• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I was thinking about sony's double sided cooling patent and I was thinking is it actually a good idea?
At first glance I think "mmmm double the heatsinks + fans = double the cooling" but is this actually the case? Would just a bigger one sided heatsink and fan do just as good a job?
One advantage double sided cooling could be to have is a smaller console size, where ms just did the more obvious thing of adjusting the dimensions of there XsX.
The closer the heat sink material is to the heat source the more effective it is. Heat sinks don't evenly distribute the heat amongst all the fins. The fins at the base are much hotter than the fins furthest out. Taking half of the height of the heat sink and putting it on the bottom of the chip will increase the efficiency of the material. Heat pipes help the outside fins get more heat but not anywhere near 100% efficiency, and typically are made out of copper which can be expensive.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I'm not sure if it helps, but according to wikipedia
the PS3 RSX GPU had 400.4 GFLOPS and
the XBOX360 XENOS GPU had 240 GFLOPS

So, ....
no clue what i even try to say ;-)

EDIT:
wikipedia seems to have some wrong numbers for the RSX, on the specific RSX site they tell about 192 GFLOPS.
Which seems to be more believable.
That post is now even more worthless.

Last edited:

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He also said 8TF is needed for 4K.

Yet now 9 sucks.

That was in reference to PS4 games. A graphical leap for PS5 is expected along with native 4K.
A 9 TF machine sounds good for a 399 priced machine but, we now know PS5 BOM is at least 450 dollars, so you're not getting a 9 TF machine.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
No they didn't. PS2's profits were maybe a fifth or less of PS4's even though the PS2 sold 50% more in both hardware and software. They also had PSP back then on top of that.

People insist to compare the PS1/2 period with the PS4 even though they aren't really comparable. Nothing implies that Sony is taking a hit of more than $50. Past trends don't apply when ALL major parameters have changed.
PS2's profits were lower because in 2020 you make a lot more money from the same size user base. Today Sony gets twice the revenue from a digital game than a physical copy and billions from DLC and subscriptions, it changes the revenue stream. PS2 was very profitable, don't confuse that with Sony not even trying or caring about profit just because PS4 is making a lot more money. I would actually argue the opposite, in 2020 it's much easier for Sony to lose money per console sold than in 2000. If Sony needs to sell a 450$ BOM PS5 for 399$, they will sell it for 399$.

We know they are likely extremely similar due to shared design goals and convergence of optimal solutions. It is unlikely a single component, whether it be RAM, storage, or APU is responsible solely for that $70 increase. It stands to reason that the APU will be some portion of it, and mm for mm, they'll have roughly equal performance unless Sony pulls significantly higher clocks out of their butt. You'd also have to presume Microsoft couldn't match those clocks.
If we assume PS5 will have a more expensive SSD solution (and this forum assumes a more powerful ARM processor for decompression and an ESRAM pool) then we are assuming the XSX has a higher BOM mark while at the same time having a cheaper SSD, which widens the theoretical gap in other areas of the console, like the APU for example.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I hope they are identical honestly. And priced similarly.
I don't believe they would be.

Again, there is precedent for this. MS has a history and of using the best of the shelf stuff they can use. there is nothing wrong with this. It's a sound straightforward strategy. Sony has however shown that they are more likely to tinker with things and be a little more conservative. Maybe it's a culture thing, idk.

MS is more likely to make a 400mm2 APU, pack-in 20-24GB of GDDR6 and the best off the shelf SSD they can get their hands on. This is not a bad thing. Sony, on the other hand, is more likely to try and do more with less. To accomplish that would mean they invest more in everything else except the APU. That they try and be smarter about things. So they could end up with less RAMut more bandwidth. A smaller APU but a higher clocked GPU. A different but faster type of SSD.

None of this means MS is stupid, or sony is smart... just means that both companies went about designing their consoles in very different ways. And fo very different reasons. And everything I have said could still end up with them being priced similarly.

