• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
Alright y'all, here are the rules

I've discussed this with B-Dubs and here's what we're constituting as a reveal event:

• Make a bet on the exact release date of the PS5 reveal
  • Interviews with Wired (or another publication) and State of Play events do count BUT:
  • Either full spec reveal (CPU / GPU / RAM / etc) or showing the actual console (think Series X reveal) must happen. Not just a shadow or some shit. I mean showing the whole damn thing.
  • Leaks do NOT count
  • Votes for "none" don't count. Only concrete dates.
  • You win? The staff will give you an awesome tag
  • You lose? You get an embarrassing avatar of my choosing until the PS5 is RELEASED

Who dares risk their avatars? Win and get a tag. Lose and, well, I get to pick your avatar

This ain't rocket science. Just use this as a guide:

5L2QwEg.png
Ok, I want that avatar... 26/02

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
P
Me too. The irony is that nothing has happened, we haven't learned anything, and there's actually nothing to follow. We're in a desert, looking for a mirage, compelled only by thirst. This is madness.
It is madness and nothing has really happened but I just love reading about next gen rumours and speculation. It can't come fast enough.

Last edited:

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I've discussed this with B-Dubs and here's what we're constituting as a reveal event:

• Interviews with Wired (or another publication) and State of Play events do count BUT:
  • Either full spec reveal (CPU / GPU / RAM / etc) or showing the actual console (think Series X reveal) must happen. Not just a shadow or some shit. I mean showing the whole damn thing.
  • Leaks do NOT count
  • You lose? You get an embarrassing avatar of my choosing until the PS5 is RELEASED

Who dares risk their avatars? Win and get a tag. Lose and, well, I get to pick your avatar

5L2QwEg.png

Ok, i bite. 10th of March. I think they will want it our before GDC so devs can discuss more freely about next-gen games.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017

• Leaks do NOT count

5L2QwEg.png

It's going to be Feb 14th.....I feel like Sony will be in a loving mood to their fans on Valentine's Day.

Also 14th = 1 + 4 = 5.....PS5 incoming!

😁

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem

Xanfrabot

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

• Leaks do NOT count

5L2QwEg.png

April 14.

You heard it here first, folks.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020

• Leaks do NOT count

5L2QwEg.png
They will announce specs with a wired piece before GDC but the big blowout isn't happening until last of us 2 is released.

article around March 10. State of play around June 10

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Uhh...I must've missed this little nugget. 👀 By "vibe," you think he means gut feeling or is this what he's actually heard from those on the inside?

Oct 27, 2017
I still find it odd that Sony let the price thing be known. Why would they do that? As a way of informing shareholders? Muddying the waters for MS?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
They will announce specs with a wired piece before GDC but the big blowout isn't happening until last of us 2 is released.

article around March 10. State of play around June 10
people also thought sony would have a state of play during E3 this year, but the state of play episode ended up being a month early and then they had a death stranding release date trailer 2 weeks before E3, and had nothing during E3, i exepct that to stay the same this year, they said they arent at E3, so they wont have anything during E3, they will let third parties sell their console there.

Also should be obvious, but the marketing team did not delay their reveal by 3 to 4 months because of one game, they have tight schedules on these stuff for both them and their partners.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
But this Tassi tweet is the kind of thing I expected to start seeing the longer Sony stays silent.

they've still said more than they did with PS4. The financial stuff was generic 'we can't talk specifics as it is a competitive marketplace' being blown out if proportion

unless there is a specific leak quoting sources saying Sony is internally panicking, then it's all conjecture based on nothing

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
they've still said more than they did with PS4. The financial stuff was generic 'we can't talk specifics as it is a competitive marketplace' being blown out if proportion

unless there is a specific leak quoting sources saying Sony is internally panicking, then it's all conjecture based on nothing
Oftentimes appearance is more damaging image-wise than objective reality. Look, I'm not saying it's time for panic, but Sony will start getting negative PR like this the longer this goes on.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Sony on the back foot? More like biding their time.
Hi Tom,

as an editor for the verge have you noticed that it's a trend for all tech companies to take shorter amounts of time between reveal and release? I noticed things used to be revealed earlier but given the internet can be a giant megaphone now with YouTube and written articles does that mean companies are willing to wait and own thenews cycle before release date like movies do nowadays?

Or am I taking crazy pills?

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

• Leaks do NOT count

5L2QwEg.png
Talk about a suckers bet. <2% chance to get it right.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Wasn't that the publisher though and not a Sony showing?
Sony didn't show that game. Sony hasn't shown a single game yet for PS5.
its a PS5 game with explicit PS5 mention in the trailer, its sony who wanted to show it there.

At the moment counter play and gearbox signed the game to be a PS5 launch title, sony practically took marketing control of the game.
Hi Tom,

as an editor for the verge have you noticed that it's a trend for all tech companies to take shorter amounts of time between reveal and release? I noticed things used to be revealed earlier but given the internet can be a giant megaphone now with YouTube and written articles does that mean companies are willing to wait and own thenews cycle before release date like movies do nowadays?

Or am I taking crazy pills?
most hardware companies dont need a long time from reveal to release, because its just hardware, the same cannot be said for new gen consoles though, as those are sold based on their software library, neither of the console manufacturers will do the full unveil of their console in september/october because they need to announce software for the hardware and third parties want to also annoucne their software for the console.

Doct0r

Jun 7, 2018
Durham, UK
Hello Resetera. To spice things up with the predictions, whoever guesses the reveal date* first and correctly I will preorder you a PS5 . No bamboozle!
<3
Edit: Please quote this post or tag a mod!

Edit Pt2: The rules are changing slightly. Everyone who guesses the correct date will be put into the hat and the winner will be announced from there. Thank you for sticking with me, I'm terrible at organising giveaways it seems!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.