• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I think you're being overly restrictive in your interpretation. It doesn't necessarily have to be hardware disabled to not have commands issued to it. It just has a little more power overhead, which is absolutely fine given it's in a reduced performance mode with much lower clocks.

Right in the white paper is in an initialization signal sent to the wave controller for a WGP. It's not unreasonable to think that controller could be left idle and not fetch commands.

Think about it logically. Does it make sense to architect a design around a legacy support mode, including changing baseline mode performance and cost, instead of adding a simple enable signal to an instruction unit?

The Xbox One X's 44 CUs aren't a clean multiple of 12, and it supports S games all the same.

This.

well Sony even being seen as the underdog when they outsold 360 globally, suggests a US-centric world view in the reporting

They only outsold the 360 after the gen was over. Or at least it only came to light by then.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Thanks,Let me know if you find it.

To address your request: Did I make that assertion somewhere? I don't have a source for an assertion I did not make.
54 CU was my guess if it isn't 36 because of this. Makes more sense with what we know than going to 40/44/48. More expensive though (also considering it'd be 60 CU with 6 inactive), so did Sony go for it? 🤔
Chocolate covered bananas dipped in walnuts?

Was it Miniature Kaiju?

As far as I can see, there's nothing in the RDNA whitepaper that alludes to the assertion that disabling SEs is easier/less likely than SAs.
Maybe it was Miniature Kaiju, I can't really recall who it was. But let's assume for a second that it is possible to disable a single SA, even if that's the case we still have a lot of limitation to consider once your BC mode relays on SA disabling. Disabling just a WGPin real-time? That's even a larger logic leap over disabling a SA. But disabling individual WGPs will be the only way Sony will have real freedom to build whatever CU count GPU they want without a bloated die size.

Wow, those things are getting better every week....

chocolate covered banana with walnuts on it?
I wouldn't have thought about that in my dreams....
yes
Huh? Both the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X disable CUs when running games that don't have a specific profile for them. Even their boost modes disable CUs.
The pro disables a shader engine in real-time, not a shader array and not CUs. The X doesn't disable any CUs when running older games. What I was talking about works exactly like the Pro, disabling a shader engine.

I think you're being overly restrictive in your interpretation. It doesn't necessarily have to be hardware disabled to not have commands issued to it. It just has a little more power overhead, which is absolutely fine given it's in a reduced performance mode with much lower clocks.

Right in the white paper is in an initialization signal sent to the wave controller for a WGP. It's not unreasonable to think that controller could be left idle and not fetch commands.

Think about it logically. Does it make sense to architect a design around a legacy support mode, including changing baseline mode performance and cost, instead of adding a simple enable signal to an instruction unit?

The Xbox One X's 44 CUs aren't a clean multiple of 12, and it supports S games all the same.
Maybe it is possible to disable a single WGP just like that, in real-time on the fly, but it was never done before including on the PS4 Pro which was designed around legacy support, exactly what you say is illogical :)

Regarding the Xbox One X BC as an example, it doesn't disable any CUs in order to support S games, it uses a completely different method (it does have cut performance by almost half). I wouldn't use MS as an example considering they handle BC mostly by their thick abstraction layer and they don't care how many CUs are running under the hood.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Disabling at the SE level makes sense because that's how Navi 10 is portioned out. As I pointed out above, Xbox One X supports S games despite not having an integer multiple of CUs (44/12). For that matter, Xbox Series X likely won't have an integer multiple of either of them, yet we've just been taking BC for granted there.

different approach for MS BC though - if they have more of an abstraction later then maybe they're less sensitive to CU/GPU configuration?

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
How much did the PS3 sell in it first month and then first year?
I remember that it didn't sell that well within the first months to year in The Netherlands. Some shops still had their Day One consoles even after the holidays where over.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
different approach for MS BC though - if they have more of an abstraction later then maybe they're less sensitive to CU/GPU configuration?
The point is that there are multiple ways to accomplish the end goal, and a patent application isn't binding or all encompassing. To suggest that they'd change their whole GPU structure just to support BC mode is asinine. Imagine hampering the performance of a console just to support BC. What they did on PS3 is take out BC instead to cut costs.

