• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
SWNMQz7.jpg

I want to believe, but I cannot.

BelatedFlippantFreshwatereel-size_restricted.gif
BelatedFlippantFreshwatereel-size_restricted.gif
"Game tester on 4chan" instead of "someone on 4chan saying he is a game tester" isn't a good start for me...

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Never, in a million years will the PS5 have a 500gb storage device.

That's 3 Modern Warfares (including OS updates) for comparison.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
500gb? Good luck with that.. I can hardly have 4 games installed on my PS4 slim 500gb.Also have a problem everytime i update the game.

I think 1tb should be minimum even if we can delete singleplayer/multiplayer part of game.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
The literal meaning of official public statements is always a better bet than an indirect source, so it's 100% clear the PS5 has hardware support for ray tracing. Things get more complicated when an official statement is intentionally vague, but that's not the case here. Sure, there's a lot we don't know about the specific hardware acceleration implementation and how it will impact games but that's true for both consoles.

On the other hand, though, we also have people who take the GitHub leak as proof that the chip being tested can't be representative of the PS5's final APU due to the lack of ray tracing results. In practice, these documents were never intended to be consumer-facing. They merely reflect that whatever identifier the test suite uses to determine if it has ray tracing support is absent. That doesn't mean the hardware isn't capable of it, just that the specific test doesn't find it - possibly because the support is heavily customized or otherwise incompatible with the standard AMD testing for the feature.

I still wouldn't claim to know one way or another how much of what's in that information dump provides useful insight, but layperson attempts to interpret it are going to come up with a lot of inaccurate conclusions.
This is a logical take. I hope, at this point, everyone can really agree with this.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Interesting note that they do independently bolster the expensive cooling solution claim:
According to bloomberg, if sony splurged 4x the cost on ps5's cooling, they'd be paying as much as $3-4. I'd think it's safe to assume the lower end part absorbs many of the costs associated with design and manufacturing so performance vs price wouldn't be a linear increase.

As for GN, I think it's more to do with them knowing more of the workings at the 2 big cooling solution MFRs in china. They know how much coolers and cooling supplies cost wholesale and at various scales, so they could know what it would take and how much it would cost to cool a console.
I'd like to go back to their xbox one x tear down video. I would assume they mentioned the VC and costs associate with it.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully that is close to reality but 500gb is about 4.5 games installed.

Perhaps Sony has a very attainable expandable solution and is looking to save a few bucks on this area at launch and offset it to the user once you've got a few games installed or utilize a clever cache system. Some might not need 1-2tb for a while and others will be willing to get an additional drive

500gb or 1tb for new games will be a problem so I'd be looking designing it around allowing the consumer to add something like 2-4tb, as large and fast storage is only going to drop even more and can be picked up later in a hardware revision

Oct 27, 2017
To hit 12.6 TF with a lower-ish CU count (lower than 56 CUs), the config would likely have to be as follows:

52*64*2*1.9*0.001 = 12.6464

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
As for GN, I think it's more to do with them knowing more of the workings at the 2 big cooling solution MFRs in china. They know how much coolers and cooling supplies cost wholesale and at various scales, so they could know what it would take and how much it would cost to cool a console.
I'd like to go back to their xbox one x tear down video. I would assume they mentioned the VC and costs associate with it.
Interesting take - you don't think they have seen the dev kit in more detail than we have? Hrm. That is possible because he does say that he can talk about it more during the tear down. So maybe he doesn't know after all and we were simply misinterpreting his words?

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
A game tester that is privy to the specs of both machines...Yep, sounds credible to me!

What if it's a fusion of Yoshida and Spencer - created by a horrifying accident while visiting AMD's secret superconductor lab at the same time. Both technically test games before release, so they could call themself (itself?!) that to throw off the Sony ninjas that try to block all outside communication from the torture chamber/official tweet room they're kept.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hopefully that is close to reality but 500gb is about 4.5 games installed.

I'm not seeing the average game being around 110 GB when filesize will reduce/stagnate from this gen given the removal of needing assets redundacy. Current gen games go from anywhere from 20 to 60 gb on average, except for a few exceptions. I'd say 40 to 80 gb might be more likely than a 110 gb average.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Albert Penello is very very wrong if he believes Windows Central is not definitive proof of controlled leaks..

What I said was in my time at Xbox, I was never aware of, nor did I personally participate in, any 'controlled leaks'. I never said they didn't happen, but I think people assume this is some sort of standard procedure in the industry. I don't think it is. I didn't say it never happened but I'd be pretty confident it happens a lot less than people think.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if it's a fusion of Yoshida and Spencer - created by a horrifying accident while visiting AMD's secret superconductor lab at the same time. Both technically test games before release, so they could call themself (itself?!) that to throw off the Sony ninjas that try to block all outside communication from the torture chamber/official tweet room they're kept.
SPENSHIDA!

