• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adum

May 30, 2019
WHAT WE DON'T KNOW AT ALL BUT PRETEND TO:
  • How strong these consoles are
Right, but we can make some well educated guesses since we know the physical dimensions of the SeX chip and the performance figures we get from that lines up with what MS has been saying about their performance targets.

I wonder why Jim Ryan failed to mention "hardware ray tracing" when listing PS5 features? Forgot or Freudian slip. Curious.🤔 https://youtu.be/E429XW4isFs
No.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
EQMMtHkU0AEXHyy

I consider this as the good last piece of information on PS5 with something confirming the custom SSD. Using the search "the built for purpose SSD storage" in Google. I find great information, this time linked to custom SSD in a data center using the same name. And some information about complex data compression and compression ratio. Currently, SSDs in datacenter use another name and they said exactly the same thing I said for months.

FlashArray//X moves beyond the legacy SSD architectures that are architected to make flash pretend to be a hard
disk.
Instead, DirectFlash within Purity speaks directly to raw NAND with a super-efficient NVMe protocol and leverages
NVMe-oF for even faster network speeds between the array and application servers. DirectFlash is implemented
in four components:

Here comparing it to an HDD they talk about keeping high performance without the need to duplicate the data and they talk too about adding complex compression they have an efficiency of 5 to 1 but this is not the ratio compression because it involves the deduplication of data but if for example, the compression ratio is 4 to 1 using hardware decompressor like in the Sony patent an SSD with a sequential speed of 3.5 GB/s you can reach a maximum theoretical speed of 14 GB/s. This is whey they show this very high number in Sony patent. The difference you don't need machine learning your workload will be precise with gaming and using hardware decompressor you will have some precise compression algorithms.

Purity Reduce: The FlashArray leverages five forms of inline and post-process data reduction, including compression
and deduplication. Data reduction is always-on and operates at a variable block size, enabling effective reduction across
mixed workloads without tuning. Because different kinds of data compress differently, it applies multiple compression
algorithms
over time and uses machine learning to identify the best compression for your workloads. Data reduction
averages an industry-leading 5:1 with a total efficiency of 10:1 (including thin provisioning).

And the last secret but I talked about it is data predictability of videogames and like currently on HDD having the data as sequential as possible but because random reads aren't as costly than on HDD and the I/O is parallel you don't need duplication of data. If the parallel I/O can cover some random reads it is ok, you will never have a problem. This is the case here in this example concerning Baidu. The data is not fully contiguous, here they write at minimum 8 MB of data sequentially after they need to do a random read but they have high read efficiency.

In the experiments we first run microbenchmarks that issue random read requests of different sizes (8 KB, 16 KB, and 64 KB) and 8 MB write requests to each of the three devices. For SDF we use 44 threads—one for each channel— to exploit its hardware parallelism. For the other two devices, only one thread is used because they expose only one channel, and the thread issues asynchronous requests. For SDF all requests are synchronously issued and the benchmarks issue requests as rapidly as possible to keep all channels busy. The results are reported in Table 4. Because SDF does not allow writes smaller than 8 MB we use only 8 MB writes in the test.

From the table we can see that SDF enables throughput close to the architectural limits: for read its 8 MB-request throughout of 1.59 GB/s is 99% of the bandwidth limit imposed by the PCIe interface, and for write, 0.96 GB/s throughput is 94% of the flash's raw bandwidth. Even for reads with requests as small as 8 KB the throughout is 76% or more of the PCIe bandwidth limit.

You can reach nearly theoretical raw bandwidth SSD speed.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
EQMMtHkU0AEXHyy

I consider this as the good last piece of information on PS5 with something confirming the custom SSD. Using the search "the built for purpose SSD storage" in Google. I find great information, this time linked to custom SSD in a data center using the same name. And some information about complex data compression and compression ratio. Currently, SSDs in datacenter use another name and they said exactly the same thing I said for months.

Here comparing it to an HDD they talk about keeping high performance without the need to duplicate the data and they talk too about adding complex compression they have an efficiency of 5 to 1 but this is not the ratio compression because it involves the deduplication of data but if for example, the compression ratio is 4 to 1 using hardware decompressor like in the Sony patent an SSD with a sequential speed of 3.5 GB/s you can reach a maximum theoretical speed of 14 GB/s. This is whey they show this very high number in Sony patent. The difference you don't need machine learning your workload will be precise with gaming and using hardware decompressor you will have some precise compression algorithms.

