• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
Also something new to talk about....

STORAGE:

So, 1 TB SSD is probably going to be standard next generation out of the box. The space problem is not going to be solved but maybe helped by some ways....

1) Splitting apart games such as single player and multiplayer games being split so that only what you want to play gets installed.

2) Using GPU decompression of assets on-the-fly.

3) Deduplication of assets that no longer need to exist twice on storage.

4) Super Resolution!!! Finally! The process of using the "cloud" to train deep learning of what 4K assets are supposed to look like and then use that training on-the-fly to recreate the low resolution image to be 4K.

A.I. is a fascinating subject and I am a really big fan of this kind of processing. I would fully expect to see Microsoft working on this and maybe Sony as well as they seem to be doing a lot of A.I. related projects.

What do you all think?

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
This whole dedicated thing is just breeding confusion. There is no such thing.

As far as the GPU is concerned, you either have built-in hardware support for RT or hardware that is capable of running RT in software. Now any GPU can runRT in software, albeit it will cripple the GPU, but its possible. So if these companies are saying we have hardware-based RT, then what they are saying should be taken literally. They have hardware in the GPU (be it APIs that repurpose specific hardware already existing in their GPU for specific RT tasks that wil "accelerate" the process or components built into the GPU like TMUs are built-in for textures or how current-gen GPUs had ACUs).

Well, what did Nvidia use? Did they not have dedicated hardware cores or not?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
The bet with Xeontech is, I lose if any console is reaching 12 TF. When we made the bet I was not expecting that. I was expecting around 10 TF slightly below or above. Xeontech already made a wonderful ugly avatar for me with tears and cheesecake involved!

That's one of the spiciest bet outcomes I've seen. You thought the console ceiling was 10TF, you lost. Xeontech hoped PS5 would be the one to reach 12TF. He lost too. 🤣

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

STORAGE:

So, 1 TB SSD is probably going to be standard next generation out of the box. The space problem is not going to be solved but maybe helped by some ways....

1) Splitting apart games such as single player and multiplayer games being split so that only what you want to play gets installed.

4) Super Resolution!!! Finally! The process of using the "cloud" to train deep learning of what 4K assets are supposed to look like and then use that training on-the-fly to recreate the low resolution image to be 4K.

A.I. is a fascinating subject and I am a really big fan of this kind of processing. I would fully expect to see Microsoft working on this and maybe Sony as well as they seem to be doing a lot of A.I. related projects.

What do you all think?
1) already in place this gen
2) dito
4) was just recently reported for Xbox (interview)
add expendable SSD NVMe storage with CFexpress, rumored/leaked by bdsams based on pre-production XSX SKU interface connectors from a image leak.

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
Yes, Kleegamefan said it. You can find it yourself in previous OT's. Its been discussed as naseum.

#2. How anyone can still be pushing this narrative is beyond me. RT accelerating hardware in the GPU.

"I am talking about development, not retail here..."

Klee had talked about the Xbox Series X not using GCN with the 12 TF as he said it was NAVI, but I have not seen him talk about GCN using the development kits on PS5 and if it is a secret security thing, how could he have known?

When the data is not adding up, you have to look to see where the differences are and I just can't see the development kit being 9 TF for third parties right now. I can't. Why do you think they are so big? They are big because they are using hot hardware that is not meant for a "retail" experience.

That's why they are 12 TF, because the third party development kits are hot and big because they are not using anything close to retail.
As we get closer to that retail box, the development kits will start to slim down and become much smaller over time and that 8-9 TF now becomes more of a reality.

As I have stated, I do not believe any insider here is lying, I just think that they are not aware of the security and secrecy that Sony is doing and not many insiders here know about first party, only third party so Sony doesn't have control over third party they have over first party, so it makes more sense for them to put out a smoke screen so things won't be leaked.

Look how how hard it is to get information about the PS5 right now, real "true" information. Why do you think that this is?
Sony themselves is trying to limit the amount of "real" information for security purposes.