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
What I said was in my time at Xbox, I was never aware of, nor did I personally participate in, any 'controlled leaks'. I never said they didn't happen, but I think people assume this is some sort of standard procedure in the industry. I don't think it is. I didn't say it never happened but I'd be pretty confident it happens a lot less than people think.
I hope that ntkrnl story gets out some day.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love how these guys always try to make fake specs look "balanced":

- Xbox has better CPU clocks, but... PS5 has a better GPU

- PS5 has more RAM, but... Xbox has more bandwidth

- Xbox has a bigger SSD capacity, but... PS5 has faster SSD speed
Probably inspired by the comments we've been hearing about them being close in performance/no clear power advantage between both from Jason, etc. But yeah, as made up as any pastebin in this case.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Interesting take - you don't think they have seen the dev kit in more detail than we have? Hrm. That is possible because he does say that he can talk about it more during the tear down. So maybe he doesn't know after all and we were simply misinterpreting his words?

I don't think Steve has ever alluded to having close ties to game devs or companies so I'm not sure why they'd have 1st hand experience with dev kits. The previous times they've covered ps5/xsx news they haven't alluded to knowing things but not being able to disclose it. They do have strong ties to hardware manufacturers so if the ones in charge of console cooler design have reached out to them, they would indeed know things.

If Steve says he knows something or has info, I wouldn't question it for a second.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Do dev kits always have the same amount of storage as retail? And can they change from a version to another?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't mind me asking - pointing back a bit to the Bloomberg story - if there became some sort of unexpected rise in price for RAM component, how would Sony or MS handle this? Wouldn't they have some sort of fixed price purchasing contract in place that was already agreed upon? Thanks

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018

Next Kojima game plot right there!

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
If you don't mind me asking - pointing back a bit to the Bloomberg story - if there became some sort of unexpected rise in price for RAM component, how would Sony or MS handle this? Wouldn't they have some sort of fixed price purchasing contract in place that was already agreed upon? Thanks

It happened at Xbox One launch with the Hynix fire, and in that case you just eat it. As for contracts, it depends on why there is a shortage.

It's a good call out. Sony usually does a good job locking in component prices over long periods of time, which is something I hadn't thought about until you brought it up.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
It happened at Xbox One launch with the Hynix fire, and in that case you just eat it. As for contracts, it depends on why there is a shortage.

It's a good call out. Sony usually does a good job locking in component prices over long periods of time, which is something I hadn't thought about until you brought it up.

I'd imagine a fire would trigger force majeure?

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I'd say the bigger issue is over application. They tend to have gobs of paste which just creates a higher resistance path to the heatsink.

@12:24

Only issue I could see with too much is sony using a conductive TIM that leaks out to the smds and potentially shorts things out.

Never, in a million years will the PS5 have a 500gb storage device.

That's 3 Modern Warfares (including OS updates) for comparison.
If the OS works the same as ps4, you wouldn't have enough free space to update those 3 MWs.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
You're off your rocker if you think GN is clickbait. GN painstakingly provides disclosure statements, avoids sensationalism, is selective with their advertisers, and outright refuses to run sponsored content or reviews. He only addressed specifically because another news outlet ran the story. It wasn't in the title or even the show notes.
I can vouch for this statement, GN is top notch and not some cheap clickbaity site.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Only issue I could see with too much is sony using a conductive TIM that leaks out to the smds and potentially shorts things out.
I assume they use a non-conductive paste for that reason.

_______

Polyphony's Yamauchi wants 120-240 FPS on PS5. Yes please.

www.gtplanet.net

Gran Turismo's Future: "4K Resolution is Enough", But 240fps is the Target

Kazunori Yamauchi has made some interesting comments about the future direction of Gran Turismo's graphics. The Polyphony Digital studio boss has suggested that frame rate, rather than display resolution, may be the area in which the next titles in the series look to improve. Yamauchi was partici

pharmboy044

Oct 27, 2017
What's this I'm reading Sony is limited when it comes to the total of CU's they can have is because of how they are doing their backwards compatibly? Is this what the thinking is right now? Is this the reason why people are putting credence in the Github leaks? It would be pretty crazy if this was true. Hopefully it's not.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I assume they use a non-conductive paste for that reason.

_______
Probably the main one, yup.

Just watched the video and yeah, his teardown mention tells me the cost is pretty specific to PS5 and what sony decided to use rather than GN knowledge of the industry.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
What's this I'm reading Sony is limited when it comes to the total of CU's they can have is because of how they are doing their backwards compatibly? Is this what the thinking is right now? Is this the reason why people are putting credence in the Github leaks? It would be pretty crazy if this was true. Hopefully it's not.
People are putting credence in the GitHub leaks because it at least looks legit, nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.