And the last secret but I talked about it is data predictability of videogames and like currently on HDD having the data as sequential as possible but because random reads aren't as costly than on HDD and the I/O is parallel you don't need duplication of data. If the parallel I/O can cover some random reads it is ok, you will never have a problem. This is the case here in this example concerning Baidu. The data is not fully contiguous, here they write at minimum 8 MB of data sequentially after they need to do a random read but they have high read efficiency.

They aren't replicating industry grade flash NAS/SAN appliances. Not only do they use specific compression mechanisms but do it for creating hashes to avoid sector re-writes on single drives - it also is block level writes across a drive array. Very different than what would be in a console.

If we want to look at advanced performance on a single flash drive at this level then reference FusionIO. It won't be any where near that but it's a better reference guide than anything Pure is up to.

That said, neither are correct references to what I'd imagine a 500 dollar console will do which will have lower write/rewrite capacity along with IOPs. Let's not use 20k drive array appliances as a guide for 200 dollar SSDs.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
They aren't replicating industry grade flash NAS/SAN appliances. Not only do they use specific compression mechanisms but do it for creating hashes to avoid sector re-writes on single drives - it also is block level writes across a drive array. Very different than what would be in a console.

If we want to look at advanced performance on a single flash drive at this level then reference FusionIO. It won't be any where near that but it's a better reference guide than anything Pure is up to.

That said, neither are correct references to what I'd imagine a 500 dollar console will do which will have lower write/rewrite capacity along with IOPs. Let's not use 20k drive array appliances as a guide for 200 dollar SSDs.

I just speak about the compression ratio this is one of the way they will improve the data they can push in RAM. I never said it will be at block level or exactly the same hardware solution. It will be compressed in software into the file archive system and if the devs optimize the engine and the data around the compression scheme it will be uncompressed in real-time with ASICs hardware decompressor leading to higher throughput.

Transistor I make a bet the SSD on the Sony side will be above 7 GB/s for optimized games for compression, parallel I/O and data install with fil archive file made especially for SSD. And I make the bet it will be easy to verify when IHS will open the console it will be an SSD with some ASIC hardware decompressor. And I will not bet it the compression ratio will probably be 3 or 4 to 1 with a complex scheme. It can be a one-month ban bet or if impossible an avatar bet. And the SSD will not be a 200 dollars at retail, I expect it to cost maximum like the BOM cost of this SSD(40 to 50 dollars), it was 114 dollars at retail rand maybe a the BOM cost of the SSD will be cheaper. A big part of the solution is software too.

Last edited:

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I speak about bom cost. I expect the SSD to have a max BOM cost as big as this one if they order it for PS5.

You believe Sony will be spending > $100 per console on the SSD chips alone? I seriously doubt that....

I've said before some of the parts BOM estimates (SSD, RAM especially) are being grossly exaggerated IMO.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
You believe Sony will be spending > $100 per console on the SSD chips alone? I seriously doubt that....

I've said before some of the parts BOM estimates (SSD, RAM especially) are being grossly exaggerated IMO.

I speak about the BOM cost of this SSD it was 114 dollars on release at retail , the BOM cost depending of the number of order is probably between 40 and 60 dollars. I expect Sony to spend around 40 to 50 dollars on the SSD.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I speak about the BOM cost of this SSD it was 114 dollars on release at retail , the BOM cost depending of the number of order is probably between 40 and 60 dollars. I expect Sony to spend around 40 to 50 dollars on the SSD.

Ah that makes more sense. When you said to me that you speak about the BOM cost I read it has referring to the $114! $40 to $60 is much more realistic.

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
Welcome. To address your theories:

1. Yes, the GCN to NAVI conversion theory has already been discussed and factored in. A fair one to say, had insiders not already said that the conversion does not apply on this case and that the 12TF is indeed 12TF NAVI. This also applies towards the XSX.

2. Could be a possibility. Then again, Cerny's own words were that the PS5 does have RT hardware acceleration. This leads me to believe that Sony is possibly working with AMD on their own solution. Will it be as robust as MS and their VRS solution? Time will tell.

Can you link me to the evidence of the "insiders" saying this for #1? Because I haven't seen that and I am not sure how they would have that information if Sony is keeping it quiet. I mean it would actually defeat the purpose of "security" for third parties.

The entire point of this is so leaks would be taken care of.

