• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Between tons of games getting delayed, gaming news across PS5 and Switch Directs being a barren wasteland causing ERA to lose its collective mind and a deadly virus cancelling a ton of video game events and causing hardware shortages... 2020 is been a bad and weird fucking year for gaming so far.
It's been a month and a half.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fan fact, Ray Charles's eyes have zero rays per pixel.
891.jpg

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Yeah, the SSD is cool stuff but goodness prices are still high. I'm curious how they plan to address soaring storage sizes.
I'm hoping for a proprietary expansion slot and hope that it extends the storage space without you having to manage it. I don't want to choose between installing on drive X or drive Y, I want it to seem like one big unified storage. I don't mind buying a 1TB console if I know that later I will be able to buy a 1TB or 2TB expansion.

Too soon?

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping for a proprietary expansion slot and hope that it extends the storage space without you having to manage it. I don't want to choose between installing on drive X or drive Y, I want it to seem like one big unified storage. I don't mind buying a 1TB console if I know that later I will be able to buy a 1TB or 2TB expansion.

Too soon?

Definitely think they need some expanding storage capabilities.

No, perfect 👌. I like posting random stuff.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Fun fact, FFVII is another over 100GB game. Destiny with all released content is 165GB, most of MS's games are around the 100GB ballpark and COD:MW is well above 100GB with DLC. I really hope there is a 2TB PS5 SKU because it seems like I would really need one :)
Destiny is 100Gbish. 165Gb was he rumored space before release and turned out to be the free space needed to unpack/copy/install on ps4.
Let's hope that process is gone with the ps5.

OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Many people fail to realize that a lot of games these days have some extra bloat due to data duplication. Data is placed in multiple spots to help find it quicker. That shouldn't be needed with next-gen stuff.

Aug 26, 2019
Between tons of games getting delayed, gaming news across PS5 and Switch Directs being a barren wasteland causing ERA to lose its collective mind and a deadly virus cancelling a ton of video game events and causing hardware shortages... 2020 is been a bad and weird fucking year for gaming so far.
It's sort of killing my hype tbh. I thought that we'd be swimming in news once 2020 hit. But it has been week after week of drought and uncertainty.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many people fail to realize that a lot of games these days have some extra bloat due to data duplication. Data is placed in multiple spots to help find it quicker. That shouldn't be needed with next-gen stuff.
also, if ray tracing is being used for reflections, GI and/or shadows then that should free up GPU cycles traditionally used to render shadows, Ambient Occlusion, lighting and screenspace reflections.

OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
also, if ray tracing is being used for reflections, GI and/or shadows then that should free up GPU cycles traditionally used to render shadows, Ambient Occlusion, lighting and screenspace reflections.
Also, in theory, AI can be used to upscale textures so that giant texture packs aren't needed. There's lots of things that they can probably do to save on space given the extra power they're going to have in these boxes.

It's sort of killing my hype tbh. I thought that we'd be swimming in news once 2020 hit. But it has been week after week of drought and uncertainty.

Fret not, dear Go Bot. Things will come.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel

Destiny is 100Gbish. 165Gb was he rumored space before release and turned out to be the free space needed to unpack/copy/install on ps4.
Let's hope that process is gone with the ps5.
I just checked on steam, the PC version requires 105GB so you are probably right. But even a 100GB game, once you upgrade all the models with next-gen graphics, all the textures and shaders to next-gen resolution and variety, all the animations to next-gen level, etc. you will get huge install sizes in some games. Yeah, no asset duplication is nice, but in one of the most extreme asset duplication examples we have, Spider-man, only 20% of its install size is asset duplication so even after duplication is a thing of the past, games will still be well over what they are currently. Don't expect RDR3 to be under 150-200 GB. If the SSD in the PS5 will allow for ~800GB free space for games, I really need a 2TB SKU.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CES broke me. the amd conference with no info on ray tracing or big navi left me with blue balls then the logo reveal at the Sony conference literally kicked me in said balls. then i got banned for saying sony dropped the ball. worst ball related week ever.

