• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, Flutter, you look gorgeous now!
fcb00c2c414bd31c21268565c4be74fc3400e545_hq.gif

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually i put it on myself, cause maybe that's what the mods wanted me to do?

Actually refreshed this thread a couple of times while waiting to see if there's a profile picture update lol

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be an interesting looking thread at the end of the month with all these avatars, lol.

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
While I do believe it will be a more 12Tf SeX to 10 something TF PS5.

I also believe all the tech will be the same in both except for some "special sauce" in either console that will be a different on both.

I think Sony's SSD tech will be more advanced and faster but RT will be better on SeX because of the brute force approach they will implement.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
people can't have a opinion anymore without them being trash?

There are some opinions that aren't based on anything resembling evidence. If you feel all opinions are worth debating, no matter what they are and what they're based on, I'm not sure what to say.

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
There are some opinions that aren't based on anything resembling evidence. If you feel all opinions are worth debating, no matter what they are and what they're based on, I'm not sure what to say.

i am just saying it's like this thread, the info he gave everyone else was also discussing so I just didn't think he was purposely giving false info or basing opinions on facts.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017

I admit I'm a regular viewer of this channel, but I have been disappoint their output lately. Seems like every other title is clickbait, they entertain every rumor no matter how silly sounding it is, going as far as reporting on random Pastebin postings, etc... It seems like they are just chasing the YouTube algorithm, and are posting whatever it is they can find here, on 4chan, on Pastebin, on Twitter and etc to have an excuse to upload something, anything on a daily basis.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I just feel like addressing some of the Leaker/Insider talk here over the last few weeks. It's been driving me nuts.

First, leakers are for the most part just not a thing.

How can I say that so clearly? It's pretty simple. There are still things about Xbox One, Switch, and PS4 that have never leaked that are under strict NDAs. They are things that would be easy to leak. Things the community would love to talk about. Things that literally thousands of people in the industry are aware of. Yet none of them leak it. You have never seen a full list of the cert requirements for the consoles. You have never seen any details about what is negotiated for timed or full exclusives. There are many others.

There are insiders. Many are active even here. Some post. Some lurk. None leak.

When you see "insiders" saying they have info, most often it is second or third hand. Frequently the insiders are not actually inside themselves. They know someone who is, overheard or were told some info, lack all context, yet think it would be cool to share it on a place like Era to get a little internet street cred.

I doubt there have been more than a couple true insiders who have leaked anything here or elsewhere. It's hard getting into the games industry. It's even harder to build your way into a position of confidence where you would have access to information that would be of any import to users on a forum like Era. Once you get that far, now the question becomes, "Am I willing to risk my career, the respect of my peers, and my monthly paycheck to get a few up votes online?". Imagine yourself for 5-10 years in the industry. The answer is an easy "Hell No!".

So where do some of the true statements come from?

Honestly, most of them are just good guesses by people who pay attention. Maybe once every decade a real Leaker emerges who gets caught fast, fired, and settles out of court for a shit ton of money before realizing they need to start a new career.

The rest are from people who thought they could trust a friend. They tell a friend a couple cool things in confidence. That friend tells another friend, and then it's over. It leaks. Frequently when this happens the actual insider realizes they fucked up, they probably don't get caught the first time, and they never do it again.

People in the industry talk to each other once they trust you. When I used to report from major shows I had some trust. People trusted me in part because I didn't promote myself since I exclusively sold my content to other sites. I had many a person at major studios or platform holders tell me stuff I could of sold as a scoop for hundreds of dollars. I never did. Why? Because I always asked first. A simple "Can I write a story about this?" almost always followed by a, "Please don't.". I never did in that case. I even had a drunk person once say yes. I followed up in the morning and he apologized and said no. When I didn't, he thanked me by introducing me to a few other people to get on the record interviews from.

People need to stop worshiping "insiders". They are almost never who you think they are or know anything first hand.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see the TRC for PS4. I used to handle TRC subs for ps one back in the day and I bet it's a million times more complicated now. We used to have to submit full play through on VHS(!) to prove the game was completable

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I just feel like addressing some of the Leaker/Insider talk here over the last few weeks. It's been driving me nuts.

First, leakers are for the most part just not a thing.

How can I say that so clearly? It's pretty simple. There are still things about Xbox One, Switch, and PS4 that have never leaked that are under strict NDAs. They are things that would be easy to leak. Things the community would love to talk about. Things that literally thousands of people in the industry are aware of. Yet none of them leak it. You have never seen a full list of the cert requirements for the consoles. You have never seen any details about what is negotiated for timed or full exclusives. There are many others.

There are insiders. Many are active even here. Some post. Some lurk. None leak.

When you see "insiders" saying they have info, most often it is second or third hand. Frequently the insiders are not actually inside themselves. They know someone who is, overheard or were told some info, lack all context, yet think it would be cool to share it on a place like Era to get a little internet street cred.

I doubt there have been more than a couple true insiders who have leaked anything here or elsewhere. It's hard getting into the games industry. It's even harder to build your way into a position of confidence where you would have access to information that would be of any import to users on a forum like Era. Once you get that far, now the question becomes, "Am I willing to risk my career, the respect of my peers, and my monthly paycheck to get a few up votes online?". Imagine yourself for 5-10 years in the industry. The answer is an easy "Hell No!".

So where do some of the true statements come from?

Honestly, most of them are just good guesses by people who pay attention. Maybe once every decade a real Leaker emerges who gets caught fast, fired, and settles out of court for a shit ton of money before realizing they need to start a new career.

The rest are from people who thought they could trust a friend. They tell a friend a couple cool things in confidence. That friend tells another friend, and then it's over. It leaks. Frequently when this happens the actual insider realizes they fucked up, they probably don't get caught the first time, and they never do it again.