As for number #2, they both have hardware RT, it's just the matter of the word "dedicated hardware" verses just "hardware".

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Can you link me to the evidence of the "insiders" saying this for #1? Because I haven't seen that and I am not sure how they would have that information if Sony is keeping it quiet. I mean it would actually defeat the purpose of "security" for third parties.

As for number #2, they both have hardware RT, it's just the matter of the word "dedicated hardware" verses just "hardware".
Yes, Kleegamefan said it. You can find it yourself in previous OT's. Its been discussed as naseum.

#2. How anyone can still be pushing this narrative is beyond me. RT accelerating hardware in the GPU.

"There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware," he says, "which I believe is the statement that people were looking for."

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I am going to reserve judgment on the clock to larger wafer BOM argument. I am sure Sony has done the cost analysis many times long ago.

I mean we may have had 2 GHz clocks as early as Jan2019 or Dec2018.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

This whole dedicated thing is just breeding confusion. There is no such thing.

As far as the GPU is concerned, you either have built-in hardware support for RT or hardware that is capable of running RT in software. Now any GPU can runRT in software, albeit it will cripple the GPU, but its possible. So if these companies are saying we have hardware-based RT, then what they are saying should be taken literally. They have hardware in the GPU (be it APIs that repurpose specific hardware already existing in their GPU for specific RT tasks that wil "accelerate" the process or components built into the GPU like TMUs are built-in for textures or how current-gen GPUs had ACUs).

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
This whole dedicated thing is just breeding confusion. There is no such thing.

As far as the GPU is concerned, you either have built-in hardware support for RT or hardware that is capable of running RT in software. Now any GPU can runRT in software, albeit it will cripple the GPU, but its possible. So if these companies are saying we have hardware-based RT, then what they are saying should be taken literally. They have hardware in the GPU (be it APIs that repurpose specific hardware already existing in their GPU for specific RT tasks that wil "accelerate" the process or components built into the GPU like TMUs are built-in for textures or how current-gen GPUs had ACUs).
And RT-accelerated hardware in the GPU would not be taking TF's away from the rest of the console tasks?

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
Mid-gen boxes with noticeable ray-tracing performance upgrades would be appealing. The increase in teraflops doesn't have to be double.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Are we now at a point where we are saying that xsx has 12tf and specifc hardware for RT, that doesn't even have to draw power from this 12tf?
And ps5 has 9tf and for RT has to draw power from those?

I see it is getting worst and worst for the ps5, and it can only get better for xsx.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
EQMMtHkU0AEXHyy

Nice find via that link!

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Someone on reddit posted a rather interesting theory.

The last State of Play was on Tuesday, December 10.

Exactly 4 weeks later, on Tuesday, January 7,the PS5 logo was revealed.

Exactly 4 weeks later after that, on Tuesday, February 4, the PS5 website went up.

Exactly 4 weeks after that is Tuesday, March 3rd... what do you guys think? Does this sort of pattern often happen just by coincidence? Or is March 3rd the reveal date?

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

Exactly 4 weeks later after that, on Tuesday, February 4, the PS5 website went up.

Exactly 4 weeks after that is Tuesday, March 3rd... what do you guys think? Does this sort of pattern often happen just by coincidence? Or is March 3rd the reveal date?

Not sure about this but the 4th March was PS2 release date and 3rd March in EU/NA would make it the 4th in Japan.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

PlayStation 2's 20th anniversary is on March 4th :)

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
Are we now at a point where we are saying that xsx has 12tf and specifc hardware for RT, that doesn't even have to draw power from this 12tf?
And ps5 has 9tf and for RT has to draw power from those?

I see it is getting worst and worst for the ps5, and it can only get better for xsx.

4TF is coming... All these doom scenario's about Sony getting worse by the day.
I sometimes wonder if some members are hidden marketing employees of microsoft.
Downgrading the opponent to a level we probably didn't even had when Sony was arrogant.

Anyway if the PS5 is indeed less powerful then the xbox and sales don't go that well will this mean that this was Cerny's last time working on a console?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Mid-gen boxes with noticeable ray-tracing performance upgrades would be appealing. The increase in teraflops doesn't have to be double.

I wonder what MS would do if their console has the clear edge, it must still require a beefy enough upgrade to make people want it.
But then do you want two expensive top end consoles in your line up.