As informative as they can be, many patents become visible after a technology has been deployed to the market. The BC patents describe many of the ways the Pro does it. There's nothing stopping them from evolving that approach which will get future disclosures.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it was Miniature Kaiju, I can't really recall who it was. But let's assume for a second that it is possible to disable a single SA, even if that's the case we still have a lot of limitation to consider once your BC mode relays on SA disabling. Disabling just a WGPin real-time? That's even a larger logic leap over disabling a SA. But disabling individual WGPs will be the only way Sony will have real freedom to build whatever CU count GPU they want without a bloated die size.

The pro disables a shader engine in real-time, not a shader array and not CUs. The X doesn't disable any CUs when running older games. What I was talking about works exactly like the Pro, disabling a shader engine.

Maybe it is possible to disable a single WGP just like that, in real-time on the fly, but it was never done before including on the PS4 Pro which was designed around legacy support, exactly what you say is illogical :)

Regarding the Xbox One X BC as an example, it doesn't disable any CUs in order to support S games, it uses a completely different method (it does have cut performance by almost half). I wouldn't use MS as an example considering they handle BC mostly by their thick abstraction layer and they don't care how many CUs are running under the hood.

what assumptions are being made in the speculation for chip layout? If 3 SEs mean too much die size, are people assuming 2 for series x? If that is 56CU as speculated, does it have other negatives like less efficient utilisation having 28CUs Per SE?

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Disabling at the SE level makes sense because that's how Navi 10 is portioned out. As I pointed out above, Xbox One X supports S games despite not having an integer multiple of CUs (44/12). For that matter, Xbox Series X likely won't have an integer multiple of either of them, yet we've just been taking BC for granted there.
a) Xbox uses hypervisor/VM provisioning which is a SW approach.
b) The way it works on the X is similar to what Sony is doing on HW but on that SW level. Nothing will be disabled or enabled on the hw. It all works by resource provisioning.

regarding b):
The One GPU consists of 2 SE with each 6 CUs in it. The One X consists of 4 SE and 10 CUs per SE.
What One X does in regard of BC for Xbox One games is that the Game VM gets a provision of one half of One X GPU.
Means: An Xbox One game gets 2 SEs with 10 CUs and full clock and thus runs at 3TF of GPU compute (documented by MS)

Speculation!!
regarding "BC is seen as a given on Xbox":
Xbox will use a similar approach on the Series X. But differently. Instead of provisioning being structured in SEs the provisioning of resources will be moved to Shader Arrays because I expect the Series X chip will have still 2 RDNA Shader Engines with 4 Shader Arrays.
A Xbox One game will get a provision of 2 Shader Arrays (each Shader Array has 7 WGPs) --> in correspondence to 2 SEs in the old console
A Xbox One X game will get a provision of all 4 Shader Arrays --> in correspondence to 4 SEs in the old console.
So in result a Xbox One Game would run now on a GPU capable of 6TF (at an assumed clock of 1675 Mhz).

Regarding memory the provisioning will be dependent on the XDK version used. Xbox One SDKs will only get 5GB of memory for the game, Xbox One X SDK games will get 9GB of memory for a game (this includes patched games).

Edit:
As this all works in software it will be even easier than what I wrote above. They may just configure a profile for Xbox One that is provisioning 1 SE for Xbox One and 2 SE for Xbox One X and Series X. That is the beauty of not being hw dependent! Simplified, you just can change the configuration profiles of the hypervisor.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017
As much as I want MS to lead by a huge margin, and also believe the Github leak, here is what I think to be the most reasonable prediction one can make:

Xbox Series X - 12-13TFlops: 499$
PS5 - 12-13TFlops: 499$
Xbox Series S - 4-5TFlops : 299$

Deep down we all know that both Sony and MS will have very similar specs, but the one uncertainty is the XSS being a game changer. I for one cannot wait for the reactions once it gets announced.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Transistor

I wanna say March, but there's a lot of uncertainties going on in the industry right now and so part of me thinks it will be later. At the same time, I can't see the reveal being right around the release date of TLOU2, and I know many third parties like to reveal their games before E3, so I don't think it will be May. That leaves March or April. I'm gonna go ahead and say March 10th since that's actually my birthday and it would let them beat GDC by about a week.

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT8| - The Dark Tower (See Staff Post)

They don't want to say a specific number because things can change.

I remember reading that, but it's not a confirmation of anything, it's just his opinion. Remember what I said about third parties having different development kits?
That's what I am talking about here. Where are his sources? Is it third party? Is it Sony's first party?

