first party games will be developed for the Xbox, but also Pc, with allot its fragmented hardware configurations.
In opposite, Sony first party games will only be developed and tailored to the hardware the ps5 will have.
So I am wondering if the rumored 12 tflops of the Xbox will only be used to bruteforce games and not actually be used to full effect.

Do you think MS strategy of first party games for both PC and Xbox can hurt their games potential?

No. I think.

IkarugaDE

Feb 3, 2020

At the end one real advantage remains: Developers know the hardware of the XSX and so the game could be adjusted very good.

groganos

Jan 12, 2018
Ohhhhiiiiyyyoooo
As was always said. Compared between the generation and excluding the mid-cycle updates a console above 9 TF is a generational leap. If the Xbox would be just be predicted at 10 TF nobody would care and less people would question Github. As mentioned very often now, 12TF for Xbox is beyond my own initial expectations.
Yeah I was thinking like 5700xt with secret sauce for both but then Microsoft threw that a curveball so not much we can do but save up for both if you like the feeling of sweet new video game tech or buy whichever you prefer and be happy that they're not mid range laptop powered like the last gen.
Edit: I'll have to set a reminder for that sweet cheesecake recipe of yours if you're still giving it out my friend.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
Me too but alas I fancy they prefer to have someone else foot the bill for what's most likely a pretty niche controller.
This is definitely true, hoping this is an experiment for their next gen controller though in all honesty (but with the wired using it and not mentioning this I'm not completely sure).

Paddles do take getting used to though lol

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Definitely a good decision. Still would like something like the elite on the ps5, but is a very good addition to the controller and very slick to adjust.
I have an adapter for the first Xbox Elite controller (or any Xbox One controller) that works great with PS4. I play all my PS4 games with that adapter and my Elite Series 1. Unfortunately it doesn't work with Series 2 because they changes to a built-in battery.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

If it's 9 vs 12 it will be no different than what you have in current gen. One with higher resolution and a better framerate in some games, that's about it.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why this has to be true, or why so many here seem to think disabling WGPs, SAs or SE is something that has to be done in "real-time" at the application level.

We're talking about a BC mode. It's a driver level change, forcing the system into a specific mode for BC. I wonder whether it can be done through the shader compiler, to make it subdivide workgroups into wavefronts that address only a subset of the available resources; so simply not dispatching work to certain WGPs, rather than actively switching them off.

When CUs/WGPs are disabled in the Fab, a similar change must be implemented to ensure wavefront workloads aren't dispatched to the disabled/fused WGP/CU. The control logic to enable it should be in-built in the design, as the nature of disabling defective CUs/WGPs means that every WGP/CU needs to include the control logic to disable/enable them.

A good, logical take. Thanks for sharing.

As far as controlling CU activation, the active CU mask was at the granularity of per-CU. It might be per WGP for Navi. It would require a full reset of the GPU and re-initialization with a different mask presented to the software/firmware. This means that unless PS5 runs a VM / emulator for BC, the console would need to be rebooted to transition between PS4/Pro and PS5 modes.

I think per-WGP works just fine, even numbers and all.

Unfortunately, Microsoft uses me, too, so their BOM is just as high.

The true insider.

I can totally see Lockhart not being within the launch window in the worst case. i.e. Spring 2021 release. A later release is nonsensical.
Agreed.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

A lot of people would still question the github just like how a lot of people question your 8TF guess if before we knew about Navi .
Some people were saying 10 low end to 14 TF for a very long time now and still stick with it even with Navi.
Also if we did not have every other source we have saying they close which play a big part in this .

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018

Isn't the reason people think the XsX is 12tf is because of the humongous SoC?

IkarugaDE

Feb 3, 2020
I'm with you on that one. $600 is a lot of cash, and I can hear the "$599 US DOLLARS" memes from here
I'm still convinced we'll not get a console over 500$ this generation*. I bet my avatar for that.

*I mean the Standard config without any premium shit, a bigger SSD, six controllers, 5 bags of walnuts or a signed picture of Mark Cerny.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This would be tempting but assume wired only?
Wired and wireless !!!!

Mcbazel Brook X One Adapter für Xbox One Controller auf PS4 Nintendo Switch mit Remap Turbo Wireless Connection und Wiederaufladbarem Akku mit Gam3Gear Schlüsselanhänger: Amazon.de: Games

Mcbazel Brook X One Adapter für Xbox One Controller auf PS4 Nintendo Switch mit Remap Turbo Wireless Connection und Wiederaufladbarem Akku mit Gam3Gear Schlüsselanhänger - Kostenloser Versand ab 29€. Jetzt bei Amazon.de bestellen!

Brook X ONE Adapter Wireless Converter and Rechargeable Battery making your XBOX ONE and Elite Controller Compatible with PS4, Nintendo Switch, XBOX One Console and PC: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Brook X ONE Adapter Wireless Converter and Rechargeable Battery making your XBOX ONE and Elite Controller Compatible with PS4, Nintendo Switch, XBOX One Console and PC: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Last edited:

IkarugaDE

Feb 3, 2020
Wired and wireless !!!!

Mcbazel Brook X One Adapter für Xbox One Controller auf PS4 Nintendo Switch mit Remap Turbo Wireless Connection und Wiederaufladbarem Akku mit Gam3Gear Schlüsselanhänger: Amazon.de: Games

Mcbazel Brook X One Adapter für Xbox One Controller auf PS4 Nintendo Switch mit Remap Turbo Wireless Connection und Wiederaufladbarem Akku mit Gam3Gear Schlüsselanhänger - Kostenloser Versand ab 29€. Jetzt bei Amazon.de bestellen!
Haha dude I think that link forwards to the german Amazon page. 😂

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't get how any "insider" could really make these claims confidently.. they would be based on non-final DevKits, not "the machines" we'll be using next year.
You guess they would have to know the amount of power they are ultimately designing the games for, no matter if the devkits version change and so does the current power they have at disposal, but maybe they just rely on the devkit they have and with each version they restart the designing. Must be that...

Status
Not open for further replies.