Oct 29, 2017
User warned: Platform warring
I can't imagine the Melt down and tears if the ps5 is more powerful than the Series X once specs are known and figures are released

XD

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India

Screw it... I'm betting my avatar for the 3rd of March Transistor. I hope we get something that day. A WIRED article or at least a date announcement of the PlayStation Meeting or something. Getting real tired of these rumors popping up every other day, not sure which one to believe. REVEAL THE FULL SPECS ALREADY, SONY.

3rd March is also my younger brother's birthday.

Also, thanks Doct0r

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Could also be Sony piggybacking on the most similar chip available at the time to do some BC testing.

It was an intern right? Could also be busy work for them with an old version.

Not saying it's those things, but that's why the context we're lacking matters.
The file has tests for ArielB0, OberonA0 and OberonB0, so I doubt it's just a random 5700 being tested. Regarding the intern, his job was to collect and aggregate the data, not to do the testing. Each test has a tester name attached to it (I always remove it for privacy when I take a screenshot), there are at least 12 different testers who worked on these tests, not including the intern.

• 36 cu at 2.0 ghz would be a 150w+ gpu. add 40-50w for the cpu and their apu alone is 200w.
  • if their goal was to hit 9.2 tflops, they would get there for less than 100w if they went with 1.35ghz and 54 CUs.
  • so to save 50mm2 or $10-15, they decided to take a cool a 200w apu that cant even hit 10 tflops.

its hilarious to me that the team that was supposedly team realistic and team thermals for over a year is now putting all their chips in the oberon 2.0 ghz basket. i can actually see sony going with a 9.2 tflops 1.35ghz 54cu gpu. that to me at least makes some sense even if it doesnt line up with other rumors from within the industry. because even then it would be a 150w apu that would require some kind of crazy cooling solution considering the entire ps4 pro consumed 150w.

with n7p and other arch improvements that result in 20% power savings, i can see 2.0 ghz being somewhat viable at around 120w for the gpu alone. but the same should apply to the 54cu configuration which would be under 80w for the same amount of tflops.

i wouldnt be surprised if the oberon 2.0 ghz tests are for BC with some kind of native boost mode that runs all pro games at native 4k 60 fps while disabling the remaining CUs and using the power left from disabling those CUs into increasing the clocks on the 36CUs. sony was afraid to put boost mode out at launch, but the mere 111 mhz clockspeed boost didnt cause any issues on ps4 games with no pro support. now imagine what they can do with 1,200 mhz with the same amount of CUs.
That's not how you build a balanced system. Both console manufacturers are probably trying to achieve peak performance and highest clocks they can for their budget (money, thermal and power draw). Sony and MS engineers aren't trying to hit some random TF number so Era members will be happy, they are trying to build the most performant machine they can with the budget they have.

Building a 54CU running at 1.35Ghz would probably be the stupidest thing you can do. Even the worst yield GPUs AMD has for PCs are over 1500Mhz. In addition, lots of CUs over clock speed aren't cheap as you make them to be because their costs don't scale linearly. The bigger the chip is, the more CUs it has, the worst yields are and more silicon goes to waste.

March 3rd - PS5 BR box art reveal :)

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
User banned (1 day): Platform wars. Community generalizations.
I can't imagine the Melt down and tears if the ps5 is more powerful than the Series X once specs are known and figures are released

XD

Considering this is ERA salt, tears and hate will be far more plentiful if rumors are true that Series X is more powerful.

foxbeldin

Oct 27, 2017

XD
I just want both of them to be very high and very close.

If the ps5 ends up being at 9.2tf while the xbox is at 12, i won't be mad at the power difference, it won't prevent me from purchasing it, but i'll be disappointed that sony could have gone for more but didn't.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018

XD

That is one fun scenario.
I see alot of fun times ahead.

xsx is under 12tf, but still more powerful then ps5.
But that doesn't matter, there will be a fallen god.

xsx costs $599 and ps5 $399, and series s is in no sight.
But there is game pass on pc, and ms doesn't want to sell hardware.
Still a lot of memes.

xsx is the absolute top product for $599, and ps5 as series s will sell for $399, with almost the same power.
Everyone is happy, well, not everyone.

xsx and ps5 reaching both about 12tf, almost identical.
We look back and laugh.

Lets see what timeline it will be.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland

XD
As a Sony fan, I would be really, really disappoint, because it would be that PlayStation 5 is either as expensive as Xbox Series X either Sony take a bigger loss on each console.

My hope is a console less powerfull, but also $100 cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.