Feb 10, 2018
The closer the heat sink material is to the heat source the more effective it is. Heat sinks don't evenly distribute the heat amongst all the fins. The fins at the base are much hotter than the fins furthest out. Taking half of the height of the heat sink and putting it on the bottom of the chip will increase the efficiency of the material. Heat pipes help the outside fins get more heat but not anywhere near 100% efficiency, and typically are made out of copper which can be expensive.

somebody replied with nearly the opposite of this lol.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Double sided cooling usually doesn't work, as the only part of the chip that makes heat is the actual silicon die, and you have a giant PCB board between that and the cooling apparatus on the back. That's why CPU's and GPU's don't cool the back - there is no point. Sony needs a very strange PCB design to make that work.
I think the idea of it, from the patent, is that there's conducting paths from one side of the pcb to the other, so heat can travel from both sides of the soc/die. You won't get a perfect 50/50 split of heat dissipation from top to bottom obviously, but I presume you'd only go with a solution like this in the first place if the dissipation contribution of the backside is substantial enough to make it worthwhile.
When a device is dissipating heat, there are multiple traversal options: vertical or lateral. The vast, vast majority actually moves down vertically through the semiconductor material. Semiconductors typically have much better thermal conductivity than passivation layers above (dielectrics).
The fact that this chip is then surface mounted to a dielectric layer (PCB) doesn't change this fact. If the design facilitates cooling through the PCB, in the form of metal vias and a large metal fixture, this is a great, effective method for thermal management.

in the case of a certain application, let's say cellular base station PA, where the transistors are dissipating hundreds or thousands of watts in highly modulated signals GaN HEMT technology is often used. When creating the GaN devices, the GaN device and base layer sits on top of a foreign substrate, often SiC, which has a very high (one of the highest among SC technology) thermal conductivity. Often times, the wafer is thinned to 2-4 mils and will be mounted to a heat sink (ie metal). Little concern, if any, is ever given to heat dissipation from the top.

And thermal management is considered at a top priority as it is directly related to reliability and therefore deployment cost and adoption.

TLDR: it makes sense to focus on removing heat from the underside of the device

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
9 tflops - kfc chicken. greasy trash tier tasteless chicken
11 tflops - chick fila. decent chicken but you feel bad eating it
13 tflops - popeyes chicken. worth the heartburn and cholesterol issues.

After puking from bad chicken for the last two days, this post made me nauseated.

Feb 10, 2018
Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
9 tflops - kfc chicken. greasy trash tier tasteless chicken
11 tflops - chick fila. decent chicken but you feel bad eating it
13 tflops - popeyes chicken. worth the heartburn and cholesterol issues.

9 tflops - dunkin donuts/mcdonalds trashy lattes
11 tflops - making a latte yourself
13 tflops - going to a local coffee shoppe and getting the best darn latte evar

Vegan unfriendly comparisons here.

Highlighting this!

sleepr

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well this very thread has plenty of folk choosing not to accept Bloomberg so we sure the BOM is $450?m

We're not 100% sure ofc but, Zhuge did said he expected a minimum of 450 and I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about.
We'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Oct 25, 2017
So then that lends more credence to the idea 9 on new architecture doesn't suck no?
I was just providing clarification.

This has been quoted out of context so often it has lost all meaning. The whole point was that ~8TF is required to match the level of visuals games achieve on the PS4 at 1080p. If games on the PS5 look exactly like PS4 games just running at a native 4K I would indeed be disappointed.
Like this, for example.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I dint see a price war coming - if either side undercut the other by a significant amount, the other side would be forced to match. And they just know that. So it just hurts the bottom line if everyone.

so they make take small losses to get to eg $499 or a round number. But if both are expensive $499 consoles I think they'll both be ok competing at that price point rather than killing each other.

consumer demand notwithstanding- if that drops after 6-12 months then so will the price

Feb 10, 2018
Seems pretty silly to spend time and money on this fancy double sided cooling when they could of done the painfully obvious thing of just making the box bigger like MS did.
MS seem to have a first principles design approach, where they just did the most simple and obvious thing.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The E19T is here, it is the fastest Phison controller mainstream SSD controller. It means the SSD ARM CPU is less powerful than typical high-end SSD it means more pressure on the Xbox X86 Zen 2 CPU and no DRAM, all things form the SSD will be inside RAM. For example, the translation address table is typically 10% of the SSD size here it is 1GB.