that said, the bloomberg article confirms two things. sony went with a more expensive ps5. and more importantly they went with a more expensive cooling system. both things point to a monster of a console. not a conservative one like the ps4 and pro.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Why would they need 54 CU? I think the granularity is by group of 4 CUs.
IIRC, it's easier to turn off a whole SE than a specific SA, so in theory, all SE will have to have 9 active WGP in order to have hardware-level BC. So 54 CU (x3 SE with 9 WGP each) is probably the easiest option for Sony's BC if they want to go above 36 CUs.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But if we have negative ray tracing then storage size should go down. We'll end up with negative storage and then we'll be able to access the phantom zone of storage.

OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Wait, are you sure? AI does get used for upscaling stuff, but I wasn't under the impression it was being done in real time.
In theory it can be (I added an "in theory" to my post), but I don't know if it's been done in practice, though. But think about it. If you could run a current-gen looking game, but use a good amount of the CPU / GPU overhead to AI upscale some details, it could be a big win for storage space.

Just spitballing.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
In theory it can be (I added an "in theory" to my post), but I don't know if it's been done in practice, though. But think about it. If you could run a current-gen looking game, but use a good amount of the CPU / GPU overhead to AI upscale some details, it could be a big win for storage space.

Just spitballing.

It could be, but I do feel like most people would prefer to just delete something from their drive for extra performance (4K60, RT, etc).

It might be pretty useful on things even earlier than current-gen, though. Stuff like remasters of PS3 games, for example. Then you probably would have the overhead to go to reconstructed 4K60 and do the texture upscaling too.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Slightly less than a week till the 25th of Feb...I'm starting to prepare my soul for the departure from my current avatar.....poor Mr. Armstrong.

OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It could be, but I do feel like most people would prefer to just delete something from their drive for extra performance (4K60, RT, etc).

I wouldn't be so sure about that. You'd be surprised how many casual players I know that called me up and said "why is this telling me I don't have enough space to install this." Also, anything to reduce the install size of the game would help people in places that don't have great internet.

Hell, imagine this: AI upscaling of textures after the initial data has been downloaded. It won't help with the install size, but it would help with the download size.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Wonder how many people would accept next gen delay to Holiday 2021 if that means we would get 14tf RDNA 2 gpu

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of talk about using machine learning next gen. Even on Nvidia's side they are premiering their Ampere GPUs at GTC 2020, which will have a big focus on Deep Learning and AI.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The GitHub leaks are real and verified but we are not sure how up to date that data is and how it is connected to real hardware. It is the best leak we have, that is why everybody based his speculations on it.
Didn't Digital Foundry make a video saying the source was independently verified?
They did, but they only verified the SOURCE of the leak which was the github folder we all downloaded. He basically meant that he downloaded the folder himself and saw the same thing we did. I am sure he looked up the intern's name on linkedin like the rest of us.

What i am wondering is if Jason, Tom and the DF guys reached out to their dev sources in the industry to verify if the 9.2 tflops number is accurate. Should be a simple confirm or deny.

See the link Expy posted below to see exactly what Richard verified. he just verified that its a real internal AMD doc. he didnt validate the specs. im just surprised that no journalist bothered to follow up on the biggest data leak in the lead up to this gen. though i do understand that a lot of these devs dont care much for specs.
youtu.be

PlayStation 5/ Xbox Series X New GPU Spec Leak Analysis: 9.2TF vs 12TF?

Testing data from AMD recently leaked giving us some hint of the technical make-up of the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X. So what has been revealed, how...

