• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
A huge part of my point was that tangential cooling is not considered nearly as effective as standard axial or lateral fans for targeted cooling. We may well see the V / 5 design element in the final console somehow, but it doesn't explain the odd mechanical choice for a fan or their bifurcated nature from a functional standpoint.

Maybe we just don't know what is in the box.
It would really worry me if the consumer product designer has more to say then the system lead designer,
espacially when we are talking about a devkit.
And if the system lead designer doesn't know how to cool things down in a devkit,
that is even more scary.
Maybe those boxes are specific designed for a cooled down server envoirment, but i think that is not so.
Also, the logo has a 5 and to represent that in the design the box is like a V ?
I would say, atleast they tried. But that gimmick doesn't represent the logo.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
To be honest, that image doesn't actually symbolize leaks. It symbolizes a sinking ship that is desperately trying to be saved.

If his intention was to say leaks were coming, there are far more apt images to use.
Ouya is finished. You heard it here folks.
To Frostbite? Definitely not happening.
But otherwise?
giphy.gif

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
www.notebookcheck.net

AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS APU overtakes both the Ryzen 7 4800H and Intel's Core i7-9700K CPU in latest Time Spy benchmark leak

AMD’s Ryzen 7 4800HS APU has been spotted on the Time Spy benchmark, where it performed remarkably well judging on the reported score. Surprisingly, the chip with a 35 W TDP managed to overtake the 45 W Ryzen 7 4800H, which will undoubtedly delight future gaming-laptop buyers. Once again...

Not bad at all what could be the CPU of next-gen console.
Going back to this, anyone got any perspective on how many x current gen this would be?

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basically.

The only other thing I know some have mentioned is the design allows them to be stacked on top of each other without compromising airflow/cooling, but I personally don't know if it's common for devs to have multiple devkits right next to each other to the point of needing to stack them.
the thing is.. the PS4 dev kits could be stacked on top of each other without designing them this way. This is truly a peculiar design.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
the thing is.. the PS4 dev kits could be stacked on top of each other without designing them this way. This is truly a peculiar design.

True, though I think someone was speculating that there may be less heat transferred to the chassis with the PS5 devkit design that a typical box would. It's all just speculation anyway though.

I wish we could see the inside of them. *hearts for eyes emoji*

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the stack is to see how it would do in a form factor of that size. Maybe the PS5 will be the size of 2 stacked dev kits.

Yeah, why the V. I remember many OT ago someone came up with a possible reason for the V. 2 heat sinks? I can't remember know. anexanhume, gofreak, Flutter, somebody, lol. I think it was one of them.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
Aaaaaand the roster is updated! If anyone isn't on there, please lemme know and I'll get it fixed.

New exciting poll, too!
Screw it... I'm betting my avatar for the 3rd of March Transistor. I hope we get something that day. A WIRED article or at least a date announcement of the PlayStation Meeting or something. Getting real tired of these rumors popping up every other day, not sure which one to believe. REVEAL THE FULL SPECS ALREADY, SONY.

3rd March is also my younger brother's birthday.

Also, thanks Doct0r

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
True, though I think someone was speculating that there may be less heat transferred to the chassis with the PS5 devkit design that a typical box would. It's all just speculation anyway though.

I wish we could see the inside of them. *hearts for eyes emoji*

Maybe we should send that cleaner that took the pictures a bit holder and a security bit set.
I'm sure there could be some dust in the inside.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the stack is to see how it would do in a form factor of that size. Maybe the PS5 will be the size of 2 stacked dev kits.

Yeah, why the V. I remember many OT ago someone came up with a possible reason for the V. 2 heat sinks? I can't remember know. anexanhume, gofreak, Flutter, somebody, lol. I think it was one of them.
I think it was gofreak , and yes, zooming into the images you can make out metal fins on both sides. The speculation was that they could be cooling both top and bottom of the chip with a recent patentS

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
So the apu sits in the middle, with a heatsink on top and underneath, one heatsink goes to the right and one to the left ?
I'm just wondering why it is so slim in the middle.
Exactly like this and cool air is pulled in from the center, flows over the metal fins and cools and is exits out of the two sides larger plastic vents.

Oct 27, 2017
...still on an ME vibe, I remember someone making a really awesome fan trailer for Mass Effect 3 before it game out.

I'd love to see a next gen version of this.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Apple's main iPhone maker Foxconn (2317.TW) got the green light on Monday to reopen two major plants in China closed because of the coronavirus and aims to resume production even though only 10% of the workforce has returned so far, a source told Reuters.

www.reuters.com

Apple's main iPhone maker Foxconn to resume some Chinese production: source

Apple's main iPhone maker Foxconn <2317.TW> got the green light on Monday to reopen two major plants in China closed because of the coronavirus and aims to resume production even though only 10% of the workforce has returned so far, a source told Reuters.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I think it was gofreak , and yes, zooming into the images you can make out metal fins on both sides. The speculation was that they could be cooling both top and bottom of the chip with a recent patentS

Oh I completely forgot about that patent. I wonder if they would even use that tech in a devkit or just the retail unit though.

Either way I hope they use that patent for PS5 and not a future product because it sounds super cool. (pun accidental)

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I just hope they will invest maybe $0.20 into production and use some good cooling paste.
I don't want to change the paste in that setup, it sounds a little bit more complicated.

Solary

Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Ok this is gonna sound crazy but ever since I seen the dev kit my first gut reaction for whatever reason is that this thing is dual GPU / APU powered

perhaps just how the vent is setup up with two sections either side.

how feasible is it Sony go with a two Small APUs with perhaps 6 cpu cores on each (12 total) and about 7-9 TF gpu performance on each apu. Crossfire with a unified memory pool.

would a design like this be cheaper to produce on a silicon level. Two small chips vs one huge chip like Microsoft? Yields would be better cheaper to produce etc?

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok this is gonna sound crazy but ever since I seen the dev kit my first gut reaction for whatever reason is that this thing is dual GPU / APU powered

how feasible is it Sony go with a two Small APUs with perhaps 6 cpu cores on each (12 total) and about 7-9 TF gpu performance on each apu. Crossfire with a unified memory pool.

would a design like this be cheaper to produce on a silicon level. Two small chips vs one huge chip like Microsoft? Yields would be better cheaper to produce etc?
They would have to produce twice the amount of APU's to/if they sell at the rate of PS4. Instead of 1-2 million APU's/month they would need to produce 2-4 million. At a production level dual GPU's would be difficult.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017

PS5 is confirmed to be 8 cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.