I think you're assuming a lot. DRAM-less SSD typically store the translation address table in flash. Since MS is using an off the shelf controller I think it's likely doing the same.

But that's the point, 3GB of LPDDR3 RAM "à la PS4" just for background apps is a waste of RAM. Just make it 4 or 6 so you can have the whole OS running off from that pool and leave the main GDDR pool just for games.

You can't just shunt off the entire OS memory footprint to slow memory. The OS provides services the game needs on demand access to. You have to have it running in your fast memory.

Feb 10, 2018
Bigger boxes don't mean better cooling. A well-designed cooling system is how you go from the original Xbox One to the Xbox One S, smaller chips and doodads aside.

Then why make the XsX into a mini tower thicker then any console ever?
The extra thickness would allow for a taller heatsink, I don't know if a thicker heatsink is better then a thinner one but with more surface area?

sleepr

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The extra thickness would allow for a taller heatsink, I don't know if a thicker heatsink is better then a thinner one but with more surface area?

So it can be quiet/silent. Just like the xbox one (original) was quiet but it was bigger than PS4 which sounds like a jet engine (at least the original model).
AMD navi cards (5700XT and such) also come with vapor chamber to help cooling, both consoles will have them too. But I expect XSX to be more quiet no doubt.

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
if 450 USD BOM gets u a supposedly 9TF PS5... wouldn't SEX cost >600 by that logic? Couldn't help but bringt that one up, I chuckled. Sorry :D :D :D

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
That is something I can't answer until we open up the XsX for ourselves ^.^

But you can take a look at plenty of laptops and desktops that are out there and on sale for good examples of good cooling systems w/out compromising form factor.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
It's probably cheaper? But i wonder how would a console of such size will be received by the mainstream market.
This is an enthusiast forum, so power, price and form factor are valued differently from people that buy consoles for Fornite or annual Fifa or cod.
People here ask for specs that may mean problems to reach wide audiences.

Feb 10, 2018
So it can be quiet/silent. Just like the xbox one (original) was quiet but it was bigger than PS4 which sounds like a jet engine (at least the original model).

Silence was not a big design goal of the sxs, and they have said its about the same noise level as an 1x which is worse the OG X1 (well my 4 X1X's are!).
Phil said to the hardware team that power and performance was the goal of the XsX, to design a box dictated by this goal, that goal took precedence over everything else (apart from BOM limit)

sleepr

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Silence was not a big design goal of the sxs, and they have said its about the same noise level as an 1x which is worse the OG X1 (well my 4 X1X's are!).
Phil said to the hardware team that power and performance was the goal of the XsX, to design a box dictated by this goal, that goal took precedence over everything else (apart from BOM limit)

It's still a design goal or else everyone would be playing on vacuum cleaners.

Feb 10, 2018
It's probably cheaper? But i wonder how would a console of such size will be received by the mainstream market.
This is an enthusiast forum, so power, price and form factor are valued differently from people that buy consoles for Fornite or annual Fifa or cod.
People here ask for specs that may mean problems to reach wide audiences.

People who are put off by the size of the XsX will likely be the sort of people happy with a 1080p lockhart.
However the XsX's is not that big, I would not be surprised if the total volume of the ps5 + XsX is not that different. I don't think the mainstream care to much about console size, the XsX will look smaller then OG X1.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
if 450 USD BOM gets u a supposedly 9TF PS5... wouldn't SEX cost >600 by that logic? Couldn't help but bringt that one up, I chuckled. Sorry :D :D :D

yes and no

if Github is correct for PS5 that means they're pushing higher freqs which means worse yields.

Xbox is supposedly pushing lower freqs while potentially binning their APUS (Cloud/XSX/XSS) which means they could have way better yields.