Around 1:28 ish.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
Just wanted to say that consoles are not plastic boxes. They are a wonderful pinnacle of human capabilities! Amazing technology to the service of artists that give people so much joy in their lives. Just because some childish console warrior out there is using them to somehow validate his insecurities, do not despise consoles calling them plastic boxes. Instead, you should call some people meat boxes! 😂

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Just wanted to say that consoles are not plastic boxes. They are a wonderful pinnacle of human capabilities! Amazing technology to the service of artists that give people so much joy in their lives. Just because some childish console warrior out there is using them to somehow validate his insecurities, do not despise consoles calling them plastic boxes. Instead, you should call some people meat boxes! 😂
It's a toy

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, it's easier to turn off a whole SE than a specific SA, so in theory, all SE will have to have 9 active WGP in order to have hardware-level BC. So 54 CU (x3 SE with 9 WGP each) is probably the easiest option for Sony's BC if they want to go above 36 CUs.
Yeah, can you go ahead and source that if you get the time?

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think I did.... native mode would be either... the PS5 running PS4 games in their naive mode; i.e Native GPU CU number and Native clocks for the games that for whatever reason doesn't boost well or doesn't have a PS4pro patch or version. And running games with a dedicated PS4pro mode in their "native mode" without giving it a PS5 boost.

The point here is, we simply cannot know (regardless of the literature) if that is all the available resources the system has when what that leak showed was clearly BC testing.

Another point is this... if for any reason the PS5 is 9ish TF compared to the XSX 12ish TF.... I doubt a single person out there would be saying they are close in power much less some even saying he PS5 has the edge. There is just too much conflict between the two threads of information we have.
a) Let the comparison with the XSX out. Just let us look at the PS5 alone. I think the comparison is what makes it so hard for some to accept the 9.2TF assumption. I remember the days when I was predicting both consoles in parity and I also remember we both together discussed it and being on the same page that 9 or 10TF would be fabulous. I even made a bet that consoles would not exceed 10TF.

b) Native is normally defined as a capability using all available resources (HW resources / Software stack / memory). Oberon has those 2 hw BC modes providing a similar config to games for PS4 & PS4 Pro. But there is that 3rd native gen2 mode. This is the mode the chip runs "natively", means when executing games with access to all above mentioned resources. I do not see any gen3 mode leaked that would add another level of configuration with more CUs. This is the mode next gen games will run on. This is in my expectation the PS5 spec. "Native" provides "the ultimate boost mode" with no limitations for games that are capable to run under these conditions that are from the PS4/PS4 Pro era.

------------------------

I wouldn't be so sure about that. You'd be surprised how many casual players I know that called me up and said "why is this telling me I don't have enough space to install this." Also, anything to reduce the install size of the game would help people in places that don't have great internet.
-snip-
1-555-TRANSISTOR ???

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the 5700 non xt version has 4 disabled CUs. one in each shader array.

you dont need to turn off the entire SE.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Those numbers are wrong.
Ps4 shipped 7.5 million units in the first fiscal year.
So that analyst expect Sony to sell 1.5 million less Ps5

blog.us.playstation.com

PS4 Hits 6 Million, Ushers in New Era of Social Gameplay

As you’ve probably read by now, cumulative PS4 sales have now surpassed six million units worldwide following the successful launch in Japan just over a week ago. It’s truly humbling to see the rate at which gamers across the globe are choosing PS4 as their next gen console of choice. Even more...

6 million sold as of March 3. 🤷‍♂️

The analyst said "by March". If he meant "by the end of March", then fair enough.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
blog.us.playstation.com

PS4 Hits 6 Million, Ushers in New Era of Social Gameplay

As you’ve probably read by now, cumulative PS4 sales have now surpassed six million units worldwide following the successful launch in Japan just over a week ago. It’s truly humbling to see the rate at which gamers across the globe are choosing PS4 as their next gen console of choice. Even more...

6 million sold as of March 3. 🤷‍♂️

The analyst said "by March". If he meant "by the end of March", then fair enough.
i just hope they ship more than 1 million units in NA at launch. they all sold out on the first day and no one could find a ps4 for the last two weeks of november. iirc, december is when stores finally got the second shipment. they sold 0 units during black friday because they had no inventory.

and this is after skipping japan at launch. i wonder what they will do this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.