This is why I value the github leaks over the insiders, not that they are lying, they are just being mislead by the security of Sony themselves.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

STORAGE:

What do you all think?
I genuinely hope that next-gen games will be SMALLER than current-gen games instead of bigger or even the same, and it's possible because of the reasons you list. But I don't know if I trust third-party developers to actually do things that can decrease the file size. Many of them seem to literally not care whatsoever about file size.

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
1) already in place this gen
2) dito
4) was just recently reported for Xbox (interview)
add expendable SSD NVMe storage with CFexpress, rumored/leaked by bdsams based on pre-production XSX SKU interface connectors from a image leak.

Yeah, I saw the expand-ability and that makes sense but not the way he explained it. It's not some flash based memory card, but probably by an NVME storage card of some sort.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's why they are 12 TF, because the third party development kits are hot and big because they are not using anything close to retail.
As we get closer to that retail box, the development kits will start to slim down and become much smaller over time and that 8-9 TF now becomes more of a reality.
Let's have dev kits that are 33% more powerful than the retail product you actually have to develop games for, genius! Your conspiracy theories in this thread are next level

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
The bet with Xeontech is, I lose if any console is reaching 12 TF. When we made the bet I was not expecting that. I was expecting around 10 TF slightly below or above for both consoles. Xeontech already made a wonderful ugly avatar for me with tears and cheesecake involved!

You love cheesecake though xD

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
Let's have dev kits that are 33% more powerful than the retail product you actually have to develop games for, genius! Your conspiracy theories in this thread are next level

I guess you really didn't see or understand what I was talking about when I said that the PS5 development kits for third parties are using GCN 12 TF which is equal to 9 TF NAVI on the retail PS5 console as Sony is doing this for security reasons so that the real leaking does not happen.

I fully expect 9 TF NAVI to be the retail target of the PS5.

That solves the entire problem and it also explains why the "insiders" are saying that the Xbox Series X and PS5 are close. I honestly don't expect them to be close at all.

Last edited:

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
I genuinely hope that next-gen games will be SMALLER than current-gen games instead of bigger or even the same, and it's possible because of the reasons you list. But I don't know if I trust third-party developers to actually do things that can decrease the file size. Many of them seem to literally not care whatsoever about file size.

If they make it "standard" third parties could adopt it. I am honestly not concerned for space. I was laughing at IGN's Unlocked as they thought there is no way that next generation consoles don't have a 2 TB SSD. A 2 TB SSD costs a ton of money right now and will be that way still by end of year. Even at cost it's too expensive, that's not going to happen unless they create an option for it and I don't see that happening at launch, maybe several years down the road.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
edit 46: because i like editing

here's the controller apparently being used in the XSX (and possibly PS5)... it does support CFX

that would mean with high likelihood the CFexpress card in XSX would be the same speed as the internal SSD.

but man those prices need to drop fast. there is another possibility... it might only be usable by developers to load games to test.

Last edited:

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Yeah, attracting new customers into MS universe by selling a console without a controller will go down an absolute treat. Im sure there are millions of PS4 users with several XB controllers just lying around.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Yeah, attracting new customers into MS universe by selling a console without a controller will go down an absolute treat. Im sure there are millions of PS4 users with several XB controllers just lying around.
I thought you were kidding at first but then I realized if they offered a sku without one that wouldn't be so bad.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
controllers only cost like $20 to manufacture.

i guess a digital only console and no controller can maybe shave off close to $50? but these are pretty major stuff to give up on for being $50 cheaper.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
There would be 2 skus you dingus. But those used controller prices are too damn high. WTF.
One of the worst idea i've ever seen in this site. A controller is a central pillar of the experience and absolutely required in every standard proposition. This is why no one in recent history cut it out from a bundle.

You can change the storage or even make a diskless sku but removing the controller is insane even with a multiple sku strategy.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
One of the worst idea i've ever seen in this site. A controller is a central pillar of the experience and absolutely required in every standard proposition. This is why no one in recent history cut it out from a bundle.

You can change the storage or even make a diskless sku but removing the controller is insane even with a multiple sku strategy.
but then it happened

Status
Not open for further replies.