There is a chance that despite performance disparity, the parts would cost roughly the same in the end if MS is going that route and the github leak is correct.

But there's a lot of assumptions there. Github being right is the first, Lockhart existing is another as well as binning.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Ok so I think to can help this Tflop conversation along. Here's an article explaining how different Tflops do not translate into real world performance. Showing a nearly 13Tflop Vega 64 GCN, being beat out in real world performance by 8 and 9 Tflop GPUs.

www.extremetech.com

RTX 2080 vs. Radeon VII vs. 5700 XT: Rendering and Compute Performance [Updated]

How do the AMD Radeon VII, Nvidia RTX 2080, and AMD's RDNA-based Radeon RX 5700 XT compare in professional applications? We take these solutions for a spin, with a particular examination of the new Blender version, 2.80.

Next we have a direct comparison of a 12.7Tflop GCN gpu getting spanked by a 9Tflop RDNA gpu. Hopefully this will help the Number guys understand that raw size doesn't matter as much as how you use them.

Feb 10, 2018
It's still a design goal or else everyone would be playing on vacuum cleaners.

I don't think they make fans as loud as vaccum cleaners, if the XsX is a quiet console it will be because of the talent of the design team not because it was a goal of high priority, Phil said "make the box as powerful as can and do what you need to do", this goal does contradict the goal of making a silent console.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"fancy" cooling solution is based on patents from sony about some sort of double-sided chip cooling thing. I didn't make that up. And furthermore, its the only way I see them being able to get their APU up to 1.9Ghz which is a 100Mhz lower than the leaked clocks suggest.

11.8TF GPU vs 10.7TF GPU (1.1TF difference). That around 10% difference in theoretical power. Trust me, that is going to result in identical real-world performance.

Having a 400Mhz+ PU clock advantage also doesn't mean that much in the real world. Especially when the CPUs are as powerful as they are, to begin with. And isn't "better" its more. But if you read between the lines the XSX doesn't have a separate RAM pool so of its 20GB of RAM its going to use some of that for the OS. The PS5 has a separate RAM pool (LPDDR3, again.. not making this up, both the PS4/PS4pro have DDR3RAM outside the primary GDDR5 pool.

So while the SXS has a better CPU and GPU. They are tied on the amount of available RAM for games, but the PS5 has the edge with RAMbandwidth and faster SSD. All resulting in what would be no more than a 10% advantage which means nothing at all. It's like a game runs at 48fps on the SXS, but the same game runs at 42fps on the PS5.... both games are either locked to 30fps on your screen or using VRR. Either way, it would make absolutely no difference at the end of the day.
Thank you for the explanation but ehm somehow i feel like you are talking down to me....

First of language barrier. So yes i meant better than more. 2nd yes i know the ps4/pro uses lpddr3.
400Mhz+C PU clock advantage can absolutely make a difference when you are stressing a system. Same with the GPU. Ever tried working with a stressed system?

The rest i agree with and makes sense.

Edit: Ignore this post for today....i've been drinking and ill fix it tomorrow

Last edited:

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
yes and no

if Github is correct for PS5 that means they're pushing higher freqs which means worse yields.

Xbox is supposedly pushing lower freqs while potentially binning their APUS (Cloud/XSX/XSS) which means they could have way better yields.

There is a chance that despite performance disparity, the parts would cost roughly the same in the end if MS is going that route and the github leak is correct.

But there's a lot of assumptions there. Github being right is the first, Lockhart existing is another as well as binning.

If Lockhart doesn't exist the XSX would be crazy expensive at 56 CUs.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
If Lockhart doesn't exist the XSX would be crazy expensive at 56 CUs.

I honestly think it's the right play to make to do Lockhart. At least economically speaking. It's just smart planning.

it would honestly make sense why Lockhart seems to be fairly fluid in terms of where perf is expected to land... at first it was 4 TF and then it was possibly as high as 6 or 7 TF... which could be an indication of yields

Status
Not open for further replies.