People in the industry talk to each other once they trust you. When I used to report from major shows I had some trust. People trusted me in part because I didn't promote myself since I exclusively sold my content to other sites. I had many a person at major studios or platform holders tell me stuff I could of sold as a scoop for hundreds of dollars. I never did. Why? Because I always asked first. A simple "Can I write a story about this?" almost always followed by a, "Please don't.". I never did in that case. I even had a drunk person once say yes. I followed up in the morning and he apologized and said no. When I didn't, he thanked me by introducing me to a few other people to get on the record interviews from.

People need to stop worshiping "insiders". They are almost never who you think they are or know anything first hand.

Absolutely. Great recap of the "people" side of things. Leaks do happen by accident though through other means such as poor infosec, retailer slipups, etc.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The AI thing playstation are bringing in for the PS5 was going to lead to those solutions being part of the answers, I assume this is to protect the method. I am sure we kinda knew it, it's just the patent that is new.

Hopefully it isn't in your face like that and you get the various ways to progress as a list of solutions.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
New thread worthy?

Oh, god... i hope this doesn´t become real (it´s still a patent, tho):

Sony has had a. patent approved for a "direct to consumer micro transaction store front, targeted by AI"

And opinion of Dark1x about that:

just to clarify, as i saw the patent before Dark1x tweeted about it, this isnt a "MTX patent".
sony have been patenting an AI assistant for playstation for some time, and this specific patent is about a suggestion of what "resource" would be useful for the encounter the player is stuck at, that isnt necessarily MTX driven, usage of microtransactions was just one of the examples suggested, another example was just the assistant recommending the player to use one of the resources already in their disposal as other players have found it useful in this encounter.

Oct 27, 2017
Sony patent a lot of things. Didn't they patent something that detects previously game discs before the PS4 unveiling and people got worried they going to block used games.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
just to clarify, as i saw the patent before Dark1x tweeted about it, this isnt a "MTX patent".
sony have been patenting an AI assistant for playstation for some time, and this specific patent is about a suggestion of what "resource" would be useful for the encounter the player is stuck at, that isnt necessarily MTX driven, usage of microtransactions was just one of the examples suggested, another example was just the assistant recommending the player to use one of the resources already in their disposal as other players have found it useful in this encounter.
That remains an idea I do not want to see unless it is completely optional and has no impact on design.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
That remains an idea I do not want to see unless it is completely optional and has no impact on design.
its definitely going to be an optional thing, sony are aware that many core gamers dont want an assistant that tells them how to play a game. I am just saying that the patent itself isnt inherently targeting consumers to buy microtransactions.
Honestly, there are stuff that i am worried about a lot more that could potentionally affect design based on current industrial trends than an AI assistant, but i agree 100% that i am against any move that hurts games i love. just wanted to correct any potential misunderstanding over "sony patented predatory MTX mechanisms" when that didnt really happen.

EDIT: i also get where you are coming from in terms of worry about forcing online connection on single player titles because of this, but going by how global sony are in terms of sales, it doesnt make sense for them to force online only, they are potentionally cutting off a fairly larget portion of their audience that way, as the spread of theri audience go to all kinds of countries. in addition all of sony's AAA SP titles have been fully playable from disc without a need of a patch or whatever, so its clear that they care about those games being playable even when offline.

Last edited:

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I keep forgetting that xbox controllers still use AA batteries.

I feel like it's something from the 90's

Did we get confirmation that xbox series x controllers use internal batteries?
I really, really hope that they will not use internal batteries. I have really gotten used to just using high quality rechargeables and swapping them out as needed. My old PS3 and Xbox 360 controllers batteries have all gone to shit and don't last very long.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Bloodborne 2 on the PS5. You keep dying to the same boss over and over again.
Playstation AI: "According to my data, the best way for you to beat this boss is by "getting gud"."

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It could simply bring up youtube or PS share videos of that section the player is in? Or to a web page with tips. Or perhaps connect you to people that can help you get through by share play?

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playstation AI: "According to my data, the best way for you to beat this boss is by "getting gud"."
The AI then links you to a page to buy the Pro controller so your inputs would register better and you can practise easier

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It could simply bring up youtube or PS share videos of that section the player is in? Or to a web page with tips. Or perhaps connect you to people that can help you get through by share play?
going by the patents i saw, its quite deeper than that, the AI sees what kinds of resources are most commonly used for certain encounters by other players, and then when the player requests assistance, the AI will offer what other players have tried.
for example, i am playing through nioh right now, and if there is a fire boss, and the AI notices many other players wore armor with fire buffs while defeating said boss, it might offer the player to equip their armor with the highest fire defense rating. However its not necessarily telling the player "go to the store and buy the ULTIMATE FIRE DEFENSE ARMOR" or whatever, that is not what has been patented.

I am surprised that there hasnt been an attempt at an AI assistant for games outside of the april fools joke by NVidia

Jan 20, 2019
going by the patents i saw, its quite deeper than that, the AI sees what kinds of resources are most commonly used for certain encounters by other players, and then when the player requests assistance, the AI will offer what other players have tried.
for example, i am playing through nioh right now, and if there is a fire boss, and the AI notices many other players wore armor with fire buffs while defeating said boss, it might offer the player to equip their armor with the highest fire defense rating. However its not necessarily telling the player "go to the store and buy the ULTIMATE FIRE DEFENSE ARMOR" or whatever, that is not what has been patented.

I am surprised that there hasnt been an attempt at an AI assistant for games outside of the april fools joke by NVidia

That is actualy cool.

Obvious there is always the option of turning pay to win, need to see it in action.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

with the built-in always listening voice assistant you can order dominos which in return will heal your character. win-win!
4theplayers

Status
Not open for further replies.