• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Did we ever talk about why the ps5 devkit looks like it looks?
A slim middle part and 2 higher sides completely covered with air in- and outlets.
Does that show power?
Or does it say we messed up?

We've had a few guesses, but not a lot of evidence one way or another. Cooling two separate arms of the V shape is probably part of the obsession with dual-GPU designs. What looks to be a tangential or cross-flow design is wildly unconventional for consumer electronics applications. I can't imagine why they'd do something so unusual in a dev kit if they weren't using it as a test-bed for the retail version. It's not like you can't aggressively cool power-hungry designs in a fairly conventional tower arrangement! Apple's Mac Pro has a 1.5kW power supply, for instance.

Perhaps someone with relevant mechanical engineering expertise can comment, but I was under the impression this kind of design was relatively inefficient and better for moving air across a large area rather than targeted cooling.

IkarugaDE

Feb 3, 2020
Ah by the way, I wanted to share a funny thing with you.

A german news site said few months ago it is "highly possible" the real PS5 could look like the DevKit because "it was the same in the past with the other sony consoles".

Am I the only one or do you also think they smoked very shitty weed before writing that trash?

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
We've had a few guesses, but not a lot of evidence one way or another. Cooling two separate arms of the V shape is probably part of the obsession with dual-GPU designs. What looks to be a tangential or cross-flow design is wildly unconventional for consumer electronics applications. I can't imagine why they'd do something so unusual in a dev kit if they weren't using it as a test-bed for the retail version. It's not like you can't aggressively cool power-hungry designs in a fairly conventional tower arrangement! Apple's Mac Pro has a 1.5kW power supply, for instance.

Perhaps someone with relevant mechanical engineering expertise can comment, but I was under the impression this kind of design was relatively inefficient and better for moving air across a large area rather than targeted cooling.

Well, the design language kinda says "dual".
Maybe we have our next "ps3".

Well, better wait for some specs.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas

Basically.

The only other thing I know some have mentioned is the design allows them to be stacked on top of each other without compromising airflow/cooling, but I personally don't know if it's common for devs to have multiple devkits right next to each other to the point of needing to stack them.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm just waiting for everything to leak at this point. Seems more likely then official information these days.

Got to hand Microsoft and Sony huge props for managing to keep next gen completely 100% secret so far with seemingly nothing leaked at all.
Yeah. Its so cool drives us crazy and we love it

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
If you use twitter's native gif search, and type in "sinking ship" that same gif appears in the 6th line of results.

So I'd agree and say this was about anthem not console leaks.
I'd find it hard to believe someone like Geoff would post that sort of image about a game, even if he did delete it right away

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I'd find it hard to believe someone like Geoff would post that sort of image about a game, even if he did delete it right away
To be honest, that image doesn't actually symbolize leaks. It symbolizes a sinking ship that is desperately trying to be saved.

If his intention was to say leaks were coming, there are far more apt images to use.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. It's strange even Apple is not able anymore to reveal a surprise at their keynotes. 10 years ago they kept their secrets better than the CIA.
That's because Apple releases most products straight after their keynotes. When products enter full production is when everything leaks these days. If Sony doesn't mention anything by May, everything will leak.

IkarugaDE

Feb 3, 2020
That's because Apple releases most products straight after their keynotes. When products enter full production is when everything leaks these days. If Sony doesn't mention anything by May, everything will leak.
Thats right but Apple did the same in 2010/2011 like today, but even then a new iPhone was a hard secret at this time.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
The Geoff Keighly tweet is almost certainly in reference to Anthem, I do not think he would tweet about any leaks simply because he is a very big figure and a big insider, so he will not want to anger any big publishers or even the console manufacturers

Oct 27, 2017
I was watching the old Mass Effect 2 trailers, and I think it would be really cool to see a next gen remaster of the trilogy (with RT and probably on Frostbite), that looks like the more along the lines of the cinematic trailer.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
For a big, top end PC GPU? I don't know about that, as the most likely configuration for 16GB would be 256 bit bus, which would require fast/expensive RAM in order to hit higher bandwidths. This leak suggest a 384 bit bus, which seems more likely, even if it ends up begin 12GB instead of 24.

Oct 27, 2017

Because they need aggressive cooling, and it plays into the design (i.e., the Roman numeral for 5 is "V").

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I can't believe its been 2 months since series x was revealed and nothing happened since then.

Feels like I lost interest in following these things, might check once every few days, but that's about it for me.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Good thing about February being here is that i'm not obsessed with this topic anymore.
Any news / possible leaks during the last week?

Oct 27, 2017
To Frostbite? Definitely not happening.
I'm just throwing Frostbite out there because its EAs thing. I absolutely won't be disappointed if its UE4.x (especially having read about the Frostbit woes over the years).

In any case, the point I wanted to make was that it would be cool to see it them match or surpass the cinematic trailer. I would get a real kick out of seeing them market the games with the original trailers shot for shot but with much higher IQ / models / assets etc etc.

Last edited:

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Thats right but Apple did the same in 2010/2011 like today, but even then a new iPhone was a hard secret at this time.

Apple secrecy is still obsessive internally. Virtually all leaks come from external partners, and it has gotten harder to keep secrets when you're the industry leader rather than an underdog. Whole industries have sprung up around Apple, analyzing their every move and supplier. When nobody outside is involved it can be a very different story. I worked on a project there that didn't just surprise the world, but also the vast majority of people inside Apple. So it does still happen.

Because they need aggressive cooling, and it plays into the design (i.e., the Roman numeral for 5 is "V").

A huge part of my point was that tangential cooling is not considered nearly as effective as standard axial or lateral fans for targeted cooling. We may well see the V / 5 design element in the final console somehow, but it doesn't explain the odd mechanical choice for a fan or their bifurcated nature from a functional standpoint.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it's time for some Sony leaks. No idea why everyone is so silent.
sony rn

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.