We need more information and we don't have it. Just because he said that, doesn't make it true. I am not saying that he is lying, I am saying once again that not everyone is privy to the true specifications.

You have to be specific and look how one generic sentence that doesn't really say anything calms people's nerves.

It's simply not enough to convince me.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018

I was talking about bananas in chocolate coating with a walnut topping.
But i always like to get some technical insight, so thanks. ;-)
I also can see that the github leak doesn't have to show the full picture,
and they were just testing BC.
I think there is a possibility for more CUs then shown in the leak.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Shall we refresh some memories? Let's go then... quotes and respective links for the lazy folks.
Hint: he Matt knows the specs for both machines.

www.resetera.com

Xbox Game Studios |OT6| I'M BACK (TO RISE)

They are very close to each other. This isn’t like PS4 vs. XBO. It literally doesn’t matter.
They are very close to each other. This isn't like PS4 vs. XBO.

It literally doesn't matter.
www.resetera.com

Anyone investing emotional weight or faith in being fans of “the most powerful console” is going to have a bad time. They will both be great machines. It really doesn’t matter.
Anyone investing emotional weight or faith in being fans of "the most powerful console" is going to have a bad time.

They will both be great machines. It really doesn't matter.
www.resetera.com

The Verge: Xbox chief says Project Scarlett ‘will not be out of position on power or price’

He's saying Scarlett will cost and perform similar to the PS5. No more, no less.
He's saying Scarlett will cost and perform similar to the PS5.

No more, no less.
www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT6| - Mostly Fan Noise and Hot Air

Well, yeah. I’m sure someone will say any difference is huge, but, yeah. That’s not really true anymore.
Kleegamefan said:
In terms of performance, they are essentially the same
Well, yeah. I'm sure someone will say any difference is huge, but, yeah.
www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT8| - The Dark Tower (See Staff Post)

I’m glad to see we’ve moved pass thinking the Github leak was confirmation of anything.
I'm glad to see we've moved pass thinking the Github leak was confirmation of anything.

Too bad he stopped posting here, maybe we could have learned more about these consoles.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I want MS to lead by a huge margin, and also believe the Github leak, here is what I think to be the most reasonable prediction one can make:

Xbox Series X - 12-13TFlops: 499$
PS5 - 12-13TFlops: 499$
Xbox Series S - 4-5TFlops : 299$

Deep down we all know that both Sony and MS will have very similar specs, but the one uncertainty is the XSS being a game changer. I for one cannot wait for the reactions once it gets announced.
How about:

XSX 12TF $699
PS5 9TF $499
XSS 5TF $399

?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Shall we refresh some memories? Let's go then... quotes and respective links for the lazy folks.

www.resetera.com

They are very close to each other. This isn’t like PS4 vs. XBO. It literally doesn’t matter.

www.resetera.com

Anyone investing emotional weight or faith in being fans of “the most powerful console” is going to have a bad time. They will both be great machines. It really doesn’t matter.

www.resetera.com

The Verge: Xbox chief says Project Scarlett ‘will not be out of position on power or price’

He's saying Scarlett will cost and perform similar to the PS5. No more, no less.

www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT6| - Mostly Fan Noise and Hot Air

Well, yeah. I’m sure someone will say any difference is huge, but, yeah. That’s not really true anymore.

www.resetera.com

I’m glad to see we’ve moved pass thinking the Github leak was confirmation of anything.

Too bad he stopped posting here, maybe we could have learned more about these consoles.

I still don't get how any "insider" could really make these claims confidently.. they would be based on non-final DevKits, not "the machines" we'll be using next year.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I think game producers who have a devkit have also some valuable information about the power of the consumer product.
Atleast about the set goals.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading that, but it's not a confirmation of anything, it's just his opinion. Remember what I said about third parties having different development kits?
That's what I am talking about here. Where are his sources? Is it third party? Is it Sony's first party?

We need more information and we don't have it. Just because he said that, doesn't make it true. I am not saying that he is lying, I am saying once again that not everyone is privy to the true specifications.

You have to be specific and look how one generic sentence that doesn't really say anything calms people's nerves.

It's simply not enough to convince me.
Convince, confirmation....

I'm convinced it's not confirmation of anything.

That's all Matt was asking with that post.

The posts before that where ppl starting finding questionable things in the data...I thought that would be enough to introduce doubt of it being confirmation of anything.

I guess reasonable doubt doesn't apply here.....

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I still don't get how any "insider" could really make these claims confidently.. they would be based on non-final DevKits, not "the machines" we'll be using next year.
Consoles manufactures give the non-final development kits to Devs AND their targets for the final retail products -> Devs tell Insiders -> Insiders make claims confidently

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

Thank you. This is clearly beyond speculation, opinion, guessing, soothsaying, prognosticaitng, or whatever other verb you want to substitute that doesn't mean stating fact.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nobody said it was 15%.

Lot of insiders said they were very close, or even twins.

Matt clarified at one point that he would consider 15% close.

That doesn't mean the difference is 15%, but implies that the difference would be < 15%.
But shouldn't it be listed as "what close means" for Matt! It adds context to all the other quotes!

cc sleepr

Anyway here are some more links.

Giving the nod to one platform:
www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT5| - It's in RDNA

OK, just to clear this up: I did not mean to be enigmatic (in this case at least), I thought my intention was clear. If I was forced to make an educated guess on the question of the relative strength of the PS5 and NextBox, I would have to give the nod to Microsoft. And now, I’m out.

What close means in terms of specs.
www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT7| - nm

I would consider ~15% difference or less to be very close, depending on other factors of course.

Conveniently forgotten!

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Consoles manufactures give the non-final development kits to Devs AND their targets for the final retail products -> Devs tell Insiders -> Insiders make claims confidently
And you can judge "performance" from target specs of systems that have customizations, and use different OS's / etc.?

edit: I meant to edit my post so it was clear I was referring to Klee's post about "performance".. must have ctrl-z'd or something.

Last edited:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Last edited:

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But shouldn't it be listed as "what close means" for Matt! It adds context to all the other quotes!

cc sleepr

Anyway here is the link. It falls into the time frame he also stated he expects the Xbox having the edge ...
www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT7| - nm

I would consider ~15% difference or less to be very close, depending on other factors of course.

True that he did say he expected Xbox to have the edge but, he also said before, that he doesn't know which console will end up being stronger.
That's why I think they're very close to each other, like he said.

Respective posts:

www.resetera.com

Ok, last post: I don’t know which console will be “stronger,” and don’t really care to be honest. Don’t get me wrong, the whole process is fascinating, and I love exploring why certain decisions are made, but the end result is really neither here nor there. One will be more powerful, and I’ll...
Ok, last post:

I don't know which console will be "stronger," and don't really care to be honest. Don't get me wrong, the whole process is fascinating, and I love exploring why certain decisions are made, but the end result is really neither here nor there. One will be more powerful, and I'll purchase third party games on whatever system that is. But I will buy both of them on Day 1, and I'm sure I'll enjoy them both very much.

But, as I have stated before, since the X came out that has been my main platform (save for exclusives on PS and PC, and a fair bit of Switch as well), and, back against the wall, I expect that trend to continue for the foreseeable future.

Nintendo will never chase "power" again, but as mobile chipsets get better and better I still expect lots of beautiful and fun games to come from them.
www.resetera.com

OK, just to clear this up: I did not mean to be enigmatic (in this case at least), I thought my intention was clear. If I was forced to make an educated guess on the question of the relative strength of the PS5 and NextBox, I would have to give the nod to Microsoft. And now, I’m out.
OK, just to clear this up:

I did not mean to be enigmatic (in this case at least), I thought my intention was clear. If I was forced to make an educated guess on the question of the relative strength of the PS5 and NextBox, I would have to give the nod to Microsoft.

And now, I'm out.

But as you can tell by his other posts, he definitely knows the specs and is updated on the info.
Like I said, too bad he stopped posting here maybe we'd learn something new from him.

And to be clear, I don't give a damn if PS5 is stronger than XSX or not. I'm just saying the github thing some of you guys keep pushing is not what PS5 will end up being.

I think both systems will be very close, something like 11 vs 12 TF (worse case PS5 ~10.24 TF), both will have advantages and disavantages. Both will be great machines.

Feb 26, 2018
User banned (1 month): Trolling, console warring over multiple posts. Long history of infractions for the same thing.
Or something like:

XSX 12TF $400
PS5 9TF $499
XSS 6TF $199

Status
Not open for further replies.